AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz May 17 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC,CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams.We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the proposal to establish Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) in which state with 100% outlay of central government?
Answer – 2.Assam
IARI-Assam would be a Post-Graduate Institute of higher learning in agricultural education covering all sectors of agriculture. The institute will work on the agrarian challenges and complexities of North Eastern India.
- Chief Minister of which state has announced that his government intends to appoint PV Sindhu as the state’s sports ambassador?
Answer – 3.Andhra Pradesh
The Andhra Pradesh Legislature has passed a Bill to appoint Olympics silver medal-winning shuttler PV Sindhu as a Group-1 officer in the government, by amending the state public services Act. Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu announced in the state Assembly that his government intended to appoint Sindhu as the state’s sports ambassador.
- India’s first Aquatic Rainbow Technology Park, an ultra modern exclusive facility for ornamental fish equipped with multi-species hatchery and live feed culture units will come up at:
Answer – 3.Chennai
The Rs 10 crore facility, being funded by the Tamil Nadu Innovation Initiatives of the state government, would be equipped with advanced infrastructure and technical expertise for boosting production of high value ornamental fish species.
- Who among the following launched EPFOs Citizens Charter 2017 and e-court management system in Bangalore on May 16, 2017?
1.President Pranab Mukherjee
2.Vice President Hamid Ansari
3.Prime Minister Narendra Modi
4.Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar
5.Minister of State for Labour & Employment(IC), Bandaru Dattatreya
Answer – 5.Minister of State for Labour & Employment(IC), Bandaru Dattatreya
Citizens Charter 2017 is an attempt to bring transparency and accountability on the part of EPFO and make service delivery system and grievance redressal mechanism more efficient so that it delivers goods and services to its all stakeholders in a time bound manner. Objective of e-court management system is to provide a transparent and electronic case management system which will cater to aspirations of all stakeholders, the employers, the employees and litigants.
- Who among the following has topped Forbes Magazine’s list of “Global Game Changers”?
Answer – 2.Mukesh Ambani
Forbes magazine has named Reliance Industries (RIL) Chairman Mukesh Ambani as the topmost among its “Global Game Changers” who are transforming their industries and changing the lives of billions around the world.
- Who among the following Indian mountaineers recently scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman to scale Mount Everest for the fourth time?
Answer – 3.Anshu Jamsenpa
Jamsenpa, who is a mother of two, started her expedition on May 13, 2017 and reached the highest peak of the world on May 16, 2017 to unfurl the national flag. Besides Jamsenpa, 17 other climbers also made it to the top of Mt Everest on May 17, 2017.
- Union Cabinet has approved Agreement between India and _______ on Cooperation and Mutual Assistance in Customs Matters
Answer – 4.Tajikistan
This agreement will provide a legal framework for sharing of information and intelligence between the Customs authorities of India and Tajikistan on proper application of Customs laws, prevention and investigation of Customs offences, facilitation of legitimate trade.
- On May 16, 2017, Mt. Lhotse recorded the first summit in three years. Mt. Lhotse is the ________ highest mountain in the world.
Answer – 3.fourth highest
Indian climber Debasish Biswas and a woman climber from New Zealand were the first to successfully climb Mt Lhotse. Mt Lhotse is the fourth highest mountain in the world after Mt Everest, K2 and Kangchenjunga.
- As per United Nations’ “World Economic Situation and Prospects as of mid- 2017” report, India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth forecast for FY 2017 has been revised downwards to _______%
Answer – 2.7.3%
India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth forecast for FY 2017 has been revised downwards to 7.3% as compared to 7.7% projection made in January 2017. However, GDP growth forecast for FY 2018 has been revised upwards to 7.9% as compared to 7.6% projection made in January 2017.
- In a first of its kind transaction in India,__________enabled end to end trade financing for one of its clients by applying the blockchain technology
3.Kotak Mahindra Bank
Answer – 3.Kotak Mahindra Bank
By utilising the blockchain technology, time for processing the letter of credit (LC) reduced from 20-30 days to few hours. For this transaction Kotak Mahindra Bank had partnered with Deloitte. JP Morgan – Singapore was the partner bank.
- Who among the following has been appointed as group CEO of Dish TV?
Answer – 4.Anil Dua
Dua, an alumnus of IIT-Delhi and IIM-Ahmedabad, has worked in several companies including Unilever, Gillette and Hero MotoCorp. Dish TV India and Videocon d2h Ltd had filed a scheme of arrangement for amalgamation of Vd2h into Dish TV.
- On May 16, 2017, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Venkaiah Naidu announced a round-the-clock Doordarshan channel for:
5.Diu and Daman
Answer – 3.Jharkhand
Announcement for a separate 24×7 channel was made following a request from Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das. Special slots will be kept for Jharkhand through ‘Doordarshan Bihar’ till a full-fledged channel is launched.
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST) located in _______ district of West Bengal has successfully created the country’s first smart grid project, which will generate power from renewable sources of energy.
Answer – 2.Howrah
The smart grid will be synchronised to generate power from solar, wind and vegetable waste resources, depending on the weather conditions and availability of waste products. It is the first of its kind in India.
- Maternity Benefit Program has been extended to all districts of India with effect from:
1.January 1, 2017
2.February 1, 2017
3.March 1, 2017
4.April 1, 2017
5.May 1, 2017
Answer – 1.January 1, 2017
Union Cabinet has given ex-post facto approval to Pan-India implementation of Maternity Benefit Program with effect from January 1, 2017. Under Maternity benefit program, all eligible Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM), excluding central, state and PSU employees, are given cash incentive as partial compensation for the wage loss so that the woman can take adequate rest before and after delivery of the first living child.
- Which portal has been launched by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to tighten grip on tax evaders?
Answer – 1.www.cleanmoney.gov.in
This portal aims is to tab dishonest citizens hiding their income to the authorities and Government. It provides comprehensive information at one place and enables transparent tax administration by sharing status reports.
- 18-year-old boy from Tamil Nadu has created the world’s smallest satellite named ‘KalamSat’ which weighs only _______ gm
Answer – 5.64 gm
Developed by Rifath Sharook, an 18-year-old boy, from Tamil Nadu’s Pallapatti town, ‘KalamSat’ weighs only 64 grammes. ‘KalamSat’, named after India’s nuclear scientist and former President, APJ Abdul Kalam, will be launched from a NASA facility in Wallops Island.
- _____________Island has been found to be the most polluted place on the planet, with over 37 million pieces littered on its beaches.
4.Fatu Hiva Island
Answer – 2.Henderson Island
Henderson Island is a World Heritage-listed island and is a part of the UK’s Pitcairn Islands territory. There were 671.6 items of debris per square metre on Henderson Island, which lies between Chile and New Zealand in the South Pacific, with 3,570 new pieces of litter washing up on just one of the island’s beaches every day.
- Who among the following broke the national record in men’s 400m race and won a gold medal at the third leg of the Indian Grand Prix Athletics Meet in New Delhi?
Answer – 3.Mohammad Anas
Kerala quarter-miler Mohammad Anas smashed the national record in men’s 400m race en route to winning a gold medal at the third leg of the Indian Grand Prix Athletics Meet in New Delhi. The 22-year-old Anas clocked 45.32 secs under hot and humid conditions at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has hiked the prize money for this year’s Champions Trophy by $ 500,000. The total prize money now stands at:
Answer – 3.$4.5 million
ICC has announced that the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy in England and Wales from 1-18 June carries total prize money of $ 4.5 million with the winner of the eight-team tournament taking home a cheque of $ 2.2 million.
- What was the theme for ‘World Telecommunication and Information Society Day’, 2017, celebrated on May 17, 2017?
1.”Big Data for Big Impact”
2.“ICT entrepreneurship for social impact”
3.“Telecommunications and ICTs: Drivers of innovation”
4.“Telecommunications and ICT for Inclusive Growth”
5.“Broadband for Sustainable Development”
Answer – 1.“Big Data for Big Impact”
The purpose of World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD) is to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies, as well as of ways to bridge the digital divide.
Thanks for choosing AffairsCloud. If you like our services, kindly suggest our site AffairsCloud.com to all your aspirant friends.