Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
**Blue Heading are Detailed News, Click the News to Read More**
India stands second on trust in national government: survey
- India has secured second position amongst 40 countries in a survey of trust in national governments for 2014 conducted by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Switzerland has emerged at the top with Norway coming in third.
- An impressive 73 per cent of Indians polled in the survey answered ‘yes’ to the question ‘Do you have confidence in the national government?’
- For the purpose of the survey, trust represents the confidence of citizens and businesses in government to do what is right and perceived as fair, according to the OECD ‘Government at a Glance 2015’ report.
Centre to unveil programme to develop new highways
- The central government will soon unveil a programme to develop new national highways with focus likely to be on connecting border areas.
- Union Minister for Transport, Roads and Highways Nitin Gadkari said,”We are going to announce ‘Rashtriya Mahamarghs’ (national highways)under the ‘Bharat Mala’ programme soon.”
Bharat Mala programme
- Under the programme the government wants to connect each district of the country with national highway besides the backward areas.
- The focus is on the setting up roads in border districts.
There is 96000-km length of national highway in the country and there are 48000 kms of other roads and government wants to add 30000 kms to this road length.
The government also wants to develop tourism and religious tourism related roads apart from port connectivity.
12-day Godavari Maha Pushkaram was began in – Telangana and Andhra Pradesh
- Godavari Maha Pushkaram began on the banks of River Godavari in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. It is a 12 days long event so it will be going on till 25th July 2015. Unique things about this is that it happens once in 144 years.
- Godavari Pushkaram, a 12-day festival of worshipping the river is held once in 12 years. Every 12th year Jupiter’s entry into the constellation Leo marks the Pushkaram for Godavari. The celebrations include reverence of ancestors, spiritual discourses, devotional music and cultural programmes.
India and Georgia Sign MoU on Electoral Cooperation
MoU was inked between India and Georgia for cooperation in the field of election management and administration which was signed by Chief Election Commissioner of India Nasim Zaidi and Tamar Zhvania, Chairperson, Central Election Commission, Georgia.
Major highlights of the MoU between India and Georgia:
• Promotion of exchanges of knowledge and experience in electoral processes
• Exchange of information, materials, expertise and training of personnel
• Production and distribution of materials pertaining to electoral systems, voting technology, voters’ education and awareness
• Participation of women and minorities in electoral process
China sets up world’s largest cancer registry
- China has established the world’s largest cancer registry system that will cover over 300 million people.
- In China at least 3 million people develop cancer each year, and the registry is expected to expand to include 40 per cent of the nation’s population of 1.36 billion by 2020.
A cancer registry is a systematic collection of data about cancer and tumour diseases. Cancer registry records complete summary of patient history, diagnosis, treatment and status of every cancer patient.
Awards and Recognition
4 Indians among Young Leaders of Asia Society in NY
- Four Indians-Mishi Choudhary, Manish Dahiya, Sanjay Vijayakumar and Aarti Wig- were figured in the Asia 21 Young Leaders Class of 2015 list that was released on 8 July 2015 in New York, the USA.
- The selected leaders will be part of the Asia 21 Network where they will find mentors, potential collaborators, who are devoted to find solutions to most vexing socio-economic problems in the Asia-Pacific region.
Four Indians who make to this list were :
Mishi Choudhary – She is a technology lawyer and an online civil liberties activist, is the founding executive director of SFLC.in, a pro-bono legal services organization based in New Delhi.
Manish Dahiya – He is the executive director and Global Head of Energy Complex at Noble Group Limited.
Sanjay Vijayakumar – He is the CEO of MobME Wireless Solutions, one of India’s most exciting and innovative mobile value-added service companies.
Aarti Wig – She is co-founder of the Indian arm of the Yunus Social Business (YSB), which was founded by Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Muhammad Yunus to create selfless businesses that tackle social problems
Rakesh Sahni appointed chairman of NVDA
- Former Chief Secretary Rakesh Sahni has been appointed as the Chairman of Narmada Valley Development Authority (NVDA) by Madhya Pradesh government.
- Rakesh Sahni is a 1972 batch IAS officer who has also served as the Chairman of MP Electricity Regulatory Commission after his retirement from the post of chief secretary.
Banking & Finance
YES Bank gets RBI nod to open unit in GIFT city
- YES Bank has received approval from the Reserve Bank of India to set up IFSC Banking Units (IBUs) in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT).
- Setting up the IBU will propel YES Bank’s growth plans further by providing it access to International financial markets.
- It will also provide a comprehensive product suite to its corporate clients requiring Foreign Currency (FCY) funding.
Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT)
- GIFT city aspires to cater to India’s large financial services potential by offering global firms a world-class infrastructure and facilities.
- It aims to attract the top talent in the country by providing the finest quality of life all with integrated townships, IFSC and multi-speciality special economic zone (SEZ).
- The site is 12 Km from the Ahmedabad International Airport and 8 KM from Gandhinagar
India-based firm wins Microsoft Country Partner of Year Award
- An India-based software products and technology services company is among the winners of the prestigious Microsoft Country Partner of the Year Award for 2015, a recognition that honours the technology giant’s partner achievements across the globe.
- Comparex India Pvt. Ltd, headquartered in New Delhi, was honoured, along with 110 awardees in the category by Microsoft, at its Worldwide Partner Conference 2015.
- Another India-based IT company Quadrasystems.net was the finalist in the Cloud Productivity Partner of the Year category, Microsoft announced.
India beats Zimbabwe in 3rd ODI, completes 3-0 clean sweep
- India thrashed Zimbabwe by 83 runs in the third and final cricket ODI to complete a 3-0 series whitewash.
- Kedar Jhadav’s maiden international hundred of 105 runs in 87 balls helped India to post a score of 276/5 in 50 overs.
- In return Zimbabwe collapsed for 193 in 42.4 overs.
Former BSFI president Pashupatinath Roy died
- Former Billiards and Snooker Federation of India(BSFI) President Pashupatinath Roy passed away. He was 76 years old.
- He served BSFI in various capacities. Apart from this he was also the president of West Bengal Badminton Association for more than five decades.