We are here for you to provide the important current affairs October 1 2017 which have unique updates of all daily events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, India Today, Indian Express, Business Standard, all Government official websites. Our complete current affairs helps you to get more marks in Banking, insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railway and all other competitive Exams.
- Daily Current Affairs
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2017
- Read Our 2017 Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2017 October
India opens two border crossing points with Myanmar, Bangladesh
In a bid to strengthen bilateral relations with its eastern neighbours, India has opened two immigration check posts along the borders with Myanmar and Bangladesh.
Details about new Immigration Check Posts along Indo-Maynmar Border:
- Indian Government has designated Zorinpuiland check post in Lawngtlai district of Mizoram as an authorised immigration check post for entry into or exit from India with valid travel documents for all classes of passengers to or from Myanmar.
- An agreement on Zorinpui was included in the joint statement issued during the visit of the then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Myanmar in May, 2012.
- It is to be noted that India shares a 1,643-km-long border with Myanmar which touches Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram.
Details about new Immigration Check Posts along Indo-Bangladesh Border:
- Indian Government has also designated Kawrpuichhuah land check postin Lunglei district of Mizoram as an authorised immigration check post for entry into or exit from India with valid travel documents for all classes of passengers to or from Bangladesh.
- India shares a 4,096-km-long border with Bangladesh which touches Assam, Tripura, Mizoram, Meghalaya and West Bengal.
Quick Facts about Myanmar:
- Capital: Naypyidaw
- Currency: Burmese kyat
- Current President: Htin Kyaw
Quick Facts about Bangladesh:
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Bangladeshi taka
- Current Prime Minister: Sheikh Hasina
Government approved development of Harohalli industrial park in Karnataka
Central Government has given approval for the combined development of phase II and phase III of Harohalli industrial zone in Ramnagara district of Karnataka.
More Details about Harohalli industrial park in Karnataka:
- This industrial park will be built by Karnataka Industrial Areas Development Board (KIADB) in about 904.86 hectares of land.
- Cost of the project is pegged at Rs 1,561 crore and is expected to generate 23,500 jobs.
- KIADB will develop common infrastructure like roads, water sources, power, drainage and street lightening, among others, as well as social infrastructure facilities like banks, post office, canteen, and primary health centres in this industrial park.
- As per KIADB, there are no court cases pending against this project. Moreover, land for phase II and III has been acquired and compensation to farmers has already been paid.
High-Level Meeting on Railways Safety held in Mumbai
On September 30, 2017, a high-level meeting on Railways Safety was held at Western Railways (WR) headquarter’s at Churchgate in Mumbai, under the chairmanship of Railway Minister Mr. Piyush Goyal. The objective of this meeting was to comprehensively review Safety measures in Mumbai Suburban Railways as well as entire Indian Railways. Mr. Ashwani Lohani – Chairman of Railway Board along with all railway board members was present in this meeting.
Important Decisions taken at High-Level Meeting on Railways Safety held in Mumbai:
- Foot Over Bridges (FOBs), platforms and pathways on platform end to be treated as Safety items having highest priority with no restriction of budget.
- Additional Escalators have been sanctioned at stations of the Mumbai Suburban system having high footfall with the details to be finalised within 15 days.
- For next 18 months, General Managers of Railway zones have been delegated powers without limit for Safety related issues.
- 200 officers will be relocated from Head Quarters to field to strengthen ground operations and project implementation.
- Delegation of financial & administration powers to field units by October 2017 to reduce red tape and push development & delivery.
- Within the next 15 months, CCTV cameras will be installed in all suburban trains in Mumbai with monitoring mechanism.
Madhya Pradesh launches ‘Single Click Pension Delivery’ scheme
On October 1, 2017, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan launched ‘Single Click Pension Delivery’ scheme. Under this scheme, the money will go directly into the account of the beneficiaries.
‘Single Click Pension Delivery’ scheme and “Shataayu Award” by Madhya Pradesh Government:
- ‘Single Click Pension Delivery’ scheme will benefit 35 lakh people in Madhya Pradesh.
- On October 1, 2017, Mr. Chouhan also honoured the elderly who completed the age of 100 years with the “Shataayu” award.
- Not only in Bhopal but in entire Madhya Pradesh older people, who had completed the age of hundred years, have been awarded with this honour.
- Shawl, Shriphal, and cash prize of Rs. one thousand were presented in respect to all the senior citizens.
L&T Infotech bags $100-mn Government contract to nab tax evaders
L&T Infotech, the infotech arm of engineering giant Larsen & Toubro has bagged $ 100-mn Government contract for an initiative to use social media analytics to identify tax non-compliance.
About Social media analytics initiative to identify tax non-compliance:
- Since the note ban in November 2016, the government has been putting in lots of efforts to plug the loopholes in the taxation system using advanced technology.
- L&T Infotech Chief Executive and Managing Director Sanjay Jalona has mentioned that the project involves creating a ‘semantic web’ where web pages are structured and tagged in such a way that can be directly read by the computers.
- It is to be noted that India is among countries with lowest tax to Gross Domestic product (GDP) ratios among its peers.
- This development indicates that government has decided to use the best that data analytics offers.
Quick Facts about L&T Infotech:
- Founded in: April 1997
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Current CEO & MD: Sanjay Jalona
Third Edition of ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ held in New Delhi
On 1st – 5th October 2017, the 3rd annual ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ is held at Dilli Haat, in New Delhi.
Women of India Organic Festival:
i. The ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ is hosted by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
ii. Ms.Maneka Sanjay Gandhi, Union Minister for Women and Child Development, inaugurated the festival.
iii. Mr.Virendra Kumar, Minister of State, Ministry of Women and Child Development was present on the occasion.
iv. The theme for 2017 is ‘Good for Women; Good for India; Good for You’.
v. Around 530 women from all over India participate in this festival.
vi. Focus of the festival is on highlighting the health and environmental advantages of organic goods.
vii. This festival provides a platform for women to sell various organic products that could be used for food, wellness, personal care, home improvement, kitchen composters and solar products.
About Minsitry of Women & Child Development:
i. Headquarters – New Delhi
ii. Minister of Women and Child Development – Ms.Maneka Gandhi
‘No helmet, no petrol’ rule comes into force in Andhra Pradesh
On 28th September 2017, ‘No helmet, no petrol’ rule for two wheelers came to act in Andhra Pradesh.
No helmet, no petrol:
i. ‘No helmet, no petrol’ rule prohibits petrol supply to two wheeler riders without helmet.
ii. Mr.Chandrababu Naidu has sanctioned Rs.10 crore for implementation of this rule.
iii. He has urged all the petrol bunk dealers to co-operate in this implementation.
iv. Officials have been ordered to conduct a weekly check on the motorists.
v. This has been done to reduce the number of road accidents.
vi. Mr.Chandrababu Naidu said that road safety rules must be implemented strictly.
vii. He advised the officials to geotag the vehicles.
viii.Car drivers have been mandated to wear seat belts.
About Andhra Pradesh:
i. Capital – Hyderabad (currently), Amaravati (in 10 years)
ii. Chief Minister – Mr.N.Chandrababu Naidu
iii. Governor – Mr.E.S.L.Narasimhan
Burqa ban comes into effect in Austria
Austria’s law banning face veils such as burqa or niqab, came into force from October 1, 2017. This legislation was brought in by the outgoing centrist government of Chancellor Christian Kern.
More details about Burqa ban in Austria:
- The Austrian law called “Prohibition for the Covering of the Face” forbids the wearing of the full Islamic veil and other items concealing the face in public places and buildings.
- Violations carry a possible fine of 150 Euros and police are authorized to use force with people who resist showing their faces.
- However, exemptions under certain conditions include items like clown disguises at cultural events, work wear such as medical masks and scarves in cold weather.
Quick Facts about Austria:
- Capital: Vienna
- Currency: Euro
- Current Chancellor: Christian Kern
Turkey opens military training base in Somalia capital
Turkey has opened its largest military base in Africa, in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia to train Somali Soldiers.
- Turkey’s relations with Somalia date back to the Ottoman Empire. Capitalising on this, President Tayyip Erdogan’s government in Turkey has become a close ally of the Somali government in recent years.
- Al-Shabab, a militant group has been wreaking havoc in Somalia for more than two decades.
- Opening of the training base will help Somali army in fighting the militants and will also strengthen ties between two countries.
More Details about Turkey’s military training base in Somalia:
- The newly-constructed facility includes army dormitories, training grounds and prisons.
- It has been built at a cost of $50 million.
- More than 10,000 Somali soldiers will be trained by Turkish officers at the base.
- Some 200 Turkish military officers will be deployed to the base to oversee the training.
Quick Facts about Turkey:
- Capital: Ankara
- Currency: Turkish lira
- Current President: Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
Quick Facts about Somalia:
- Capital: Mogadishu
- Currency: Somali Shilling
- Current Prime Minister: Hassan Ali Khayre
UAE begins collecting ‘sin’ taxes on tobacco, energy drinks
From October 1, 2017, United Arab Emirates (UAE) has begun collecting new “sin” taxes on tobacco products, energy drinks and soft drinks. Tobacco and energy drinks will be taxed at 100% and soft drinks at 50%.
What is ‘Sin’ Tax:
- A sin taxis an excise tax specifically levied on certain goods deemed harmful to society, for example alcohol and tobacco, candies, drugs, soft drinks, fast foods, coffee and sugar.
- Governments across the world selectively impose ‘sin’ tax either to reduce usage of harmful products, to increase existing government revenue or to find new sources of revenue.
‘Sin’ Tax in UAE:
- ‘Sin’ Tax has been imposed as UAE and other oil-rich Gulf nations have struggled with low global energy prices.
- Besides, UAE will start collecting a 5-percent value-added tax on certain goods in January 2018.
- It is to be noted that all six members of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) – Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and UAE have agreed to begin collecting so-called VAT taxes.
Quick Facts about UAE:
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- Currency: UAE dirham
- Current President: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Banking & Finance
US fines HSBC $175m over ‘unsound’ FX trading
On September 29, 2017, The U.S. Federal Reserve fined HSBC Holdings PLC $175 million for “unsafe and unsound practices” in its foreign exchange trading business.
Reasons for fine and recommended measures:
- HSBC was fined as it failed to detect and address its traders misusing confidential customer information, as well as using electronic chat rooms to communicate with competitors about their trading positions.
- US authorities accused HSBC dealers of sharing confidential information about client orders and coordinating trades to boost their own profits.
- HSBC has also been asked to improve its controls and compliance risk management concerning the firm’s FX trading.
- US Federal Reserve has ordered HSBC to implement measures to address its “unsafe and unsound practices” and carry out “an enhanced written internal audit programme”.
Appointments & Resigns
Sambit Patra appointed as Non-Official Director of ONGC
On 29th September 2017, BJP’s national spokesperson Mr.Sambit Patra was appointed as the Non-Official Director on the board of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. (ONGC).
Sambit Patra as Non-Official Director of ONGC:
i. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the appointment of Mr.Sambit Patra to the post of Non-Official Director of ONGC for a period of 3years.
ii. Several political leaders have been appointed as independent directors of various public sector units.
iii. Ms.Shazia Ilmi of AAP and Mr.Syed Zafar Islam of BJP were appointed as Independent directors of Engineers India Limited and Air India respectively, in 2017.
iv. According to the rules of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), companies should have at least 50 % of directors as non-executive or independent directors with at least one woman director.
About ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd.):
i. Headquarters – Dehradun, Uttarakhand
ii. Chairman & MD – Mr.Shashi Shanker
Saudi Arabia appoints first woman to senior government post
On 27th September 2017, Saudi Arabia appointed a woman to a senior government post for the first time, in Riyadh.
First woman Senior Government Official of Saudi Arabia:
i. Ms.Eman Al-Ghamidi was appointed as the assistant mayor of Al Khubar governorate.
ii. She has become the first woman senior government official of Saudi Arabia.
iii. The Center for International Communication at the Ministry of Culture and Information, Saudi Arabia, announced that a woman has been appointed as assistant mayor of Al Khubar governorate.
iv. It also stated that, this has been done as a part of boosting the number of females in leadership positions in line with Vision 2030.
v. It also said that, Vision 2030 will raise women’s share of the labour market to 30 % from 22 % currently.
About Saudi Arabia:
i. Capital – Riyadh
ii. Currency – Saudi riyal
iii. Official language – Arabic
iv. King – Mr.Salman
Awards & Recognition
Indian entrepreneur Birendra Sasmal wins UK business award for innovative IT solutions
A Ghana-based Indian entrepreneur named Birendra Sasmal has won a prestigious International Business Person of the Year at the Asian Achievers Awards in London for turning his company into a thriving Information Technology (IT), telecoms and manufacturing success story with operations across West Africa.
About Birendra Sasmal:
- Birendra Sasmal is the CEO of Subah Group, which is headquartered in Accra, Ghana.
- Subah Group employs around 350 people with offices in Guinea, Sierra Leone, New York City and Dubai.
- Under Sasmal’s leadership, the group’s revenues have increased by over 3,000 per cent and it has been named among one of Africa’s fastest growing tech companies.
- Birendra Sasmal believes that next phase of growth for the IT industry will most likely involve artificial intelligence.
INA veteran, 91 year old Rama Khandwala awarded the ‘Best Tourist Guide’
On 27th September 2017, tour guide Ms.Rama Khandwala was awarded a National Tourism Award in the `Best Tourist Guide’ category, in Delhi.
Rama Khandwala awarded ‘Best Tourist Guide’:
i. Ms.Rama Khandwala was awarded the `Best Tourist Guide’ award by President Mr.Ram Nath Kovind.
ii. The award was presented by the Ministry of Tourism.
iii. Ms.Rama Khandwala is 91 years old.
iv. She has been a Mumbai tour guide for almost 50 years.
v. Earlier, she served in Subhas Chandra Bose’s Indian National Army (INA).
vi. She was Second Lieutenant in the Rani Jhansi regiment in Rangoon, Burma.
vii. She is fluent in Japanese, which helps her bond with Japanese tourists easily.
viii. She still conducts car tours 2-3 times a week.
About Ministry of Tourism:
i. Headquarters – New Delhi
ii. Minister of State (Independent Charge) – Mr.Alphons Kannanthanam
Science & Technology
Government rolled out ‘ARPAN Version 3.0’ for Defence Security Corps
On 29th September 2017, the Defence Ministry launched ‘ARPAN Version 3.0’ software for the Defence Security Corps.
ARPAN Version 3.0:
i. ‘ARPAN Version 3.0’ software was rolled out by Deputy Chief of Army Staff – Information Systems & Training (DCOAS -IS &T) J.S.Cheema for the Defence Security Corps.
ii. This software was developed by Tech Mahindra.
iii. ‘ARPAN 3.0’ would simplify personal documentation and all issues related to their progression.
iv. It consists of seven modules.
v. It enables end to end human resource & financial management of Junior Commissioned Officers and Other Ranks.
vi. Its advantages are timely processing of postings, promotions, release of salary, publication of personal occurrences and processing of pension.
About Ministry of Defence:
i. Headquarters – New Delhi
ii. Minister of Defence – Ms.Nirmala Sitharaman
iii. Minister of State for Defence – Mr.Subhash Ramrao Bhamre
Scientists make first ever video call using ‘unhackable’ quantum network
On 29th September 2017, Scientists in Austria and China made the first video call using quantum encryption.
First video call using quantum network:
i. Scientists in Austria and China made the first video call using quantum encryption technology.
ii. President of The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chunli Bai, made a video call to the President of Austria Academy of Sciences in Vienna, Anton Zeilinger.
iii. Encryption through quantum networks uses quantum particles to transfer information from one point to another.
iv. Attempts to hack on the network would create detectable disturbances in the system.
v. Hence, this is said to be unhackable.
vi. The video call was done using a satellite named ‘Micius’.
vii. China set up its first commercial quantum network in its northern province of Shandong, in September 2017.
i. Capital – Beijing
ii. Currency – Renminbi
iii. Official language – Standard Chinese
iv. President – Mr.Xi Jinping
World’s first Blockchain technology based smartphone unveiled
On 30th September 2017, Gurugram-based VVDN Technologies, in partnership with Ireland’s Embedded Downloads, launched the first Blockchain technology based smartphone ‘BitVault’.
BitVault – World’s first Blockchain technology based smartphone:
i. BitVault is the world’s first blockchain technology based smartphone.
ii. Android user interface is used in BitVault.
iii. But core operating system has been developed by VVDN.
iv. It retails for Rs.75,000.
v. BitVault does not support Google Play Store. It has its own mobile application.
vi. This phone supports 4G VoLTE.
vii. It has 2 GHz octacore processor of Qualcomm, 13 megapixel main camera, 8 mp front camera, 4GB RAM and 64 GB external storage.
viii. It does not support external memory storage.
ix. Data from the phone can be transferred to a computer only through its app for personal computers.
About VVDN Technologies:
i. CEO – Mr.Bhupender Saharan
ii. Chairman – Mr.Ramesh Singh
Max Verstappen wins Malaysian Grand Prix 2017 title
On 1st October 2017, Mark Verstappen won the Malaysian Grand Prix 2017 title, in Selangor, Malaysia.
Max Verstappen wins Malaysian Grand Prix 2017:
i. 2017 Formula 1 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix was held at the Sepang International Circuit, Selangor, in Malaysia.
ii. Max Verstappen of the Red Bull team won the Malaysian Grand Prix 2017 title.
iii. Max Verstappen won Lewis Hamilton by 12.7 seconds.
iv. This is Max Verstappen’s second victory in Malaysia. The first win was in 2014.
v. Lewis Hamilton of the Mercedes team, finished the race in the second place.
vi. D.Ricciardo of Red Bull team finished in the 3rd place.
vii. Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari secured the 4th place.
About Max Verstappen:
i. Nationality – Dutch
ii. Occupation – Racing Driver
iii. Current Team – Red Bull
iv. Age – 20
International Day of Older Persons – October 1
On 1st October 2017, International day of Older Persons was observed all over the world.
International Day of Older Persons:
i. Theme for the International Day of Older Persons 2017 was ‘Stepping into the Future: Tapping the Talents, Contributions and Participation of Older Persons in Society’.
ii. On 14th December 1990, the United Nations General Assembly declared 1st October as the International Day of Older Persons.
iii. This year’s main focus was on enabling and expanding the contributions of older people in their families, communities and societies.
iv. It concentrated on pathways that support full and effective participation in old age, in accordance with old persons’ basic rights, needs and preferences.
About United Nations:
i. Headquarters – New York
ii. Secretary General – Mr.Antonio Guterres
World Vegetarian Day and International Coffee Day observed on October 1
World Vegetarian Day and International Coffee Day was also observed on October 1.
i.International Coffee Day is used to promote and celebrate coffee as a beverage across the world. The first official date was 1 October 2015, as agreed by the International Coffee Organization and it was launched in Milan.
ii.World Vegetarian Day is a day of celebration established by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977 and approved by the International Vegetarian Union in 1978.World Vegetarian Day initiates the month of October as Vegetarian Awareness Month which ends with November 1, World Vegan Day, as the end of that month of celebration.