AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs March 14 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Which city of India has the highest fixed broadband download speed among 20 largest cities of India?
5. PuneAnswer – 4.Chennai
According to a study titled ‘India’s digital divide: how broadband speed splits the nation’ by Ookla, Chennai has the highest fixed broadband download speed among 20 largest cities of India.In context of this news, it is important to note that for February 2018, with fixed broadband average download speed at 20.72 Mbps, India ranked 67th in the world on Speedtest Global Index.Ookla’s study on India is based on February 2018 data from real consumer-initiated tests taken using Speedtest.Speedtest by Ookla (Seattle, US-headquartered firm) provides independent insight into the speed and quality of mobile and fixed broadband connections.
- As per 5th edition of the Annual Survey of India’s City-Systems (ASICS) by Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy, which Indian city is on the top to show improvement in quality of governance in 2017?
5. PuneAnswer – 5.Pune
As per fifth edition of the Annual Survey of India’s City-Systems (ASICS) by Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy, Pune is the top city to show improvement in quality of governance in 2017.The survey was administered in 23 major cities across 20 Indian states and contained 89 questions.ASICS measures the preparedness of city administration to deliver high quality standards, political leadership at the city level, municipal finance & staffing, and transparency & citizen participation.The 89 questions in the survey were placed under four broad categories viz. urban planning & design, transparency – accountability – participation, urban capacities & resources and empowered & legitimate political representation.Response to the questions was registered on a scale of 0-10.
- ______________ upheld judgements given by Madras High Court and Bombay High Court that foreign law firms cannot practice in India.
3. Supreme Court
4. Lok Sabha
5. Rajya SabhaAnswer – 3. Supreme Court
Supreme Court of India upheld judgements given by Madras High Court and Bombay High Court that foreign law firms cannot practice in India.Supreme Court bench comprising Justices Adarsh K Goel and Uday U Lalit barred foreign law firms and foreign lawyers practising in India for both litigatious (likely to engage in lawsuits) as well as non-litigatious activities.This judgement takes into consideration Bar Council of India Rules (BCI) that the Indian laws are of specialised nature and only those who have a exhaustive and holistic idea of its functioning, are permitted to practice law by it.However, Supreme Court has allowed foreign lawyers to ‘fly in fly out’ to advise on foreign law.Besides, foreign lawyers have been allowed to appear in International Commercial Arbitration (mode of resolving commercial disputes arising between private parties on account of cross- borders transactions).
- Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with which organisation for enhanced cooperation in health sector?
3. World Health Organization
4. World Bank
5. UNOAnswer – 3.World Health Organization
Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and World Health Organization (WHO) signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) for enhanced cooperation in health sector.The agreement was signed by Lav Agarwal, Joint Secretary (International Health) and Dr.TedrosAdhanom Ghebreyesus, the Director General of WHO in New Delhi. Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare J.P. Nadda was also present during the signing ceremony.The MoA is expected to strengthen collaborative work between Indian Government and WHO in achieving improved health outcomes.
- Which State Government has proposed an insurance scheme for journalists and their families in State budget for the year 2018-19?
4. Andhra Pradesh
5. KarnatakaAnswer – 2.Assam
Assam State Government has proposed an insurance scheme for journalists and their families in State budget for the year 2018-19.This announcement was made by Assam Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma during presentation of state budget for 2018-19 in the assembly on March 12, 2018.Mr. Sarma stated that for the year 2018-19, budgetary allocation of Rs 63crore has been earmarked for the Information and Public Relations Department that would implement schemes for journalists in Assam.This ‘Journalist Insurance Scheme would ensure security and protection of the journalists and their families.As announced in last year’s budget, Assam State Government has already introduced Pension Scheme for Journalists to provide retirement benefits to those journalists who have been working for more than 20 years in Assam.
- In which state, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) will set up a multi-skill centre?
1. West Bengal
5. SikkimAnswer – 1.West Bengal
Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) announced that it will set up a multi-skill centre in Darjeeling, West Bengal.Announcement in this regard was made by CII Director General Chandrajit Banerjee at the inaugural session of the two-day Darjeeling Business Summit.CII will set up this multi-skill centre in Darjeeling in partnership with the Gorkha Territorial Administration.This multi-skill centre will initially impart training in hospitality, beauty and wellness and healthcare.
- Which State government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Tata Trusts for implementing the state’s decision on land rights settlement for slum dwellers in urban areas?
3. West Bengal
5. OdishaAnswer – 5.Odisha
Odisha State government and Tata Trusts signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for implementing the state’s decision on land rights settlement for slum dwellers in urban areas. The MoU was signed in presence of Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who directed all district collectors and concerned government officials to accord top priority to this work.Seven months ago, Odisha State Government took a historic decision to discontinue the practice of evicting slum dwellers in urban areas (by treating them as encroachers), and granted them land rights.As per the terms of the MoU, Tata Trusts will provide technical support to Odisha State Government in implementing this decision.
- Name the states in which the Government has constituted ‘Field Inspection and Scientific Evaluation Committee (FISEC)’ to investigate into illegal cultivation of HT (Herbicide Tolerant) cotton.
1. Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Gujarat and Maharashtra
2. Andhra Pradesh, Sikkim, Gujarat and Odisha
3. Arunachal Pradesh, Telangana, Gujarat and Karnataka
4. Madhya Pradesh, Sikkim, Gujarat and Nagaland
5. Kerala, Rajasthan, Manipur and NagalandAnswer – 1.Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Gujarat and Maharashtra
Minister of State for Textiles Ajay Tamta said that, the government has constituted ‘Field Inspection and Scientific Evaluation Committee (FISEC)’ to investigate into illegal cultivation of HT (Herbicide Tolerant) cotton in 4 states. Ajay Tamta said that, the government had received several entries insisting on ban of illegal cultivation of HT or BG-III cotton in India.Several complaints regarding illegal and unauthorised cultivation of HT cotton in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Gujarat and Maharashtrahave been received.He said that, a Field Inspection and Scientific Evaluation Committee (FISEC) has been formed by Department of Biotechnology in the Ministry of Science and Technology. This committee will conduct investigation on illegal cultivation of HT cotton. He also added that, the cultivation of BG-III or HT cotton does not have the approval of Genetic Engineering Approval Committee (GEAC) of the Ministry of Environment.
- C-17 Globemaster, the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) largest transport aircraft, made a historic landing at Tuting Advanced Landing Ground (ALG) in__________?
2. Arunachal Pradesh
5. MaharashtraAnswer – 2.Arunachal Pradesh
On 13th March 2018, C-17 Globemaster, the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) largest transport aircraft, made a historic landing at Tuting Advanced Landing Ground (ALG) in Arunachal Pradesh.The landing of C-17 Globemaster is consideredas a move by IAF to strengthen its operations in the important border region. The landing ground is just 30 km away from China. After the trial landing, C-17 Globemaster performed an operational mission, airlifting 18 tonnes of load into the airfield.The flight crew consisted of Group Captain K Rama Rao, Wing Commander Amiya Kant Patnaik, Wing Commander K Trivedi and Squadron Leader L Nayak.
- International Air Transport Association (IATA) said that, it has signed a MoU with the Ministry of Civil Aviation and ______________ to improve human resource availability in India’s aviation industry?
1. National Aviation University
2. National Life Science University
3. University of Applied Sciences
4. University Grants Commission
5. National Aerospace UniversityAnswer – 1.National Aviation University
International Air Transport Association (IATA) said that, it has signed a MoU with the Ministry of Civil Aviation and National Aviation University to improve human resource availability in India’s aviation industry. The three parties formalised this partnership in the presence of Jayant Sinha, Minister of State for Civil Aviation at the Wings India 2018 event in Hyderabad.This MoU also aims in developing better academic cooperation between IATA and National Aviation University.As per the MoU, the institutions will also utilize the existing infrastructure for training in India to improve the reach of vocational training in aviation sector.
- India has ranked _____ out of 156 countries in the World Happiness Report 2018.
5. 133rdAnswer – 5.133rd
India has ranked 133rd out of 156 countries in the World Happiness Report 2018.World Happiness report is an annual report published by the U.N. Sustainable Development Solutions Network.It was first published in 2012.The World Happiness Report 2018 ranks 156 countries by their happiness levels and 117 countries by the happiness of their immigrants.Rankings of country happiness in World Happiness Report 2018 are based on the pooled results from Gallup World Poll surveys from 2015-2017.Variables on which average happiness across countries has been derived are – GDP Per Capita, Social Support, Healthy Life Expectancy at birth, Freedom to make life choices, Generosity and Perceptions of corruption.
- Which country’s cabinet approved the national policy of the atomic energy program?
4. Saudi Arabia
5. DubaiAnswer – 4.Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia’s cabinet approved the national policy of the atomic energy program. The national policy limits all nuclear activities to peaceful purposes, within the limits drawn by international treaties.It also highlights the need for optimal utilization of natural resources from nuclear materials and usage of best practices for radioactive waste management.Riyadh had invited US companies to participate in developing Saudi Arabia’s first atomic energy programme.
- What the quasi bank guarantee instruments scrapped by RBI inorder to plug the loopholes in the trade finance activities of banks?
1. Letter of Undertaking (LoU) and Government Securities
2. Letter of Undertaking (LoU) and Letter of Comfort (LoC)
3. Letter of Comfort (LoC) and Government Securities (GS)
4. Letter of Undertaking (LoU) and Revolving Money (RM)
5. Letter of Comfort (LoC) and Letter of Credit (LoC)Answer – 2.Letter of Undertaking (LoU) and Letter of Comfort (LoC)
In a bid to plug the loopholes in the trade finance activities of banks, Reserve Bank of India has scrapped quasi bank guarantee instruments such as the Letter of Undertaking (LoU) and Letter of Comfort (LoC).This decision has been taken in wake of Rs. 14000 crore PNB fraud, the modus operandi of which revolved around the unauthorised use of LoU by bank officials. A LoU is a promise by the issuing bank to the counter bank (the bank which encashes the LoU) to pay in case of default by the one on whose behalf it was issued. In Nirav Modi’s case, PNB had issued the LoU and will thus have to pay to other banks where Nirav Modi had encashed those LoUs.Just like LoUs, LoCs were being widely issued by domestic branches of Indian banks for customers to avail trade credit from foreign branches of other Indian banks.With these two instruments being discontinued, Indian Banks will rely more on letter of credit for trade purposes. Letter of Credit is comparatively more secure as it carries transaction details such as purchase by the importer, date of issue and the material purchased.
- Lok Sabha passed the crucial Finance Bill 2018 and Appropriation Bill for the next fiscal year i.e. 2018-19. By what method both these bills were passed?
1. Secret Ballot
2. Casting Vote
3. Physical Count
4. Recording of votes by distribution of slips
5. Voice VoteAnswer – 5. Voice Vote
Lok Sabha passed the crucial Finance Bill 2018 and Appropriation Bill for the next fiscal year i.e. 2018-19. Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley moved 21 amendments to the Bill containing taxation proposals for 2018-19. The Appropriation Bill lists outspending plans for 99 government ministries and departments for the year 2018-19. Both these bills were approved by voice vote. Both these bills will now be sent to Rajya Sabha. However, as these are money bills, if Rajya Sabha does not return them to the Lok Sabha within 14 days, they would be considered as approved.
- Boeing and TAL Manufacturing Solutions (TAL) signed a new contract to manufacture advanced composite floor beams for Boeing’s 787-9/10 Dreamliners at TAL’s facility in which Indian city?
5. KanpurAnswer – 3. Nagpur
Boeing and TAL Manufacturing Solutions (TAL) signed a new contract to manufacture advanced composite floor beams for Boeing’s 787-9/10 Dreamliners at TAL’s facility in Nagpur. Boeing signed its first contract with TAL for manufacturing floor beams in October 2011. This new contract is for ACF (advanced composite floor) beams for the B 787-9 and 787-10 Dreamliners. Boeing India president Pratyush Kumar said that, Boeing provides advanced technology support for this project with TAL.
- Bidya Devi Bhandari was re-elected for a second term as the President of which country?
5. PakistanAnswer – 3. Nepal
Bidya Devi Bhandari was re-elected for a second term as President of Nepal. Bidya Devi Bhandari became the first woman president of Nepal in 2015. She is 56 years old.
Votes: Bidya Devi Bhandari who secured 39,275 votes defeated Kumari Laxmi Rai of Nepali Congress who obtained 11,730 votes in the presidential election.
Alliance: Bidya Devi Bhandari was supported by the alliance of CPN-UML and CPN (Maoist Centre), the Sanghiya Samajbadi Forum-Nepal etc.
- US President Donald Trump has nominated whom for the position of CIA Director?
1. John Thune
2. John Barraso
3. Roy Blunt
4. Cory Gardner
5. Gina HaspelAnswer – 5. Gina Haspel
US President Donald Trump has nominated Gina Haspel for the position of CIA Director. Gina Haspel was once reported to have run a secret prison in Thailand where the inmates were allegedly subjected to harsh interrogation techniques. Donald Trump recently removed Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and replaced him with CIA Director Mike Pompeo. He has nominated Gina Haspel for the position of CIA Director. Now the Senate must vote to confirm Gina Haspel as CIA director. She is 61 years old. She joined the CIA in 1985. If her selection as CIA director is confirmed she’ll become the first woman director of CIA.
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) was awarded the International Kochon Prize 2017 for promoting research and development (R&D) in tuberculosis treatment. What was the cash prize awarded to ICMR?
5. $80,000Answer – 2. $65,000
Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) was awarded the International Kochon Prize 2017 for promoting research and development (R&D) in tuberculosis treatment. ICMR was presented a cash prize of $65,000 by the Kochon Foundation. Kochon Foundation is a non-profit organisation based in Korea. ICMR has been honored by Kochon Foundation for setting up of the India TB Research Consortium to encourage R&D efforts in India. The TB consortium works with public and private institutes to develop point-of-care diagnostics, shorter treatment regimens and effective vaccine for tuberculosis.
- An India-UK Joint Team has won the Newton-Bhabha Fund for a project on Groundwater Arsenic Research conducted in which river basin?
1. Ganga River Basin
2. Yamuna River Basin
3. Godavari River Basin
4. Damodar River Basin
5. Son River BasinAnswer – 1. Ganga River Basin
An India-UK Joint Team has won the Newton-Bhabha Fund for a project on Groundwater Arsenic Research in Ganga River Basin. The Department of Science and Technology, India and Natural Environment Research Council, UK, have undertaken this project jointly. Purpose of the project: to develop solutions to the water issues faced in Arsenic-affected Ganga River Basin. Indian Team: consists of representatives of IIT Kharagpur, National Institute of Hydrology, IIT Roorkee and Mahavir Cancer Sansthan and Research Centre of Patna. The project will focus on studying the arsenic poisoning issue and the effect it will create in the next 25 to 30 years and will recommend water remedial technologies. Prof Abhijit Mukherjee will lead the project at IIT Kharagpur. He said that initially the project will be conducted in 3 sites – Bijnor and Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh and Nadia in West Bengal.
- Stephen Hawking passed away recently. Who was he?
5. LawyerAnswer – 2. Scientist
On 14th March 2018, renowned British Scientist Stephen Hawking passed away at his residence in Cambridge, England. Stephen Hawking was 76 years old. He was well known for his work on black holes and relativity. He had also written several science books such as A Brief History of Time. He was diagnosed with a rare form of motor neurone disease when he was 22 years old. The disease left him paralyzed and he started dwelling on a wheelchair. He lost his ability to speak and started communicating through a voice synthesiser. He discovered that, black holes leak energy and fade to nothing. This phenomenon is referred to as Hawking radiation.
- Jayendra Nath Chaturvedi recently passed away. Who was he?
5. DieticianAnswer – 4. Police
On 12th March 2018, Jayendra Nath Chaturvedi, first Commissioner of Delhi Police and former Director General of Uttar Pradesh Police, died in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. Jayendra Nath Chaturvedi is a 1951 batch officer. He served as Chairman of the Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC). He was the first Commissioner of Police in Delhi during the 1978 to 1980 period.
- Narendra Jha recently passed away. Who was he?
5. JournalistAnswer – 1. Actor
On 14th March 2018, Bollywood actor Narendra Jha died due to a massive heart attack at his farmhouse in Maharashtra. Narendra Jha was 55 years old. He was born in Madhubani, Bihar. He started his career with the television industry. He has acted in several Bollywood films. Some of his popular works are: Haider, Kaabil, Mohenjo Daro, Ghayal Once Again, Raees, etc.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Which country topped World Happiness Report 2018?Finland
- Nagarjuna Sagar Dam was built on which river?Krishna River
- Where is Anthropological Museum located?Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- Central Intelligence Agency was formed in the year?1945
- Who is the Current Governor of Odisha?S.C. Jamir