Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJE) Minister Dr. Virendra Kumar Launches Central Sector scheme “SMILE: Support for Marginalised Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise” at New Delhi with outlay of Rs 365 Crore for 2021-22 to 2025-26. The Scheme is designed by Department of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- Objective – To provide welfare and rehabilitation to the Transgender community and the people engaged in the act of begging.
i.There are 2 sub-schemes under this scheme which includes ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons’ and ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging’.
- These sub schemes will be implemented by National Coordinators along with a suitable Ministry.
- The components will be monitored at regular intervals by the Ministry including Project Monitoring Unit (PMU) or any other agency/unit appointed by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
Focus of Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons:
i.Scholarships for Transgender Students from IX standard to post-graduation (PG) inorder to enable them to complete their education along with Skill Development and Livelihood management under Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi (PM-DAKSH).
ii.A comprehensive package in convergence with Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) supporting Gender-Reaffirmation surgeries is included through selected hospitals.
iii.Shelter Homes ‘Garima Greh’ where food, clothing, recreational facilities, skill development opportunities, recreational activities and medical support. will be provided.
iv.Provision of Transgender Protection Cell is been set up for transgender protection in each state to monitor cases of offences and to ensure timely registration, investigation and prosecution of offences.
- E-Services (National Portal & Helpline and Advertisement) and other Welfare Measures are also provided under the scheme for transgenders.
Focus of Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging:
i.To Survey and Identify beneficiaries by the Implementing Agencies.
ii.To mobilise the persons engaged in begging and to avail the services in the Shelter Homes.
iii.To facilitate education for children engaged in the act of Begging and children of persons engaged in the act of Begging through shelter / rescue homes and additionally Skill development/vocational training will also be provided.
- Pilot projects have been initiated on Comprehensive Rehabilitation in 10 cities namely Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Indore, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna and Ahmedabad.
Recent related news:
On the occasion of the Mahaparinirvana Diwas 2021(6th December), Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, Dr Virendra Kumar launched the ‘Shreshtha Yojna’ and National Fellowship Management and Grievance Redressal Portal in the event organised by Dr Ambedkar Foundation at Dr Ambedkar International Center, New Delhi.
About Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJ&E):
Union Minister – Virendra Kumar (Tikamgarh, Madhya Pradesh)
Minister of State – Ramdas Athawale (Rajya sabha Maharashtra) ; A. Narayanaswamy (Chitradurga, Karnataka); Pratima Bhoumik (Tripura West, Tripura)