AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 19 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
Click Here to Read Current Affairs May 19 2018
- On 19th May, Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Jammu and Kashmir and marked the commencement of the all weather connectivity tunnel between Srinagar, kargil and Leh called ____ tunnel?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Zojila Tunnel
He attended the closing ceremony of the birth anniversary of 19thKushok Bakula Rinpoche in Leh and marked the commencement of the all weather connectivity tunnel between Srinagar, kargil and Leh called Zojila Tunnel. For the construction, operation and maintenance of this tunnel between Baltaland Minamarg, on the Srinagar-Leh section of NH-1A, a total cost of Rs 6800 crore was allotted. This will cut the journey time from the present three and a half hours, to just fifteen minutes.
- Where was the Venture Capital Symposium 2018 organised by NITI Aayog held on 18th to 20th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.New Delhi
Venture Capital Symposium 2018 is organized by NITI Aayog. Vision India Foundation is the Knowledge Partner for the event. It aims to enhance the economic relationships between France and India and to support the Start-up India programme. During the symposium, French investors interact with 100 early to mid-stage Indian start-ups. The Symposium is attended by Alexandre Ziegler, Ambassador of France to India and Shri Yves Jego, Vice-President of French Parliament etc.
- On 17th May 2018, Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister for Shipping, Road Transport & Highways and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, India, met ____ , Coordinating Minister of Maritime Affairs of Indonesia, in New Delhi?
1.General (Retd.) Luhut Binser Pandjaitan
2.General (Retd.) Binsar Michal Veran
4.Anjan Ramee Sihovan
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.General (Retd.) Luhut Binser Pandjaitan
The meeting was aimed to enhance bilateral relations between India & Republic of Indonesia. Bilateral cooperation in the maritime sector between India & Republic of Indonesia was discussed. River rejuvenation, wastewater treatment, generating revenue streams from waste, enhancing shipping linkages between the two countries, developing ports and airports, training on light house technology and development of navigational aids were discussed. Development of a cruise tourism circuit between Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Indonesia was discussed.
- Where was the Workshop on challenges and opportunities of arbitration in SAARC region held on 19th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.New Delhi
Workshop on Challenges and Opportunities of Arbitration in SAARC region was conducted in collaboration with FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry), ICA (Indian Council of Arbitration) and SAARC Arbitration Council. The workshop aims to focus on the role SARCO (SAARC Arbitration Council) in the SAARC region. Discussions on judicial role in the arbitration of the SAARC region was the main focus.
- On 19th May 2018, ____, the societal movement initiated by Environment, Forest & Climate Change Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan to safeguard environment and promote good living received acceptance from the global community?
1.Green Good Deeds
2.Tiny Good Deeds
3.Small Good Deeds
4.Good Deeds for the Society
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Green Good Deeds
At the ongoing 4th BRICS Environment Ministerial in Durban, South Africa, Dr Harsh Vardan insisted the BRICS nations help in development of a social movement to safeguard the environment. The BRICS Ministerial on Environment agreed to include “Green Good Deeds” in its official agenda in the next Ministerial in Brazil and another meeting in Russia. The Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change has created a list of more than 500 Green Good Deeds. These small deeds to be performed by individuals or organisations to participate in environmental protection has been put up in a mobile application named “Dr Harsh Vardhan App”. Dr Harsh Vardhan had launched the campaign in January 2018.
- Where was children’s theatre and personality development workshop organized by Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) along with Udaan – the Centre of Theatre Art and Child Development held on 21st May to 21st June 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.North Delhi
The children’s theatre and personality development workshop is organized by Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) along with Udaan – the Centre of Theatre Art and Child Development. In this workshop, children will be trained on fundamental skills and theatrical skills. This workshop will be held at Mother Divine Public School and Mount Abu Public School of Rohini in North Delhi. Children aged between 6yrs – 14yrs can take part in this workshop. Two plays will be put up at the end of the worshop with participation from all the trained children. Children will be offered certificate at the end of the workshop.
- On 19th May, The Northeast Frontier Railway flagged off its first Parcel Cargo Express Train (PCET) that will be connecting the northeast to the ____?
4.south east coast
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.west coast
The route of this Parcel Cargo Express Train lease is :New Guwahati in Assam to Kalyan in Maharashtra with stoppages at New Jalpaiguri, Kalumna Goods Shed. This would enable the farmers to market their products like tea, jute, betal nuts, pineapple, horticulture productsetc in the Mumbai , Bangalore, Punemarkets. This would also give job opportunities to the local youth including unskilled workers. A single PCET can carry an equivalent of52 no of trucks which will aid in less carbon emission as per Sustainable goals .
- On 19th May, state-run Tripura Horticulture Corporation Limited (THCL) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Spicejet Merchandise Pvt Ltd to boost ___ export?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.pineapple
The’Queen’ variety of pineapples is considered as the pride of Tripura and approximately, more than 1 lakh metric of ‘Queen’ and ‘Kue’ pineapple is produced in Tripura annually. This MOU was done to export the fruit not only to the rest of the country but also to the middle-east. Pineapple is one of the major fruit crops in terms of area and as per the statistics, the productivity of pineapple per hectare is 18.73 tonnes, which is higher than the national average of 15.80 tonnes. To avoid farmers to switch to rubber production from pineapple due to low profits.
- On 18th May 2018, Russian President Vladimir Putin reshuffled his Cabinet, he has made ____ as agriculture minister?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Dmitry Patrushev
He replaced some longtime members, yet maintained the important figures. Important Cabinet figures like Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and Finance Minister Anton Siluanov are unchanged. Also, Anton Siluanov was promoted to the post of first deputy prime minister. Economics Minister Maxim Oreshkin, Industry and Trade Minister Denis Manturov and Energy Minister Alexander Novak have also retained their positions.
- On 19th May, which country unveiled the world’s first floating nuclear power station named Akademik Lomonosov?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Russia
This is called Akademik Lomonosovwas built by Rosatom in Saint Petersburg. It is a 144 by 30 metre (472 by 98 foot) ship holds two reactors with two 35 megawatt nuclear reactors . It is a 21,000-tonne barge that will produce enough electricity to power a town of 200,000 residents, far more than the 5,000 live in Pevek, Russia. The floating reactors can save 50,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions per year.
- On 16th to 18th May 2018, India’s Minister of State for Defence ____ was on a three-day official visit to Republic of Nauru?
2.Dr. Subhash Bhamre
3.Subhash Chandra Garg
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Dr. Subhash Bhamre
Subhash Bhamre participated in the 50th anniversary celebrations of Nauru’s Constitution Day on 17th May 2018 as the Chief Guest. This is his first visit to Nauru. He had a meeting with Nauru President Mr Baron Divavesi Waqa. Discussions were held on bilateral relationship and projects related to Climate Change, Renewable Energy, Health, Education, Capacity Building, Infrastructure etc. Subhash Bhamre presented a copy of the Indian Constitution to President Mr Baron Divavesi Waqa along with compliments of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- On 18th May 2018, the World Health Organization (WHO) held an emergency meeting to discuss on the outbreak of which disease in Congo?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Ebola
WHO has declared the risk to the public in Congo “very high” and the regional risk “high.” It has said that, no international travel restrictions have been placed. This outbreak tests the new experimental Ebola vaccine. Over 4,000 doses of vaccine have arrived in Congo. Only one Ebola death has been confirmed so far. On 17th May 2018, Congo’s health ministry said that, the total number of Ebola cases is 45 so far.
- On 18th May, Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu launched LED Solar Street Lighting System in 4 Districts. This scheme was launched with the help of which bank?
1.State Bank of India (SBI)
2.National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh launches the Scheme by dint of National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD),which Sanctioned the Scheme Under its Rural Infrastructure Development Fund. The NABARD has given a total amount of Rs 87.83 lakh for implementing LED Solar Street lighting System in the State. The C.M. Pema Khandu Launched the Scheme in four districts of Arunachal Pradesh namely, Tirap, Longding, Namsai and Tawang in the presence of NABARD Chairman Harsh Kumar Bhanwala.
- Name the NRI industrialist ____ who was presented a lifetime achievement award for his contributions in promoting brand India in the UK, at a UK & Asia Business awards ceremony in London, on 17th May 2018?
1.Lord Amit Ghosh
2.Lord Swraj Paul
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Lord Swraj Paul
Swraj Paul is the founder of Caparo Group of industries. The Awards ceremony was organised by World Consulting and Research Corporation (WCRC). Swraj Paul was presented the award by the Deputy High Commissioner of India to the UK, Dinesh K Patnaik. Dinesh K Patnaik was also honoured as an “iconic leader”. Business Leader of the Decade honour was presented to Indian-origin, Lord Karan Bilimoria, who is the founder of Cobra Beer.
- Who was named Bengaluru FC’s top scorer for the fifth consecutive season, at the Bengaluru FC (Football Club)’s Awards night that was held in Bengaluru, on 17th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Sunil Chhetri
List of awardees is as follows:
• Top scorer: Sunil Chhetri
• Players’ Player of the year: Sunil Chhetri
• Fans’ Player of the Year: Gurpreet Singh Sandhu
• Goal of the Season: Miku
• Upcoming Player of the Year: Asheer Akhtar
• U-18 Player of the Year: Biswa Darjee
• U-15 Player of the Year: Bekey Oram
- On 19th May, which Union Minister received an award for ‘Digital Leader of the Year’ at the Businessworld Digital India Summit Award 2018 held in New Delhi?
4.Narendra Singh Tomar
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Nara Lokesh
This award was given during the Businessworld Digital India Summit Award 2018 held in New Delhi. This award was announced for the best utilization of technology governance and Nara Lokesh got it for development of the rural sector and water supply departments. The state Panchayat Raj and Rural Water Supply Department officials have won another award for the ultramodern tracking system for water supply program.
- On 19th May, who was presented with the UK & Asia Inspirational Business Leaders Award in London, UK at the Assembly Hall, Westminster?
1.Dr. Guru Prasad Mohapatra
2.Dr. Guru N Reddy
3.Dr. Manmohan Malvia
4.Dr. Deepak Singhania
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Dr. Guru N Reddy
The citation reads -“Boldly envisioning, realization and substantiation of aspirations to create the future and transform the world”.Dr. Reddy was chosen among 200leaders by distinguished jury of ibrands 360 and the editorial team of Leaders Asia Magazine. He has received several awards these past five years including two “Lifetime Achievement Awards” in healthcare. He will be featured in WCRC Leaders Magazinein June 2018 issue.
- Name the person who was appointed secretary to the information and broadcasting ministry, on 18th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Amit Khare
Amit Khare is a 1985-batch IAS officer. Currently, he is serving in Jharkhand, his cadre state. He will take charge as secretary to the information and broadcasting ministry from incumbent N K Sinha, who will superannuate on 31st May 2018.
- Who is likely to become the chief of Press Council of India for the second time?
1.Justice P K Malhotra
2.Justice C K Prasad
3.Justice Raghu Ramanathan
4.Justice Deepa Puneet
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Justice C K Prasad
A committee of three members headed by Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu has given their approval for his appointment for a second term. He has been the chief of PCI for three yearsfrom November 2014. He has earlier replaced Justice Markaday Katju.
- On 19th May, Non-executive Chairman Of TATA Sons ____ was appointed as an independent director to the firm?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Harish Manwani
He was earlier the Global Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Unileverand also the Global Executive Advisor of BlackStone Private Equity. He also serves on the board of Qualcomm, Gilead Sciences, Nielsen Holdings, Whirlpool, Economic Development Board (EDB) of Singapore and is theChairman of the Executive Board of the Indian School of Business.
- On 18th May, the President of the United States Mr. Donald Trump nominated ____ to be South Korean ambassador?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Harry Harris
Harry Harris has been working as a Naval officer and was earlier selected as ambassador of Australia and later Seoul. He is the first Asian-Americanto achive a rank of admiral in US Navy.
- On 19th May, who was named Hockey India’s president?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rajinder Singh
On 19th May, Rajinder Singh was named Hockey India’s president. Prior to this he was the Senior Vice President of Hockey India. He will replace Mariamma Koshywho resigned recently. He was earlier the Treasurer of HIand currently serves as the Treasurer of Hockey Jammu & Kashmir.
- On 19th May, OneSpace, a space startup based in which country launched its OS-X rocket?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.China
On 19th May, a Chinese based space startup named OneSpace launched its OS-X rocket. This was a 30 feetlong satellite named “Chongqing Liangjiang star” was launched from an undisclosed location form north western part of China. It is the first private Chinese farm to launch a commercial rocket. The company further plans to launch another series called M-seriesof micro satellites that are cheaper to build.
- On 19th May, National Aeronautics Space Association (NASA) spotted a Pac-Man shaped crater on which planet?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Mars
NASA and Hirise team of University of Arizona spotted this unusually shaped crater on Mars Using Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO). The image shows the impact crater with a crescent-shapedbarchan sand dune inside.
- Who has retained top spot in Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) ranking, on 19th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Simona Halep
The WTA top 5 ranking are as follows:
1. Simona Halep
2. Caroline Wozniacki
3. Garbine Muguruza
4. Elina Svitolina
5. Karolína Pliskova
- Mr. Raghubir Singh who passed away on 19th May 2018, at Noida, was a ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Freedom Fighter
On 19th May, The lone freedom fighter of Muzaffarnagar district Mr. Raghubir Singh passed away at the age of 95 at Noida. He was a part of Subhas Chandra Bose’ Azad Hind Fauj. He died due to brief illness.
- Name the Chief Secretary Who got Approval from Centre for Extension of service for another one year after accepting the request from its Chief Minister?
1. B B Vyas.
2. Girija Vaidyanathan.
3. Dinesh Kumar.
4. Ajay Singh.
5. Pankaj Kumar.Answer – 1. B B Vyas.
The Centre has Approved B.B.Vyas the Chief Secretary of Jammu and Kashmir,Service period for another 1 year from June 1, 2018 to May 31, 2019,after accepting the request from its state’s Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti.
- Who has been honoured by Tomasz Kozlowski, the European Union Ambassador to India for being ‘bridge builder between India and Europe’?
1. Priyanka Chopra.
2. Salman Khan.
3. Sharukh Khan.
4. Amitabh Bachchan.
5. Aamir Khan.Answer – 4. Amitabh Bachchan.
Megastar Amitabh Bachchan has been feted by Tomasz Kozlowski, the European Union Ambassador to India, for being a bridge builder between India and Europe.
- Name the Air Commodore who has been assumed as the command of Air Force Administrative College (AFAC)?
1. V P S Rana
3. S R Menon
4. Arup Raha
5. Arjan Singh.Answer – 3. S R Menon
Air Commodore S R Menon took charge as the Command of Air Force Administrative College(AFAC).He Succeeds V.P.S.Rana.V.P.S Rana has been posted to the headquarters Training Command in Bengaluru
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Which state houses the Hazaribag Wildlife Sanctuary?Jharkhand
- Name the director general and headquarters of World Health Organization (WHO)?Director-General – Tedros Adhanom; Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
- Who is the secretary general of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) headquartered in Kathmandu, Nepal?Amjad B. Hussain
- Who is the President of Indonesia?Joko Widodo
- Where is Konark Sun Temple located?Konark, Odisha
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification