The Smart Cities Mission of the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs(MoHUA) has won the Platinum icon award in the Digital India Awards (DIA) 2022 under the Data Sharing and Use for Socio Economic Development category for their initiative “DataSmart Cities: Empowering Cities through Data”.
- The aim of DIA 2022: To inspire and motivate not only government entities but also startups in fulfilling the Digital India vision.
- 2022 marks the 7th edition of the Digital India Awards (DIA).
About DataSmart Cities Initiative – Smart Cities Mission
i.The DataSmart Cities Initiative is a key step in creating a robust data ecosystem that enables evidence-based decision-making in cities. The initiative focus on evolution of culture of data driven governance in Smart Cities.
ii.Aim: To harness the power of data for better governance in India’s 100 Smart Cities
iii.The initiative encourages the cities across India setup building blocks of Data Culture at the City level such as setting up Smart City Data Alliance, Smart Cities Data Network, and City Data Strategy etc.
iv.It uses “People, Process, Platforms” approach to imbibe a culture of data awareness and data usage in city functioning.
v.To promote the importance of data for accelerating the power of city’s existing initiatives, Digital platforms like Smart Cities Open Data Portal (SCODP), India Urban Observatory (IUO), India Urban Data Exchange (IUDX), Assessment & Monitoring Platform for Liveable, Inclusive & Future-ready urban India (AMPLIFI) and Geo-spatial Management Information System (GMIS) have been developed to enable cities better manage, share, and leverage available data.
vi.These platforms host more than 55,000 datasets and over 1400 Application Programming Interface (APIs) engaging with more than 15 Lakh users for evidence-based planning, cross-city assessments, multi-disciplinary research and improving socio-economic outcomes.
About Digital India Awards (DIA):
Digital India Awards (DIA) are instituted under the aegis of National Portal of India to honour and encourage innovative digital solutions by government entities at all levels(Centre, State & local bodies) to fulfil the Digital India vision.
- The National Portal has been designed and developed by National Informatics Centre (NIC), Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India as a mission mode project.
The Digital India Awards are presented under 7 categories: .
- Digital Initiatives at Grassroot Level – Recognizing initiatives that use Digital Technology in domains like agriculture, health, education, employment, labour, skilling etc. at the level of Panchayats, Local Bodies, Sub-Districts.
- Digital Empowerment of Citizens – recognises Universally accessible, anytime anywhere access to Digital resources and promoting collaboration in participative governance and digital literacy leading to enhanced ease of living.
- Digital Initiatives for Ease of Doing Business – recognises Digital initiatives creating impacts by reducing time, costs and efforts in setting up, conducting and operating business activities.
- Public Digital Platforms – Central Ministries, Departments and States – recognises excellence in design and implementation of a Public Digital Platform with a wide scale coverage and having high impact in the society
- Data Sharing and Use for Socio Economic Development – recognises the initiatives used for sharing of Government Data by Ministries/Departments/Organizations, States, Cities and ULBs to create a vibrant data ecosystem in India for analysis, decision-making, innovation, services, economic development and public good.
- Digital Initiatives in Collaboration with Startups– recognises the excellence by Government Entities in collaboration with Startups for enhancement of digital governance, improving the experience of digital services and digital empowerment of citizens
- Best Web & Mobile Initiatives Complying with Guidelines for Indian Government Websites (GIGW) & Accessibility Guidelines – recognises Web & Mobile initiatives that ensures universal accessibility, rich content & barrier-free access on any device.
Winners of Digital India Awards 2022:
|Digital Empowerment of Citizens|
|Platinum Icon||National Agriculture Market (eNAM)|
|Gold Icon||Transport Mission Mode Project (eTransport|
|Silver Icon||Judgment Search Portal|
|Digital Initiatives at Grassroot Leve|
|Platinum Icon||e-Vivechna App (MP)|
|Gold Icon||DeGS Computer Basic Training Grassroot level (Jharkhand)|
|Silver Icon||Ksheerasree Portal (Kerala)|
|Digital Initiatives for Ease of Doing Business|
|Platinum Icon||Mine Mitra (UP)|
|Gold Icon||eAbkari (Odisha)|
|Silver Icon||Invest Punjab|
|Data Sharing and Use for Socio Economic Development|
|Platinum Icon||Smart Cities Mission, M/o Housing and Urban Affairs|
|Gold Icon||Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)|
|Silver Icon||Center for e-governance (Karnataka)|
|Public Digital Platforms|
|Platinum Icon||DUARE SARKAR (West Bengal)|
|Gold Icon||e-Services Manipur|
|Central Ministries, Departments|
|Platinum Icon||Indian Customs Electronic Data Interchange Gateway (ICEGATE) Portal|
|Digital Initiatives in Collaboration with Startups|
|Platinum||Digital Workforce Management System (Kerala)|
|Gold Icon||Smart Nutrient Management of the Soil (Telangana)|
|Silver Icon||Digital Deposit Refund System (Uttarakhand)|
|Best Web & Mobile Initiatives Complying with GIGW & Accessibility Guidelines|
|Platinum Icon||Bilaspur District Website (Chhattisgarh)|
|Gold Icon||Website of Kottayam District (Kerala)|
|Silver Icon||Website of Central Institute of Petrochemicals Engineering &|
About Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY):
Union Minister– Ashwini Vaishnaw(Rajya Sabha- Odisha)
Minister of State– Rajeev Chandrasekhar(Rajya Sabha- Karnataka)