The Union government’s Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has agreed to set up India’s first defense industrial park at Ottappalam a proposal from the Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation.
- The project will be recognized as a part of the Make in India, Make in Kerala project.
- The proposed project aimed to attract the component manufacturers in the defense industry with modern infrastructure facilities.
- The project will be developed under the Modified Industrial Infrastructure upgradation Scheme (MIIUS) as per the Union government decision.
- It is expected that the park will be established in 231.25 crore, Union government and Kinfra will invest in the project.
- The park would be established in 60 acres of land.
- The defense park help to bridge the gap related to the defense component manufacturing.
- It also helps in providing opportunity in defense-related export of products from small- and medium-sized enterprises.
- Such sort of project attracts the foreign investors and help in the Make in
- Ottappalam will be proved as the best location for the project in every manner.
- The park will have its own development and research center with 24*7 power and water supply.
- Defence Minister of India- Manohar Parrikar
- Defence Secretary –G Mohan Kumar
- Chief Scientific Advisor and Director General DRDO – G. Satheesh Reddy
- Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) – General Dalbir Suhag
- Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS) – Admiral Robin Dhowan
- Chief of the Air Staff (CAS) – Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha