The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) & Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding for mutual collaboration in the field of Polar Biology (Biology of Polar regions).
- Under the agreement, both organizations will work under one roof and work jointly to address relevant questions in Polar Biology.
- The centre point of collaboration between the 2 entities will be the biotechnological applications of polar microbes.
- The MoU was signed by Renu Swarup, Secretary of DBT & Dr. Madhavan Nair Rajeevan, Secretary of MoES.
i.Under the MoU, the two entities will collaborate in mutually agreed areas of research in POLAR sciences.
ii.The two entities will set up DBT-MoES Polar Research Center (Joint Laboratories) at MoES stations in Polar Regions to strengthen the collaboration and speed up the research.
- Joint Laboratories will enable researchers to perform the experiments on the site and reduce the need to transport the samples to parent laboratories in India.
- It will generate valuable information and novel products from these unique environments.
iii.The initiative will be taken-up in mission mode through networking with the elite institutions in India.
The Polar Region which includes the Antarctic, Arctic, Southern Ocean and Himalayas remains an unexplored system.
- The region has a unique ecosystem. They experience extreme climates compared to the rest of the world.
MoES’s 2021-26 Plan
MoES’s 2021-26 plan includes a weather forecasting programme for wind and solar energy sectors, in which weather plays a crucial role.
- The 2021-2026 plan has an outline of the major projects that the ministry will undertake during this period.
Recent Related News:
March 4, 2021, The 2nd edition of Global Bio-India 2021 was held virtually from New Delhi on March 1-3, 2021 which was inaugurated by Union Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan, Ministry of Science & Technology.
About Department of Biotechnology (DBT)
It comes under the Ministry of Science & Technology
Secretary – Renu Swarup
Head Office – New Delhi
About Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES)
Minister of State (Independent Charge) – Dr. Jitendra Singh (Udhampur – Jammu and Kashmir)