AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs October 27 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Name the Sri Lankan prime minister who was on a three-day visit to India from 18th to 20th October 2018?
1) Maithri Sirisena
2) Ranil Wickremesinghe
3) Majila Wickremesinghe
4) Anil Hegde
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ranil Wickremesinghe
On October 18, 2018, Sri Lankan prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe started his 3-day visit to India. This is his fifth official visit to India since taking office in 2015. Sri Lanka PM Ranil Wickremesinghe had bilateral talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He was called on by the External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj. He also met home minister Rajnath Singh in New Delhi.
- Union Minister for Human Resource Development Shri Prakash Javadekar launched the web portal of the Scheme IMPRESS in New Delhi, on 25th October 2018. What does “I” represent in IMPRESS?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Impactful
IMPRESS – Impactful Policy Research in Social Sciences
On October 25, 2018, the Union Minister for Human Resource Development Shri Prakash Javadekar launched the web portal of the Scheme “Impactful Policy Research in Social Sciences (IMPRESS)” in New Delhi. Under the Scheme, 1500 research projects will be awarded for 2 years to support the social science research in the higher educational institutions. The scheme will focus on:
• Identifying and funding research proposals in social sciences with maximum impact on the governance and society,
• Research on 11 broad thematic areas such as : State and Democracy, Urban transformation, Media, Culture and Society, Employment etc.
• Ensuring selection of projects through a transparent, competitive process on online mode,
• Providing opportunity for social science researchers in any institution in the country.
- Where was the 11th Global Agriculture Summit 2018 held on 24th and 25th October 2018?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
On October 25, 2018, the 2-day 11th Global Agriculture Summit 2018 concluded in New Delhi. It aimed to provide the platform towards facilitating farmers connect with the technologies, markets, industry, institutions and the Governmental programs. The Global Summit and Award ceremony was organized by Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) with support of Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Ministry of Food Processing Industries and Ministry of Commerce. It was inaugurated by Secretary Agriculture and Co-operation, Sanjay Agrawal. The theme of the summit was: ‘Connecting Farmers to Market’.
- Supreme Court has stated that, which type of vehicle should not be sold across India with effect from April 1, 2020?
1) Bharat Stage IV
2) Bharat Stage V
3) Bharat Stage VI
4) Bharat Stage III
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bharat Stage IV
On 24th October 2018, the Supreme Court stated that, no Bharat Stage IV vehicle shall be sold across India with effect from April 1, 2020. The Bharat Stage VI (or BS-VI) emission norm will come to effect from April 1, 2020 throughout India. BS IV norms have been followed throughout India since April 2017. In 2016, Central Government had announced that India will skip the BS-V norms and adopt BS-VI norms by 2020. Supreme Court was deciding if grace period should be given to automobile manufacturers for the sale of BS-VI non-compliant vehicles after April 1, 2020. A three judge bench headed by Justice Madan B Lokur stated that only BS VI compliant vehicle shall be sold in India from April 1st, 2020.
- Where was the 5th edition of the ‘Women of India National Organic Festival’ inaugurated by Maneka Sanjay Gandhi, Union Minister for Women and Child Development, on 26th October 2018?
4) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) New Delhi
The 5th edition of the ‘Women of India National Organic Festival’ was inaugurated by Maneka Sanjay Gandhi, Union Minister for Women and Child Development, at the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA), New Delhi, on 26th October 2018. The Festival celebrates and promotes women entrepreneurs/producers and farmers in the organic field from across India.
- Where was the 20th Water, Energy, Technology, and Environment Exhibition (WETEX) 2018 held from 23rd to 25th October 2018?
1) Tokyo, Japan
2) Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3) New Delhi, India
4) Moscow, Russia
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dubai, United Arab Emirates
On 23rd to 25th October 2018, the 20th Water, Energy, Technology, and Environment Exhibition (WETEX) 2018 was held at Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. WETEX is organized by Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) every year. It is held under the directives of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai. It is conducted under the patronage of HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai, Minister of Finance and President of DEWA. WETEX 2018 is the largest edition in the 20 year-history of WETEX. It was held under the umbrella of the Green Week, in conjunction with the 3rd Dubai Solar Show, and the 5th World Green Economy Summit (WGES). It displayed latest solutions in conventional and renewable energy, water, sustainability, and conservation.
- India and which country signed several agreements for enhancing inland and coastal waterways connectivity between the two countries for trade and cruise movements, on 25th October 2018?
2) Sri Lanka
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bangladesh
On October 25, 2018, India and Bangladesh signed several agreements for enhancing inland and coastal waterways connectivity between the two countries for trade and cruise movements. The MOUs were signed by: Shipping Secretary Shri Gopal Krishna, and his Bangladesh counterpart Shri Md. Abdus Samadin. The MOUs are as follows:
• To use Chattogram and Mongla Ports in Bangladesh for movement of goods to and from India,
• ‘Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade’ (PIWTT) between India and Bangladesh for inclusion of Dhubriin India and Pangaonin Bangladesh as new Ports of Call,
• Inclusion of Rupnarayanriver (National Waterway-86) from Geonkhali to Kolaghat in the protocol route,
• Declare Kolaghat in West Bengal and Chilmari in Bangladesh as new Port of Call,
• Declare Badarpur on river Barak (NW 16) as an Extended Port of Call of Karimganj in Assam and Ghorasal of Ashuganj in Bangladesh.
- India is collaborating with which country for research on different aspects of the Ganga delta region and the Bay of Bengal?
4) United Kingdom
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) United Kingdom
On October 26, 2018, M Rajeevan, Secretary, Ministry of Earth Sciences announced collaboration between India and UK for research on different aspects of the Ganga delta region and the Bay of Bengal. This was announced on the sidelines of a programme launched by the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). The two countries are also collaborating in several areas of earth sciences and weather, like the monsoon. Studies will be regarding:
• The Ganga delta: Effects of the region on population, agriculture and environment.
• The Bay of Bengal: Its effect on India in terms of resources and also has an impact on the Southwest Monsoon.
- Where did NATO’s (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) Trident Juncture 2018 military exercise begin on 25th October 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Norway
On 25th October 2018, NATO’s (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) Trident Juncture 2018 military exercise began in Norway. This is NATO’s biggest military exercise since the Cold War. Trident Juncture 2018, will be held till November 7, 2018. Nearly 50,000 personnel from all 29 NATO allies, partners Finland and Sweden, are taking part. Around 65 vessels, 150 aircraft and 10,000 vehicles are taking part. The drill will be conducted in central and eastern Norway, the North Atlantic and the Baltic Sea. It aims to train the Alliance to mobilise quickly to defend an ally under attack. Russia, which shares a border with Norway, was invited to monitor the exercise, but Moscow is still angered by the exercise.
- The navies of India and which country participated in the 2-day anti-submarine conflict exercises at INS Hansa at Panaji, Goa, on 24th and 25th October 2018?
1) Sri Lanka
2) Saudi Arabia
3) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) United States
On October 24, 2018, a United States Navy (USN) P-8A Poseidon, with 21 members, along with the Indian Navy’s P-8i airplane participated in 2-day anti-submarine conflict exercises at INS Hansa at Panaji, Goa. This is the maiden visit of the P-8A Poseidon to INS Hansa. Both the P-8l and P-8A maritime reconnaissance airplane had been manufactured through Boeing. The maritime airplane have a range of 8300 kilometers and pace in excess of 900 kmph and are important for the Indian Navy to monitor the presence of submarines within the neighboring waters.
- India has the _____ largest number of universities and institutes in Asia, as per QS Asia University Rankings 2019 by Quacquarelli Symonds?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) third
On October 25, 2018, according to a report named QS Asia University Rankings 2019 by Quacquarelli Symonds, India doubled their presence in the ranking. India has the third largest number of universities and institutes, after mainland China (112) and Japan (89). There are 40 new Indian institutions taking the total number to 75 at the top 500 list. But none made it to the top 20. IIT-Bombay remains the highest ranked institution. It moved one place to the 33rd position.
- Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board announced issue of ‘masala bonds’ worth ______ rupees, on October 25, 2018?
1) Rs 5000 crore
2) Rs 2400 crore
3) Rs 4500 crore
4) Rs 3200 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 5000 crore
On October 25, 2018, the Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board’s decision to issue ‘masala bonds’ worth Rs 5,000 crore was announced. For this, the KIIFB CEO has been entrusted the task for issuing the ‘masala bonds’ in November. Bonds worth Rs 5,000 crore would be issued in the first phase in the London and Singapore exchanges. RBI had already given sanction for bonds worth Rs 2,606 crore.
- Which fertilizer major has been ranked as the biggest cooperative in the world according to the 7th edition ‘Word Cooperative Monitor’ report 2018?
1) Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative (IFFCO)
2) Gujarat Fertilizer Cooperative (GFC)
3) Greenstar Fertilizer Cooperative (GFC)
4) Amara Fertilizer Cooperative (AFC)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative (IFFCO)
On October 24, 2018, according to the 7th edition ‘Word Cooperative Monitor’ report 2018, fertilizer major IFFCO has been ranked as the biggest cooperative in the world. It has retained this position from 2016. It was published by: The International Cooperative Alliance (ICA) and the European Research Institute on Cooperative and Social Enterprises (Euricse). IFFCO has been ranked based on the ratio of turnover over gross domestic product (GDP) per capita. This relates the turnover of the co-operative to the purchasing power of the country in which it operates.
- “Unified Agriculture Markets” of Co-operation Department of which state won the overall Gold Award for CAPAM (Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management) Awards, 2018?
1) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Karnataka
On 23rd October 2018, two initiatives of India won the Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management Award, 2018, at its Annual General Members Meet, in Georgetown, Guyana. The initiative named “Unnayan Banka” – Reinventing Education Using Technology, of Banka District of Bihar was awarded under the Category “Innovation Incubation”. Another initiative named “Unified Agriculture Markets” of Co-operation Department of Karnataka was selected under the Category ‘Innovation in Public Service Management’. This initiative also won the overall Gold Award for CAPAM Awards, 2018.
- Who will be awarded the Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony for 2016?
1) Rajkumar Singhajit Singh
3) Ram Vanji Sutar
4) Sampath Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ram Vanji Sutar
On October 26, 2018, the Ministry of Culture announced the Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony for the years 2014, 2015 & 2016. These will be conferred to:
2014: Manipuri dancer Sh. Rajkumar Singhajit Singh;
2015: Chhayanaut (a cultural organization of Bangladesh) and
2016: Sculptor, Sh. Ram Vanji Sutar.
- Name the Indian scientist who won the World Health Summit Startup award, 2018, in Berlin, on 25th October 2018?
1) Arjun Sharma
2) Ida George
3) Roopam Sharma
4) Lissy Mcleod
4) None of theseAnswer – 3) Roopam Sharma
On October 25, 2018, Roopam Sharma, a 23-year old Indian scientist, won the World Health Summit Startup award, 2018, at an annual event of the health summit in Berlin. He won this award for his invention, Manovue – the world’s first intelligent personal assisting system for the visually impaired. Manovue was also awarded the Microsoft Imagine Cup 2015 and Yahoo Accenture Innovation Jockeys season 4. He is also listed in the UNESCO Youth forum and Innovators under 35. He is the youngest person to be recognized as one of the top innovators under 35 by the MIT Tech Review in 2016.
- Name the Malayalam author whose novel Jasmine Days won JCB Prize for Literature, on 26th October 2018?
2) Usha Saran
3) Anmol Prashanth
4) Uday Krishna
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Benyamin
On October 26, 2018, Malayalam author Benyamin’s novel Jasmine Days won JCB Prize for Literature. The award consists of a trophy and 25 lakhs as prize money. The 2018 book has been translated from Malayalam to English by Shahnaz Habib who has also received an additional prize of five lakhs. Benyamin, earlier, had Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award in the past for Aadujeevitham.
- Who became the first female President of Ethiopia on October 25, 2018?
1) Sahle-Work Zewde
2) Sara McCluskey
3) Susan Solis
4) Bree Delaurie
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Sahle-Work Zewde
On October 25, 2018, Ethiopia’s parliament approved appointment of senior diplomat Sahle-Work Zewde as the country’s first female president. She replaced Mulatu Teshome Wirtu. Presently, she is the U.N. under-secretary general and special representative of the secretary general to the African Union.
- Who was appointed as the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court on October 25, 2018?
1) N H Patil
2) D K Gupta
3) Ajjkuttira Somaiah Bopanna
4) Ramesh Ranganathan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) N H Patil
On October 25, 2018, the central government announced the appointment of new Chief Justices for High Courts of Bombay, Calcutta, Uttarakhand, Gauhati and Sikkim. They are as follows:
• Bombay High Court judge N H Patil has been appointed as the Chief Justice of Bombay High Court.
• Calcutta High Court judge Justice D K Gupta has been appointed as the Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court.
• Karnataka High Court judge Justice Ajjkuttira Somaiah Bopanna has been appointed as Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court.
• Hyderabad High Court judge Ramesh Ranganathan has been appointed as the Chief Justice of Uttarakhand High Court.
• Uttarakhand High Court judge V K Bist has been appointed has Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court.
- Cricket Australia (CA) reappointed _____ as its chairman for a span of another three years, on 25th October 2018?
1) Victor Lang
2) David Peever
3) Ian Rover
4) Michael Reed
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) David Peever
On October 25, 2018, Cricket Australia (CA) reappointed its controversial chairman David Peever for a span of another three years. Also, Kevin Roberts, who recently served as Cricket Australia’s director, will officially take over from James Sutherland as the new CEO. Also CA announced an AUD 8.3 million surplus at the meeting with a spurt in the growth of women’s cricket, with “six in every 10 new participants being female”.
- Which country successfully launched Soyuz-2.1B rocket carrying a satellite for its military, on 25th October 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Russia
On 25th October 2018, Russia successfully launched Soyuz-2.1B rocket carrying a satellite for the Russian military, from northern Plesetsk launch pad, Russia. Russia has successfully launched a Soyuz rocket for the first time since the failure of a similar rocket aborted a manned take-off to the International Space Station (ISS) on October 11, 2018. The satellite has reached its orbit at the set time. It is the third launch of a Soyuz rocket from Russia’s northern Plesetsk launch pad in 2018. This satellite launch was earlier planned for October 19, 2018. It was postponed following an accident in which two astronauts made an emergency landing minutes after blast-off from Russia’s Baikonur cosmodrome.
- Mammals of India (MaOI), a citizen-science repository on Indian mammals, launched in September 2018, was developed by _____?
1) Indian Forest Science Institute (IFSI)
2) Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc)
3) National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS)
4) National Forestry Institute (NFI)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS)
Mammals of India (MaOI), a citizen-science repository on Indian mammals, was launched in September 2018. The website is available at: www.mammalsofindia.org. MaOI was developed by scientists from the National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS) in Bangalore. It is an online, peer-reviewed, freely-accessible portal. By October 25, 768 images, of 161 species of mammals, were uploaded. The photographs will help to collect information on the distribution of various species and interactions between different species of mammals, like predation and mutualism. MaOI aims to develop individual species pages for all Indian mammals with information on identification, variation, distribution, breeding and non-breeding ecology and species conservation.
- West Indies’ Dwayne Bravo announced his retirement from which sport on 25th October 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Cricket
On 25th October 2018, West Indies allrounder Dwayne Bravo announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket. Dwayne Bravo is 35 years old. He is a right-arm bowler and a right-hand batsman. He made his debut in 2004 against England. He has played 40 Tests, 164 ODIs (One Day International) and 66 T20Is (Twenty20 International). He has scored 2,200 runs and 86 wickets in Tests, 2,968 runs and 199 wickets in ODIs and 1,142 runs and 52 wickets in T20I cricket.
- What was the theme of World Day for Audiovisual Heritage celebrated on 27th October 2018?
1) Your Story is Moving
2) Old is Gold
3) Preserve the memories
4) Record your story
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Your Story is Moving
On 27th October 2018, World Day for Audiovisual Heritage was celebrated all over the world. In 2005, UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) General Conference declared October 27 as World Day for Audiovisual Heritage. This day creates awareness on the importance of audiovisual documents and the need to take urgent measures to transfer them to digital format to prevent their loss. Theme: for World Day for Audiovisual Heritage 2018 is “Your Story is Moving”.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- What is the Capital and Currency of Ethiopia?Capital – Addis Ababa; Currency – Ethiopian birr
- Who is the CEO of Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management (CAPAM)?Gay Hamilton
- Name the Chairman and headquarters of Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative (IFFCO)?Chairman – Mr. B. S. Nakai; Headquarters – New Delhi
- Where is Periyar National Park located?Kerala
- Who is the Secretary General of NATO’s (North Atlantic Treaty Organization)?Jens Stoltenberg