AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 20 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
Click Here to Read Current Affairs May 20 2018
- CSTT has adopted the acronym “AYUSH” as a word, both in the English and Hindi languages, for scientific and technical purposes. Expand CSTT?
1.Commission for Scientific and Technical Terminology
2.Council for Scientific and Technical Terminology
3.Council for Scientific and Technical Terms
4.Commission for Scientific and Technological Terminology
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Commission for Scientific and Technical Terminology
CSTT took this decision based on a proposal of the Ministry of AYUSH. “AYUSH” is an acronym for five traditional systems of medicine — Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy. Following adoption by CSTT, the word “AYUSH” will now refer to traditional and non-conventional systems of healthcare and healing, which includes Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Homeopathy etc.
- On May 19, 2018, the chief minister of which state flagged off the ‘Krishi Mahabhiyan-cum-Beej Vikas Vahan Rath’ to create awareness among farmers about government schemes for them during Kharif season?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Bihar
Mr. Nitish Kumar flagged off two Raths for each district at a function in Patna on the occasion of ‘Kharif Mahabhiyan-cum-Mahotsav 2018’. Of the two raths, one is ‘Kharif Mahabhiyan-cum-Mahotsav Rath’ that would travel to blocks, gram panchayats and villages to tell the farmers about the schemes being run during kharif season. The other Rath is ‘Beej (Seed)Vahan Vikas Rath’ which would have Kharif seeds and pesticides for the treatment of kharif crop.
- Where will “Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA)”, India’s Next Generation Defence Aircraft be built?
1.Chennai, Tamil Nadu
2.Sulur, Tamil Nadu
4.Indore, Madhya Pradesh
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Sulur, Tamil Nadu
The next gen aircraft is called Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA)is for the first time being built by inviting private players . The is also the firsttime that any defence project is being built outside Bangaluru. It will be built in Sulur, Coimbatore district, Tamil Nadu. The private players will be required to manufacture, assemble and equip two fighter aircraft, develop design, manufacture and transport them to the Flight Test Facility.
- On 20th May, which state Government announced that 10% of all police force will be reserved for women?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Tripura
This decision was taken with close observation to Supreme Court’s decision with the Nirbhaya gang rape case of 2012 and will be subjected to increase in future if necessary. In the state at present out of 26,000 police personnel there are 1,200 women. Seven all-women police stations across the state, including two in Agartala has been set up. Apart from this a PRAYAAS committeein every police station consisting of former policemen, veterans and politicians has been formed to deal with policing.
- On 20th May, Government of India’s e-Visa scheme has fetched ____ as revenue?
1.Rs. 1000 crore
2.Rs. 1400 crore
3.Rs. 1200 crore
4.Rs. 4500 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rs. 1400 crore
This scheme was launched in 2014. In 2017 , 19 lakh tourists have availed this facility and 25 lakh more touristsare expected to join in on 2018. This scheme is under the Ministry of Home Affairs and has improved the efficiency and transparency of various services being provided to foreign nationals. This scheme can be used for medical services , business purposes also apart from tourism.
- On 19th May 2018, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat launched the first phase of a massive tree plantation initiative along which river by initiating pit-digging work for the campaign?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rispana River
Trivendra Singh Rawat said that, Mission Rispana to Rishiparna is not a government programme, it is a social initiative. Each individual has to contribute to it. Under the Rishiparna rejuvenation mission, a goal of digging nearly 2.5 lakh pits from Landhaur Shikhar Fall to Motharwala-Daudwala area by the end of June 2018 has been fixed. Over 40 government and non-government organisations, and more than 8,000 volunteers, school students and people participated in the pit-digging event.
- According to AfrAsia Bank Global Wealth Migration Review 2018, which is the sixth wealthiest country in the world?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.India
Top 10 Wealthiest Countries:
Rank Country Total Wealth
1 US $62,584 billion
2 China $24,803 billion
3 Japan $19,522 billion
4 United Kingdom (UK) $9,919 billion
5 Germany $9,660 billion
6 India $8,230 billion
7 Australia $6,142 billion
8 Canada $6,393 billion
9 France $6,649 billion
10 Italy $4,276 billion
- Three Indian Naval Ships Sahyadri, Shakti and Kamorta under the command of Rear Admiral Dinesh Kumar Tripathi shall be making a port call at Tien Sa Port, Danang, in _____ from 21st to 25th May, 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Vietnam
This port call is part of ongoing operational deployment of the Indian Navy’s Eastern Fleet ships to South East Asia and North West Pacific region. Objective of this visit is to enhance maritime cooperation between Indian and Vietnamese Navies, strengthen bonds of friendship between the two countries and contribute to security and stability in the region and the world at large. During the course of this visit, personnel of both the navies will engage in professional interaction. Both the navies would also be undertaking a joint exercise.
- On 20th May, Reserve Bank of India slapped a penalty of ____ on South Indian Bank?
1.Rs. 5 crore
2.Rs. 3 crore
3.Rs. 2 crore
4.Rs. 4 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs. 5 crore
This penalty was levied due to non- compliance of Income Recognition and Asset Classification(IRAC) norms, Know-Your-Customer (KYC) norms and treasury functionand also for deficiencies in its compliance function and compliance culture. This penalty has been imposed in exercise of powers vested in RBI under the provisions of Section 47A(1)(c)with Section 46(4)(i) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- NLC India Limited (formerly Neyveli Lignite Corporation) and which entity may invest over USD 26 million for setting up an research & development (R&D) facility for developing innovative technologies in iron and steel making?
1.NMDC (National Mineral Development Corporation)
2.Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
3.Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
4.Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.NMDC (National Mineral Development Corporation)
NMDC’s and NLC’s investment for this purpose will be through a joint R&D agreement with an Australian company named Environmental Clean Technologies Limited (ECT). ECT is an expert in commercialising leading-edge coal and iron-making technologies. The agreement envisages creation of a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) upon completion of the R&D phase, in which ECT will hold 49 per cent stake while NLC and NMDC will hold 25.5 per cent stake each.
- According to the Customs Brokers Licensing Regulations, 2018, notified by the CBEC, unique identity number Aadhaar and PAN is mandatory for persons seeking a customs broker licence. What does “E” represent in CBEC?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Excise
Customs broker is a person licensed to act as an agent on behalf of importer/exporter for transaction of business relating to entry or departure of conveyances or goods at any customs station. Every year, in April, Directorate General of Performance Management, invites applications for conducting examination and subsequent grant of licence to act as customs broker. This licence is issued with a validity for 10 years. A customs broker is obliged to verify identity of the client and functioning at the declared address by using authentic documents and reliable information.
- Reliance Industries Ltd. (RIL) has received environment clearance for the expansion and optimisation of its petrochemical complex at Nagothane in Raigad district of which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Maharashtra
The expansion and optimisation of this petrochemical complex will be carried out at an estimated cost of Rs 2338 crore. Work to be carried out in this regard is the expansion of gas cracker and downstream plants by way of debottlenecking, expansion and change of fuel in captive power plant (CPP) along with expansion and rebuilding of residential township. It has been specified that no additional land and manpower is required to carry out this expansion and optimisation work.
- On 20th May, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) announced that an LPG bottling plant is being set up in Balkhani, Balangir district in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Odisha
This is the second time BPCL has launched bottling plant in Odisha after the Khurda plant. This project will costRs. 103 crore. The foundation stone will be laid by Petroleum Minister Shri.Dharmendra Pradhan and Union Justice Minister Mr. Thaawarchanad Gehlot on May 21. The LPG will be built across 23 acres of land of Barkhani village , 12 kms from the Balagir railway station.
- Who won the Palm d’OR award in the 71st annual Cannes Film Festival that was held from 8th to 19th May 2018 in Cannes, France?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Hirokazu Kore-eda
Name of award Winner Film Palm d’OR Hirokazu Kore-eda Shoplifters (Japan) Grand Prix Spike Lee BlacKkKlansman (US) Best Director Pawel Pawlikowski Cold War (Poland) Best Screenplay 1. Alice Rohrwacher
2. Jafar Panahi
1. Happy as Lazzaro (italy)
2. 3 Faces (Iran)
Best Actress Samal Yeslyamova Ayka (Kazakhstan) Best Actor Marcello Fonte Dogman (Italy) Jury Prize Nadine Labaki Capernaum (Lebanon) Special Palm d’Or Jean-Luc Godard The Image Book (Frace, Switzerland)
- Who won the Best Actress award in the 71st annual Cannes Film Festival that was held from 8th to 19th May 2018 in Cannes, France?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Samal Yeslyamova
- On 20th May, which tennis player won the prestigious T.K. Ramanathan award for the year 2017-2018 at the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association (TNTA) annual day function at the SDAT tennis stadium?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Prajnesh Gunneswaran
He received a cash prize of Rs. 30,000. Cash prizes were given to the winners and the runners-up of the Chennai City inter-club tennis leagues — the Sanmar-TNTA league, the Sanmar-TNTA 45+ and 60+ Veterans’ league, and the UCAL-TNTA mixed doubles championship. Representing India in the Davis Cup: V.M. Sandeep (Rs. 5000), Ramkumar Ramanathan (Rs. 7,500), N. Sriram Balaji (Rs. 7,500) and Prajnesh Gunneswaran (Rs. 7,500).
- Name the person who was appointed as the chairman-cum-managing director (CMD) of Coal India Limited (CIL), on 18th May 2018?
3.Anil Kumar Jha
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Anil Kumar Jha
Anil Kumar Jha is currently the CMD of Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd. He has been appointed as the chairman-cum-managing director (CMD) of Coal India Limited till his superannuation on 31st January 2020. The order regarding his appointment was made by the Personnel Ministry. CIL is a state-owned coal mining company.
- On 19th May 2018, ____ resigned, 55 hours after taking oath as the Karnataka Chief Minister?
2.B S Yeddyurappa
3.H D Kumaraswamy
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.B S Yeddyurappa
In the Karnataka state assembly elections held on 12th May 2018, BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) had won 104 seats and emerged as the single largest party. Congress had won 78 seats and formed a post-poll alliance with the JDS (Janata Dal (Secular)) and claimed to form government in Karnataka. But Karnataka governor Vajubhai Vala let BJP, which emerged as the single largest party, to form government and BS Yeddyurappa was sworn in as Karnataka Chief Minister on 17th May 2018.
- On 19th May 2018, the Haryana government said that, ____ , the principal secretary of Sainik and Ardh Sainik Welfare Department, was allotted the additional charge of Haryana Staff Selection Commission (HSSC) chairperson?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Deepti Umashankar
This has been done after HSSC chairperson B B Bharti was suspended on 17th May 2018. B B Bharti was suspended after an incident where aspiring junior engineers were questioned which one of the following is not a bad omen in Haryana, with options as: seeing an empty pot, a casket, a black Brahmin, a Brahmin girl.
- New York Police Department (NYPD) has inducted ____ as its first female turbaned Sikh auxiliary police officer?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Gursoach Kaur
Gursoach Kaur’s induction is expected to motivate others to join law enforcement and to create better understanding of Sikhism. Gursoach Kaur will join the New York Police Department as an Auxiliary Police Officer (APO). She graduated from the New York City Police Academy recently. New York Police Department (NYPD) is United States’ first organisation to represent Sikh Officers in Law Enforcement.
- On 20th May , which firm acquired Bhushan Steel for an amount of Rs.35000 crore and settling two-thirds of the loan of the company?
1.Reliance Industries Limited
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Tata Steel
Tata steel also appointed three members to the board of Bhushan Steel namely Rajeev Singhal, Dibyendu Dutta, Anand Sen. Bhushan Steel owes Rs. 56,079crto the banks among which the shares are: State Bank of India( Rs. 12872 cr) , Punjab National Bank ( Rs. 4904 cr) and ICICI bank (Rs. 2449 cr). Bamnipal Steel, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Steel, will get a 72.65% stake in Bhushan Steel, while lenders will own 12.27% in it and the balance will be held by existing shareholders.
- Scientists have created the world’s smallest house that has been built on an area of ____ square micrometres, using a robotic system?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.300
The robotic system can exactly assemble nanomaterials into tiny, desirable structures. The microhouse construction has been described in the Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A. Researchers from the Femto-ST Institute in France, assembled the new microrobotics through several existing technologies. The micro-Robotex nanofactory creates microstructures in a large vacuum chamber and fixes components on optical fibre tips with nanometre accuracy.
- On 17th May 2018, the India Meteorological Department issued an advisory on cyclonic storm ____ to Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra and the Lakshadweep archipelago?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Sagar
“Sagar” is centered over the Gulf of Aden, nearly 390 km east-northeast of Yemen’s Aden city and 560 km west-northwest of Socotra Islands. It is expected to get intense in the next 12 hours and to move west-southwestwards later. Fishermen have been advised not to enter Gulf of Aden and nearby areas of west central and southwest Arabian Sea in the next 48 hours.
- A new study has stated that, emissions of a banned chemical most responsible for the giant ____ ozone hole are on the rise?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Antarctic
The study says that an international treaty on ending its production in 2010 is being violated. The study has been published in the journal Nature. Trichlorofluoromethane, or CFC-11, is the second-most abundant ozone-depleting gas in the atmosphere. It belongs to the family of chemicals most responsible for the giant hole in the ozone layer that forms over Antarctica in September every year. CFC-11 was earlier used as a foaming agent. Its production was phased out by the Montreal Protocol in 2010.
- Name the Chinese archaeologist who worked in discoveries of ancient Terracotta Warriors and died on 16th May 2018?
2.Rio Chao Ann
4.Si Chao Min
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Zhao Kangmin
Zhao Kangmin was 82 years old. He was the first archaeologist to identify fragments of terracotta in 1974 as remains dating back to the Qin dynasty. He was also the first to excavate the site. China’s State Council recognised Zhao Kangmin as the discoverer of the terracotta soldiers, archers, and charioteers.
- Who has become the first person to be put on the ‘National No Fly List’ according to Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA)?
2.Birju Kishore Salla
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Birju Kishore Salla
A senior official of Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has confirmed that a Mumbai-based jeweller, Birju Kishore Salla, who created a hijack scare onboard a Jet Airways flight last year, has become the first person to be put on the ‘National No Fly List.’
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the director general of India Meteorological Department headquartered in New Delhi?Dr K J Ramesh
- What is the tag line of South Indian Bank?Experience Next Generation Banking
- Where is Govind Pashu Vihar National Park and Sanctuary located?Uttarakhand
- Which state houses the Tau Devi Lal Stadium?Haryana
- Name the President of Vietnam?Tran Dai Quang
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification