AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 16 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On 15th May 2018, where did President of India , Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurate the 4th Global Exhibition on Services 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Mumbai
On 15th May, The President of India , Shri Ram Nath Kovind , inaugurated the 4th Global Exhibition on Services 2018 in Mumbai , Maharashtra. This exhibition was attended by 625 exhibitors, 500 international delegates from about 100 countries and 25 Indian states. He lauded the Ministry of Commerce and Industry of the Government of India, as well as the Government of Maharashtra, the Confederation of Indian Industry and the Services Export Promotion Council, for their participation in this initiative.
- On May 16, 2018, Union Cabinet Chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi apprised of MoU between India and France on Technical Cooperation in the field of ___?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Railways
Union Cabinet has been apprised of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Indian Railways and SNCF Mobilites (a company owned by the French State) on Technical Cooperation in the field of Railways. exchange of technical experts, training and seminars/workshops focusing on specific technology areas, reports and technical documents and other interactions for knowledge sharing. Identified areas of cooperation under this MoU are High speed and semi-high speed rail, Station renovation and operations, Modernisation of current operations and infrastructure and suburban trains.
- On May 16, 2018, Union Cabinet Chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved MoU between India and which country in the legal field and Mining and Geology?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Morocco
This MoU will enable India and Morocco to share their experience and expertise in the field of law and legislation. Under this MoU, Lawyers, Law Officers and law students in India and Morocco will get an opportunity to discuss issues in the field of law and justice through seminars, symposiums and workshops.
- On May 16, 2018, Union Cabinet Chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved MoU between India and Swaziland on cooperation in the field of ____?
2.Fisheries and Agriculture
3.Health and Medicine
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Health and Medicine
Union Cabinet has given its ex-post-facto approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the India and Swaziland on cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine. This MoU was signed on April 9, 2018. Areas of cooperation covered under this MOU: Drugs & Pharmaceutical products, Medical Consumable products, Medical Research, Medical Equipment, Public Health, Communicable Disease Control & Surveillance and Health Tourism. A working group will be constituted to oversee the activities carried out under the scope of this MoU.
- On May 16, 2018, Union Cabinet Chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved MoU between India and which country for cooperation in the field of electoral management and administration?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Suriname
The MoU envisages exchange of knowledge and experience in the field of organizational and technical development of electoral process; institutional strengthening and capacity building, support in exchanging information, training of personnel and holding regular consultations etc. The MoU is expected to promote bilateral cooperation between both the countries aimed at building technical assistance/capacity support for Suriname.
- On 16th May 2018, Cabinet approved development of Trunk Infrastructure Components for Integrated Multi Modal Logistics Hub known as “Freight Village” at Nangal Chaudhary in _____ under Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor Project?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Haryana
Development of Freight Village, an Integrated Multi Modal Logistics Hub (IMLH), Nangal Chaudhary, Haryana on 886.78 acres of land to be implemented by the project Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) in two phases. Financial sanction of Rs. 1029.49 crore for development of Phase I and in principle approval for development of Phase II of the project. Expenditure on Phase I comprises cost of entire land at Rs. 266 crore including cost of the land to be used for development of Phase II. Investment of Rs. 763.49 crore by National Industrial Corridor Development and Implementation Trust (NICDIT) which includes of Rs. 266 crore as equity and Rs. 497.49 crore as debt in the SPV. Bidding for trunk infrastructure development by SPV on EPC basis.
- On 16th May 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved setting up of a new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Deoghar, ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Jharkhand
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved setting up of a new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Deoghar, Jharkhand. With an allotment of Rs.1103 cr the AIIMS will be setup under Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY). This would benefit both the people of the region for better medical and health services as per National Health Mission and also create employment for the doctors and medical workers of the region.
- On 16th May 2018, the Union Cabinet Chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the establishment of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR) at which city of Madhya Pradesh?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Bhopal
The Union Cabinet Chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the establishment of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR) at Bhopal ,Madhya Pradesh .It will be a society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities. The cost of the project is Rs. 179.54 cr for the first 3 years which includes non-recurring expenditure of Rs. 128.54 crore and recurring expenditure of Rs. 51 crore. NIMHR will be the first of its kind in the country in the area of mental health rehabilitation. The main objectives of the NIMHR are to provide rehabilitation services to the persons with mental illness, capacity development in the area of mental health rehabilitation, policy framing and advanced research in mental health rehabilitation. The Institute will have nine Departments/Centres and will conduct 12 courses to offer diploma, certificate, graduate, post graduate, M.Phil degrees in the area of mental health rehabilitation. Within a span of 5 years, the student intake of the institute in various courses is expected to be over 400.
- On May 16, 2018, Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) organised a conference on successful completion of two years of the National Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy adopted by the Government of India in ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.New Delhi
Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Suresh Prabhu, launched the IP Mascot at the event. In a bid to involve eminent personalities as ambassadors to spread awareness and importance of IP in India, an anti-piracy video featuring Mr. Amitabh Bachchan was also launched at the event. Focused sessions on women in innovation and creativity, commercialization and enforcement of IPRs were also held during the course of this conference.
- Where will the first ever International Rail Coach Expo (IRCE) focusing on Rail Coaches and train sets will be held from 17th to 19th May, 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Chennai
Objective of the expo is to bring reputed rail car, equipment builders and suppliers under one roof and create synergy for “Make in India”. The Expo will be hosted by Integral Coach Factory, in coordination with CII (Confederation of Indian Industries) and RITES Ltd. 100+ exhibitors from 10+ countries will participate in this expo. Conferences/seminars on specialized subjects on Rail Coach and Train sets will also be conducted during the course of this expo.
- On May 16, 2018, Uttarakhand Chief Minister ____ inaugurated the state’s first City Gas Distribution (CGD) network at Rudrapur in Udham Singh Nagar district?
1.K K Paul
2.Trivendra Singh Rawat
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Trivendra Singh Rawat
The network comprises 500 km long pipeline and ten CNG stations, one each in Jaspur, Bazpur, Khatima and Kiccha, two in Kashipur and three in Rudrapur. Estimated cost for laying this pipeline is Rs 250 crore. The work will be completed by 2020 and would provide employment to 2,000 people. Uttarakhand’s first CGD network will be India’s eighth CGD system.
- On 16th May 2018, the ____ Advance Estimates of production of major crops for 2017-18 was released by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.3rd
The assessment of production of various crops is based on the feedback received from States and validated with information from other sources. According to the 3rd Advance Estimates, the estimated production of major crops during 2017-18 is as follows:
• Foodgrains – 279.51 million tonnes (record)
• Rice – 111.52 million tonnes (record)
• Wheat – 98.61 million tonnes (record)
• Nutri/Coarse Cereals – 44.87 million tonnes (record)
• Maize – 26.88 million tonnes (record)
• Pulses – 24.51 million tonnes (record)
• Gram – 11.16 million tonnes (record)
• Tur – 4.18 million tonnes
• Urad – 3.28 million tonnes (record)
• Oilseeds – 30.64 million tonnes
• Soyabean – 10.93 million tonnes
• Groundnut – 8.94 million tonnes
• Rapeseed & Mustard – 8.04 million tonnes
• Castorseed – 1.49 million tonnes
• Cotton – 34.86 million bales (of 170 kg each)
• Sugarcane – 355.10 million tonnes
- Where is India’s first railway station run by solar power located?
1.Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Guwahati, Assam
The project of installing solar panels was commissioned in April 2017. Nearly 2352 solar modules with a capacity of 700 kwp has been set up over the roof of the Guwahati railway station. The solar-powered station aims to reduce carbon-footprint and also to reduce power costs. Nearly, 6.3 lakh kg carbon dioxide emissions have been reduced from 12th April 2017 to 10th May 2018. The estimated project cost is Rs 6.7 crore. The solar power plant will save Rs 67 lakh worth of electricity.
- An Inter-Ministerial Task Force (IMTF) was formed to perform a comprehensive review of existing ____ sources of Independent Power Producers (IPPs) having linkages and consider the feasibility for rationalization of these sources to optimize transportation cost, keeping in mind the technical constraints?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Coal
The recommendation of the IMTF has been approved by the Competent Authority. In Coal linkage rationalization, the coal linkage of a Thermal Power Plant (TPP) of an Independent Power Producer (IPP) may be transferred from one Coal Company to another based on the availability during the fiscal and future coal production plan of the coal company. The objective of this exercise is to reduce the landed cost of coal due to reduction in transportation cost. The savings obtained from this reduction of landed price of coal needs to be passed on to the Discom/consumer of power. This exercise is voluntary for the TPPs. It aims to reduce the distance by which coal travels.
- On 16th May 2018, Meenakshi Lekhi, MP (Lok Sabha), New Delhi and Member, Parliamentary Standing Committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law and Justice launched the “Swachhata Abhiyan” of the ____ of Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions?
1.Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances
2.Department of Financial Reforms and Public Grievances
3.Department of Social Reforms and Public Grievances
4.Department of Educational Reforms and Public Grievances
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances
DARPG is observing the ‘Swachhata Pakhwada’ from 16th May to 31st May 2018 at its premises at Sardar Patel Bhawan, New Delhi. ‘Swachhata Pakhwada’ is being observed with an aim to renew and reinforce the concept of cleanliness in the Department. Several activities have been planned which involves the participation of the staff. Joint Secretary, DARPG, Smita Kumar said that, DARPG has implemented 100% e-office and digitised all records.
- On 6th February 2018, which department launched the initiative of a competitive ranking framework system called ‘State Startup Ranking Framework 2018’?
1.Department of Higher Education
2.Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion
3.Department of Micro, Small and Medium Industries
4.Department of Education and Social Reforms
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion
Two rounds of video conferencing between states and UTs with the DIPP was conducted in march and april 2018 and participated in conducting ranking awareness and workshops. 3 knowledge exchange workshops were conducted at leading incubators in the country. The workshops were organised at T-Hub, Hyderabad on 9th April, 2018, iCreate, Ahmedabad on 11th April, 2018 and Sunrise Incubation Tower, Vishakhapatnam on 16th April, 2018. With the submission in 30th april a total of 30 states and UTs were ranked and interestingly majority of the enthusiasm was from North-Eastern states . These states and UTs will be evaluated based on 38 parameters categorized into 7 areas and on a score of 100 they will be ranked. The 7 parameters are Startup Policy and implementation, Incubation support, Seed Funding, Angel and Venture Funding, Simplification of Regulations, Easing Public Procurement and Awareness & Outreach. DIPP has also appointed seven dedicated evaluation committees involving members from all relevant departments and reputed players in the ecosystem, for evaluating States’ responses in each area of intervention. The performance of the States will be dynamically presented on the State Startup Ranking dashboard hosted on www.startupindia.gov.in. The overall exercise is expected to be complete with announcement in ranking in June, 2018.
- Name the campaign that was launched by World Health Organisation (WHO) on 15th May 2018, to eliminate industrially produced trans fat from global foods by 2023?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Replace
Trans fat are used in hardened vegetables fats such as in ghee, margarine and are often present in snacks, baked foods and fried foods. These are mainly used by the manufacturers becausethey have longer shelf life . Transfat are known to cause5,00,000 death every year worldwide and is the main cause for cardio vascular disease. In light of the above effects WHO has decided to implement this campaign targeting low and middle income countries where provision for control is often weak. Denmark was the first countryto implement such restrictions and following its success New York has also eliminated trans fat a decade ago.
- Which Organisation has published its first ‘essential diagnostics list’, a list of tests needed to diagnose the most common conditions as well as a number of global priority diseases?
1.United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
2.World Health Organisation (WHO)
3.United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO)
4.United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.World Health Organisation (WHO)
Objective behind publishing this list is to address the problem of people’s inability to access diagnostic services. WHO outlined that an estimated 46 percent of adults with Type 2 diabetes worldwide were undiagnosed, thereby facing serious health risks and complications. WHO’s essential diagnostics list concentrates on in-vitro tests like tests of blood and urine. tests have been enlisted for detection and diagnosis of a wide range of common conditions while 55 tests are designed for the detection, diagnosis and monitoring of ‘priority’ diseases such as HIV, malaria, tuberculosis, hepatitis B and C, human papillomavirus and syphilis.
- Which bank will sell 8.26 % stake in Universal Sompo General Insurance to Dabur Investment Corporation and Sompo Japan?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Karnataka Bank
This transaction is waiting for approval from Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI). After this transaction, Karnataka Bank’s stake in the general insurance company will reduce to 6 percent from the current 14.26 percent. Sompo Japan’s stake will increase to 34.61 percent from 28.42 percent and Dabur Investment Corporation’s stake will increase to 12.81 percent from 10.74 percent.
- As per a report by HSBC inflation is set to rise further during Oct 2018 to March 2019 and could average ____ per cent for financial year 2018-19?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.5.1
This year’s projection of 5.1 per cent is higher as compared to 3.6 per cent last year. Higher oil prices, a weaker rupee, higher minimum support prices (MSPs) for agricultural commodities and more currency in circulationhave been identified as factors that will fuel higher inflation. However, the report has outlined that if appropriate actions are taken now, inflation may move lower in 2019-20, and could even fall back towards the RBI’s 4 per cent target by the second half of 2019-20. It is to be noted that in April 2018, retail inflation inched up to 4.58 per cent, reversing the declining trend of past three months, while Wholesale Price Index (WPI) inflation also rose to 3.18 per cent on account of spike in fuel prices.
- On 16th May, the President of India Mr. Ram Nath Kovind, presented the National Geoscience Award in _____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.New Delhi
After the commencement of the programme the President praised the geoscientists saying that with their deep understanding of landform dynamics, geoscientists have an important role to play in enhancing agricultural productivity and farmer incomes; in providing a bedrock to the Smart Cities initiative; and in helping our fellow citizens fight the challenge of water scarcityas well. He further said that India being one of the fastest growing major economies in the world. The mining and mineral sector contributes a considerable part of the GDP.It varies from 2.2% to 2.5% only but going by the GDP of the total industrial sector it contributes around 10% to 11%.To expand this sector high-quality research initiatives for sustainable, ecologically-friendly resource generation – and meaningful investment in technological innovation in the mining sector. With different reforms being taken in this sector .Steps taken by the Ministry of Mines have led to identification of promising mineral blocks in states for auction. It is local communities that must benefit from the discovery, extraction and development of mineral resources.
- On May 15, 2018, which Governor was given the additional charge of Madhya Pradesh as the incumbent Governor, Anandiben Patel is on leave?
1.Gujarat Governor – Om Prakash Kohli
2.Maharashtra Governor – Vidyasagar Rao
3.Delhi Governor – Anil Baijal
4.Rajasthan Governor – Kalyan Singh
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Gujarat Governor – Om Prakash Kohli
On May 15, 2018, Gujarat Governor Om Prakash Kohli was given the additional charge of Madhya Pradesh as the incumbent Governor, Anandiben Patel is on leave. In the past, Mr. Kohli held the additional charge of the office of Governor of Madhya Pradesh from 8th September 2016 to 19th January 2018. In January 2018, Anandiben, became the Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
- On 15th May 2018, the Central Government told the Supreme Court that ____ was appointed as an eminent jurist in the selection committee for appointment of the Lokpal?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Mukul Rohatgi
On 15th May 2018, the Central Government told the Supreme Court that Mukul Rohatgi was appointed as an eminent jurist in the selection committee for appointment of the Lokpal. Decision was taken on 11th May 2018 to appoint senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi as an eminent jurist in the selection committee, which is chaired by the Prime Minister. Mukul Rohatgi was appointed as Attorney General of India in May 2014. He resigned from the position in June 2017.
- Name the person who has been elected for a second term as the independent chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Shashank Manohar
Shashank Manohar was elected unopposed as ICC chairman as he was the only nominee named by the ICC Board. Each of the ICC directors were allowed to nominate one candidate, who had to be either a present or a past ICC director. Shashank Manohar became the first independent ICC chairman in 2016.
- Which firm will be acquiring debt-ridden Bhushan Steel as its bid has been approved by National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Tata Steel
Tata Steel will be acquiring Bhushan Steel through its step-down subsidiary Bamnipal Steel Ltd, which will invest in Bhushan steel and acquire the controlling stake. As per the resolution plan, Bamnipal Steel will subscribe to the equity share capital of Bhushan Steel on a preferential basis at a price of Rs 2 per share, and provide additional funds in the form of inter-corporate loans of which up to Rs 9000 crore loans have an option of conversion into equity shares of BSL. These investments of Bamnipal Steel in Bhushan steel will raise Rs 35132.58 crore, which will be used to settle the existing debts of Bhushan Steel.
- Name the NASA spacecraft which is about the size of a loaf of bread and has developed the first global map of ice clouds?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.IceCube
The IceCube spacecraft was deployed from the International Space Station (ISS) in 2017. It is testing instruments for their ability to make space-based measurements of the small, frozen crystals that create ice clouds. Ice clouds start as tiny particles high in the atmosphere. They absorb moisture, and become heavier. This make them to fall to lower altitudes. The ice clouds affect Earth’s energy budget by reflecting or absorbing the Sun’s energy and by affecting the emission of heat from Earth into space. Ice clouds are major variables in weather and climate models. IceCube was equipped with a sub-millimetre radiometer that links the missing sensitivity between infrared and microwave wavelengths.
- Which football league has planned to launch a Pro League in October 2018 and a community league in January 2019?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Football Delhi
On 15th May 2018, Football Delhi finalised and approved the Annual Calendar of football activities for the season 2018-19. Earlier, Football Delhi, was known as Delhi Soccer Association. The new season will start in July 2018 with the Golden League (U9 & U11 league), a mixed league for boys and girls. Football Delhi will organise Futsal competitions in December 2018. It will also organise an Amateur league for A and B Division clubs in August 2018. It has also planned to launch a corporate league. It will launch a U15 School league for girls and a proper women’s football league. It will initiate a school league for private and government schools.
- On 14th May 2018, Tom Wolfe who passed away after he was hospitalized with an infection, in Manhattan, United States, was a ___?
1.Journalist and novelist
2.Actor and director
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Journalist and novelist
Tom Wolfe was 88 years old. He joined The New York Herald Tribune as a reporter in 1962. He published his important novel “The Right Stuff,” in 1979. It spoke about the first American astronauts and the Mercury space program.
- Name the Lavani singer who died after a short term illness, in Maharashtra, on 15th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Yamunabai Waikar
On 15th May 2018, Lavani singer Yamunabai Waikar died after a short term illness, in Maharashtra. Yamunabai Waikar was 103 years old. She received Padma Shri award in 2012. She was popular for her Lavani sings. She was born in Satara district, Maharashtra as Yamuna Vikram Jawale. She had also worked to create awareness about water conservation during the 1972 drought in Maharashtra.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the Director General and Headquarters of World Health Organisation (WHO)?Headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland; Current Director General – Tedros Adhanom
- Where is Kaziranga National Park located?Assam
- Where is the headquarters of International Cricket Council (ICC)?Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Who is the Prime Minister of Morocco?Saadeddine Othmani
- Where is Meenakshi Temple located?Madurai, Tamil Nadu