AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs October 21 Quiz 2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Under which ministry, Government sets up expert group for suggestions on artificial intelligence policy?
1. Union Ministry of AYUSH
2. Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
3. Union Ministry of Communication
4. Union Ministry of Culture
5. Union Ministry of Earth SciencesAnswer 2. Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
Explanation Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has set up an internal committee which will provide suggestions to Indian government on framing a national policy on artificial intelligence (AI). This internal committee comprising of experts will advise the IT ministry on the most appropriate technology for India in context of emerging trends in the area of AI. Reducing/averting cyber attacks carried out with the help of AI is the main focus area of Indian government.
- A committee with how many members have been formed to select the candidate for the post of editor-in-chief of Rajya Sabha TV (RSTV)?
5. TenAnswer 1. Five
Explanation As per an order from Rajya Sabha secretariat, a five-member committee has been formed to select the candidate for the post of editor-in-chief of Rajya Sabha TV (RSTV).
This committee is headed by Prasar Bharati Chairman A Surya Prakash. Rajya Sabha MP Swapan Dasgupta, Prasar Bharati CEO Shashi Shekhar Vempati, Additional Secretary (Personnel) in the Rajya Sabha Secretariat P P K Ramacharyulu and journalist Rahul Srivastava are the other members of this search-cum-selection committee.
- Rajasthan State Government under Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje has passed Criminal Laws (Rajasthan Amendment) Ordinance, 2017 and this ordinance provides how many days immunity to the officers?
1. 50 days
2. 200 days
3. 180 days
4. 150 days
5. 199 daysAnswer 3. 180 days
Explanation Rajasthan State Government under Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje has passed Criminal Laws (Rajasthan Amendment) Ordinance, 2017 which seeks to protect serving judges, former judges, magistrates and public servants in Rajasthan from being investigated for on-duty action without Government’s prior sanction.
The ordinance also seeks to bar the media from reporting on accusations till the sanction to proceed with the probe is obtained. The ordinance provides 180 days immunity to the officers, during which no investigation could be ordered nor could any investigation be carried out against serving judges, former judges, magistrates and public servants in Rajasthan.
- Which State Government announced to double the ex-gratia amount for police officials martyred on duty?
3. Tamil Nadu
4. Madhya Pradesh
5. Uttar PradeshAnswer 5. Uttar Pradesh
Explanation Uttar Pradesh State Government under Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announced to double the ex-gratia amount for police officials martyred on duty. Post this announcement, the ex-gratia amount for Police officials martyred on duty stands, revised to Rs. 40 lakh from Rs. 20 lakh earlier. Mr. Adityanath made this announcement at the Police Commemoration Day Parade in Lucknow. He also announced that number of medals awarded to police personnel in all the units of Uttar Pradesh’s Police Department has been increased from 200 to 950.
- The word “izzat ghar” means __________.
1. Place Of Worship
2. Educational Institution
3. House Of Dignity
4. House Of Poor
5. Removal Of UntouchabilityAnswer 3. house of dignity
Explanation The Central Government has asked each state to name the toilets in their rural households as “izzat ghar”, or to use a phrase in regional language equivalent to “house of dignity”.
Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has asked the state government’s principal secretaries, to name toilets in rural areas as “izzat ghar”, after observing the name being used in many parts of Uttar Pradesh.
- In which state Dasna Jail is located?
3. Uttar Pradesh
4. Madhya Pradesh
5. TripuraAnswer 3. Uttar Pradesh
Explanation The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to rename the dental clinic at Dasna Jail in Ghaziabad after Aarushi Talwar, who was murdered at the age of 14 at her residence in 2008.
- Which country passes legislation to legalize medical plant marijuana?
5. PeruAnswer 5. Peru
Explanation Peru’s conservative Congress passed a bill to legalize medical uses of marijuana with 68-5 vote in favour. This legislation was proposed by Peru’s President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski after police cracked down on a group of mothers making cannabis oil in a makeshift laboratory to treat their children suffering from epilepsy, a neurological disorder. In next 60 days, Peruvian lawmakers will finalise the regulations for producing and commercializing cannabis oil.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme is a scheme introduced for ___________?
1. SC & ST Savings
2. Girl child savings
3. Pension schemes
4. BPL accounts
5. LPG subsidy accountAnswer 2. Girl child savings
Explanation Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme, the scheme related to girl child savings offers 8.3 per cent annually, whereas investment on 5-year Senior Citizens Savings Scheme will yield 8.3 per cent, with the interest being paid quarterly.
- Linking of ________ with the bank account is made mandatory by The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) under the Prevention of Money-Laundering (Maintenance of Records).
1. Ration card
2. BPL card
3. Phone number
4. Email Id
5. Aadhaar cardAnswer 5.Aadhaar card
Explanation the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) clarified that linking of Aadhaar to bank account is mandatory under the Prevention of Money-Laundering (Maintenance of Records).
The clarification has been made after a section of the media reported, while giving a reply to a Right to Information Act application, that linking of bank accounts with Aadhaar is not mandatory.
- APEDA an apex organisation under the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry will conduct programmes to promote products of north eastern India in which foreign countries?
1. Bangladesh and Bhutan
2. China and Japan
3. Bangladesh and Myanmar
4. Usa and Uk
5. Srilanka and MalivesAnswer 3. Bangladesh and Myanmar
Explanation Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA)an apex organisation under the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry will conduct programmes to promote products of north eastern India in Bangladesh and Myanmar.
Programme in Myanmar will be organised in association with Indian High Commission in Yangon and is scheduled to be held in November 2017.
Programme in Bangladesh will be organised in association with Indian High Commission in Dhaka and is scheduled to be held in first week of December 2017. In Bangladesh the programme will be held in Dhaka as well as in Sylhet.
- India holds which place according to corporate social responsibility(CSR) Report information in the annual financial report of companies?
5. HundredAnswer 1. First
Explanation According to 10th KPMG Survey of Corporate Responsibility Reporting, India has emerged as the top country for reporting corporate social responsibility information in the annual financial report of companies. The survey was carried out by studying annual financial reports and corporate responsibility reports of top 100 companies (by revenue) in each 49 countries it covered.
- Which country’s last car factory was shut down, as GM Holden Ltd, a unit of US carmaker General Motors Co, closed its plant?
2. New Zealand
5. TongaAnswer 1. Australia
Explanation Australia’s last car factory was shut down, as GM Holden Ltd, a unit of US carmaker General Motors Co, closed its plant in South Australia. GM Holden would shift production to Germany where advanced automation will help to keep manufacturing costs low. Similarly, last year Toyota Motor Corp and Ford Motor Co moved out of Australia.
- Name the playback singers who will be awarded Lata Mangeshkar Award 2017.
1. Sonu Nigam & Shreya Ghoshal
2. Asha Bhosle & Arjit Singh
3. Alka Yagnik & Udit Narayan
4. Ar Rahman & SPB
5. Udit Narayan & Sunidi ChauhanAnswer 3. Alka Yagnik and Udit Narayan
Explanation The very popular playback singers Alka Yagnikand Udit Narayan and the music composers Usha Khanna, Bappi Lahiri, Anu Malik and have been selected for the Madhya Pradesh state government’s prestigious National Lata Mangeshkari. The artistes will be honoured for their contribution in the field of singing and composition of music. The award, in the honour of Mangeshkar, will be presented on October 26 at a function in Indore, the birthplace of the 88-year-old legendary singer.
- According to the latest Forbes’ Rich List, who is the richest sports personality in the world?
1. Cristiano Ronaldo
2. Serena Williams
3. Lebron James
4. Lionel Messi
5. Roger FedererAnswer 1. Cristiano Ronaldo
Explanation According to the latest Forbes’ Rich List Cristiano Ronaldo is the richest sports personality in the world,
The Real Madridstriker has earned an incredible £70million in the last year, along with picking up another Champions Leaguemedal and becoming the inaugural winner of The Best FIFA Men’s Player award. Elsewhere on the list, Roger Federer comes in at No 5 having taken £48m in the last 12 months, while Sebastian Vettel is 14th on the list.
- Why Suu Kyi’s name is suggested by oxford students to remove from common room names?
1. Because she was too old to handle people
2. She is corrupted
3. She belonged to mafia gang
4. She couldn’t take action against wrong deeds
5. Inability to stop severe human rights abusesAnswer 5. Inability to stop severe human rights abuses
Explanation Students of St Hugh’s College have voted to remove Suu kyi’s name from the junior common room owing to her inability to stop severe human rights abuses against Rohingyas in Myanmar. Aung San Suu Kyi spent several years under house arrest in Yangon as a campaigner for democracy while Myanmar was ruled by a military dictatorship. She is the first State Counsellor of Myanmar.
- Who is appointed as the Ambassador of India to Switzerland?
1. Renu Patkar
2. Vishvas Keten
3. Sibi George
4. Birender Singh
5. Selva NaikAnswer 3. Sibi George
Explanation Sibi George was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Switzerland. She is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of 1993 batch. He has also served as deputy chief of mission of Indian embassy in Saudi Arabia. She will replace Smita Purushottam as the ambassador of India to Switzerland. He is presently serving as Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Aftairs. He would to take up this assignment shortly.
- Who is appointed as the new CEO of Malaysia Airlines?
1. Felipe Gozon
2. Gunupati Venkata Reddy
3. Izham Ismail
4. Vinay Dube
5. Cramer BallAnswer 3. Izham Ismail
Explanation Malaysia Airlines (MAS) announced that, it has appointed its current chief operating officer, former pilot Captain, Izham Ismail as its new Group CEO. Izham Ismail would replace Peter Bellew as CEO of Malaysia Airlines (MAS). Peter Bellew is returning to Ryanair airlines. She has 38 years of experience in the aviation industry. He started his career with Malaysia Airlines as a pilot in 1979.
- What is the purpose of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)?
1. Civic body that governs Mumbai
2. Statuatory board in Mumbai
3. Authority to control judges
4. Provide facilities for rural people
5. Electricity boardAnswer 1. civic body that governs Mumbai
Explanation Purpose – civic body that governs Mumbai.
Mayor – Vishwanath Mahadeshwar
- Which network has launched an excel-based offline tool for businesses to file initial GSTR-3B returns?
1. GST Network (GSTN)
2. Vodafone network
5. WLANAnswer 1. GST Network (GSTN)
Explanation GST Network (GSTN) has launched an excel-based offline tool for businesses to file initial GSTR-3B returns.
Taxpayers can download excel-based offline tool from the GSTN portal under the download section and later fill in the data. Following this, the file can be uploaded on GST portal. After uploading of the return to the GST Portal, the taxpayer has to preview the form, complete formalities like submit, offset the liability and file their GSTR-3B Return using digital signature or electronic verification code.
- What is the newly discovered Sun-like star which is also a planet-eater?
1. Orion Arm
2. Milky Way
3. Super Cluster
5. CapriconAnswer 4. Kronos
Explanation Astronomers have discovered a Sun-like star called ‘kronos’, a planet-eater that’s currently 350 light years away. This Sun-like star has consumed the rocky equivalent of 15 Earths. Its official designation is HD 240430.
- Which country tops in the list of pollution-linked deaths in world according to Lancet study?
5. PeruAnswer 4. India
Explanation As per a study conducted by Lancet Commission on Pollution and Health, released in Lancet medical journal, India has topped the list of countries with highest pollution-related deaths in year 2015. In this context, pollution-related death refers to death caused by diseases linked to air, water and other forms of pollution. 81 million out of 2.51 million pollution-related deaths were due to polluted air, whereas polluted water caused 0.64 million deaths in India.
- Which Indian cricketer has signed a 1 year big bash League contract with Hobart Hurricanes ?
1. George Bailey
2. Veda Krishnamurthy
3. Cameron Boyce
4. James Bazley
5. Dan ChristianAnswer 2. Veda Krishnamurthy
Explanation Veda Krishnamurthy, Indian cricketer, has signed a 1 year contract with Hobart Hurricanes and will be available for their 10 league games of the third season, starting on 9th December 2017. Veda Krishnamurthy has become the third Indian cricketer to sign a Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) contract.
- Who is Amal Datta?
5. CricketerAnswer 4. MP
Explanation Former Lok Sabha member Amal Datta died at a private city hospital due to cardiac arrest, in Kolkata. He was 84 years old. He represented the Diamond Harbour constituency in the Lok Sabha for 14 years. He is survived by his wife and two sons.
- When is “The Police Commemoration Day” observed all over India?
1. 21st October
2. 22nd October
3. 23rd October
4. 31st October
5. 1st OctoberAnswer 1. 21st October
Explanation The Police Commemoration Day is observed on 21st October every year. The Union Home Minister, Rajnath Singh attended the Police Commemoration Day Parade at the Police Memorial Ground, in New Delhi. The Annual Conference of Inspectors General of Police of States and Union Territories held in January 1960 decided that 21st October would be observed as ‘Police Commemoration Day’.