Country’s capital New Delhi has become the first state in the country to announce a scheme for witness protection notified by the Delhi Witness Protection Scheme,2015.For implementation of this scheme the government will make budgetary provisions in its annual budget.
This scheme is for protecting witness in criminal cases.Government framed such policy following the directions of the high court which ,in the Jessica lal and Nitesh katara murder cases
The objective of the Scheme is to “ensure that the investigation ,prosecution and trial of criminal offences is not prejudiced because witnesses are frightened to give evidence without protection from violent or other criminal recrimination”
ABOUT WITNESS PROTECTION SCHEME:
- Government has appointed Delhi State Legal Services Authority (DSLSA) as the competent authority for implementation of the scheme. All decisions and reviews will be under the purview of DSLSA.
- The witness has to apply for protection following which DSLSA will ask a threat analysis report from Delhi Police
- All hearings of applications will be held in-camera and full confidentially will be maintained. The witness will have the option of applying for concealment of identity.
- Witnesses under three categories will be provided protection, depending on the threat perception. The categories have been draw up based on type of threat and duration for which the protection has to be given.
- For example, if there is a threat to life and it affects the day-to-day activities of a witness for a substantial period during the investigation or even after that, then the person will be in the ‘A’ category.