AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs November 23 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs September 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where did Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched month-long Nari Sashaktikaran Sankalp Abhiyan or Women Empowerment campaign, on 20th November 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Lucknow
On November 20, 2018, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched month-long Nari Sashaktikaran Sankalp Abhiyan or Women Empowerment campaign in Lucknow. It is aimed to empower women in the state through various programmes including education, self-employment, health, cleanliness, nutrition. For the awareness of the campaign, women officers and female staff of the state government will go door-to-door in villages to educate women about the schemes.
- Where did Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar launch the Institution’s Innovation Council, an innovation cell for higher education institutions, on 22nd November 2018?
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) New Delhi
On November 22, 2018, HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar launched the Institution’s Innovation Council through video conferencing at the AICTE headquarters in New Delhi. The objective of this initiative is to encourage, inspire and nurture young students by exposing them to new ideas. More than 1000 Higher Education Institutions have already formed IICs in their campuses to promote innovation.
- Which organization signed a MoU with the IIM Calcutta Innovation Park to help facilitate incubation of start-ups primarily in the Eastern and North Eastern states, on 21st November 2018?
1) NITI Aayog
2) Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
3) National Informatics Centre (NIC)
4) Raman Research Institute (RRI)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
On November 21, 2018, the Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC) signed a memorandum of understanding with the IIM Calcutta Innovation Park to help facilitate incubation of start-ups primarily in the Eastern and North Eastern states. It will primarily be focusing on developing start-up ecosystems that make a socio-economic impact in the eastern and north eastern states. This will help start-up entrepreneurs access ICC’s member network. IIM Innovation Park is currently incubating 40 startups with almost half from Bengal. It will further add 10 more by the end of this fiscal. The company has in the last two years selected 25-odd start-ups for incubation. Most of these start-ups are revenue generating and have reported a cumulative turnover of Rs. 50 crore in FY18.
- Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved MoU between Atal Innovation Mission, India and Fund “Talent and Success” of which country, for promotion of science & technology, on 22nd November 2018?
4) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Russia
On November 22, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Atal Innovation Mission, India and Fund “Talent and Success”, Russia for promotion of science & technology. The Mou was signed on October 5, 2018 for collaborative work through exchange of students, teachers, researchers and scientists between both countries.
- Union Cabinet has approved the extension of the term of the Commission examining the issue of Sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes (in the Central List) for 6 months till 31st May 2019. Who is the head of the Commission?
1) Justice G Rohini
2) Justice Motilal Singh
3) Justice Praneeth Reddy
4) Justice Vinay Mittal
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Justice G Rohini
On November 22, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the extension of the term of the Commission examining the issue of Sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes (in the Central List) for six months beyond 30th November, 2018 and till 31st May 2019. The commission consists of a five-member panel headed by Justice G Rohini (retd), which was formed in October 11, 2017. Based on the processed data, the Commission suggested a round of discussion be had with the States and their Backward Classes Commission before finalizing the sub-categorized lists and the Report.
- What is the rank of India in the list of most vacation deprived nations in the world as per Expedia Vacation Deprivation Report 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 5
On November 22, 2018, Expedia Vacation Deprivation Report 2018 was released that stated that India is among the most vacation deprived nation in the world ranking 5th among the 19 surveyed countries. It was done by Expedia, a US based travel agency. It ranked 5th in the table after Japan, Italy, Australia, New Zealand. India is followed by United States and Malaysia. As per data, 53 per cent of Indians take fewer vacation days than they get. 35 per cent don’t take leave as work schedule does not allow for vacation. 68 per cent of Indians have ended up cancelling their vacation due to work.
- Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), announced _____ dollar in aid to the war torn Yemen, on 20thNovember 2018?
1) $500 million
2) $200 million
3) $100 million
4) $300 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) $500 million
On 20th November, 2018 Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), announced $500 million in aid to the war torn Yemen in response to the dismal humanitarian conditions. The country is on the brink of famine after the long war which continued since 2015, when Saudi Arabia and the UAE intervened in the Yemen to support Yemeni President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi after the Iranian-aligned Houthi rebel group took over the capital Sanaa.
- Which has become the first small finance bank to introduce a personal loan scheme for salaried individuals, through which Rs 50,000 to Rs 15 lakhs personal loan will be offered to individuals earning a monthly salary of above Rs 15, 000?
1) AU Small Finance Bank
2) Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
3) Muthoot Small Finance Bank
4) Jana Small Finance Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ujjivan Financial Services Limited introduced a new personal loan scheme for salaried individuals. By this offer, it became the first small finance bank to introduce this type of facility. The 14 tier I and tier II locations where the product will be launched are Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Delhi, Kolkata, Pune, Surat, Mumbai, Mysuru, Ankaleshwar, Coimbatore, Kochi, Chennai and Vadodara. Personal loans starting from Rs 50,000up toRs 15 lakhs will be offered to salaried professionals who are earning a monthly salary above Rs 15, 000. Key features of the product include, loan without any collateral or deposit of any asset and its attractive interest rate with complete digital processing. However the credit history of the individual will be considered while passing the loan. To pay EMI, a flexible time frame of 12 to 60 months will be provided by the bank.
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has partnered with which digital payments service provider to offer online insurance premium payments on its platform?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Paytm
Softbank-backed, digital payments service provider, Paytm (One 97 Communications Limited) has partnered with the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) to offer online insurance premium payments on its platform. Paytm now has 30 insurance companies on its platform including LIC, ICICI Prudential Life, Reliance Life, Max Life Insurance, HDFC Life, TATA AIA, SBI Life, Aditya Birla Sun Life, Canara HSBC Life Insurance, Shri Ram Life and Star Health among others. A simpler and faster method of premium payments will be offered through the Paytm appwith the freedom of paying premium through debit card, credit card, net banking and Paytm Wallet, besides availing the benefit of several deals and offers. Life insurance sector in India is the biggestin the world in terms of policy count with about 360 millionpolicies. It is expected to increase at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 12-15 % over the next five years. The insurance market is also expected to quadruple over the next decade from its current size of US$ 50 billion.
- Name the actor who was awarded the 3rd Sayaji Ratna Award for his social contribution to pay off the loans of several farmers from Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra, on 20th November 2018?
1) Akshay Kumar
2) Amitabh Bachchan
3) Shah Rukh Khan
4) Irfan Khan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Amitabh Bachchan
On November 20, 2018, film star Amitabh was Bachchan awarded the third Sayaji Ratna Award in Laxmi Vilas Palace, Vadodara for his social contribution to pay off the loans of several farmers from Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra. He had helped 1,398 farmers from Uttar Pradesh and 350 from Maharashtra through his contribution. The first 2 recipients of the award were: Infosys co-founder N R Narayana Murthy and industrialist Ratan Tata.
- Name the winners of International James Dyson award 2018, who designed a innovative ‘Urban wind turbine’ called O-Wind Turbine?
1) Nicolas Orellana, Yaseen Noorani
2) Michael Regan, Samuel Rolland
3) Mike Delfino, Arian Richard
4) Sean Preston, Peter Prentice
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Nicolas Orellana, Yaseen Noorani
On November 21, 2018, the prestigious International James Dyson award 2018 was won by Nicolas Orellana of Chile and Yaseen Noorani from Kenya for their innovative design ‘Urban wind turbine’ called O-Wind Turbine. It would help cities to harness energy to produce electricity and was inspired from NASA’s Mars Tumbleweed Rover. It is a sphere shaped object with vents that spins and converts the power of the wind into electricity. This can either be used as a direct source of power or it can be fed into the electricity grid.
- Which organization was selected for the Asia Environmental Enforcement Award 2018, for its contributions in combating the trans-boundary environmental crime by United Nations Environment program?
1) Wildlife Protection Board (WPB)
2) Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB)
3) International Wildlife Protection Organisation (IWPO)
4) Crime Control Board for Wildlife (CCBW)
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB)
On 21th November, 2018, the Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) was selected for the Asia Environmental Enforcement Award 2018, for its outstanding contributions in combating the trans-boundary environmental crime by United Nations Environment program. WCCB is a statutory multi-disciplinary body established by the government under the Environment Ministry to combat organized wildlife crime in the country.
- Name the first Indian academician who won the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle, the highest civilian honour given to a foreigner by Mexico, on 19th November 2018?
1) Ramamoorthy S
2) Shyama Prasad Ganguly
3) Vikas Seth
4) Harpal Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Shyama Prasad Ganguly
On November 19, 2018, the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle, the highest civilian honour given to a foreigner by Mexico, was awarded to Professor Shyama Prasad Ganguly in the India International Center (IIC). He is the first Indian academician to receive this honour. He was decorated with the striking gold-yellow insignia by Mexican Ambassador Melba Pria. The award was in recognition of his “outstanding work in the study and dissemination of the Spanish language and Mexican culture”. He is a Hispanist who has headed the Centre for Spanish and Latin American Studies at Jawaharlal Nehru University five times.
- Which Indian institute won silver in the International Green Apple Award for environmental best practice 2018 at a ceremony held in London, on 22nd November 2018?
1) Manipal Academy of Higher Education
2) Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
3) Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences
4) Indian Institute of Management, Bombay
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Manipal Academy of Higher Education
On 22nd November, 2018, the Manipal Academy of Higher Education won silver in the International Green Apple Award for evironmental best practice 2018 at a ceremony held at the Houses of Parliament in London. The award was received by Derrick I. Joshua, Assistant Director, Environment Sustainability, Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE). Green Manipal, the award winning project of MAHE was selected among the 800 global nominations which competed to pick the greenest individuals, companies, councils and communities. MAHE’s winning paper will be published in the leading international work of reference on environmental best practice called The Green Book. MAHE now will have 100 trees planted in their name as part of the United Nations Billion Trees Initiative. And can participate in the Green World Awards 2019.
- Who resigned as United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Executive Director on 20th November 2018?
1) Erik Solheim
2) Jeremy Reed
3) Vivian Richards
4) Stacey Huffman
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Erik Solheim
On 20th November 2018, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Executive Director Erik Solheim resigned following an internal audit report that said he had gobbled up $500,000 in unnecessary and budgeted travel expenses in just 22 months. Tanzanian biologist Joyce Msuya had been appointed the New Executive Director of UN Environment Programme on 22nd November 2018 after resignation of former Norwegian Environment Minister, Erik Solheim.
- Who was appointed as acting Executive Director of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), on 22ndNovember 2018?
1) Joyce Msuya
2) Paul Erik Hoyer
3) Erik Solheim
4) Soloman Hodge
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Joyce Msuya
On 22nd November, Tanzanian biologist Joyce Msuya has been appointed as acting Executive Director of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) after the resignation of Erik Solheim resigned from the post of Executive director of UNEP following an internal audit report that said he had gobbled up $500,000 in unnecessary and budgeted travel expenses in just 22 months. Joyce Msuya had previously worked with World Bank and she is consistently advocating for conservation of the planet. UNEP is the leading global environment authority that works with wide range of partners including UN entities, international organization, national government and non-governmental organizations to promote sustainable development of global environment.
- Name the person who has been appointed as head of WhatsApp India?
1) Komal Lahiri
2) Abhijit Bose
3) Ruhaan Vyas
4) Areem Sehgal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Abhijit Bose
Facebook-owned Messaging Company WhatsApp has appointed Abhijit Bose, co-founder and CEO of Payment device maker Ezetap as the head of WhatsApp India. Abhijit Bose who has 17 years of experience in product management, product development and product marketing with expertise in software and mobile market will join WhatsApp in early 2019 and he is going to build WhatsApp biggest team outside USA in Gurugram. Indian government is building pressure on WhatsApp to curb spreading of fake news. WhatsApp appointed Komal Lahiri as its first Grievance Officer for India to address the issues.
- Name the Indian men’s hockey team captain who inked a pact with Adidas, on 20th November 2018?
1) Manpreet Singh
2) Kuldeep Yadav
3) Sunil Chetri
4) Sumit Rawat
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Manpreet Singh
On November 20, 2018, Indian men’s hockey team captain Manpreet Singh inked pact with Adidas. This happened ahead of the season-ending World Cup to be played in Bhubaneswar from November 28 to December 16. He was conferred the Arjuna Award earlier in 2018.
- Which software company launched its Neighbourly app in Delhi and Bangalore, to collect local information from the neighbors about their neighbourhood, on November 22, 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Google
On November 22, 2018, Google’s Next Billion Users (NBU) team announced the national roll-out of its Neighbourly app in Delhi and Bangalore. It will help people by sourcing local information from their neighbors about their neighbourhood in an easier way. The full-fledged app offers services in 8 vernacular languages and is a targeted app with a geographic radius between 1 to 5 km. The initial phase was tested in Mumbai, followed by Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Mysuru, Vizag, Kochi and Coimbatore. Henceforth more Indian cities like Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune, and Kolkata would be covered.
- Which Indian institute has developed a smartphone-based system to detect adulteration in milk?
1) Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
2) Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
3) Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore
4) Raman Research Institute
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
On November 20, 2018, researchers, headed by IIT Professor Shiv Govind Singh, at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Hyderabad, developed smartphone-based system to detect adulteration in milk. This could be done by using an indicator paper that changes colour according to acidity which further can be incorporated with algorithms on a smartphone to accurately detect the colour change. The team will extend the research to study the effects of mobile phone cameras and lighting on detection efficiency. The research paper was published in the November 2018 issue of the Food Analytical Methods journal.
- Which country launched its second earth observation satellite named Mohammed VI-B, developed by Thales Alenia Space and Airbus, on 21st November 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Morocco
On 21st November 2018, Arianespace launches Morocco’s second earth observation satellite named Mohammed VI-B, developed by Thales Alenia Space and Airbus from French Guiana. Morocco’s first satellite named Mohammed VI-A was launched on 8thNovember 2017 by Vega rocket from Kourou space center. Mohammed VI-B is the second satellite of Morocco’s ambitious space program- the first in Africa. The satellite is named after Mohammed VI, King of Morocco who launched this ambitious space program in 2013. The satellite will be used for mapping, Agricultural monitoring, land surveying, monitoring changes in the environment and desertification as well as border and coastal surveillance.
- Name the Indian Junior Shuttler, who won the bronze medal in Men’s Single event, at the LI NING BWF World Junior Championship held at Markham, Canada, from 12 to 18 November 2018?
1) Lakshya Sen
2) Poornitha Roy
3) Sathyan G
4) Rajesh Krishna
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Lakshya Sen
From 12 to 18 November 2018, LI NING BWF World Junior Championship was organized at Markham, Canada in which India’s top Junior Shuttler Lakshya Senwon the bronze medal in Men’s Single event. Lakshya Sen lost 22-20, 16-21, 13-21 to Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarnin the semi-final of the men’s single junior championship on 17thNovember 2018. Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn won the Men’s single title by defeating Japanese player Kodai Naraokain the Finals. It is India’s only medal in this year’s championship. Saina Nehwal is the only Indian player who had won Gold at BWF World Junior Championship in the year 2008. DI Zijian and WANG Chang won Men’s double title.
- When was the “Africa Industrialization Day” observed by the United Nations General Assembly?
1) November 23
2) November 22
3) November 20
4) November 21
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) November 20
November 20, 2018 was celebrated as the “Africa Industrialization Day” by the United Nations General Assembly. The Theme for the 2018 edition is: “Promoting Regional Value Chains in Africa: A pathway for accelerating Africa’s structural transformation, industrialization and pharmaceutical production”. It focused on the context of the Africa Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA) and the Third Industrial Development Decade for Africa (IDDA III). It was first established in 1989 by UNGA to raise awareness about the importance of Africa’s industrialization and the challenges faced by the continent. The 2018 Africa Industrialization Day was celebrated at UNIDO’s headquarters in Vienna, with an event organized by UNIDO with the support of the United Nations Office of the Secretary-General, the UN Economic Commission on Africa (UNECA), and the African Union Commission (AUC).
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Kasu Brahmananda Reddy National Park located?Telangana
- Where is the headquarters of United Nations Environment Programme?Nairobi, Kenya
- Name the Chairman and headquarters of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC)?Chairman – V.K. Sharma; Headquarters – Mumbai
- Name the MD and CEO and headquarters of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank?MD & CEO – Samit Ghosh; Headquarters – Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Where is the headquarters of International Organization for Migration?Le Grand-Saconnex, Switzerland