AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs October 2 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Name the district that has been inducted as the 52nd district of Madhya Pradesh?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Niwari
On September 30, 2018, the state Cabinet of Madhya Pradesh approved the proposal of induction of Niwari district in the state. It became the 52nd district of the state. IAS officer Akshay Kumar Singh has been appointed as the first interim District Collector of the district.
- Which state has launched Wage Compensation scheme for Pregnant Women in tea gardens of the state, through which pregnant woman would receive Rs. 12,000 in 4 installments?
2) Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Assam
On October 1, 2018, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched Wage Compensation scheme for Pregnant Women in tea gardens of the state in Guwahati. Its objective is to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality in the tea growing areas. For the implementation of this scheme, an amount of over Rs 55 crore has been allotted in the state’s 2018-19 health Budget. According to the scheme, the pregnant woman would receive an amount of Rs. 12,000 given in 4 installments. The disbursement will be in the following manner: The first instalment of Rs 2,000 will be provided during the Ante-Natal Check-up (ANC) registration within the first trimester, Second instalment of Rs 4000 during the sixth month of the pregnancy, The third instalment of Rs 3000 during delivery at a government-approved health institution and The fourth installment of Rs 3,000during the sixth week post-delivery.
- Which state government launched State Food Security Scheme (SFSS) on Gandhi Jayanti (October 2), covering 25 lakh poor people, through which they will receive 5 kg of rice at Rupee 1 per kg?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Odisha
On October 2, 2018, the Odisha government launched its own State Food Security Scheme (SFSS). Under this scheme, 18.32 lakh poor and eligible people will receive 5 kg of rice at the rate of Rupee 1 per kg. These people were not covered under National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA). Additionally, 6.68 lakh people will be added in the list by October 10, 2018. This is in response to the failure of the central government’s approval against the state’s request to include 25 lakh people under the NFSA.
- India decided to extend a line of credit (LoC) of _____ dollars to Uzbekistan through Exim Bank for housing and other social infrastructure projects, on 1st October 2018?
1) $200 million
2) $500 million
3) $400 million
4) $300 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) $200 million
On October 1, 2018, Uzbekistan President Shavkat Mirziyoyev held delegation level talks with PM Narendra Modi at Hyderabad House in New Delhi. Here, India and Uzbekistan signed 17 MoUs in various fields. They are: Agriculture, Tourism, combating illicit trafficking, health and medical science and pharmaceuticals. Also, both the nations agreed to strengthen trade and investment ties and have set a bilateral trade target of $1 billion by 2020. India has decided to extend a line of credit (LoC) of $200 million to Uzbekistan through Exim Bank for housing and other social infrastructure projects under Uzbekistan’s proposal of $800 million line of credit. India would also provide assistance in the areas of space, human resource development and Information Technology.
- What is the rank of India in pictorial warnings on cigarette packets, as per Cigarette Package Health Warnings: International Status Report 2018, released by the Canadian Cancer Society?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 5
On October 2, 2018, according to a report released by the Canadian Cancer Society named Cigarette Package Health Warnings: International Status Report 2018, India ranked 5th among 206 countries. This was released in Geneva at the 8th session of the Conference of the Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC). India shared the rank with Thailanad and Hongkong, covering 85% of both sides of the packet. Other countries in the top five are: Timor-Leste with 92.5 per cent on front and back coverage, Nepal (90%) ranking 2nd and Vanuatu (90%) tied for second ranking and New Zealand ranking 4th in the list with 87.5 per cent. In the previous 2016 report, Nepal and Vanuatu were first and second and India had ranked 3rd. 118 countries and territories now require pictorial health warnings on cigarette packages, up from 100 in 2016.
- ‘Reinvigorating Trade and Inclusive Growth’ — was released by the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Trade Organization and which bank on 30th September 2018?
1) World Bank
2) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
3) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) World Bank
On September 30, 2018, A report — ‘Reinvigorating Trade and Inclusive Growth’ — was released by the International Monetary Fund (IMF),World Bank and World Trade Organization. This report seeks to identify areas where trade has the potential of contributing productivity for economic growth. According to the report, full services trade liberalisation could raise manufacturing productivity by an average of 22 per cent across a sample of 57 countries. Better access and reliability of the manufacturing sector brought investment in new opportunities and technologies and helped in enhancing business services and coordination with customers.
- Alibaba and SoftBank-backed Paytm became the leading contributor to Unified Payments Interface (UPI) payments with over _____ % of overall market share, on 2nd October 2018?
1) 33 %
2) 45 %
3) 23 %
4) 55 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 33 %
On October 2, 2018, Alibaba and SoftBank-backed Paytm became the leading contributor to Unified Payments Interface (UPI) payments with over 33% of overall market share. In September 2018, it registered over 137 million UPI transactions. It also enabled BHIM UPI for offline payments where 5 million offline merchants accept Paytm UPI. More than 20 per cent of all payments on Paytm are made using BHIM UPI for mobile recharge and payments, electricity and water bills and DTH recharges. It also launched its Spam-proof “SMS Inbox” as part of its “Paytm Inbox”.
- Which stock exchange became the first stock exchange in India to launch the commodity derivative contracts in gold and silver?
1) NSE Ltd. (National Stock Exchange)
2) BSE Ltd. (Bombay Stock Exchange)
3) India International Exchange (India INX)
4) Ahmedabad Stock Exchange Ltd.
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) BSE Ltd. (Bombay Stock Exchange)
On October 1, 2018, BSE Ltd. (Bombay Stock Exchange) became the first stock exchange in the country to launch the commodity derivative contracts in gold and silver. It also aims to be price setter for 10 commodity products in India. Till date only 2 commodity contracts are available – on MCX and NCDEX. It has also applied for launching of crude oil and copper contracts with Sebi. Thus, the launch of various commodity derivatives platform on BSE will help efficient price discovery, reduce timelines and make it cost effective.
- Name the joint winners of Nobel Medicine Prize 2018?
1) James P Allison, Tasaku Honjo
2) Arthur Ashkin, Gerard Mourou
3) Gerald Patrick, Donna Strickland
4) Mikey Jonas, Morgan Reed
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) James P Allison, Tasaku Honjo
On October 2, 2018, Nobel Prize committee presented the Nobel Medicine Prize 2018 award to 2 joint winners – James P Allison of US and Tasaku Honjo of Japan. They received this prestigious award for their discovery of cancer therapy by “inhibition of negative immune regulation”. The 2018 Nobel Prize for Physics was awarded to Arthur Ashkin, Gerard Mourou and Donna Strickland for their groundbreaking discoveries in ‘laser physics’.
- Which country has decided to posthumously award the Congressional Gold Medal to Mahatma Gandhi for his contribution towards promotion of peace and non-violence?
1) United States
2) South Africa
4) South Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) United States
US lawmakers have moved a resolution in the US House of Representatives to posthumously award the Congressional Gold Medal to Mahatma Gandhi for his contribution towards promotion of peace and non-violence. Out of the 6 US lawmakers, four were Indian Americans. The resolution (H R 6916) was introduced in the US House of Representatives by Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney from New York on 23rd September 2018. The resolution is co-sponsored by four Indian American lawmakers Ami Bera, Raja Krishnamoorthi, Ro Khanna and Pramila Jayapal.
- Which university was declared the cleanest government university in the “Swachh Campus rankings” by Human Resource Development Ministry on 30th September 2018?
1) Maharashi Dayanand University, Haryana
2) Guru Nanak Dev University, Punjab
3) Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (ILBS), New Delhi
4) Algappa University, Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Maharashi Dayanand University, Haryana
On 30th September 2018, Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar announced the “Swachh Campus rankings” under various categories. “Swachh Campus rankings” under various categories are listed below:
Cleanest Government universities:
1.Maharashi Dayanand University, Haryana
2.Guru Nanak Dev University in Amritsar, Punjab
3.Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (ILBS), New Delhi
4.Algappa University in Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu
5.Acharya Nagarjuna University in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh
Cleanest residential campuses of private universities:
1.Symbiosis International University, Pune
2.OP Jindal Global University in Sonipat
3.KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research in Belagavi
4.Manipal University in Jaipur
- Who was appointed as UNICEF’s special representative of young people, on 2nd October 2018?
1) Sanjay Bhattacharya
2) Ravi Venkatesan
3) Madan Karthik
4) Edward Livingston
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ravi Venkatesan
On October 2, 2018, UNICEF has appointed Ravi Venkatesan has its special representative of young people. He will provide strategic guidance and support UNICEF globally. Prior to this, he was chairman of the Bank of Baroda between 2015-18. He was also the chairman of Microsoft India and served as the chairman of Cummins India and co-Chairman of Infosys Ltd.
- Who was appointed as chief economist of International Monetary fund (IMF), on 1st October 2018?
1) Ritu Das
2) Manish Bansal
3) Gita Gopinath
4) Pawan Goel
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Gita Gopinath
On October 1, 2018, International Monetary fund appointed Gita Gopinath as its chief economist. She succeeded Maurice (Maury) Obstfeld. She is currently working as John Zwaanstra Professor of International Studies and Economics at Harvard University. She is co-editor of the American Economic Review and co-director of the International Finance and Macroeconomics Program at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER). She received her Ph.D. in economics from Princeton University in 2001 after earning a B.A. from the University of Delhi and M.A. degrees from both the Delhi School of Economics and University of Washington.
- Who was appointed the first chairperson of National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA), on 28th September 2018?
1) Umesh Yadav
2) Siddharth Rao
3) Rangachari Sridharan
4) Sridhar Krishnan
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Rangachari Sridharan
On 28th September 2018, Rangachari Sridharan was appointed the first chairperson of National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA). Rangachari Sridharan is a retired IAS (Indian Administrative Service) officer of the 1983 batch of Karnataka cadre. He has been appointed as chairperson of NFRA for 3 years or till he attains 65 years of age. Also, Prasenjit Mukherjee has been appointed as full-time member of NFRA for 3 years. He is a 1980 batch (retired) officer of Indian Audit and Accounts Service.
- Name the person who was re-elected as President of Organisation of Pharmaceutical Producers of India (OPPI) on 2nd October 2018?
1) Ajay Malhotra
2) David Sebastian
3) A Vaidheesh
4) Mathew Simon
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) A Vaidheesh
On October 2, 2018, the Organisation of Pharmaceutical Producers of India (OPPI) re-elected A Vaidheesh as President for the second consecutive term. He is working as Vice President, South Asia & Managing Director, in GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals.
- Who took over as the new Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief (AOC-in-C) of the South Western Air Command of the Indian Air Force (IAF), on October 1, 2018?
1) Air Marshal RK Dhir
2) Air Marshal Sadasiva Rao
3) Air Marshal NK Singhania
4) Air Marshal Harjit Singh Arora
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Air Marshal Harjit Singh Arora
On October 1, 2018, Air Marshal Harjit Singh Arora took over as the new Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief (AOC-in-C) of the South Western Air Command of the Indian Air Force (IAF) in Gandhinagar. He replaced Retired Air Marshal RK Dhir. He was commissioned in the IAF as a fighter pilot in December 1981 and has commanded a MIG-21 Bison squadron. Earlier, he was Air Defence Commander at Headquarters of Western Air Command as well as Eastern Air Command.
- Which squash player won the 25th Asian junior individual squash championship title in Chennai, on 29thSeptember 2018?
1) Yuvraj Wadhwani
2) Arnav Sareen
4) Sanya Vats
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Yuvraj Wadhwani
On 29th September 2018, Yuvraj Wadhwani won the 25th Asian junior individual squash championship title in Chennai. Yuvraj Wadhwani defeated Pakistan’s Anas Ali Shah 13-11, 11-5, 6-11, 12-10 in the final and won gold medal. Yuvraj Wadhwani has become the second Indian to win the Under-13 title after Veer Chotrani, who had won the title in Iran in 2014. In the Under-15 category, Arnav Sareen won silver medal. He lost to Pakistan’s Mohammad Hamza Khan in the final. India won 1 gold, 1 silver and 4 bronze medals in total. The bronze medals were won by: Kavya Bansal, Tiana Parasrampuria, Sanya Vats and Tushar Shahani.
- What is the rank of Rohit Sharma in the latest ICC (International Cricket Council) ODI Rankings for Batsmen?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 2
Rohit Sharma has improved two places and reached 2nd spot and Shikhar Dhawan has secured 5th position in the latest ICC (International Cricket Council) ODI Rankings for Batsmen. The improvement in ranks is seen following India’s victory in the Asia Cup in the United Arab Emirates. Also, India’s spinner Kuldeep Yadav, jumped 3 places and reached a career-best 3rd position in the Bowlers’ rankings. Afghanistan’s leg-spinner Rashid Khan topped the All-rounders’ list replacing former Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan.
- Australian player Mile Jedinak announced his international retirement on 1st October 2018. Which sport is he related to?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Football
On 1st October 2018, Australian midfielder Mile Jedinak announced his retirement from international football. Mile Jedinak is 34 years old. He has won 79 caps for Australia. He has represented Australia in 3 World Cups, two times as captain. He led Australia to win the 2015 Asian Cup in Australia. He also led Australia at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and 2018 World Cup in Russia. He also played at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
- Russian player Igor Akinfeev has announced his international retirement. Which sport is he related to?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Football
Russia goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev has announced his retirement from international football. Igor Akinfeev is 32 years old. He played for CSKA Moscow club. He has earned 112 caps for Russia. He made his debut in 2004. He captained the Russian national team to World Cup 2018 quarter-finals in Russia. He had played a major role in helping his team reach the quarter-finals.
- What was the theme of International Coffee Day celebrated on 1st October 2018?
1) For the love of coffee
2) Women in Coffee
3) The journey of Coffee
4) Coffee and its Benefits
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Women in Coffee
On 1st October 2018, International Coffee Day was celebrated throughout the world. In 2015, International Coffee Organization (ICO) launched the first official International Coffee Day. This day celebrates the journey of the coffee bean from farm to mug. It also encourages coffee as a beverage. Theme: for International Coffee Day 2018 is “Women in Coffee”.
- When was International Day of Non-Violence observed throughout the world?
1) October 1
2) October 2
3) September 28
4) September 29
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) October 2
On 2nd October 2018, International Day of Non-Violence was observed throughout the world. In 2007, the United Nations General Assembly declared October 2 as International Day of Non-Violence. October 2 is the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, leader of the Indian independence movement and pioneer of non-violence. This day aims to propagate non-violence through education and public awareness.
- When was Gandhi Jayanti observed all over India, commemorating Mahatma Gandhi’s birth anniversary?
1) October 2
2) October 3
3) September 29
4) September 30
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) October 2
On 2nd October 2018, Gandhi Jayanti was observed all over India, commemorating Mahatma Gandhi’s 149th birth anniversary. Every year, Gandhi Jayanti is observed on 2nd October to commemorate the birth anniversary of the Father of the Nation Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. He was born in 1869 in Porbandar, Gujarat. He was fondly called Bapu. He was a freedom fighter and a pioneer of non-
violence. He led India’s independence movement against the British rule. October 2 is also observed as the International Day of Non-Violence by United Nations.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the Director General of Directorate general of foreign trade (DGFT)?Alok Chaturvedi
- Where is Panna National Park located?Madhya Pradesh
- Who is the Chairman of Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)?Arvind Saxena
- Who is the President of Uzbekistan?Shavkat Mirziyoyev
- Name the MD and CEO of BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange)?Ashishkumar Chauhan