AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs March 17 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- NITI Aayog released comprehensive roadmaps and detailed timelines for ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital in Education (SATH-E)’ project. What are the participating Statesin this program?
1. Jharkhand, Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat
2. Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra
3. Kerala, Arunachal Pradesh and Telengana
4. West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha
5. Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and OdishaAnswer – 5. Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha
NITI Aayog released comprehensive roadmaps and detailed timelines for ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital in Education (SATH-E)’ project. Forward looking blueprints were released by Amitabh Kant, CEO of NITI Aayog and the Chief Secretaries of the three participating States – Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha. The roadmaps contained information about detailed interventions which will be made in the three states between 2018 to 2020 with an aim to become ‘Role Model States’ in school education. The interventions in the form of action-oriented programmes will be carried out at the individual, district and State level. These roadmaps have been jointly prepared by NITI Aayog, the three States and the knowledge partners of the SATH Initiatives, Boston Consulting Group (BCG) and Piramal Foundation For Education Leadership (PFEL).
- Which Indian state hosted the Rising India Summit 2018 organized by Network 18?
2. New Delhi
5. BiharAnswer – 2. New Delhi
On 16th and 17th March 2018, the Rising India Summit organized by Network 18 is held in New Delhi. This is the first edition of News18 Rising India Summit. Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivered keynote address at the summit. Paul Krugman, a Nobel Prize-winning economist, is the guest of honour. The summit focuses on strategic affairs, sports, entertainment and defence. This summit is a conclusion of Rising Series hosted by Network 18 in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal, Karnataka, Kerala, etc.
- 1st meeting of the Working Group on making India, USD 5 Trillion Economy was held at _______?
5. New DelhiAnswer – 5. New Delhi
1st meeting of the Working Group on making India, USD 5 Trillion Economy was held on March 15, 2018 in New Delhi. The meeting was chaired by Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Suresh Prabhu and was attended by representatives from NITI Aayog and other industry bodies including Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). The objective of Working Group is to chart out a timeline for achieving the goal of making Indian economy a USD 5 trillion economy from the current USD 2.6 trillion economy.Government expenditure, Private Expenditure, Investment and Exports are the four factors which will largely drive India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth. Decision was taken to set up smaller groups to work out the sectoral targets and the roadmap ahead.
- Which state government has decided to ban the use of plastic from March 18, 2018?
1. Madhya Pradesh
5. SikkimAnswer – 2. Maharashtra
Maharashtra Environment Minister Ramdas Kadam announced that state government has decided to ban the use of plastic from March 18, 2018. The ban would apply on production, use, storage, sale, distribution, import and transportation of plastic. It would cover plastic bags, disposable cups and plates, thermocol, non-woven polypropylene bags, plastic pouches and packaging. However, use of plastic for covering medicines, forest and horticulture products, solid waste, tree saplings has been exempted from the list. Violation of these norms will be punishable with up to three months of jail term and/or will attract a penalty of Rs 5000-25000. In context of this news, it is important to note that Maharashtra contributes 30 percent of all plastic waste in India.
- In which city, National School of Drama (NSD) will be hosting the 8th edition of Theatre Olympics?
5. KanpurAnswer – 2. Mumbai
National School of Drama (NSD) will be hosting the 8th edition of Theatre Olympics in Mumbai from 24th March, 2018 to 7th April, 2018. Theatre Olympics is the largest international theatre festival and is being held in India for the first time. NSD is hosting the 8th edition of Theatre Olympics in Mumbai in collaboration with Directorate of Cultural Affairs, Maharashtra. Theme for the 8th edition of Theatre Olympics is ‘Flag of Friendship’. The Jaipur chapter of the Theatre Olympics, 2018, will be organised by NSD under the aegis of Union ministry of Culture in collaboration with the Ravindra Manch Society and Rajasthan State Art and Culture department from 18th March, 2018 to 1st April, 2018. Concept of Theatre Olympics was established in 1993 in Greece, and thereafter it was held in Japan (1999), followed by Russia (2001), Turkey (2006), South Korea (2010), China (2014) and Poland (2016).
- In which state government, Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the 5th ‘Nadi Mahotsava’ 2018?
5. Madhya PradeshAnswer – 5. Madhya Pradesh
On 16th March 2018, Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the 5th ‘Nadi Mahotsava’ at Bandrabhan in Hoshangabad, Madhya Pradesh. Nitin Gadkari said that ‘Nadi Mahotsava’ will revive rivers, and also enhance the condition of life of people living on river banks. He said that, ‘Nadi Mahotsava’ was started by late Union Minister Anil Madhav Dave. He urged people to cooperate in preserving of water. Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan also addressed the gathering. He spoke on various measures taken by government to preserve water.
- Which is the first country in the world to deploy blockchain technology in election process?
1. Sierra Leone
5. LesothoAnswer – 1. Sierra Leone
Sierra Leone, a West African country has become the first country in the world to deploy blockchain technology in election process. Sierra Leone attained this distinction by deploying blockchain-based solution to count the votes and provide proof in the recently held Presidential elections. The blockchain based solution used in Sierra Leone’s election was developed by a Switzerland based voting technology company, Agora. Total 16 candidates contested this election, and Agora used a proprietary blockchain distributed ledger to keep track of the votes. Based on this news, it can be inferred that blockchain-based solution that uses a publicly visible ledger for keeping track of elections has potential to complement and eventually replace electronic voting machines.
- How many countries were recommended by United Nations Committee for Development Policy (CDP) for graduation from the least developed country (LDC) category?
5. 7Answer – 2. 4
United Nations Committee for Development Policy (CDP) has announced that Bhutan along with Kiribati, Sao Tome and Principe and Solomon Islands will be recommended for graduation from the least developed country (LDC) category. These four nations will be recommended to move up from ranks of poorest nations on account of increasing national earning power as well as access to better health care. At the United Nations (UN), LDC category is assessed using three criteria viz. gross national income per capita, economic vulnerability and human assets (health and education targets). Countries in this category are reviewed on these criteria at interval of three years. In order to be eligible for being recommended to graduate from LDC, a country must meet two of the three criteria. As per CDP the above listed four countries have fulfilled this condition and have thus been recommended for graduation. The recommendation has been sent to ECOSOC (the UN Economic and Social Council) for endorsement, which in turn will refer its decision to the UN General Assembly.
- Which country has announced a $50 million donation to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA)?
4. Saudi Arabia
5. BahrainAnswer – 1. Qatar
Qatar has announced a $50 million donation to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA). The government communications office and Qatari Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that, the donation was announced at the extraordinary ministerial meeting of UNRWA held in Rome, Italy. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was present at the extraordinary ministerial meeting of UNRWA. Qatar has also stated that, it has continued providing financial support to projects implemented by the UNRWA, mainly in the field of education and health.
- Which country informed the UN Secretary-General its withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC)?
5. DubaiAnswer – 4. Philippines
Philippines informed the UN Secretary-General its withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC). Teodoro Locsin, permanent representative of Philippines to the UN, submitted a letter stating Philippines’ withdrawal from ICC to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres. The letter stated that, Philippines was withdrawing from the Rome Statute. The Rome Statute set up the ICC in 1998. Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte stated that, Philippines withdraws from ICC due to baseless and outrageous attacks by ICC against him and his administration. ICC had attempted to investigate Rodrigo Duterte on his anti-drugs campaign earlier.
- Indian Government signed a $120 million loan agreement with which International Financial Institution for improving rail infrastructure which will enhance operational efficiency of Indian railways?
1. World Bank
3. New Development Bank
4. Asian Development Bank
5. UNOAnswer – 4. Asian Development Bank
Indian Government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) have signed a $120 million loan agreement for improving rail infrastructure which will enhance operational efficiency of Indian railways. $120 million loan is the third tranche of $500 million multi-tranche financing facility for the Railway Sector Investment Program approved by the ADB Board in 2011. $120 million procured as third tranche will be used to complete ongoing works for double-tracking and electrification of railway tracks along high-density corridors. In context of this news, High density corridors refers to busy freight and passenger routes in the states of Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. It also includes “Golden Quadrilateral” corridor that connects Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi.
- In wake of several scams unearthed at public sector banks, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued a Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework aimed at maintaining the sound financial health of banks. Which of the below given banks are brought under PCA by RBI in past 10 months?
1. IDBI Bank, Dena Bank
2. Bank of Maharashtra, Central Bank of India
3. UCO Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce
4. Bank of India, Allahabad Bank
5. All the aboveAnswer – 5. All the above
In wake of several scams unearthed at public sector banks, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued a Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework aimed at maintaining the sound financial health of banks. The PCA framework stipulates risk thresholds for key areas such as capital, profitability and asset quality (tracked in terms of the net Non-Performing Assets ratio). On breach of any of these thresholds, the bank in particular, will be mandatorily required to take corrective measures in a timely manner. In past 10 months, public sector banks that have been brought under PCA by RBI are IDBI Bank, Dena Bank, Bank of Maharashtra, Central Bank of India, UCO Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, Indian Overseas Bank, Bank of India, Allahabad Bank, Corporation Bank and United Bank of India.
- A commodity exchange is liable to exit if there has been no trading operation on its platform for more than _________ months?
5. TwentyAnswer – 4. Twelve
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI), the regulator for the securities market in India has allowed the Universal Commodity Exchange (UCX) to discontinue operations as a commodity exchange. UCX had attained recognition as a multi-commodity exchange in 2012. However, board of UCX had suspended trading operations with effect from July 16, 2014 on account of drastic decline in trading volume and did not make attempts for revival thereafter. SEBI has allowed UCX to exit in accordance with its January 2016 circular laying out the mandatory requirements for exit of a commodity derivatives exchange. As per the circular, a commodity exchange is liable to exit if there has been no trading operation on its platform for more than twelve months.
- Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi inaugurated the first ‘Startup hub’ of Bihar in ______?
4. Bodh Gaya
5. KishanganjAnswer – 2. Patna
Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi inaugurated the first ‘Startup hub’ of Bihar in Patna. Sushil Kumar Modi said that, work station and office space along with free of cost “plug and play” facility will be offered to 31 startup companies in the startup hub. He said that, the startup hub will be developed as a common facility centre. He also said that, policy and structural reforms to encourage IT enable services and ESDM (Electronics System Design and Manufacturing) in Bihar had been recently initiated.
- Which country is the largest arms supplier to India as per report produced by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI)?
5. ChinaAnswer – 3. Russia
Russia continues to be the largest arms supplier to India as per report produced by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI). Russia remains India’s biggest arms seller so far. But its share of total imports has decreased. The report was made by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI). Second biggest supplier is United States. It provides 15 per cent of India’s weapon imports. Third biggest supplier is Israel amounting to 11 per cent of India’s imports during the 2013-17 calendar years. Fourth biggest supplier is France contributing to 4.6 per cent of India’s imports in the last five years.
- With an objective to secure a better future for the Kashmiri youth, Indian Army under the aegis of Chinar Corps has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with National Integrity and Educational Development Organisation (NIEDO) and _________________?
1. Airport Authority of India
3. Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
5. ONGCAnswer – 3. Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
With an objective to secure a better future for the Kashmiri youth, Indian Army under the aegis of Chinar Corps has signed Memorandums of Understanding (MoU) with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) and National Integrity and Educational Development Organisation (NIEDO). As per the terms of the MoU, Kanpur-based educational trust National Integrity and Educational Development Organisation (NIEDO) will provide quality faculty for professional coaching of Kashmir Youth, while HPCL will be the corporate partner for this project. Indian Army’s role will be to oversee the entire project including administration, logistics and security. Coaching for first batch will commence from June 1, 2018.
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Dr Jitendra Singh, awarded a Certificate of Appreciation to Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MDWS) for implementation of __________?
1. e-petition filing software
2. e-office software
3. Mobile App
4. Water availability in all states
5. None of the aboveAnswer – 2. e-office software
Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Dr Jitendra Singh, awarded a Certificate of Appreciation to Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation (MDWS) for implementation of e-office software. Satyabrata Sahu, Joint Secretary and Mrs Seemantinee Sengupta, Senior Technical Director, HOD, NIC-MDWS received the award at an event held at the Ministry of Personnel, Grievances and Pension. e-Office is one of the projects under the Digital India programme. e-Office enables ‘paper-less’ operations in offices. The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has made 100 % use of e-Office. It implemented the e-office software in 2014 in its offices.
- Who was reappointed the president of China?
1. Patsy Mink
2. Norman Mineta
3. Wang Qishan
4. Xi Jinping
5. Bob MatsulAnswer – 4. Xi Jinping
On 17th March 2018, Xi Jinping was reappointed as president and Wang Qishan as vice president of China. The National People’s Congress has appointed Xi Jinping as China’s president and Wang Qishan as vice president. The National People’s Congress recently removed the two-term limit for Chinese President. Hence Xi Jinping can serve as President without any term limit. Wang Qishan who has been made Chinese Vice President, is a well-known economic reformer and a close ally of Xi Jinping.
- In a bid to strengthen the prediction and response capability of the Disaster Management Authority, which state Government has decided to collaborate with ‘Regional Integrated Multi-hazard Early Warning System’ (RIMES)?
4. Tamil Nadu
5. MaharashtraAnswer – 1. Odisha
In a bid to strengthen the prediction and response capability of the Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA), Odisha State Government has decided to collaborate with ‘Regional Integrated Multi-hazard Early Warning System’ (RIMES). A meeting was held between Odisha Chief Secretary Aditya Prasad Padhi, OSDMA managing director Bishnupada Sethi and ffficials of RIMES to discuss technical and methodological aspects of the system. RIMES is owned and managed by 45 collaborating countries in the Asia Pacific and Africa Region. Currently, India holds the Chair of Rimes. Analysis of huge data generated from automatic weather stations installed at gram panchayat level, early warning and preparedness for lightening, heat wave, flood, draught and tsunami have been identified as major areas of collaboration between OSDMA and RIMES.
- Name the mobile app CISF (Central Industrial Security Force) has introduced, using which travellers can lodge complaints to recover items they lost or forgot at airports.
1. CISF App
2. Travellers App
3. Find the Lost
4. Lost and Found
5. Recovery AppAnswer – 4. Lost and Found
CISF (Central Industrial Security Force) has introduced ‘Lost and Found’, a mobile app using which travellers can lodge complaints to recover items they lost or forgot at airports.
Available at: The ‘Lost and Found’ app can be downloaded from the website of Information and Technology Ministry.
Advantage: Passengers can directly register complaints and check status of their complaint instantly for airports under the coverage of CISF. Also, users can request technical consultancy offered by CISF using the mobile app.
- In which state, a new species of water strider named ‘Ptilomera nagalanda Jehamalar and Chandra’ has been discovered by scientists of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI)?
5. VadodaraAnswer – 2. Nagaland
A new species of water strider named ‘Ptilomera nagalanda Jehamalar and Chandra’ has been discovered in Nagaland by scientists of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI). Ptilomera nagalanda Jehamalar and Chandra was discovered in Intanki river, Peren district. Ventral part of its body is pale yellowish brown in colour. It has orange with black stripes on the dorsal side. Its legs are 11.79 mm long. This discovery has been published in the Zootaxa science journal. This discovery has increased the number of species of water striders under the subgenus Ptilomera in India to six.
- FIFA lifted its three-decade ban on which country in hosting international football matches?
5. IraqAnswer – 5. Iraq
FIFA lifted its three-decade ban on Iraq hosting international football matches, allowing Arbil, Basra and Karbala cities to host official matches. Iraq will host a friendly tournament between Qatar and Syria on 21st March 2018 in Basra. FIFA President Gianni Infantino said that, FIFA has allowed Iraq to host international matches but organisers of the championship should take the final decision. FIFA said that, still it cannot allow matches to be held in Baghdad, capital of Iraq. But Gianni Infantino assured that application for hosting matches in Baghdad will be studied.
- Who has been named the ‘Cricketer of the Year’ in the 6th edition of Wisden India Almanack that has been released recently?
1. Mitchell Starc
2. Cheteshwar Pujara
3. KL Rahul
4. Murali Vijay
5. Ajinkya RahaneAnswer – 3. KL Rahul
KL Rahul has been named the ‘Cricketer of the Year’ in the 6th edition of Wisden India Almanack that has been released recently. The Almanack honured India’s women cricketers. It featured their World Cup celebration as cover picture. Deepti Sharma, Indian woman cricketer, is one of the ‘Cricketers of the Year’. Another Indian woman cricketer Shantha Rangaswamy has been inducted into the Wisden India Hall of Fame. Priyank Panchal, Hasan Ali and Tamim Iqbal have also been named Cricketers of the Year. More than 900 pages of essays, commentary, statistics, portraits and images have been included in the Wisden India Almanack.
- M Sukumaran recently passed away. Who was he?
5. WriterAnswer – 5. Writer
M Sukumaran, a renowned Malayalam writer, died after suffering from heart related ailments, at the Sri Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. M Sukumaran was 76 years old. He had received the Kendra Sahitiya Akademi and Keral Sahitiya awards. His popular short stories are: Sangaganam, Unarthupattu, Pithrutharpan and Sheshakriya.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is the headquarters of Federal Bank located?Kochi, Kerala
- Neyyar Dam is in which state?Kerala
- Bhimbandh Wildlife Sanctuary is in which state?Bihar
- Where is the headquarters of Asian Development Bank located?Manila, Philippines
- What is the capital of Bhutan?Thimphu