AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs October 19 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where was the sixth meeting of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) held on 18th October 2018?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) New Delhi
On October 18, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired the sixth meeting of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) at New Delhi. Other delegates present in the meeting were: Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh and officials of NDMA. The agenda of the meeting was:
• Review of ongoing projects undertaken by the NDMA,
• Review of effective management and response to disasters,
• Coordination between the various stakeholders for better implementation of joint projects,
• Need to bring in global expertise in the field of disaster management.
- Where did Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi unfurl India’s highest tricolor flag, on 17thOctober 2018?
4) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mumbai
On October 17, 2018, Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi unfurled India’s highest tricolor flag at the majestic Haj House in Mumbai. The flag is 20×30 feet in dimensions and stands 350 feet above the ground. It is atop a 20-metre high mast on top of the iconic building near the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) in south Mumbai. This makes it the highest tricolour installed on the terrace of any building of such height in the country. This flag has been manufactured by Flag Company. The minister also inaugurated a special ‘viewers gallery’ atop the Haj House to overlook the gems of Mumbai. He also announced the schedule of Haj 2019 which will be 100 per cent subsidy free.
- Shahi litchi of which state got the 4th Geographical Indication (GI) tag, on 18th October 2018?
3) Himachal Pradesh
4) Jammu and Kashmir
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bihar
On October 18, 2018, the famous Shahi litchi of North Bihar has got the 4th Geographical Indication (GI) tag. Earlier, Jardalu mango, Katarni rice and Magahi paan from the state got the GI tag. Shahi Litchi is mainly cultivated in Muzaffarpur, Samastipur, Vaishali, East Champaran and Begusarai. The GI registration was done in the name of Litchi Growers Association of Bihar, which had applied for the tag. Bihar produces 40 per cent of the litchi grown in the country on 38 per cent of the area.
- Which state government has decided to amend the Industrial and Business Development Policy 2017 to give investment incentive through ‘Net SGST (Net State Goods And Services Tax) Incentive’ on intrastate sale?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Punjab
Punjab government has decided to amend the Industrial and Business Development Policy 2017 to give investment incentive through ‘Net SGST (Net State Goods And Services Tax) Incentive’ on intrastate sale. It has also approved global tendering for the upcoming hi-tech Cycle Valley on a 100-acre industrial park in Ludhiana. These decisions were taken at the Cabinet meeting, to enhance industrial development in Punjab. The incentive under current policy will only be applicable for investment proposals where Common Application Form has been submitted by March 31, 2020. Plan for implementing the Cycle Valley project and layout plan of the project has been finalised and approved by the competent plan approval committee.
- Which state announced 3 % sub-quota in recruitments for sportspersons to be extended for recruitments in Government Departments and public sector undertakings, on 17th October 2018?
2) Himachal Pradesh
3) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Tamil Nadu
On October 17, 2018, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswamy announced 3 percent sub-quota in recruitments for sportspersons in a function organized jointly by sports associations in Chennai. It will be extended for recruitments in Government Departments and public sector undertakings. A panel led by the state Chief Secretary has been formed to help implement the proposal. Earlier in the Independence Day, he had announced to provide 2% reservation for the sportspersons which has been increased to 3% due to requests from various organizations.
- Which state approved extension of the enhanced 50 % reservation for women to the office of the chairperson of panchayat samitis and zila parishads, on 18th October 2018?
1) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Punjab
On October 18, 2018, the Punjab Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh, approved extension of the enhanced 50 per cent reservation for women the office of the chairperson of panchayat samitis and zila parishads. Earlier,the reservation for women in these bodies are 33%.The government has amended:
• The Punjab Panchayati Raj Act, 1994 and
• The Punjab Reservation for Office of Sarpanches and Gram Panchayats and Chairmen and Vice Chairmen of Panchayat Samitis and Zila Parishad Rules, 1994.
- Which country celebrated the festival of Fulpati, on the seventh day of 10-day long Dashain festival, on 16thOctober 2018?
1) Sri Lanka
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Nepal
On October 16, 2018, Nepal celebrated the festival of Fulpati. In Nepalese, “Phool” means flower and “Pati” means leaves and plants. It is observed on the seventh day of Dashain festival. The tradition in Nepal is to bring nine types of Fulpati into the home on the seventh day of Navaratri. More than 21 lakh people have left Kathmandu valley to celebrate Dashain at their native places with family, relatives and friends. The main function was held at Basantpur Durbar Square in Kathmandu, where Fulpati was brought to Dashainghar from Jamal in a traditional procession with Vedic rituals.
- Who will be awarded the Rachana Entrepreneur of the Year award on November 17, 2018 in Mangaluru?
1) Aloysius Richard Lobo
2) Lawrence Pinto
3) Ronald Castelino
4) Faye D’Souza
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ronald Castelino
On October 18, 2018, Rachana – Catholic Chamber of Commerce and Industry selected 5 eminent people for the Rachana Awards 2018. The award ceremony would take place in at Milagres Jubilee Hall on November 17, 2018 in Mangaluru. The 5 selected awardees are:
• Aloysius Richard Lobo for Rachana NRI of the Year award,
• Lawrence Pinto for Rachana Agriculturist of the Year award,
• Ronald Castelino for Rachana Entrepreneur of the Year award,
• Faye D’Souza from Mirror now for Rachana Professional of the Year award.
• Sr Maria Jyothi AC for Rachana Woman of the Year award.
- Who has won the Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2018 awarded by London’s Natural History Museum?
1) Mike Delfino
2) Rex Van de Camp
3) Marsel van Oosten
4) Michael Zachary
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Marsel van Oosten
On October 18, 2018, Dutch photographer Marsel van Oosten has won Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2018. It was awarded by London’s Natural History Museum. He got the award for his photo titled “The Golden Couple,” which is the striking photo of a pair of endangered golden snub-nosed monkeys in central China’s Qin Ling Mountains. Second place in the competition was awarded to Skye Meaker, 16, who won the Young Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2018 award. The two winning images will be showcased in an exhibition featuring 98 other entries at the Wildlife.
- Name the former SBI chairperson who was appointed as the independent additional director of Reliance Industries (RIL) on 18th October 2018?
1) Arundhati Bhattacharya
2) Surya Kumar
3) A S Kiran
4) Radhakrishnan Nair
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Arundhati Bhattacharya
On October 18, 2018, Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries (RIL) inducts former SBI chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya as the independent additional director. The appointment has been for a period of 5 years starting from October 17, 2018. Prior to this, she was the first woman to head the bank as Chairman in 2013 after she joined SBI in 1977 as a probationary officer.
- Who was elevated as the Head of Investment, Equity in Canara Robeco Mutual Fund on 16th October 2018?
1) Ashwathy Nair
2) Nimesh Chandan
3) John Samuel
4) Preethi Reddy
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Nimesh Chandan
On 16th October 2018, Canara Robeco Mutual Fund elevated Nimesh Chandan as the Head – Investment, Equity with immediate effect. This position has been newly created. In this role, Nimesh Chandan will guide the equity team in providing a strategy for equity funds. Nimesh Chandan has over twenty years of experience in the financial services sector. He had joined Canara Robeco Mutual Fund as a senior fund manager. Earlier, he had worked with ICICI Prudential Asset Management, SBI Mutual Fund and Birla Sunlife Mutual Fund, Strategic Capital (Stratcap) Securities.
- Name the Minister of state for external affairs who resigned on the account of rising amount of sexual allegations against him, on 17th October 2018?
1) MJ Akbar
2) Ananth Kumar
3) Rajesh Hegde
4) Prathap Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) MJ Akbar
On October 17, 2018, Minister of state for external affairs MJ Akbar resigned on the account of rising amount of sexual allegations against him. PM Narendra Modi and President Ram Nath Kovind accepted his resignation. He was inducted into the Union Council of Ministers by PM Narendra Modi on 5 July 2016. He is also a veteran Indian journalist and author. He also launched, as editor, India’s first weekly political news periodicals in India including India Today, Headlines Today, The Telegraph, The Asian Age and Deccan Chronicle among others.
- What is the trade name of the innovative technology for “Drinking Water Disinfection System” launched by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Indian Institute of Toxicology Research (CSIR-IITR), Lucknow?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) OneerTM
Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Indian Institute of Toxicology Research (CSIR-IITR), Lucknow, has developed an innovative technology for “Drinking Water Disinfection System” with the trade name “OneerTM”. The “OneerTM” technology was transferred to M/s Bluebird Water Purifiers, New Delhi, on 17th October 2018. It will be used in continuous treatment of water and will eliminate disease causing pathogens like virus, bacteria, fungi, protozoa and cyst. It will provide safe drinking water to domestic use and communities as per National and International standards for potable water (BIS, WHO etc.).
- Name the galaxy proto-supercluster discovered by scientists at the European Southern Observatory (ESO), which is the largest and the most massive structure in the early universe known so far?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Hyperion
Scientists at the European Southern Observatory (ESO) have discovered a galaxy proto-supercluster named “Hyperion”, the largest and the most massive structure in the early universe known so far. The discovery was made by astronomers led by Olga Cucciati of Bologna’s National Astrophysics Institute. Hyperion was found using data from VIMOS Ultra-Deep Survey done by VIMOS instrument on European Southern Observatory’s (ESO) Very Large Telescope in Chile. VIMOS is an instrument that measures objects at a distance of billions of light years away. It enables scientist to see what the early universe was like.
- Name the author of the book “Brief Answers to the Big Questions” that was released on 18th October 2018?
1) Stephen Hawking
2) Paul Freeman
3) Courtney Huber
4) Susan Phylis
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Stephen Hawking
On October 18, 2018, Stephen Hawking’s final work “Brief Answers to the Big Questions” was launched. It has been completed by the theoretical physicist’s family and academic colleagues, with material drawn from his vast personal archive. It tackles various issues including existence of God, potential time travel and human intelligence during the next 100 years.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Chairman of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)?Narendra Modi
- Where is Tadoba Andheri Tiger Reserve located?Maharashtra
- Who is the governor of Bihar?Lalji Tandon
- Name the Chairman and headquarters of Bajaj Finance?Chairman – Rahul Bajaj; Headquarters – Pune
- Who is the Director General of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)?Dr. Shekhar C Mande