AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs September 18 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs September 2018
- Current Affairs August 2018
- Current Affairs July 2018
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where was the bilateral meeting on Tourism Cooperation between India and Morocco held on 17th September 2018?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) New Delhi
On September 17, 2018, a bilateral meeting on Tourism Cooperation between India and Morocco was held in New Delhi. Events of the meeting:
• Both sides agreed on cooperation in increasing tourist arrivals between both countries,
• MOU between the India Tourism Development Corporationand La Societe Marocaine D’Ingenierie Touristique, also known as Moroccan Agency for Tourism development (SMIT).
- Where was the ‘first ever’ India Tourism Mart (ITM 2018) held from September 16-18, 2018?
4) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) New Delhi
On September 16-18, 2018, the 3-day ‘first ever’ India Tourism Mart (ITM 2018) was inaugurated by Union Minister for Railways and Coal, Shri Piyush Goyal in New Delhi. It was organized by Ministry of Tourism in partnership with the Federation of Associations in Indian Tourism and Hospitality (FAITH) and State /UT Governments. It has been coordinated by India Convention Promotion Board (ICPB). ITM was announced to be an annual event hereafter in line with other International Tourism Marts and will be held in the month of September. It had a participation of around 225 participants North America, West Europe, East Asia, Latin America, CIS countries etc.
- Which state police has launched the ‘e-FIR’ or ‘dial-FIR’ scheme to help the citizens lodge a report and FIR online, for the first time in India?
1) Uttar Pradesh
4) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Uttar Pradesh
On September 17, 2018, the UP police launched the ‘e-FIR’ or ‘dial-FIR’ scheme for the first time in the country. Its objective is to help the citizens lodge a report and FIR online. It would be made possible by the collection of photographic data of 1 lakh small and big criminals through the new 22,000 ipads. It would contain 22 types of complaints such as: Getting domestic help, Lost and found complaint, Permission for various activities like procession, character certificate etc. A pilot project of the e-FIR has been successfully conducted in Ghaziabad region.
- The governments of Jammu and Kashmir and which state signed an agreement for renewing work on Rs. 2793 crore Shahpurkandi dam project, on 18th September 2018?
3) Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Punjab
On September 8, 2018, the governments of Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir signed an agreement for renewing work on Rs. 2793 crore Shahpurkandi dam project. Punjab government would pay Rs.115 crore for land acquisition and the project would be completed by 2021. It will be irrigating 37,173 ha of land and would provide 206MW of electricity to Punjab and J&K. Jammu and Kashmir 20 per cent of the total power generated at the fixed rate of Rs. 3.50 per unit. It would provide benefits worth Rs. 850 annually and utilize the water of Ravi River as per Indus water treaty.
- Cyclone-30, the biggest cyclotron in India for medical application became operational in which city, on 18thSeptember 2018?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Kolkata
On September 18, 2018, Cyclone-30, the biggest cyclotron in India for medical application became operational in at VECC, Kolkata. It is under the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and will be commissioned in 2019. This facility will provide for affordable radio isotopes and related radiopharmaceuticals for diagnostic and therapeutic use for cancer care. It will also have export potential for isotopes used for breast cancer diagnosis and prostate cancer treatment, respectively.
- Name the scheme introduced by Department of Pension & Pensioners Welfare (DoP&PW), through which all the Central Government Ministries will offer on-the-spot resolution to the grievances of pension holders?
1) Pension Adalat
2) Pension Ombudsman
3) Pension Grievance Cell
4) Pension Care
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Pension Adalat
On 18th September 2018, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the ‘Pension Adalat’.Pension Adalat is organised by the Department of Pension & Pensioners Welfare (DoP&PW). Through this scheme, on a single day all the Central Government Ministries will conduct their respective Pension Adalats and on-the-spot resolution will be offered to the grievance holder. Also, a Pre-Retirement Counselling (PRC) was conducted for the Central Government employees who will be retiring in the next 6 months. Dr Jitendra Singh also presented the ‘Anubhav’ awards 2018 to 6 pensioners for their contribution to create institutional memory for the departments.
- Which Union Ministry has developed and released the draft India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP), on 17th September 2018?
1) Ministry of Science and Technology
2) Ministry of Agriculture and Farmer Welfare
3) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
4) Ministry of Urban Development
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
On 17th September 2018, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, released the draft India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP) and a booklet on ‘Montreal Protocol – India’s Success Story’. An improved website on the Ozone Cell of the Ministry and a Management Information System (MIS) for Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS) were also launched. He also released two handbooks for trainers and technicians on “Good Service Practices and installation of room air-conditioners with HCFC-22 and flammable refrigerants”. Also, “A Guide for integration of topics related to HCFC Phase out and Energy efficiency in Architectural Curriculum” was released. ICAP has been prepared by Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change. The process was initiated in July 2017.
- Which Union Ministry signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Indo-German Chamber of Commerce (IGCC) in the area of vocational education and training, on 18th September 2018?
1) Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry
2) Union Ministry of Human Resource Development
3) Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
4) Union Ministry of Micro Small and Medium Enterprises
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
On 18th September 2018, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Indo-German Chamber of Commerce (IGCC) in the area of vocational education and training. According to the MoU, students who complete specific training courses in India will receive a certificate that is recognised in India and enables its recognition in Germany. They will be able to apply for jobs in companies in India and also in Germany, very easily. German ambassador to India, Martin Ney, was present when the MoU was signed. This idea was initiated in May 2017, by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- Which state/union territory signed a “Friendship and Cooperation Agreement” pact on cooperation in 12 fields with Seoul Metropolitan Government, on 15th September 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Delhi
On September 15, 2018, state government of Delhi and Seoul Metropolitan Government inked a “Friendship and Cooperation Agreement” pact on cooperation in 12 fields. The MOU include the following fields: Environment, transport, tourism, solid waste management and public health.
Following are the contents of the pact:
• Building a ‘twinning cell’ for easy communication and knowledge sharing,
• Setting up an integrated public transport system,
• To enhance waste management and utilize landfill gas to generate electricity,
• To enhance public transport system to reduce pollution of the city.
- Which country launched the world’s first hydrogen-powered train, on 17th September 2018?
4) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Germany
On 17th September 2018, Germany launched the world’s first hydrogen-powered train with costlier but eco-friendly technology.The two Coradia iLint trains were built by French train-maker firm Alstom. It started operating on a 100 km (62-mile) route between Cuxhaven, Bremerhaven, Bremervoerde and Buxtehude in northern Germany. The Coradia iLint trains can run for nearly 1,000 km on a single tank of hydrogen. It can carry up to 300 passengers. It runs at a speed of 140 km/h. Hydrogen will be pumped into the trains from a 40-foot high steel hydrogen gas container at Bremervoerde station.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina have inaugurated the India-Bangladesh Friendship Product Pipeline Project. The pipeline will connect Siliguri in which Indian state and Parbatipur in Dinajpur district of Bangladesh?
4) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) West Bengal
On September 18, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and PM of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina inaugurated the construction of India-Bangladesh Friendship Product Pipeline Project. This is in accordance to the MOU signed between the 2 countries in April during Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale’s visit to Dhaka. The estimated project cost will be 346 crore rupees and it will be completed in 30 months time. It is a 130-kilometre pipeline that will connect Siliguri in West Bengal in India and Parbatipur in Dinajpur district of Bangladesh. The capacity of the pipeline will be 1 million metric tons per annum.
- Which country approved a draft agreement with India for port usage of Chittagong and Mongla ports, on 18thSeptember 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bangladesh
On September 18, 2018, Bangladesh Cabinet approved a draft agreement with India for port usage of Chittagong and Mongla ports. This would enable New Delhi to use the ports for the movement of goods to and from northeast India. It would be according to the rules of General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT). Nepal and Bhutan has also been approved to join the team. Also, under the agreement only Bangladeshi vehicles and vessels would be used to carry the goods inside Bangladesh. The Bangladeshi authorities would use tracking systems like global positioning system (GPS), e-lock and e-seal to identify the goods carrying vessels.
- Which of the following payment company received approval from Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to operate its own non-banking financial company (NBFC), on 17th September 2018?
1) PayU India
2) Indi Pay
3) Money Pay
4) Naggle Pay
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) PayU India
On September 17, 2018, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) approved PayU India to operate its own non-banking financial company (NBFC). The approval from the central bank is subject to “certain pending RBI compliance”. It has already crossed Rs 100 crore ($16 million) mark for credit issuance. The company has spent about $265 million over the past five years in India. Its payment facility called LazyPay witnessed around 10,000-11,000 transactions per day. In September 2016, the company had acquired Citrus Pay for $130 million.
- Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman approved the procurement of equipment for the Defence Forces worth _____ rupees, on 18th September 2018?
1) Rs 9,100 crores
2) Rs 5,690 crores
3) Rs 8,900 crores
4) Rs 7,907 crores
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 9,100 crores
On September 18, 2018, the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman approved the procurement of equipment for the Defence Forces worth Rs 9,100 crores. This would include:
• An procurement of two Regiments of Akash Missile Systemsunder ‘Buy (Indian)’ category from M/s BDL,
• Design and Development of Individual Under Water Breathing Apparatus (IUWBA) for T 90 Tanks and
• Design and Development of Test Equipment for Guided Weapons System of T 90 Tank.
The Akash Missile is an upgraded version of Akash missiles and will have 360 degree coverage and seeker technology. The IUWBA has been developed by DRDO Lab DEBEL.
- Who was awarded the ‘Mexican order of the Aztec Eagle’ by Her Excellency Ms. Melba Pría, Ambassador of Mexico to India on the eve of 128th National Day of Mexico, on 17th September 2018?
1) Dr. Raghuram Rajan
2) Dr. Raghupati Singhania
3) Preethi Haiden
4) Mellissa John
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dr. Raghupati Singhania
On September 17, 2018, Dr. Raghupati Singhania was awarded the ‘Mexican order of the Aztec Eagle’ by Her Excellency Ms. Melba Pría, Ambassador of Mexico to India on the eve of 128th National Day of Mexico. It is the highest honour given to non-nationals by the Government of Mexico. He is the Chairman & Managing Director, JK Tyre & Industries Ltd. He was awarded for his exemplary leadership, his noteworthy services towards humanity and his efforts to strengthen bilateral ties between India and Mexico.
- Name the two Indians who created history by climbing Asia’s highest volcanic peak Mount Damavand in Iran, on 10th September 2018?
1) Satyarup Siddhanta and Bhaswati Chatterjee
2) Bhaswati Chatterjee and Mousumi Khatua
3) Mousumi Khatua and Arunima Rao
4) Satyarup Siddhanta and Mousumi Khatua
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Satyarup Siddhanta and Mousumi Khatua
On 10th September 2018, mountaineers Satyarup Siddhanta and Mousumi Khatua created history by climbing Asia’s highest volcanic peak Mount Damavand in Iran. Mount Damavand has an altitude of 5,609 metres. Sulphur discharge near its peak can cause irreparable damage if exposed for a longer duration. The expedition team consisted of 3 members: Satyarup Siddhanta, Mousumi Khatua Siddhanta and Bhaswati Chatterjee. They left for Iran on 6th September 2018. They scaled the summit in a very short duration to avoid health hazards due to sulphur exposure.
- Name Scotland Yard’s first Indian-origin counter-terrorism chief who won the Asian Achievers’ Award in Uniformed and Civil Services category, at the 18th annual awards of Asian Business Publications Limited (ABPL) Group, in London, on 14th September 2018?
1) Gurdeep Singh
2) Vishwa Prasad
3) Joshua Hola
4) Neil Basu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Neil Basu
Scotland Yard’s first Indian-origin counter-terrorism chief Neil Basu has won the Asian Achievers’ Award in the Uniformed and Civil Services category for his contribution to policing in the UK. Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, is the Metropolitan Police’s National Lead for Counter-Terrorism and the Head of the Met Police’s Specialist Operations. He had sent a colleague from the force to receive the award on his behalf at the 18th annual awards event, organised by UK-based media house Asian Business Publications Limited (ABPL) Group, in London on 14th September 2018.
- Name the actors who have been signed as ambassadors of Skill India Campaign to promote the Skill India Mission?
1) Akshay Kumar and Parineeti Chopra
2) Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma
3) Alia Bhatt and Hritik Roshan
4) Shah Rukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma
Actors Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma have been signed as ambassadors of Skill India Campaign to promote the Skill India Mission, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Skill India is led by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE). It aims to standardise vocational training. Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma’s upcoming movie “Sui Dhaaga – Made in India”, honours India’s entrepreneurs and skilled workforce like homegrown artisans, craftspeople and weavers.
- Name the former foreign secretory of India who joined the board of the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF), on 18th September 2018?
1) Ravi Shastri S
2) S Jaishankar
3) Ramji Tandon
4) Maninder Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) S Jaishankar
On September 18, 2018, Former foreign secretary S Jaishankar joined the board of the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF). He is currently president of Global Corporate Affairs for the Tata Group. He was the Foreign Secretary from January 2015 to January 2018. He also held prominent posts in the Indian Foreign Service such as High Commissioner to Singapore, Ambassador to China, and Ambassador to the US.
- Who took charge as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of National Insurance Company Limited (NIC), on 14th September 2018?
1) Girish Radhakrishnan
2) Tajinder Mukherjee
3) Amrita Sen
4) Preethi Patil
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Tajinder Mukherjee
On 14th September 2018, Tajinder Mukherjee took charge as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of National Insurance Company Limited (NIC). Previously, she was the General Manager and Chief Underwriting Officer of New India Assurance. She has more than 33 years of experience. She joined the United India Insurance Company in 1983.
- Name the first Indian-origin person to be appointed Honorary Lieutenant Commander in the UK’s Royal Navy?
1) Raj Kumar S
2) Raj Aggarwal
3) Himanshu Kapoor
4) Sumit Rawat
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Raj Aggarwal
Raj Aggarwal, who is India’s Honorary Consul in Wales, was appointed to his naval post by Admiral Sir Philip Jones following the formal approval of Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II. He ahas become the first Indian-origin person to be appointed Honorary Lieutenant Commander in the UK’s Royal Navy. He will take on the rank of honorary lieutenant commander in the Royal Navy, which is equivalent to the rank of an army major, and he will be affiliated to the Royal Navy ship ‘HMS Dragon’ in his new role.
- Government has proposed amalgamation of Bank of Baroda, Vijaya Bank, and which other bank to create India’s 3rd largest globally competitive Bank?
1) Union Bank of India
2) Oriental Bank of Commerce
3) Dena Bank
4) United Bank of India
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Dena Bank
The government has proposed amalgamation of Bank of Baroda, Vijaya Bank, and Dena Bank to create India’s 3rd largest globally competitive Bank. Addressing a press conference in New Delhi today, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said, the amalgamation will increase the banking operations and no employee will face any service condition adverse to present conditions. Mr Jaitley said, government had announced in the budget that consolidation of banks was also in the agenda of the government. Earlier, the government had merged five subsidiaries of SBI into State Bank of India. On Non- Performing Assets-NPAs, Mr Jaitley said, the real picture of NPAs was only known in 2015 and the UPA had swept NPAs under the carpet.
- Which city has been confirmed as the host of the 4th edition of Asian Para Games in 2022?
1) Tokyo, Japan
2) Doha, Qatar
3) Hangzhou, China
4) Hanoi, Vietnam
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Hangzhou, China
On 16th September 2018, Asian Paralympic Committee (APC) confirmed that Hangzhou in China will host the 4th edition of Asian Para Games in 2022. Already, Hangzhou was confirmed as the host of 2022 Asian Games. Now, it has also been announced as the host of Asian Para Games 2022. The confirmation has been done following the visit of APC officials to Hangzhou in July 2018 when they met Zhong Wenjing, Chairman of Hangzhou Disabled Federation and other officials and also visited the sports facilities. Nearly, 5.5 % of the total population of 9.5 million people in Hangzhou city are said to have an impairment.
- Which financial services company has signed up as a global Olympic sponsor for a 4-Games period of 10 years between 2021 and 2028?
2) Societe General
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Allianz
On September 18, 2018, German insurer Allianz signed up as a global Olympic sponsor for a 4-Games period of 10 years between 2021 and 2028. The insurer will become the IOC’s 14th top sponsor. It would start from 2019 and with a pilot project in four key markets: Australia, China, France and Spain. The games it will sponsor are:
• Summer Olympics in Paris in 2024,
• Summer Olympics in Los Angeles in 2028,
• As well as the Winter Games in 2022in Beijing and in 2026.
- Who won the Singapore Grand Prix (Formula One racing) on 16th September 2018 in Singapore?
1) Sebastian Vettel
2) Max Verstappen
2) Kimi Raikkonen
4) Lewis Hamilton
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Lewis Hamilton
On 16th September 2018, Lewis Hamilton won the Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay Street Circuit, in Singapore. Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton won the 1st position. He was followed by Red Bull’s Max Verstappen in the 2nd spot. Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel finished in the 3rd place. With this victory, Lewis Hamilton has increased his chances of winning this year’s Formula One World Championship. Also, this is his fourth career win in Singapore.
- Where was Medved International Wrestling tournament held from 14th to 16th September 2018?
1) Madrid, Spain
2) Minsk, Belarus
3) Budapest, Hungary
4) Beijing, China
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Minsk, Belarus
From 14th to 16th September 2018, Medved International Wrestling tournament was held in Minsk, Belarus. Indian wrestler Sakshi Malik won a silver medal in the 62 kg category, as she lost to Hungary’s Marianna Sastin 2-6 in the final. Also, India’s Pooja Dhanda won a Bronze medal in the 57 kg category.
- Name the Kenyan athlete who created a new marathon world record by clocking 2hr 1min 39sec, in Berlin, Germany, on 16th September 2018?
1) Brian Lewis
2) Eliud Kipchoge
3) Ramsay Ilean
4) Steven Kampuche
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Eliud Kipchoge
On 16th September 2018, Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge created a new marathon world record by clocking 2hr 1min 39sec, in Berlin, Germany. Eliud Kipchoge has broken Dennis Kimetto’s previous record of 2hr 2min 57sec set on the same course 4 years ago, by his new record of 2hr 1min 39sec. The total race distance was 42.195km. He has bettered the previous world record by 1min 18sec. This is the largest single improvement on the marathon world record since Derek Clayton improved the mark by 2min 23sec in 1967. The women’s race was won by Kenya’s Gladys Cherono with a timing of 2:18:11, and a course record and world leading time.
- Ganpatrao Andalka passed away in Pune, on 18th September 2018. He was a _____?
1) Spiritual Leader
3) Freedom Fighter
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Wrestler
On September 18, 2018, former Asian Games champion wrestler Ganpatrao Andalka (83), passed away in Pune. He participated in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics and had bagged the coveted “Hind Kesari” title in 1960. He also won Gold and Silver medals in two different weight categories in the 1962 Jakarta Asian Games. He was a recipient of the Arjuna award (1964) and the Maharashtra government’s ‘Shiv Chhatrapati Award’ in 1982 for his contribution to wrestling.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Director General of Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC)?Dr Hemant Darbari
- Where is Takhni-Rehampur wildlife sanctuary located?Punjab
- Where is the headquarters of National Insurance Company Limited (NIC)?Kolkata
- Name the President of Asian Paralympic Committee (APC)?Majid Rashed
- Who is the defence secretary of India?Sanjay Mitra