AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs September 17 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs September 2018
- Current Affairs August 2018
- Current Affairs July 2018
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where was India’s first ‘smart fence’ pilot project inaugurated by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, on 17th September 2018?
1) Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
2) Patiala, Punjab
3) Hisar, Haryana
4) Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir
On 17th September 2018, India’s first ‘smart fence’ pilot project was inaugurated by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh along the Indo-Pak border at the Border Security Force (BSF) frontier headquarters in Ploura, Jammu. The Smart fencing uses various devices for surveillance, communication and data storage. It will provide 24×7 surveillance on the border irrespective of the weather condition. This pilot project involves setting up of laser-activated fences and technology-enabled barriers to safeguard vulnerable gaps along the borders. It comprises two border fencing projects, each covering a 5.5 km stretch along the International Border (IB) in Jammu.
- Where was the G-20 Trade and Investment Ministerial Meeting, held on 14th and 15th September 2018?
1) Metro Manila, Philippines
2) Mar del Plata, Argentina
3) Hanoi, Vietnam
4) Jakarta, Indonesia
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Mar del Plata, Argentina
On September 14-15, 2018, Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu participated in the 2-day G-20 Trade and Investment Ministerial Meeting, held in Mar del Plata in Argentina. The objective was to discuss developments in international trade and its implications for the global economy. The theme for the G-20 Trade and Investment Ministerial Meeting was: “Building Consensus for Fair and Sustainable Development”. It was held under the chairmanship of: H.E. Amb. Jorge Faurie, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Worship of the Argentine Republic, and H.E. Mr. Dante Sica, Minister of Production and Labor of the Argentine Republic.
- The 2nd edition of ‘Mt Everest Friendship Exercise’ between China and which country began in Sichuan province of China, on 17th September 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Nepal
On September 17, 2018, the second edition of Nepal-China joint military exercise ‘Mt Everest Friendship Exercise’ began in southwestern Sichuan province of China. Its main focus is on combating terror. The 12-day long exercise would have 12 military personnel participating from Nepal’s Army. It is the second time that the Nepal Army is participating in a joint military drill with People’s Liberation Army. First such drill was held in April 2017.
- What is the rank of India in gender inequality index (GII) out of 160 countries in 2017, according to the human development index (HDI) report released by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 127
On September 17, 2018, according to the human development index (HDI) report released by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), India is ahead of Bangladesh and Pakistan in inequality-adjusted HDI (IHDI). India has IHDI of 0.468, a 26.8% reduction from the unadjusted HDI of 0.640. According to gender inequality index (GII) of the report, India has a GII of 0.524, ranking it 127 out of 160 countries in 2017, while Pakistan is ranked 133 and Bangladesh 134. GII is the loss in human development due to inequality between female and male achievements in reproductive health, empowerment, and economic activity.
- Total number of account holders of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna (PMJDY) reached _____ crore on 5thSeptember 2018, according to Finance Ministry?
1) 52.23 crore
2) 32.61 crore
3) 78.23 crore
4) 12.56 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 32.61 crore
On September 17, 2018, according to Finance ministry , 20 lakh people have joined the modified Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna (PMJDY) as on September 5, 2018. The total number of account holders has now increased to 32.61 crore. During the period of August 15-September 5, the total deposits in 32.61 PMJDY accounts increased by Rs 1,266.43 crore. Now the total balance stands at Rs 82,490.98 crore as on September 5.
- Which state tourism agency won 2 gold awards of the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) for its innovative marketing campaigns, at PATA Travel Mart 2018, in Langkawi, Malaysia, on 17th September 2018?
1) Himachal Tourism
2) Arunachal Tourism
3) Kerala Tourism
4) Manipur Tourism
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kerala Tourism
On September 17, 2018, Kerala Tourism bagged two prestigious gold awards of the Pacific Asia Travel Association(PATA) for its innovative marketing campaigns. The awards were presented in Langkawi, Malaysia during PATA Travel Mart 2018. The awards were for the following:
• ‘Yalla Kerala’: It is travel advertisement print media campaign in the Gulf countries.
• For an innovative live-inspired posterof Kerala Tourism featuring a colorful boat and fishermen that could be put up straight as well as upside down.
The Campaign and Posters were developed and designed by Stark Communications, the Advertising Agency of Kerala Tourism. These were under PATA’s Travel Advertisement Print and Travel Poster categories respectively.
- Who was elected as Sudan‘s new Prime Minister, on 17th September 2018?
1) Abdul Hamid
2) Moutaz Mousa Abdallah
3) Moulana Azad
4) Abdul Karim Maulana
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Moutaz Mousa Abdallah
On September 17, 2018, Moutaz Mousa Abdallah has become the Sudan‘s new Prime Minister. He will hold the finance portfolio of the country. Additionally, a 21-member cabinet was sworn in at the presidential palace in Khartoum.
- Who was appointed the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Aspire Home Finance Corporation Ltd (AHFCL), on 17th September 2018?
1) Mithun Kulkarni
2) Shekhar Prasad
3) Sanjay Athalye
4) Akash Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Sanjay Athalye
On September 17, 2018, Motilal Oswal Financial Services Ltd. appointed Sanjay Athalye as the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officerof its housing finance company Aspire Home Finance Corporation Ltd (AHFCL). Prior to joining AHFCL, he has worked with Indostar Capital Finance Ltd as Chief Risk Officer. He had previously worked in several leadership roles with Reliance Capital, Centurion Bank of Punjab, IDBI Bank, ICICI Bank, Reliance Telecom and Modi Xerox. Athalye holds a master’s degree in commerce from Nagpur University.
- Name the person who was appointed as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of State Bank of India (SBI), on 17thSeptember 2018?
1) Anshula Kant
2) Anshul Agarwal
3) Prashant Kumar
4) Sandeep Vaishnav
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Prashant Kumar
On September 17, 2018, State Bank of India appointed Prashant Kumar as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Bank. He replaced Anshula Kant who has been promoted as Managing Director of SBI. Prior to this appointment, Kumar was designated as Deputy Managing Director (HR) & Corporate Development Officer of SBI. Earlier he has worked as DMD and Chief Operating Officer (COO) of the Bank.
- Name the rocket launched by ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) that carried two U.K. satellites named NovaSAR and S1-4 into space on 16th September 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) PSLV-C-42
On September 16, 2018, ISRO launched its first night flight launch of PSLV-C-42 with two U.K. satellites named NovaSAR and S1-4 of Surrey Satellite Technology Limited. This launch was a collaboration between Surrey Satellite Technologies Limited and Antrix Corporation Limited, ISRO’s commercial arm which earned Rs.220 crore for this launch. This mission made India launch 239 foreign satellites of 28 nations so far. It also marks the 44th launch of the Indian rocket the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).
- Where did Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) inaugurate an S–band Polarimetry Doppler Weather Radar, on 16th September 2018?
1) Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
2) Bengaluru, Karnataka
3) Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh
4) Vishakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh
On September 16, 2018, Dr. K Sivan, Secretary, DOS/Chairman, ISRO inaugurated an S–band Polarimetry Doppler Weather Radar at SDSC/ISRO, in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh. This is the 7th Radar manufactured in the country under “Make in India” Concept. It was indigenously developed by Bharat Electronics Limited, Bangalore under Technology Transfer from ISRO. It will be used for the observation of the weather system up to a range of 500 km and helps in early warning of severe weather events. It would also provide detailed information on a storm’s internal wind flow and structure.
- Where did Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test a low-weight indigenously developed man-portable anti-tank guided missile (MPATGM) on 16th September 2018?
1) Nagpur, Maharashtra
2) Ahmednagar, Maharashtra
3) Rohtak, Haryana
4) Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ahmednagar, Maharashtra
On September 16, 2018, the Defence Research and Development Organisation successfully tested a low-weight indigenously developed man-portable anti-tank guided missile (MPATGM) at its Ahmednagar range, Maharashtra. It was the second MPATGM test as the DRDO tested the first one on September 15 in Maharashtra. MPATGM is yet to get a formal name and is a major boost to the Make-in-India initiative. The key features are:
• A strike range of 2.5km,
• Weight of 14.5 kgs,
• Effective against both stationary and moving target and
• Can be used in day and night.
- India and which country inked a pact for maritime surveillance through a constellation of 8-10 satellites on the Indian Ocean region, on 17th September 2018?
4) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) France
On September 17, 2018, India and France inked pact for maritime surveillance through a constellation of 8-10 satellites on the Indian Ocean region. This will be India’s largest space cooperation with any country. Its objective is to monitor sea traffic management. This will be developed by the ISRO and French space agency CNES. It would take less than five years to launch the satellites. The mission would include:
• Design and development of joint products
• Techniques including those involving Automatic Identification System,
• To monitor and protect assets in land and sea.
- Where was the 32nd Ahmet Comert Boxing Tournament held from 10th to 16th September 2018?
1) Jakarta, Indonesia
2) New Delhi, India
3) Cairo, Egypt
4) Istanbul, Turkey
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Istanbul, Turkey
From 10th to 16th September 2018, 32nd Ahmet Comert Boxing Tournament was held in Istanbul, Turkey. Indian women boxers won a total of 7 medals: 3 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze. Indian women’s team finished second in the tournament. India’s Bhagyabati Kachari received the most scientific boxer of the tournament award.
- Who won the women’s singles title at the 2018 Japan Open (badminton) tournament held in Tokyo, Japan, from 11th to 16th September 2018?
1) Naomi Okhura
2) Simona Halep
3) Serena Williams
4) Carolina Marin
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Carolina Marin
From 11th to 16th September 2018, 2018 Japan Open (badminton) tournament also known as Daihatsu Yonex Japan Open 2018 was held at Musashino Forest Sports Plaza in Tokyo, Japan.
Event Winner Runner-up Men’s Singles Kento Momota (Japan) Khosit Phetpradab (Thailand) Women’s Singles Carolina Marín (Spain) Nozomi Okuhara (Japan) Men’s Doubles Marcus Fernaldi Gideon, Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo (Indonesia) Junhui Li, Yuchen Liu (China) Women’s Doubles Yuki Fukushima, Sayaka Hirota (Japan) Qingchen Chen, Yifan Jia (China) Mixed Doubles Zheng Siwei, Huang Yaqiong (China) Yilyu Wang, Dongping Huang (China)
- Name the decathlete who broke the decathlon world record with 9126 points at the Decastar meeting in Bordeaux, France, on 16th September 2018?
1) Ashton Eaton
2) Kevin Mayer
3) Rafael Sebastian
4) Collin Hummington
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Kevin Mayer
French athlete Kevin Mayer has broken the decathlon world at the Decastar meeting in Bordeaux, France. Reigning world champion Kevin Mayer finished with 9126 points, bettering the mark of 9045 set by American Ashton Eaton in 2015.
- Dolagobinda Pradhan died at his home following a short term illness, in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, on 17thSeptember 2018. He was a former Odisha Minister and a ______?
1) freedom fighter
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) freedom fighter
On 17th September 2018, freedom fighter and former Odisha Minister Dolagobinda Pradhan died at his home following a short term illness, in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. Dolagobinda Pradhan was 93 years old. He was born on June 7, 1929 in Dihasahi of Cuttack, Odisha. He was a follower of Mahatma Gandhi. He participated in the Quit India Movement in 1942. He was imprisoned by the British government for 3 years and 2 months. He started his political career by joining the Indian National Congress (INC). He was elected to the Odisha Legislative Assembly from Cuttack Sadar constituency 2 times between 1980 and 1990. He was the Urban Development Minister of Odisha from 1989 to 1990.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Director General of Border Security Force (BSF)?KK Sharma
- Who is the Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)?Dr. K Sivan
- Where is Bhitarkanika National Park located?Odisha
- Name the Governor of Kerala?Palanisamy Sathasivam
- What is the tag line of State Bank of India (SBI)?With you all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation’s banks on us