AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs October 12 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where did NITI Aayog and ICC International Court of Arbitration organize a workshop on Best Practices in International Arbitration on October 10, 2018?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) New Delhi
It was inaugurated by the chief guest, Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri, Judge, Supreme Court. It was presided over by MoS for Law and Justice P P Chaudhary. It would help in institutionalising and streamlining dispute resolution to make India a hub for doing business. Also, the key priority of this being moving towards a ‘New India’ by 2022. It was an inaugural Training-cum-Brainstorming Workshop which emphasizes in ‘Make in India’ vision & ‘Resolve in India’ which encourage the Ease of Doing Business and Ease of Living in India. The workshop covered basic concepts of international arbitration, selection of arbitrators, enforcement of arbitral awards and the role of courts before, during and after the arbitration.
- ‘The National Electronics Policy 2018’ released by the government aims for a turnover of _____ dollars in domestic electronics manufacturing by 2025?
1) $400 billion
2) $900 million
3) $500 billion
4) $250 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) $400 billion
On October 12, 2018, a draft electronics policy named ‘The National Electronics Policy 2018’ was released by the government that aims a turnover of $400 billion in domestic electronics manufacturing by 2025. The policy targets to double the manufacturing to 1 billion mobile handsets by 2025 worth $190 billion including export of 600 million mobile handsets valued at $110 billion. It has also proposed creation of 200 electronic manufacturing clusters (EMC) by 2020. Under this, 20 greenfield EMCs and three brownfield EMC projects have been sanctioned with outlay of Rs 3,898 crore, including Rs. 1,577 crore from the Government of India.
- Where did India and Japan conduct their 2nd edition of ‘Japan-India Act East Forum’, on 8th October 2018?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
On October 8, 2018, India and Japan held their 2nd edition of ‘Japan-India Act East Forum’ in New Delhi. The meeting was co-chaired by Japan’s Ambassador Kenji Hiramatsu and Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale. In the meeting, both sides agreed to boost cooperation on connectivity projects in the northeast including connectivity to people-to-people exchanges and concrete projects. The projects include:
• Road and bridge connectivity projects,
• Forest management projects in states of Tripura and Meghalaya,
• A new initiative to utilise bamboo,
• To enhance people-to-people exchanges.
- Where was the 13th Annual Convention of the Central Information Commission (CIC) held on 12th October 2018?
4) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) New Delhi
On October 12, 2018, the President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the 13th Annual Convention of the Central Information Commission (CIC) in New Delhi. It consisted of the Annual Convention on the topic “Data privacy and Right to information, Amendment in the RTI Act and Implementation of the RTI Act”. The Convention will have three specific subjects:
• “Data privacy and Right to Information”,
• “Amendment in the RTI Act” and
• “Implementation of the RTI Act.”
The convention focused on discussions of free flow and availability of information to the citizens. For this reason, the Government is committed to strengthening the RTI Act and Institutions. Also, the government has already initiated the process of selection of Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) and Information Commissioner (ICs).
- Maharashtra government approved financial assistance of _____ rupees for the Tarli Irrigation Project in Satara district, on 9th October 2018?
1) Rs 1,610 crore
2) Rs 2,500 crore
3) Rs 4,799 crore
4) Rs 5,789 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 1,610 crore
On October 9, 2018, the Maharashtra government approved financial assistance of Rs 1,610 crore for the Tarli Irrigation Project in the Satara district of the state. This the 4th administrative approval given by the state government to the project. The project consists of: 8 lift irrigation schemes on the Tarli river, Bringing 6,507 hectares in the Tarli Valley and 8,876 hectares in the Maan and Khatav talukas of Satar district under irrigation. The project is yet to get Central Water Commissions’ approval.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) signed a MoU with which institute in Jammu to set up Satish Dhawan Center for Space Science in the University campus, on 11th October 2018?
1) Central University of Jammu (CUJ)
2) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), New Delhi
3) Indian Institute of Meteorology (IIM)
4) Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Central University of Jammu (CUJ)
On October 11, 2018, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) signed an MoU with the Central University of Jammu (CUJ) in Jammu to set up Satish Dhawan Center for Space Science, a Space Applications Centre in the University campus. It is the first of its kind institute coming up in Jammu and Kashmir and the building is proposed in an area of about 1,150 sq. m. This will help in various fields like disaster management, health, education, communication, weather forecasting, land use planning, etc. Considering the recurring natural calamities, the area can be easily monitored from space through remote sensing.
- Inland Water Authority of India (IWAI) launched a Roll-on-Roll-off (RO-RO) service from Neamati to Manjuli island of which state, on 11th October 2018?
2) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Assam
On October 11, 2018, Inland Water Authority of India (IWAI) launched a Roll-on-Roll-off (RO-RO) service from Neamati to Manjuli island in Assam. It will reduce the road route distance of 423 km to 12.7 km via river route. For the commencement of the service a new vessel MV Bhupen Hazarika has been procured at a cost of Rs. 9.46 crore. The vessel is 46.5-metre-long, 13.3-metre-wide and has the carrying capacity of 8 trucks and 100 passengers. The IWAI is also planning to procure more such Ro-Ro vessels for use on river Brahmaputra. Earlier, IWAI had started a similar Ro-Ro service between Dhubri and Hatsingimari with 190 km of reduced distance.
- Which state forest department started the vaccination of lions in the Gir Forest National Park to protect them from deadly Canine Distemper Virus (CDV), on 7th October 2018?
1) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Gujarat
On 7th October 2018, Gujarat Forest Department started the vaccination of lions in the Gir Forest National Park to protect them from deadly Canine Distemper Virus (CDV). Nearly 23 lions have died in the Gir sanctuary in less than a month. Most of them died due to Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) and protozoa infections. Asiatic lions are an endangered species. They are vaccinated under intensive veterinary care complying with standard protocol. CDV is a dangerous virus. It has destroyed 30% of the African lions in East African forests. CDV is largely found in wild dogs, jackals and wolves. It can spread to lions through the infected animals they eat.
- Indian Footwear, Leather & Accessories Development Programme (IFLADP) with approved expenditure of _____ rupees for 2017-20, will be implemented as part of special package for generation of employment in leather and footwear sector?
1) Rs 2600 Crore
2) Rs 5689 Crore
3) Rs 4566 Crore
4) Rs 6888 Crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 2600 Crore
Central Government has approved a special package for generation of employment in leather and footwear sector. The package consist of implementation of Central Sector Scheme – Indian Footwear, Leather & Accessories Development Programme (IFLADP) with approved expenditure of Rs. 2600 Crore for 2017-20. This scheme aims to develop infrastructure and address environmental issues related to leather sector, help with additional investments, generate employment and increase production. Under IFLADP 4 projects worth 107.33 crore have been approved in Tamil Nadu by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP). DIPP has also approved mega leather cluster at Bantala in West Bengal.
- How many new bases have been sanctioned for new battalions of Rapid Action Force (RAF) that were sanctioned by the central government in January 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 5
Five new battalions of Rapid Action Force (RAF) were sanctioned by the central government in January 2018 and their new bases have been sanctioned now. The 5 new Rapid Action Force (RAF) battalions will be based in:
• Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh
• Jaipur in Rajasthan
• Mangalore in Karnataka
• Hajipur in Bihar
• Nuh in Haryana
With the new additions, the total number of RAF battalions in India will increase to 15. Varanasi will be the 4th base of RAF in Uttar Pradesh. Three other bases are in Meerut, Allahabad and Aligarh. Land acquisition for the new bases are in process. The existing battalions will start functioning from their permanent locations soon.
- Home Ministry issued an advisory asking which administration to exempt Sikh women from wearing helmets while driving two-wheelers, on 11th October 2018?
3) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Chandigarh
On 11th October 2018, Home Ministry issued an advisory asking the Chandigarh administration to exempt Sikh women from wearing helmets while driving two-wheelers. This decision has been made following the representation of Sikh bodies, led by Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) chief Sukhbir Singh Badal to Home Minister Rajnath Singh. Home Ministry has directed Chandigarh administration to follow Delhi government’s notification, with an exemption to Sikh women from wearing helmets while driving two-wheelers in Chandigarh. Delhi government’s transport department notified on June 4, 1999, to carry out the amendment in Rule 115 of Delhi Motor Vehicle Act 1993, which makes it optional for women whether riding on pillion or driving motorcycle to wear a helmet.
- The provisions given in which section of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, states that Election Commission of India (ECI) can fill casual vacancies?
1) Section 151A
2) Section 123B
3) Section 114A
4) Section 141B
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Section 151A
On October 12, 2018, as per the provisions given in Section 151A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951, Election Commission of India (ECI) can fill casual vacancies. As per the norm, it can fill the casual vacancies in the Houses of Parliament and State Legislatures through bye elections within six months of occurrence of vacancy. This can only be allowed when the remainder of the term of a member in relation to a vacancy is one year or more. In the present scenario, the term of sixteenth Lok Sabha is upto 3rd June, 2019. Accordingly, the vacancies occurred in Karnataka have occurred more than one year before the expiration of the term of House which is why bye elections are required to be held under Section 151A of R. P. Act 1951.
- Where is the 32nd edition of India – Indonesia coordinated patrol (IND-INDO CORPAT) held from 11 – 27 Oct 2018?
1) Belawan harbour, Indonesia
2) Odisha Port, India
3) Mumbai Port, India
4) Java, India
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Belawan harbour, Indonesia
On October 11, 2018, Indian navy ship and aircraft joined in for the 16-day 32nd edition of India – Indonesia coordinated patrol (IND-INDO CORPAT) held from 11 – 27 Oct 2018 in Belawan harbour, Indonesia. The Indian side is represented by: Indian Naval Ship Kulish, a Kora class missile corvette, commanded by Commander Deepak Bali and Indian Dornier (naval maritime time patrol aircraft) from Andaman and Nicobar command. The Indian delegation is led by Commodore Ashutosh Ridhorkar, Naval Component Commander, Andaman and Nicobar Command. Under CORPAT, both the countries would undertake patrolling on the respective sides of 236 nautical miles long International Maritime Boundary Line. It would be conducted in three phases: From 14 – 24 Oct 2018 followed by a closing ceremony at Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar Island, scheduled from 25 – 26 Oct 2018.
- Name the new open ended equity scheme launched by Mahindra Mutual Fund that seeks investments in equity and equity related instruments of entities related to benefits of consumption in rural India, on 12th October 2018?
1) Mahindra Rural Bharat and Consumption Yojana
2) Mahindra Rural Fund Yojana
3) Mahindra Agri Consumption Yojana
4) Mahindra Rural Development Yojana
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Mahindra Rural Bharat and Consumption Yojana
On October 12, 2018, Mahindra Mutual Fund, a wholly owned subsidiary of Mahindra and Mahindra Financial Services Limited (MMFSL), launched new open ended equity scheme called ‘Mahindra Rural Bharat and Consumption Yojana’. It aims to seek investments in the equity and equity related instruments of entities related to benefits of consumption in rural India. The New Fund Offer will open on October 19 and close on November 2. This will provide investors an opportunity to participate in India growth story predominantly in Rural India.
- Name the human rights activist who won the Council of Europe’s Vaclav Havel prize on 8th October 2018?
1) Mohammed Asif
2) Oyub Titiev
3) Ramsus Heiden
4) Rafale Sebastian
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Oyub Titiev
On October 8, 2018, a human rights activist Oyub Titiev won the Council of Europe’s Vaclav Havel prize. The prize consists of 60,000-euro ($67,000) prize as a recognition to his struggle defending human rights in the troubled Russian Caucusus republic. Titiev is the prize’s 6th recipient. He heads the Grozny office of the Memorial Human Rights Centre in Chechnya. The chairman of Memorial’s board accepted the award on Titiev’s behalf. The Memorial was set up in 1989 and is the oldest existing Russian non-governmental organisation for human rights.
- Name the MD and CEO of Bank of Baroda who was given a one year extension by the government on 12thOctober 2018?
1) PS Jayakumar
2) Mahesh Kumar Jain
3) PJ George
4) R Gandhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) PS Jayakumar
October 12, 2018, Bank of Baroda’s Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, PS Jayakumar got a one-year extension on his role by the government. This is effective from October 12, 2018. This was due to the amalgamation between Bank of Baroda (BoB), Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank, where the government wants to keep the top management intact. BoB is the largest of the three banks that are getting consolidated. Prior to this, he was the MD & CEO of VBHC Value Home Pvt Ltd till August 2015.
- Who was appointed as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of AirAsia India with effect from 15th November 2018?
1) Kiran Basu
2) Sanjitha Manohar
3) Sunil Bhaskaran
4) Praveen Joshi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Sunil Bhaskaran
AirAsia India has appointed Sunil Bhaskaran as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with effect from 15th November 2018. AirAsia India is a joint venture between Tata Sons and Malaysia’s AirAsia Berhad. At present, Sunil Bhaskaran is vice president of corporate services at Tata Steel. He has vast experience in manufacturing, export and commercial operations with the Tata group.
- Kishour Giri, died following a heart attack in, Kharghuli, Assam, on 7th October 2018. What was his profession?
3) Spiritual Leader
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Singer
On 7th October 2018, Assamese singer and music director Kishour Giri, died following a heart attack, at his home in, Kharghuli, Assam. He was 63 years old. He played various musical instruments like guitar, violin and mandolin. He composed music for some Assamese films and television serials. He also raised his voice against social injustices.
- Name the environmentalist who died due to heart attack in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, after a 111-day hunger strike demanding the government to clean river Ganga, on 11th October 2018?
1) GD Agrawal
2) Amarnath Goel
3) Vijay Sinha
4) Ram Prasad Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) GD Agrawal
On 11th October 2018, environmentalist GD Agrawal, died due to heart attack in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, after a 111-day hunger strike demanding the government to clean river Ganga. G D Agrawal who was 86 years old, was on ‘fast unto death’ since June 22, 2018, demanding the government to stop hydel projects on the tributaries of Ganga in Uttarakhand, and to pass a law protecting the river. At the initial stages of his protest he had taken honey with water. Recently, he stopped taking any fluid. He had written three letters to Prime Minister Narendra Modi regarding this issue and all the three letters were unanswered.
- Name the author of the book “The Paradoxical Prime Minister” written on Prime Minister Narendra Modi?
1) Rahul Gandhi
2) Man Mohan Singh
3) Shashi Tharoor
4) Divya Spandana
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Shashi Tharoor
On 10th October 2018, Congress leader Shashi Tharoor introduced his new book “The Paradoxical Prime Minister” and a 29-letter word “floccinaucinihilipilification”. Shashi Tharoor has described his new book on Prime Minister Narendra Modi as “more than just a 400-page exercise in floccinaucinihilipilification”. Oxford dictionary states the meaning of floccinaucinihilipilification as “the action or habit of estimating something as worthless”. The cover of the book shows Prime Minister Narendra Modi examining a wax figure of himself at Madame Tussauds museum. The book is available on Amazon for pre-order. Shashi Tharoor is a second-term parliamentarian from Thiruvananthapuram constituency. He has served as Under-Secretary General in the United Nations.
- What is the theme of World Sight Day 2018 celebrated on 11th October 2018?
1) Eye Care Everywhere
2) Care for your Sight
3) Clear Eye Sight
4) I care for your Eye
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Eye Care Everywhere
On 11th October 2018, World Sight Day 2018 was observed throughout the world. World Sight Day was established by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 2000. It is observed on the second Thursday of October every year. It is coordinated by IAPB (International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness). This day highlights issues of blindness and vision impairment and efforts needed to support affected people. Theme: for World Sight Day 2018 is “Eye Care Everywhere”.
- When was World Arthritis Day 2018 observed all over the world?
1) October 10
2) October 9
3) October 11
4) October 12
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) October 12
On 12th October 2018, World Arthritis Day was observed all over the world. World Arthritis Day was established in 1996 by Arthritis and Rheumatism International (ARI). It is observed on 12th October every year. This day creates awareness on issues affecting people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases (RMDs). Arthritis is an inflammatory condition causing pain and stiffness in joints. European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR)’s campaign for World Arthritis Day 2018 is “Don’t Delay, Connect Today Campaign”.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the MD & CEO and headquarters of Dena Bank?CEO – Karnam Shekhar; Headquarters – Mumbai
- What is the tag line of Bank of Baroda?India’s International Bank
- Who is the Chief Election Commissioner of India?Shri. Om Prakash Rawat
- Where is Vansda National Park located?Gujarat
- Name the Governor of Karnataka?Vajubhai Vala