Defence Minister Arun Jaitley was on an official visit to Russia from 21st to 23rd June 2017. The visited was aimed at strengthening bilateral defence and security cooperation between India and Russia.
- During this visit, Arun Jaitley co-chaired two meetings with Russian Government.
- Jaitley also addressed the main Plenary Session of Technoprom, which is a major annual science, technology and innovation exhibition of Russia.
- Chairman of DRDO, Secretary of Department of Atomic Energy, Secretary of Earth Sciences and Senior officials from Department of Space, Defence and other ministries accompanied Arun Jaitley during this visit.
Defence Minister Arun Jaitley co-chaired 1st meeting of Indo-Russia committee on science & technology
India, Russia to step up cooperation in science, technology
On June 21, 2017, Mr. Jaitley co-chaired the first meeting of the India-Russia High Level Committee on Science and Technology with the Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin.
India-Russia High-Level Committee on Science and Technology is a newly established committee to discuss cooperation in high technologies.
- The meeting was held on the sidelines of the Technoprom exhibition in the city of Novosibirsk, Siberia, Russia.
- During Joint Science & Tech Committee meeting, range of bilateral areas of cooperative projects including space & marine technologies, IT, Deep Ocean engineering as well as modelling & simulation were finalised.
- Cooperation in these areas would be undertaken through futuristic projects with participation of research centres & innovative industrial enterprises of both countries. Working procedures for the Committee have been devised to ensure that mechanism will be dynamic and take speedy decisions towards implementation of joint projects.
- DescribingRussia as a partner of choice for India in high technology sector, Jaitley said the new mechanism will further energise the bilateral partnership as it will help in opening up advanced areas of cooperation which will benefit the future generations.
- Besides, India is considering launching a nano satellite of Samara State University on an Indian launch vehicle.
India, Russia agree to roadmap for development of defence co-operation
On June 23, 2017, Mr. Jaitley co-chaired the 17th meeting of the India-Russia Intergovernmental Commission on Military-Technical Cooperation in Moscow with Russian Defence Minister General Sergei Shoigu.
- The meeting reviewed the entire range of military and military-technical cooperation issues between India and Russia within the framework of the Special and Privileged Strategic Partnership between India and Russia.
- India and Russia inked a protocol that lays out the roadmap to further boost bilateral defence cooperation, which ranges from joint development of futuristic weapon systems to a major upgrade of military-to-military ties.
- It also aims to enhance cooperation in the field of political and military dialogue, exercises, exchange of visits, military cooperation and training.
- Both sides also agreed to conclude ongoing negotiations for different platforms.
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian ruble
- President: Vladimir Putin