AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs May 11 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Central Government has decided to extend financial assistance of Rs. 5.50 per quintal of cane crushed in sugar season 2017-18 to sugar mills to offset the cost of cane. The total assistance as per this decision is estimated to be _____?
1.Rs. 1540 crore
2.Rs. 4500 crore
3.Rs. 2300 crore
4.Rs. 1890 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs. 1540 crore
The said assistance shall be paid directly to the farmers on behalf of the mills on the basis of actual cane crushed. On account of high sugar production vis-à-vis consumption, sugar prices have remained depressed since the beginning of current sugar season 2017-18. Surplus holdings have negatively affected the liquidity position of sugar mills which has in turn lead to accumulation of cane price dues of farmers. The total assistance as per this decision is estimated to be about Rs. 1540 crore.
- On May 10, 2018, Chief Minister of which state launched ‘Rythu Bandhu’ (friend of farmers), an investment support scheme for farmers?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Telangana
This scheme is claimed to be the first such initiative among all states of India. Under ‘Rythu Bandhu’ Scheme, all farmers in Telangana who own land, will be provided investment support of Rs 8000 per acre per year. This scheme has been rolled out with budgetary allocation of Rs 12000 crore for 2018-19. However, ‘Rythu Bandhu’ Scheme has not been extended to tenant farmers.
- Vice President of India and the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha, Venkaiah Naidu has constituted a 2-member committee to review rules of procedure and conduct of business in Rajya Sabha. Who is the head of the committee?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.V.K. Agnihotri
The two-member committee will be headed by V.K. Agnihotri – Former Rajya Sabha Secretary General, while the other member will be S.R. Dhaleta – Former Joint Secretary in the Union Ministry of Law and Justice. Although the committee will review the rules of procedure for conduct of business as a whole, it will focus on provisions, which seem inadequate vis-a-vis rules in Lok Sabha. It is to be noted that this committee has been formed in wake of repetitive disruptions witnessed in both the houses during the recent budget session. The committee has been asked to submit its report to Chairman of Rajya Sabha in three months.
- Indian Navy is engaged in conducting a joint exclusive economic zone (EEZ) surveillance of Maldives. For this purpose, Indian Navy has deployed Indian Naval (IN) ship ____ from 9th to 17th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Sumedha
For this purpose, Indian Navy has deployed Indian Naval (IN) ship Sumedha, a Naval Offshore Patrol Vessel (NOPV), from 9th to 17th May 2018. This deployment is a part of Indian Navy’s ‘Mission Based Deployments’. On 11th and 12th May 2018, INS Sumedha would undertake an Operational Turnaround (OTR) at Male, during which it will interact and impart training to Maldives’ National Defence Forces (MNDF) personnel. From 12th to 15th May, 2018, INS Sumedha will undertake joint EEZ surveillance of Maldives with MNDF personnel onboard.
- Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) under Union Ministry of Finance disposed of five FDI proposals during April, 2018. What does “D” represent in FDI?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Direct
FDI – foreign direct investment
Applicants whose, proposals have been approved are M/s Alcon Laboratories (India) Pvt Ltd. – for undertaking financial lease of ophthalmic surgical equipment in India in addition to the existing business of wholesale trading in India – and M/s CVC Asia Pacific (Singapore) Pte. Limited, which pertains to amendment application relating to imposition of minimum capital norms. Another proposal which has been approved is of M/s Hindustan Infralog Pvt Ltd., seeking approval for foreign investment up to Rs. 3250 crore in M/s Hindustan Infralog Pvt Ltd.
- On 11th May 2018, Union Minister of State (I/C) of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr. Jitendra Singh conducted a meeting with Union Minister of state for Tourism (I/C) and Electronics and Information Technology ___ in New Delhi as a part of continuing inter-ministerial discussions for development of North Eastern states?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.K.J. Alphons
The meeting was held as a part of continuing inter-ministerial discussions for development of North Eastern states. Discussions were made on proposals for identifying new projects on priority for development of tourism in North Eastern states. Dr. Jitendra Singh said that, the Ministry of DoNER has recommended to the Finance Ministry for higher fund allocation and special package for certain projects in the NE region. He said that, under the ‘North East Special Infrastructure Scheme (NESIDS), the DoNER Ministry offers financial assistance for projects of physical infrastructure related to water supply, power, connectivity to encourage tourism in the region.
- India’s longest road and railway bridge “Bogibeel bridge” is expected to be inaugurated in 2018 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It links Dibrugarh in Assam to Pasighat in which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Arunachal Pradesh
Civil work related to the Bogibeel bridge will be finished by July 2018. Two more months will be taken to complete electrical and signalling work. The bridge is 4.94 km long. This is said to be the second longest bridge of this kind in Asia. It has three lane roads on top and double line rail below. The bridge is 32 metres above the water level of the Brahamaputra River. This bridge will solve logistical issues for armed forces stationed at the China border to receive supplies from Tezpur.
- On 10th May 2018, a parliamentary panel headed by which BJP leader decided to study the recovery of black money and performance of public sector banks etc?
3.Murali Manohar Joshi
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Murali Manohar Joshi
The Estimates Committee consists of 30 members. It has planned to study various subjects related to several ministries in 2018-19. As per the memorandum of the committee, the panel will overview the import of uranium for nuclear plants, mining activities and environment, upgrading of India Post offices and the drought situation in India etc. The panel on estimates is also called the continuous economy committee. It recommends changes in policy or administrative framework to achieve efficiency in expenditure. It has planned to overview the functioning of Enforcement Directorate and recovery of black money, performance of public sector banks, debt recovery tribunals, rural housing fund and review the imports, exports and balance of payments.
- On 9th May 2018, Kerala Government approved setting up of the Kerala Fibre Optic Network Limited, to implement the Kerala Fibre Optic Network (K-FON) project, as a part of its programme to offer free ____ to over 20 lakh poor families?
4.compressed natural gas
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.internet
The Kerala government has decided to establish the Joint Venture company to launch its new optic fibre pathway. This decision was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan. The K-FON initiative is implemented to offer fast internet connectivity to government offices and educational institutions and quality internet service to public at an affordable rate. The cabinet also approved the Memorandum of Association and the Article of the Association of the new company, to be set up by the Kerala State IT Infrastructure Limited, the Kerala State Electricity Board and the state government.
- On 3rd May to 6th May 2018, which Indian armed force successfully conducted its first online selection test for airmen?
2.Indian Air Force
3.Border Security Force
4.Central Reserve Police Force
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Indian Air Force
The first ever Scheduled Test for Airmen Recruitment (STAR) was held through computer based online tests in association with Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC) Pune. CDAC is a Government organisation functioning under the Ministy of Electronics and Information Technology. This is the first time any of the three services has conducted selection tests online. Overall 409169 candidates had registered for the online STAR examination for Airmen. The online examination was held at 439 centres in 102 cities of India.
- On 9th May 2018, it was announced that the United States Stanford University will partner with which Indian state to fight disease like Japanese Encephalitis (JE) and Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Uttar Pradesh
Sidharth Nath Singh headed the delegation of top state officials to the United States. As a part of the official visit to the United States, the Indian delegation met with officials from the State Department, the Department of Commerce and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). They also held round tables with industry representatives.
- During Indian External Affairs Minister Ms. Sushma Swaraj’s official visit to Myanmar on 10th and 11th May 2018, how many agreements/Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) were signed between India and Myanmar?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.7
During the course of Ms. Sushma Swaraj’s visit to Myanmar, both the countries signed following agreements/Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs).
i.Agreement on Land Border Crossing
ii.MoU on Restoration and Preservation of Earthquake Damaged Pagodas in Bagan
iii.MoU on assistance to the Joint Ceasefire Monitoring Committee
iv.MoU on Training of Myanmar Foreign Service Officers
v.MoU on setting up Industrial Training Centre (ITC) at Monywa
vi.MoU on setting up Industrial Training Centre (ITC) at Thaton
vii.Exchange of Letters on extending a maintenance contract for Industrial Training Centre (ITC) at Myingyan.
- Name the bank that has planned to launch a capacity building project with farmers in Haryana and Rajasthan under its ‘Livelihood and Water Security’ CSR (Corporate social responsibility) initiative?
4.State Bank of India (SBI)
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.YES Bank
The main focus of the programme is sustainable agricultural practices and digital literacy. It aims to improve farmers’ access to finance, offer effective use of digital banking resources, and good agricultural practices. The programme will be launched during the current year in Haryana and Rajasthan. Initially it will be launched in 15 districts (eight districts in Haryana and seven in Rajasthan). It will benefit 10,900 farmers. Digital methodology will be used to train farmers.
- On 11th May 2018, who was awarded the 11th KISS Humanitarian Award 2018 at an event, in Bhubaneswar, Odisha?
1.Prof Muhammad Yunus
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Prof Muhammad Yunus
KIIT and KISS (Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences) president Saswati Bal and founder Achyuta Samanta presented the award to Prof Muhammad Yunus. Prof Muhammad Yunus is the founder of Grameen Bank of Bangladesh. He is known as the Father of Microfinance. He is the second Nobel laureate to receive this award. KISS Humanitarian Award is an international award. It is presented to someone who has contributed exceptionally to the society in fields related to social issues.
- Name the person who has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Sultanate of Oman?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Munu Mahawar
Munu Mahawar, an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of 1996 batch has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Sultanate of Oman. Munu Mahawar is presently Joint Secretary at Ministry of External Affairs Headquarters. He will soon assume charge as the next Ambassador of India to the Sultanate of Oman.
- Flipkart co-founder and Executive Chairman ____ has announced his exit from Flipkart, following Walmart’s deal to acquire Flipkart?
3.Vijay Shekhar Sharma
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Sachin Bansal
On 9th May 2018, Flipkart sold 77 per cent stake to Walmart group. Sachin Bansal sold his 5.5 per cent stake for about $1 billion to Walmart and exited Flipkart. Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal had started Flipkart with a capital of Rs. 4 lakh. Binny Bansal has decided to stay with Flipkart.
- On 10th May 2018, which player of Delhi Daredevils scored 128*(63) against SunRisers Hyderabad and became the first Indian to reach the highest-ever score in the history of Indian Premier League?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rishabh Pant
Rishabh Pant is a wicketkeeper-batsman. He is 20 years old. He has become the first Indian to reach the highest-ever score in the history of Indian Premier League. He has surpassed Chennai Super Kings’ Murali Vijay, who had scored 127(56) against Rajasthan Royals in 2010.
- Rajinder Pal, who passed away at his Dehradun residence on May 9, 2018 is related to which field?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Cricket
Rajinder pal was 80, and is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter. He was right-arm medium pacer and played his only Test match against England during the 1963-64 series at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai. However, despite of bowling an economical spell in that test match, he was replaced as he did not grab any wickets.
- On 8th May 2018, Anne V. Coates, died in California, United States. What was her occupation?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Film editor
Anne V. Coates was 92 years old. She had received an honorary Oscar, for her lifetime of work, at the 2016 Governors Awards ceremony. She was awarded BAFTA’s Academy Fellowship in 2007. Her important works are “Young Cassidy”, “The Bofors Gun”, “The Public Eye”, “Murder on the Orient Express”, “What About Bob?”, “Chaplin”, “Congo”, “Striptease” and Soderbergh’s “Erin Brockovich”.
- Name Australia’s oldest scientist who ended his own life at a clinic in Switzerland, on 10th May 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.David Goodall
David Goodall was 104 years old. He was assisted to end his life by Exit International, a right-to-die organization. David Goodall was not terminally ill but his health had deteriorated in the recent past and he chose to end his life because he felt that his quality of life had deteriorated in the past 5 to 10 years. He was a botanist and ecologist. As Euthanasia and assisted dying are banned in Australia, he chose Switzerland to end his life.
- When is the ‘National Technology Day’ observed in India?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.11 May
On 11th May 1998, India successfully carried out nuclear tests at Pokhran, Rajasthan (under Operation ‘Shakti’), flew its first, indigenous aircraft “Hansa-3” and also performed successful test firing of the Trishul missile. These breakthroughs on a single day demonstrated India’s capability as an advancing technological power in the international domain and thus 11th May was chosen to be commemorated as National Technology Day.
- Name the team that has emerged as Champions Of 8th Hockey India Senior Men National Championship 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Hockey Punjab
Hockey Punjab emerged as the Champions of the competition after they came from a goal down to defeat Petroleum Sports Promotion Board 2-1. Jharkhand was crowned champions of 8th Hockey India Junior Women National Championship 2018.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Bhitarkanika National Park located?Odisha
- Name the CEO and headquarters of YES Bank?MD & CEO – Rana Kapoor, Headquarters – Mumbai
- What is the tag line of IDBI Bank?Banking For All, “Aao Sochein Bada”
- Which state houses the Mrugavani National Park?Telangana
- Where is Paradip Port present?Odisha