AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 15 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
Click Here to Read Current Affairs May 15 2018
- On May 13, 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind launched Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Antyoday Swarojgar Yojana, Sundar Singh Bhandari EBC (economically backward class) Swarojgar Yojana and Rin Maufi Yojna of which State Government?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Rajasthan
On May 13, 2018, President Ram Nath Kovind launched Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Antyoday Swarojgar Yojana, Sundar Singh Bhandari EBC (economically backward class) Swarojgar Yojana and Rin Maufi Yojna of Rajasthan State Government. Bhairon Singh Shekhawat Antyoday Swarojgar Yojana: loans of up to Rs 50000 on 4% cent interest will be given to Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) and Other Backward Class (OBC) families for self-employment. Sundar Singh Bhandari EBC (economically backward class) Swarojgar Yojana: a loan of Rs 50000 on 4% interest will be given to economically backward families of the general category. Rin Maufi Yojna: loan waiver scheme of up to Rs 50000 to SC, ST, OBC, sweepers and ‘divyang’.
- After the cabinet reshuffle on 14th May 2018, who has been given the additional portfolios of Minister of Finance and Minister of Corporate Affairs?
3.Narendra Singh Tomar
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Piyush Goyal
Minister of Railways Piyush Goyal has been given the additional portfolios of Minister of Finance and Minister of Corporate Affairs. He will hold this portfolio till Arun Jaitley recovers from the kidney transplant he underwent recently. Smirti Irani has been moved out of Ministry of Information and Broadcast (I&B). Now she will only be responsible for the textile ministry. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore has been given independent charge as Minister of State in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. SS Ahluwalia has been made the new Minister of State for and Information Technology. He has been relieved from his Minister of State position of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation. Alphons Kannanthanam, has been relieved from Minister of State position in the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- After the cabinet reshuffle on 14th May 2018, who has been given independent charge as Minister of State in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting?
2.Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore has been given independent charge as Minister of State in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. SS Ahluwalia has been made the new Minister of State for and Information Technology. He has been relieved from his Minister of State position of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation. Alphons Kannanthanam, has been relieved from Minister of State position in the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- On 14th May 2018, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy issued ____?
1.National Wind-Solar Hybrid Policy
2.National Nuclear-Solar Hybrid Policy
3.National Wind-Hydro Hybrid Policy
4.National Hydro-Solar Hybrid Policy
5.None of theseAnswer –3.National Wind-Hydro Hybrid Policy
The objective of National Wind-Solar Hybrid Policy is to offer a framework for promotion of large grid connected wind-solar PV hybrid system for efficient usage of transmission infrastructure and land. It also aims to reduce the variability in renewable power generation and to achieve better grid stability. It offers integration of both wind and solar at AC and DC level. It offers flexibility in share of wind and solar components in hybrid project, subject to one condition that, rated power capacity of one resource should be at least 25 % of the rated power capacity of other resource for it to be recognised hybrid project. It will promote new hybrid projects and hybridisation of existing wind/solar projects. The existing wind/solar projects can be hybridised with higher transmission capacity than the sanctioned one, subject to availability of margin in the existing transmission capacity.
- On 15th May 2018, Minister of State (Independent Charge) of Communications and Minister of State of Railways, Manoj Sinha flagged off Antyodaya train named 22551/22552 Darbhanga-____ City Antyodaya Express (Weekly)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Jalandhar
Manoj Sinha flagged off the train through video conferencing from Rail Bhawan, New Delhi. He said that, this Antyodaya Train will make commuting easy for those who travel from Bihar to Punjab. This train is equipped with facilities like Bio-toilets, mobile charging etc.
- Who chaired the meeting on the Samarth scheme that was held in New Delhi on 14th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Smriti Irani
The aim of the meeting was to familiarize the stakeholders with the objective and functioning of the scheme. The various challengesfaced by the stakeholders from the previous scheme were also addressed and the feedbacks on the concerned potential and benefits of the scheme to the betterment of textile sector were also discussed. The main objective of the scheme being to provide skill training to the youth for gainful and sustainable employment in the textile sectorexcluding spinning and weaving.
- National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO) has signed MoU with which union ministry, setting highest ever target of Rs 9350 crore revenue for financial year 2018-19?
1.Union Ministry of Mines
2.Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy resources
3.Union Ministry of Science and Technology
4.Union Ministry of Skill Development And Entrepreneurship
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Union Ministry of Mines
NALCO’s revenue target of Rs 9350 crore marks a 15% increment over previous year. In terms of production, target for production of Alumina has been set at 2.1 million tons and for Aluminium production it is 4.15 lakh tonnes. During 2018-19, NALCO will be incurring capital expenditure of Rs.1100 crore, mainly on projects like the 1 million tonne 5th stream of Refinery, wind power projects and modernization & up- gradation of plant equipments.
- Which Union Ministry has announced that E-way bill system for intra-state movement of goods valued over Rs 50000 would be rolled out in Assam from May 16, 2018 and in Rajasthan from May 20, 2018?
1.Union Finance Ministry
2.Union Ministry Commerce and Industry
3.Union Ministry of Science and Technology
4.Union Ministry of Tourism
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Union Finance Ministry
In context of this news, it is important to note that E-way bill system for moving goods worth over Rs 50000 from one state to another has already been rolled out since April 1, 2018. The same for intra or within the state movement has been rolled out in phased manner and so far 18 states, including Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar have made e-way bill mandatory for intra-state movement of goods. Till May 13, 2018 more than 4.15 crore e-way bills have been generated, which includes more than 1 crore e-way bills for intra-state movement of goods.
- Agence Française de Développement (AFD’s) programme to fund Smart City projects was launched during the First apex conference for Smart City CEOs that was held in ____ on 8th and 9th May, 2018?
3.Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
Agence Française de Développement (AFD’s) programme to fund Smart City projects was also launched during the conference. Under this programme, Euro 100 million will be provided to 30- 80 selected projects (selected through a challenge) and Euro 6 million will be available for technical support. Detailed panel discussions focusing on various themes, were also held during this two-day conference. The conference also focused on implementing Smart City Centres, Area Based Developments, Human Resources and Future Roadmap.
- In a bid to pursue the objective of acquiring state-owned generation units across India, on May 15, 2018, NTPC inked acquisition pact with which state and its power utilities?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Bihar
As per the terms of MoU, Barauni Thermal Power Station will be transferred to NTPC and Bihar State Power Generation Co. Ltd. (BSPGCL’s) 27.36 per cent equity in Kanti Bijlee Utpadan Nigam Ltd (KBUNL) and 50 per cent equity in Nabinagar Power Generating Company will also be transferred to NTPC. As NTPC and BSPGCL own 72.64 per cent and 27.36 per cent equity holding in KBUNL and Nabinagar Power Generating Company (NPGC) is a 50:50 JV of NTPC and BSPGCL, post this transaction, Barauni plant will become part of NTPC portfolio and KBUNL and NPGC will become wholly-owned subsidiaries of NTPC.
- Shikdamakha, one of the cleanest villages in ____, along with its neighbouring hamlets – Bormarjong, Maulen, Amsai, Langarkhon has taken an initiative to create a rural tourism model?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Assam
This initiative is aimed at creating livelihood opportunities for local people. It is supported by Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council, and an NGO named Root Bridge Foundation, which is making a detailed plan for the development of the villages with participation of local youths and students of Tezpur University, Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) and Guwahati University.
- Where did the first Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) that is run by an all-woman team began operations on 14thMay 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Phagwara, Punjab
The POPSK was inaugurated by Union Minister Vijay Sampla in the local head Post Office. It is the 192nd POPSK in India. But it is the first POPSK to be operated by an all-woman team. The Phagwara Kendra will be headed by department’s Verification Officer Madhuri Bhavi. The other two women staff members – Postal Assistants will be from the Post Office Department. The printing and issuing of passports will be handled by Jalandhar office. Currently, 50 applications will be received and processed daily in the Phagwara POPSK. This POPSK will offer its services to Kapurthala, Nawandhar and Jalandhar rural districts.
- Where was the regional conference on “Physical and Social Infrastructure for Regional Development” held on 14th and 15thMay 2018?
4.Chennai, Tamil Nadu
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Guwahati, Assam
On 14th May, the Governor of Assam , Prof. Jagdish Mukhi inaugurated the two day regional conference on “Physical and Social Infrastructure for Regional Development” in Guwahati, Assam. This conference was organized by Ministry of Finance, Government of India in association with the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) , Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS) and FICCI. The Theme of the conference is ‘Physical and Social Infrastructure for Regional Development’. Since Assam is at the heart of Centre’s Act Easy Policyand it is at close proximity to the neighboring south Asian countries, the focus on investment for thephysical infrastruce will enable better communication with the remote areas and the social infrastructure will be enhanced by providing good health care services and education.
- On 14th May 2018, Indian Army Women Officers’ Mountaineering Expedition to ____ comprising 9 women officers, was flagged off by Director General of Military Training?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Mt. Bhagirathi-II
On 14th May 2018, Indian Army Women Officers’ Mountaineering Expedition to Mt. Bhagirathi-II (6512 metres) comprising 9 women officers, was flagged off by Director General of Military Training. This expedition is held from 14 May to 11 June 2018. The team has also planned to create a new world record of practicing Yoga at 21000 feet on Yoga Day 2018. This expedition aims to encourage women in the field of adventure. Mt. Bhagirathi-II is located in the Garhwal Himalayas in Gangotri National Park.
- As per a report by Mercom Communications India, which country has emerged as the third largest solar market in the world in 2017?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.India
In 2017, India set a new record with 9.6 GW of solar installations, which was more than double the 4.3 GW installed in 2016. On account of this stellar growth, India’s total solar installed capacity reached 19.6 GW as of December 2017. Out of the 19.6 GW installation, 92% is on account of large-scale project development. Mercom Communications India is the Indian subsidiary of Mercom Capital Group, a global clean energy consulting firm.
- RBI has debarred which bank from high-risk lending and has advised to reduce exposure to unrated and high-risk advances, which is under prompt corrective action (PCA) since January 2018?
4.Bank of India
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Allahabad Bank
RBI has debarred Allahabad bank from high-risk lending and has advised to reduce exposure to unrated and high-risk advances. Allahabad Bank has also been restricted by RBI from creating non-banking assets and accessing or renewing wholesale or costly deposits or certificate of deposits. These actions have been suggested by RBI by considering Allahabad Bank’s Capital to Risk (Weighted) Assets Ratio (CRAR) and leverage ratio positions. Allahabad Bank is the second lender (after Dena Bank) among the 11 banks under prompt corrective action (PCA) that has been restricted by the RBI from lending to risky assets.
- Which bank has finally agreed to provide a grant to Bangladesh for meeting the basic needs of around one million Rohingyas who fled their homeland Myanmar?
1.International Monetary Fund (IMF)
2.Asian Development Bank (ADB)
4.Asian Infrastructure Development Bank (AIIB)
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.World Bank
Bangladesh had asked World Bank’s assistance for this cause in October 2017. At that time, WB offered to provide a mix of soft loans and grant. However, Bangladesh refused to take loans. World Bank has now agreed to extend the grant as considering the case of Rohingyas as “exceptional”. WB, which has dealt with similar refugee crisis in Venezuela, Turkey and some other African countries has stated that grant provided to Bangladesh should be entirely spent for Rohingyas only.
- On May 14, 2018, Paytm introduced ____, an automatic recurring payments feature that lets users of Paytm app to pay for periodic recurring expenses automatically?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.My Payments
This feature is similar to standing instructions for bank accounts, that can be used for high-value payments for a variety of cases such as house rent, maid/driver’s salary, milk or newspaper vendor payments online. It is expected that ‘My Payments’ feature will significantly boost bank-to-bank transactions on Paytm. It is to be noted that Paytm processes about 1 billion transactions every quarter.
- Yes Bank and its think tank YES Global Institute have launched ____, aimed at creating a synergetic startup environment for budding women entrepreneurs in India?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Agenda 25×25
This initiative was launched at YES Bank – YES Global Institute Annual Startup Conclave hosted in partnership with NITI Aayog, Invest India, Startup India and Atal Innovation Mission.’Agenda 25X25’ is geared towards ensuring that by 2025, at least 25% of all entrepreneurs in India are women. A study by YES Bank-YES Global Institute, titled ‘Putting Women First: Building the Start-up Ecosystem Ground Up’ emphasised on the need to build a 10 Step Developmental Model focused on empowering women innovators, synergizing collaborations, catalyzing investments and increasing economic opportunities.
- On 14th May, the Indian army Chief General Bipin Rawat announced that the Indian Army has bagged a finalized a deal amounting to ____ for indeginously produced ammunition project consisting of critical weapons and tanks?
1.Rs. 15000 crore
2.Rs. 18000 crore
3.Rs. 25000 crore
4.Rs. 11000 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs. 15000 crore
The over all cost of project is Rs. 15000 crore with a specific target of 10 years. As many as 11 private firmshave been involved in the project and it is being monitored by the top brass of Army and Defence Ministry. The ammunition project includes a range of rockets, air defence system, artillery guns, infantry combat vehicles, grenade launchers and various other field weapon. The objective of this project is to create an inventory of major weapons that would suffice during a 30-day war scenario. And the long term aimis to cut down ondefence imports.
- On May 15, 2018, Income Tax Department launched the ____, the third income return form for assessment year 2018-19, on the official e-filing portal?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.ITR-2
ITR-2 is for individuals, Hindu Undivided families (HUFs) and NRIs who have income from any sources except income from profits and gains of business or profession. With this, a total of three Income Tax Returns (ITRs) have now been activated by Income Tax Department viz. ITR-1 (Sahaj), ITR-4 and ITR-2. ITR-1 is primarily for salaried class of taxpayers with income up to Rs 50 lakh from salary while ITR-4 is for professionals and self-employed individuals who have opted for the presumptive income scheme. Four more ITRs will be activated as per Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) notification on April 5, 2018.
- Name the person who received the DRDO Lifetime Achievement Award – 2016 on 14th May 2018?
1.Dr Hitendra Singh
2.Dr Vasudev Kalkunte Aatre
3.Giridharan S P
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Dr Vasudev Kalkunte Aatre
Former Secretary, Department of Defence R&D, Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister and Director General, DRDO Dr V K Saraswat was presented DRDO Lifetime Achievement Award – 2017, while former Secretary, Department of Defence R&D, Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister and Director General, DRDO Dr Vasudev Kalkunte Aatre was presented DRDO Lifetime Achievement Award – 2016. Other awardees included distinguished Scientist & Director General (Missiles & Strategic Systems) Dr G Satheesh Reddy for Technology Leadership Award – 2016. During the award function, Chairman of DRDO Dr S Christopher e-launched the ‘Navrachna’ (innovation) implementation programme.
- Who was presented the ‘Shri Jayadev Rastriya Yuva Pratibha Puraskar 2018’, at the ‘Jayadev International Dance Festival’ in Bhubaneswar on 14th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Anindita Anaam
Anindita Anaam was awarded for her remarkable contribution to art. The ‘Jayadev International Dance Festival’ is held for 4 days. Is started on 13th May 2018. It has is organised under the control of Odisha’s culture department and National Culture Mission. Anindita Anaam is a Kathak instructor in Wisconsin, United States. She is trained in both Jaipur and Lucknow gharanas.
- Name the British journalist and former BBC India correspondent who has been selected for this year’s RedInk award for lifetime achievement in journalism?
1.Sir William Mark Tully
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Sir William Mark Tully
The RedInk awards for excellence in journalism are instituted by the Mumbai Press Club. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Union Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu will present the award to Sir William Mark Tully on 18th May 2018 in Mumbai. The award is presented to Sir William Mark Tully in recognition of his contribution to Indian journalism. Sir William Mark Tully worked with the BBC for 30 years. He was also the Chief of Bureau, BBC, Delhi. Faye D’Souze, executive editor of Mirror Now channel, has been chosen for the RedInk award for ‘journalist of the year’. Apart from these two awards, Redink awards for excellence in journalism are awarded in 13 categories to 32 journalists.
- Name the Indian who has been chosen for the Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan for his contribution to the development of Asia?
1.Dr Anand Tiwari
3.Dr Bindeshwar Pathak
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Dr Bindeshwar Pathak
Dr Bindeshwar Pathak is one among the three persons who have been selected for the award. The prizes will be awarded on 13th June 2018 in Tokyo, Japan. Nikkei Inc., is one of the largest media corporations in Japan. It has been presenting the awards since 1996. It honours people in Asia who have made remarkable contributions in: Economic and Business Innovation, Science, Technology and Environment and Culture and Community. The Sulabh International foundation has built Sulabh flush composting toilets all over India, which has helped in providing better sanitation, safety for rural women and freedom from the manual labour of removing human waste.
- Who was appointed the brand ambassador of Netmeds on 15th May 2018?
3.Mahendra Singh Dhoni
4.P V Sindhu
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Netmeds CEO Pradeep Dadha said that, the company wants people to know that it intends to be a team member to help fight Chronic diseases. Netmeds is promoted by Dadha family. At present it has an inventory of 35,000 stock keeping units (SKUs) of prescription drugs and 5,000 SKUs of OTC (Over-The-Counter) products.
- Who won a gold medal in the 10m air pistol category at the International Shooting Competitions of Hannover (ISCH), on 13th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Heena Sidhu
In the final, Heena Sidhu was tied with France’s Mathilde Lamolle on 239.8 points. Heena Sidhu won the tie and secured the gold medal. India’s Shri Nivetha won a bronze medal with a score of 219.2.
- Who won the Spanish Grand Prix thus crowning himself with the Formula One’s season title on 14th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Lewis Hamilton
On 14th May, Mercedes and british driver Lewis Hamilton won the Spanish Grand Prix thus crowning himself with the Formula One’s season title.
• Valtteri Bottasof Mercedes ranked second .
• Max Verstappenof Red Bull ranked third .
• Sebastian Vettelranked fourth.
With this win Lewis Hamilton(with a total of 95 points) joins Mika Hakkinen and Michel Schumacher on the list of people who have won three grand prix at the Circuit de Catalunya.
- Name the football player who was named France’s player of the Year at an award ceremony in Paris, on 15th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Neymar
On 15th May, the Paris saint-Germain’s brazilian forward footballer Neymar was named France’s player of the Year at an award ceremony in Paris. He received his award from former Brazilian international player Ronaldo as a part of 27th UNFP (French National Professional Football Players Union) trophy Ceremony. He is considered to be the world’s most expensive player with a score of 19 goals in 20 leagues for PSG games before suffering from a foot injury that needed surgery. He is hoping to be back to full fitness in time to lead Brazil at the World Cup in Russia, which starts in a month’s time.
- Poet and politician, Nand Ramdas Balkavi Bairagi, who passed away on 15th May 2018, belonged to which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Madhya Pradesh
On 15th May, noted poet and politician Mr. Balkavi Bairagi passed away at 87 years in Madhya Pradesh. His full name was Nand Ramdas Balkavi Bairagi. He was a well known person in poetry , politics and cinema .Known for his several compelling and crowd-pulling dramatic style, he wrote many poems for children including Jhar gaye paat, bisar gayi tehni(The leaves have fallen, the branch has forgotten) was one of his acclaimed poems. He also penned lyrics for many hindi films .
- What was the theme of International Day of the Families that was celebrated on 15th May 2018?
1.Families and inclusive societies
2.Good Families – Pillars of Society
3.Familes and individuals
4.Awareness on family related issues
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Families and inclusive societies
In 1993, UN General Assembly declared that 15 May of every year should be celebrated as International Day of Families. The International Day of Families offers an opportunity to promote awareness of issues related to families and to improve the knowledge of the social, economic and demographic processes affecting families. Workshops, conferences, radio and television programmes, newspaper articles and cultural programmes are conducted to celebrate this day.. The theme for International Day of Families 2018: “Families and inclusive societies”.
- A Summer Adventure Camp was organised at Air Force Station ____ for children and families from 12 to 15 May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Hindan
A Summer Adventure Camp was organised at Air Force Station Hindan for children and families from 12 to 15 May 2018. The camp is aimed to inculcate and promote the spirit of adventure, camaraderie and virtue of self-discipline among the participants. A total of 600 personnel including air warriors and their families participated in the camp. Various activities such as Microlight Flying, Power Hand Gliding, Para Sailing, Rappelling, Zorbing, Go Karting and Swimming were organised during the camp. Adequate safety measures were undertaken to safeguard against heat, exhaustion and dehydration of the participants.
- Atal Pension Yojana (APY) Scheme’s subscriber base has crossed _____ on completion of 3 years of the Scheme launch?
5.None of thereAnswer – 2.1 crore
Atal Pension Yojana (APY) Scheme’s subscriber base crossed 1 Crore on completion of 3 years of the Scheme launch. APY was launched by the Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi at a function in Kolkataon 9thMay,2015 and the current number of subscribers stands at 1.10 Crore. Atal Pension Yojana (APY), a guaranteed Pension Scheme for citizens of India announced by the Government of India, is focused on the unorganised sector workers which constitute more than 85% of workforce. Under the APY, the guaranteed minimum pension of Rs. 1,000/- or 2,000/- or 3,000/- or 4,000/ or 5,000/- per month will be given at the age of 60 years depending on the contributions by the subscribers. The Spouse of the Subscriber is also eligible for pension and the nominee would be receiving the accumulated pension wealth.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- What is the tag line of Vijaya Bank ?A Friend You Can Bank On
- Who is the chairman of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) that is headquartered in New Delhi?Current Chairman – S Christopher; Headquarters – New Delhi
- Name the MD & CEO and headquarters of Yes Bank?Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra, Current MD & CEO – Rana Kapoor
- Who is the chairman of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) that is headquartered in Beijing , China?Chairman: Jin Liquin
- Where is Ranthambore National Park located?Rajasthan
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification