AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs October 16 Quiz 2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Which state has launched foot patrolling in all districts?
5. OdishaAnswer 2. Punjab
Explanation Punjab police launched foot patrolling i.e. an initiative whereby police personnel will patrol designated areas on foot to keep a watch on anti-social elements. This initiative has been launched in all districts of Punjab. Objective of foot patrolling is to reduce incidence of crime by increasing the presence of police in vulnerable locations.
- Footwear Design & Development Institute (FDDI) is established under which ministry?
1. Union Ministry of Commerce & Industry
2. Union Ministry of Agriculture
3. Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs
4. Union Ministry of Culture
5. Union Ministry of Corporate AffairsAnswer 1. Union Ministry of Commerce & Industry
Explanation Footwear Design & Development Institute (FDDI) was established up by the Govt. of India in 1986 with an objective to provide human resource and technical services to the industry.
It was established under the aegis of the Union Ministry of Commerce & Industry. Headquarters of FDDI is located in Noida, Uttar Pradesh. It has campuses in Noida, Fursatganj (Raebareli), Guna, Chennai, Kolkata, Rohtak, Chhindwara and Jodhpur.
- CHAMAN project is being implemented by Mahalanobis National Crop Forecast Centre (MNCFC) using which technology?
3. Remote sensing technology
5. ForeignAnswer 3. Remote sensing technology
Explanation Union Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister, Radha Mohan Singh reviewed Project CHAMAN during a presentation on the project in New Delhi. This project is being implemented by Mahalanobis National Crop Forecast Centre (MNCFC) using remote sensing technology. It is likely to be completed in March 2018. This project gives methodology for preparing reliable estimates of horticulture crops. This methodology will help the farmers to generate better income.
- Pakistan have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with which country to improve border security between the two countries?
3. Saudi Arabia
5. OmanAnswer 1. Iran
Explanation Pakistan and Iran have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to improve border security between the two countries. This MoU was signed in Gwadar, Pakistan during the 21st two-day meeting of Pak-Iran Joint Border Commission. Issues discussed during this meeting included border situation, security matters, immigration and border trade between two countries. Iran and Pakistan have also committed to end drugs smuggling, intrusion of illegal immigrants and not supporting terrorist activities on their soil against each other.
- First Investment Agreement was signed between NIIF and Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA). NIIF is a fund created by the Government of India for enhancing __________ in the country.
3. Educational Institutions
5. RailwaysAnswer 4. Infrastructure
Explanation National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) of India signed an investment agreement worth $1 billion with Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA). As a part of this pact, ADIA has become the first institutional investor in NIIF’s Master Fund and a shareholder in NIIF’s investment management company named National Investment and Infrastructure Limited. NIIF is a fund created by the Government of India for enhancing infrastructure financing in the country.
- SEBI reorganised its committee on Market Infrastructure Institutions (MII) that gives advice about of the following?
1. Stock exchanges
2. Clearing corporations
3. Depository participants.
4. None of these
5. All the aboveAnswer 5. All the above
Explanation SEBI reorganised its committee on Market Infrastructure Institutions (MII) that advises it on reviewing norms related to stock exchanges, clearing corporations and depository participants. The five member expert committee on MII is now chaired by R Gandhi, former Deputy Governor at Reserve Bank of India (RBI). Other members are Leo Puri, UTI AMC Managing Director, Gopal Naik, Dean, faculty at IIM Bangalore, G Anantharaman, former whole time member SEBI, and S Ravindran executive director at SEBI.
- Which E-commerce company has tied up with the Union Textile Ministry, to work directly with weavers and improve their economic status?
5. ShopcluesAnswer 2. Myntra
Explanation E-commerce major Myntra has tied up with the Union Textile Ministry, to work directly with weavers and improve their economic status. Myntra has tied up with the Government, involving some of its partner brands also, to bring artisans and their products online.This has been done in a move to support to the Government’s plan to improve demand for arts and handloom products in India. These products will retail on Myntra through a dedicated online store. This would create a one-stop shop for all handloom products. This would provide the weavers, access to new customers and opportunities.
- Mahindra’s Prerna’ project for women farmers will be launched in which Indian state?
1. Madhya Pradesh
3. Tamil Nadu
5. OdishaAnswer 5. Odisha
Explanation Auto manufacturer Mahindra and Mahindra celebrated ‘Mahila Kisan Diwas’ and launched a programme, ‘Prerna’ to empower women working in the agriculture sector.
‘Prerna’ project is aimed at promoting the use of efficient and ergonomic farm tools and equipment by women who work long hours in the fields. It will be first launched in Odisha, with an aim to positively impact the lives of over 1,500 families across 30-plus villages.
- BNP Paribas teams up with which company to deliver an innovative blockchain¬ based platform “Corporate Event Connect”?
5. HCLAnswer 4. TCS
Explanation BNP Paribas Securities Services has teamed up with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) to deliver an innovative blockchain¬ based platform, Corporate Event Connect.
This platform will provide fast, accurate and secure corporate event announcements to clients around the world. For a firm involved in securities market, processing information about corporate actions (such as dividend announcements, stock splits, bonus etc.) is one of the most complex tasks.
- Which Bollywood actor’s wax statue is to be displayed in Madame Tussauds wax museum in Hong Kong?
1. Varun Dhawan
2. Amir Khan
3. Akshay Kumar
4. Ranbir Kapoor
5. Ranveer SinghAnswer 1. Varun Dhawan
Explanation Bollywood actor Varun Dhawan’s wax statue is to be displayed in Madame Tussauds wax museum in Hong Kong. Varun Dhawan will unveil his wax statue in the first quarter of 2018. This is his first ever wax figure. Varun Dhawan’s wax statue is the fourth from India to be displayed in Madame Tussauds, Hong Kong. Already wax statues of Mahatma Gandhi, Narendra Modi and Amitabh Bachchan are on display.
- Which Folk artist gets ‘Kalakar Puraskar’ award 2017?
2. Shubha Mudgal
3. Gopal Gowda
4. Kailash Kher
5. Bismillah KhanAnswer 3. Gopal Gowda
Explanation This year’s ‘Kalakar Puraskar’ instituted by Mandd Sobhann will be conferred on renowned Konkani folk artiste Gopal Gowda.
This award was instituted by Mandd Sobhann, to honor Konkani artistes from the fields of folk arts, theatre, music and dance. Mandd Sobhann is an organisation that is working towards the aim of protecting Konkani identity. The award carries a cash award of Rs 25,000 and a citation.
- Name the eminent person who has been selected for this year’s Padma Prabha Puraskaram for his contribution to Malyalam literature?
1. Prabha Varma
2. M T Vasudevan
3. O V Vijayan
4. P Kesadev
5. Subash ChandranAnswer 1. Prabha Varma
Explanation Prabha Varma, an eminent poet, lyricist and journalist has been selected for this year’s Padma Prabha Puraskaram for her contribution to Malyalam literature.
Padma Prabha Puraskaram is conferred for contributions to the field of Malayalam literature. It was instituted by the Padmaprabha Foundation in memory of freedom fighter and socialist Padmaprabha. The award carries a cash prize of Rs 75,000, a plaque and a citation. Prabha Varma’s name was chosen for this award by a jury headed by novelist M Mukundan.
- In which West African country Bharti Airtel and Millicom had planned to merge their operations?
5. GuineaAnswer 4. Ghana
Explanation Bharti Airtel Limited and Millicom International Cellular S.A with their respective subsidiaries (Airtel Ghana and Tigo Ghana) came out with the conclusion to combine their operations in Ghana. The Ghana National Communications Authority (NCA) granted approval for the merger proposal early this month. After the merging of both companies, they will be sharing the ownership and governance rights equally.
- Totally how many Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) corvettes are to be built under Project-28?
5. TenAnswer 4. Four
Explanation Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman commissioned India’s third indigenously built Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) corvette INS Kiltan into the Indian Navy. The commissioning ceremony was held at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh and was attended by Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil Lanba. INS Kiltan is the third of the four ASW corvettes to be built under Project-28.It has been designed by Directorate of Naval Design and has been built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata.
- The Indian Navy long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft P 8I has dispatched to which country to undertake a Search and Rescue operations (SAR) to find the missing sailors?
2. North Korea
5. VietnamAnswer 3. Philippines
Explanation The Indian Navy long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft P 8I has dispatched to Manila to undertake a Search and Rescue operations (SAR) to find the missing sailors of a merchant vessel that sank off the coast of Philippines. The aircraft took off at 11:45pm on October 15 to Manila in search of the missing sailors of MV Emerald Star which sank in North East of Philippines. The aircraft will land by 09:00 local time (0100 UTC) and will start Search and Rescue (SAR) operations straightaway.
- By defeating which football club, Mohun Bagan club has won the 37th All India Governor’s Gold Cup football tournament?
1. Partha Chakra FC
2. Dempo SC
3. Salgocar SC
4. Mumbai FC
5. Shillong lajong FCAnswer 1. Partha Chakra FC
Explanation Football club Mohun Bagan has won the 37th All India Governor’s Gold Cup football tournament.
Mohun Bagan defeated Partha Chakra by a narrow 1-0 margin to win the 37th All India Governor’s Gold Cup. The final match was played at Paljor Stadium in Gangtok, Sikkim. The only goal scored during the final match was by Mohun Bagan’s striker GA Kramah. With this victory, Mohun Bagan won the Governor’s Golden Cup for the 10th time.
- Who is the first Indian woman wrestler to sign with WWE?
1. Geeta Phogat
2. Sakshi Malik
3. Kavita Devi
5. BhiwaniAnswer 3. Kavita Devi
Explanation Kavita Devi, a former competitive powerlifter, became the first Indian woman to be signed by the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). Jinder Mahal, the current WWE champion, made this announcement in a special visit to New Delhi. Kavitha Devi would begin training at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida, by January 2018. Kavita Devi hails from Haryana. She underwent training to become a professional wrestler under the guidance of The Great Khali (Dalip Singh Rana).
- Who is the Brazilian sailor who announced his retirement from Olympics?
1. Torben Grael
2. Martine Grael
3. Kahena Kunze
4. Robert Scheidt
5. Isbel SwanAnswer 4. Robert Scheidt
Explanation Brazilian sailor Robert Scheidt announced his retirement from Olympic competition. Robert Scheidt has ended his 25 year career. He is 44 years old. He said that, he would continue to participate in non-Olympic events and support Brazil’s sailors to prepare for the 2020 Tokyo Games. Robert Scheidt said that, his decision to retire, has been very tough for him to make. He said he no longer felt competitive.
- Who is Lekh Tandon who passed away recently?
2. Film Maker
5. BusinessmanAnswer 2. Film Maker
Explanation Veteran filmmaker, Lekh Tandon, passed away at his residence in Powai, Mumbai. Lekh Tandon was bed-ridden for the last five to six months and was fed through a pipe. He died on 15thOctober 2017. His funeral was held in Powai on 16th October 2017. He was 88 years old. He was born in Lahore in 1929. Some of his famous movies are Professor (in 1962), Prince (in 1969), Ek Baar Kaho and Agar Tum Na Hote.
- Shamsher Khan who passed away recently in Andra, represented India in Olympics under which game?
1. Weight lifting
3. Long Jump
5. BadmintonAnswer 4. Swimming
Explanation India’s first Olympic swimmer, Shamsher Khan passed away in Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur district
Shamsher Khan suffered from prolonged illness. He was 87 years old. He is survived by three daughters and two sons. Shamsher Khan represented India in 1956 Melbourne Olympics. He died at his house in Islampur, a small village near Repalle, in Guntur.
- Who is Punyaslok Dasgupta?
5. ReformerAnswer 1. Poet
Explanation poet Punyaslok Dasgupta, died of kidney ailment at a hospital in Jalpaiguri, West Bengal. He was 66 years old. He is survived by his daughter. He was known for his simplicity and was loved by the common man. Dasgupta did not follow any particular poetry style. Some of his important works are‘Kuashar Bagan’ and ‘Chander Sangeet’.
- When is World Food Day celebrated?
1. October 17
2. October 18
3. October 19
4. October 20
5. October 16Answer 5. October 16
Explanation On 16th October 2017, World Food Day was observed all over the world.
The theme for World Food Day 2017 is ‘Change the future of migration. Invest in food security and rural development’. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) celebrates World Food Day to mark its creation. FAO was formed on 16th October 1945. World Food Day is a day dedicated to manage global hunger. It is held annually on 16th October.
- Where will 12th World Sudoku Championship (WSC) and 26th World Puzzle Championship (WPC) take place in India on October 2107?
1. New Delhi
5. BangaloreAnswer – 5. Bangalore
The 12th World Sudoku Championship and 26th World Puzzle Championship will be held from 15th October, 2017 to 22nd October, 2017.