AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs March 1 Quiz 2018 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) beyond the 12th Plan period (2012-2017) for three years up to 2019-20. What is the fund allocated for this purpose?
1. Rs 4000 crore
2. Rs 4500 crore
3. Rs 5000 crore
4. Rs 5500 crore
5. Rs 6000 croreAnswer – 4. Rs 5500 crore
Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) beyond the 12th Plan period (2012-2017) for three years up to 2019-20. PMEGP is a credit linked subsidy programme for generation of employment opportunities through establishment of micro enterprises in rural as well as urban areas. Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is the nodal implementation agency for implementation of PMEGP at national level. Extending this programme for another three years will generate sustainable employment opportunities for 15 lakh persons. The programme has been continued with a total outlay of Rs 5500 crore.
- India has signed MoU with which country, to enhance best practices in the administration of contractual employment, implementing latest reforms in recruitment processes and enhance the protection and welfare of Indian workers who are working in that country?
2. South Africa
5. ArgentinaAnswer – 1. Jordan
Objective of this memorandum of understanding (MoU) is to enhance collaboration between India and Jordan in promoting best practices in the administration of contractual employment, implementing latest reforms in recruitment processes and enhance the protection and welfare of Indian workers in Jordan.As per the terms of the MoU, India and Jordan will collaborate to use online portal for recruitment of Indian manpower. Usage of online portal will increase transparency and curb malpractices in the recruitment process. This MoU will be valid for a period of five years.
- King Abdullah II of which country visited India on a three-day official visit from February 27, 2018 to March 1, 2018?
3. Saudi Arabia
5. JordanAnswer – 5. Jordan
King Abdullah II of Jordan was on a three-day official visit to India from February 27, 2018 to March 1, 2018. On March 1, 2018, India and Jordan signed following 12 agreements in New Delhi in presence of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and King Abdullah II of Jordan.
MoU on Defence Cooperation: This MoU defines the scope of Defence cooperation between India and Jordan and enlists provisions for implementation of cooperation in some of the recognized areas like training; counter-terrorism; defence industry; military studies; military medical services, peace-keeping etc.
Visa waiver for diplomatic and official passport holders: This agreement will permit diplomats and Official passport holders of India and Jordan to enter, exit and transit through each other’s territory without requirement of visa.
- Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman gave approval to Capital Acquisition Proposals of the Services and Coast Guard valued at approximately Rs._________?
1. 8135 crore
2. 9405 crore
3. 9435 crore
4. 9930 crore
5. 9999 croreAnswer – 3. 9435 crore
Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman gave approval to Capital Acquisition Proposals of the Services and Coast Guard valued at approximately Rs. 9435 crore. Capital Acquisition Proposals that have been approved includes procurement of 41000 Light Machine Guns and over 3.5 Lakh Close Quarter Battle Carbines. 75 percent of the above mentioned quantities will be procured through Indian Industry under ‘Buy & Make (Indian)’ category and balance 25 percent through Ordinance Factory Board. Approval has also been granted for procurement of essential quantity of High Capacity Radio Relay for the Indian Army and Indian Air Force. Two Pollution Control Vessels will also be acquired, which will be used by Indian Coast Guard to undertake pollution control measures off the East Coast and Island Territories.
- Which state government has decided to establish State Sanskrit Education Council to improve formal education of Sanskrit in the state?
5. DelhiAnswer – 5. Delhi
Delhi government has decided to establish State Sanskrit Education Council to improve formal education of Sanskrit in Delhi. Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia has ordered the education department to go through representations received by Delhi government regarding Sanskrit education in schools and colleges. He said that, the education department will study the representations and take necessary steps to form a Delhi State Sanskrit Education Council.
- Name the Union territory that joined UDAY (Scheme Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana) Scheme recently?
1. Union territory of Lakshadweep
2. Union territory of Delhi
3. Union territory of Andaman & Nicobar
5. GujaratAnswer – 1. Union territory of Lakshadweep
On 28th February 2018, the Union territory of Lakshadweep joined UDAY (Scheme Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana) Scheme. On 28th February 2018, the Union Territory of Lakshadweep and the Government of India signed a MoU under the UDAY Scheme. This will ensure operational turnaround of Lakshadweep’s Electricity Department. Lakshadweep will receive an overall net benefit of around Rs. 8 crore through the UDAY Scheme. This will be achieved by cheaper funds, reduction in AT&C (Aggregate Technical and Commercial) losses, interventions in energy efficiency, etc. The Central Government will help Lakshadweep in improving Power infrastructure which will result in further reduction of the cost of power.
- Government has decided to consolidate how many overseas Operations of the PSU’s (public sector banks)?
5. 41Answer – 3. 35
Union Finance Ministry released a roadmap for consolidation of overseas operations of public sector banks. This decision seems like a tightening measure in wake of Rs. 12636 crore scam unearthed at Punjab Bank National (PNB). However, Finance Ministry officials have called it a move to attain cost efficiencies and synergies in the overseas market. As of now, the plan is to consolidate at least 35 overseas operations of the PSBs while another 69 overseas operations have been identified for further examination. It is to be noted that currently, there are 216 PSB operations including 165 overseas branches. Besides, there are subsidiaries, joint ventures and representative offices. State Bank of India (SBI) has the highest number of overseas branches (52), followed by Bank of Baroda (50) and Bank of India (29). In terms of Country-wise presence, PSBs have largest number of branches in United Kingdom (32) followed by Hong Kong and UAE (13 each) and Singapore (12).
- In which state, the Avaada Power Pvt Ltd had planned to invest Rs 3,500 crore to establish 500 MW solar projects?
5. Andhra PradeshAnswer – 5. Andhra Pradesh
Avaada Power Pvt Ltd, stated that, it will invest Rs 3,500 crore to establish 500 MW solar projects in Andhra Pradesh. An agreement regarding this was signed at the ‘CII Partnership Summit 2018’ in Vishakhapatnam. Avaada Power said that, the utility-scale solar projects will produce clean energy sufficient to sustainably power more than 2.4 million houses in Andhra Pradesh. This investment by Avaada Power would create over 1,200 job opportunities. Andhra Pradesh has a planned to achieve a goal of 18 GW of renewable energy capacities by 2021-22.
- In which Indian city, Tata Boeing Aerospace Ltd (TBAL) inaugurated the facility to manufacture fuselages for the AH-64 Apache helicopter?
5. MysoreAnswer – 2. Hyderabad
Tata Boeing Aerospace Ltd (TBAL) inaugurated facility to manufacture fuselages for the AH-64 Apache helicopter in Hyderabad. Tata Boeing Aerospace Ltd (TBAL) is a joint venture of Boeing Co. and Tata Advanced Systems Ltd (TASL). The facility has been established on an area of 14,000 square metres. 350 workers have been employed at the facility. This facility will be the only global producer of fuselages for AH-64 Apache helicopter delivered by Boeing. Secondary structures and vertical spar boxes for AH-64 Apache helicopter will also be produced in this facility. The first fuselage would be delivered in 2018. The facility was inaugurated by Union Defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Telangana minister for Industries and IT, KT Rama Rao.
- Who was appointed the new Secretary, Higher Education, in the Ministry of Human Resource Development?
1. R K Narayanan
2. R Subramanyam
3. Senthil Nathan
4. Raphael Geeth
5. Sonal MonikaAnswer – 2. R Subramanyam
R Subramanyam has been appointed the new Secretary, Higher Education, in the Ministry of Human Resource Development. A major bureaucratic reshuffle was done on 28th February 2018. R Subrahmanyam is a 1985-batch IAS officer from Andhra Pradesh cadre. He was Special Secretary in the Higher Education department. He succeeds K K Sharma. C Chandramouli has been appointed the new Secretary, Department of Personnel and Training in the Personnel ministry. Chandramouli is a 1985-batch IAS officer from Tamil Nadu cadre. Earlier, he was Registrar General of India and Census Commissioner. Tarun Sridhar has been appointed the new Secretary, Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairy and Fisheries. He is a 1984-batch IAS officer from Himachal Pradesh cadre.
- Who has been named the next Ambassador of India to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan?
1. Vijaya Singh
2. Vinay Kumar
3. Mohammed Thoufeq
4. Mohammed Rasool
5. Sherif SuraenderAnswer -2. Vinay Kumar
Vinay Kumar has been named the next Ambassador of India to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. Vinay Kumar is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) Officer of the 1992 batch. He is at present Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs. He has been appointed the next Ambassador of India to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. He will soon take charge as Ambassador of India to Afghanistan.
- Who was made the brand ambassador of Luminous Power Technologies for its new independent brand Amaze?
1. MS Dhoni
2. Hardik Pandya
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Virat Kohli
5. Virendar SehwagAnswer – 4. Virat Kohli
Luminous Power Technologies announced Virat Kohli as the brand ambassador for its new independent brand Amaze. Luminous Power Technologies also said that, it would invest Rs 150 crore in the upcoming 3 to 5 years in Amaze to develop it. Amaze will produce totally different products compared to that of Luminous. Amaze will focus on the unstructured battery market.
- The moon is about to get its first mobile phone network in 2019. Vodafone Germany, Nokia and Audi was jointly working to support this project. They have decided to build which network there?
5. None of the aboveAnswer – 3. 4G
The moon is about to get its first mobile phone network in 2019. On 27th February 2018, Vodafone Germany, Nokia and Audi said that, they were jointly working to support this project. Vodafone has appointed Nokia as its technology partner. Nokia would develop a space-grade network. PTScientists, a Berlin-based company, is also working on this project. A launch has been scheduled in 2019 from Cape Canaveral on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. It has been decided to build a 4G network, as work on the advanced 5G network is still in testing and trial stage.
- India successfully test-fired Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) Nag in desert conditions, at Pokhran’s field firing range in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. The ATGM Nag was developed by ___________?
5. DRDOAnswer – 5. DRDO
India successfully test-fired Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) Nag in desert conditions, at Pokhran’s field firing range in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. The ATGM Nag was developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). It was tested against two tank targets at different ranges and timings.Director General (Missiles and Strategic Systems) G Satheesh Reddy said that, the technologies of ATGM responsible for engaging targets in different conditions have been verified with the successful tests. The developmental trials of ATGM Nag are over and now it is ready for induction. ATGM NAG possesses advanced technologies like the Imaging infrared (IIR) Seeker with integrated avionics.
- Which state government launched “T App Folio”, a mobile governance application, for delivery of government to citizen (G2C) and business to citizen (B2C) services anytime and anywhere?
2. Andhra Pradesh
4. Tamil Nadu
5. ManipurAnswer – 1. Telangana
Telangana government launched “T App Folio”, a mobile governance application, for delivery of government to citizen (G2C) and business to citizen (B2C) services anytime and anywhere. Telangana IT Minister K T Rama Rao said that, Telangana has become the second state in India to launch a mobile governance application in place for provision of G2C services. T App Folio provides more than 150 services like MeeSeva services, RTA services, fee payments and bill payments, in the first phase. Informational services like MeeSeva centers, Ration shops, Hy-Fi hotspots are also available in the first phase of T App Folio. T App Folio will act as a platform to bring together all government departments. It has been launched in Telugu and English languages.
- Which company launched the world’s first 5G commercial chip?
5. HFCLAnswer – 2. Huawei
Huawei launched Huawei Balong 5G01, claimed to be world’s first 5G commercial chip. Huawei Balong 5G01 is said to be world’s first 3GPP 5G commercial chipset having peak rate of 2.3 GBPS (gigabit per second). Huawei is collaborating with 30 operators all over the world to deploy products based on Huawei Balong 5G01. Vodafone is also collaborating with Huawei for this. Huawei launched world’s first 5G CPE (consumer premise equipment or router) which will deliver broadband speed up to 2 Gbps on 5G network. It will also support 4G network.
- Which country was banned by International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 2014, to which, now the membership was restored in 2018?
5. CanadaAnswer – 2. Russia
Russia’s Olympic membership has been restored by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). Russia has got back its Olympic membership, following its suspension from 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics. Russia was banned by IOC due to state-sponsored doping during the Winter Olympics 2014 in Sochi. Still, 168 Russians participated in the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics as neutral participants. They participated as Olympic Athletes from Russia (OAR). It was the third largest team and bagged 17 medals. Except two participants from Russia, all others proved clean in the dope test conducted during the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics. IOC has restored Russia’s Olympic membership.
- Which city will host the 2020 Summer Olympics?
5. MumbaiAnswer – 3. Tokyo
On 28th February 2018, the Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, launched the superhero mascots for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, at the Kakezuka school in Tokyo. The winning Olympic and Paralympic mascots have not yet been named. The Olympic mascot has a futuristic blue and white chequered pattern. It is said to have a special power that enables it to move anywhere instantly. The Paralympic mascot has a pink and white design inspired by cherry blossoms. It is said to have special power to move things just by looking at them. Name for the mascots will be decided by the selection panel and a formal launch will be performed in July or August 2018. The mascots were selected through voting after designs were submitted.
- Name the para-swimmer who was suspended for 3 years by the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) due to allegations of recording videos of female para-swimmers at the National Championships 2017 in Jaipur?
1. Sharat Gayakwad
2. Devendra Jhajharia
3. Mariyapan Thangavelu
4. Deepa Malik
5. Prasanta KarmakarAnswer – 5. Prasanta Karmakar
Para-swimmer Prasanta Karmakar was suspended for 3 years by the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) due to allegations of recording videos of female para-swimmers at the National Championships 2017 in Jaipur. Prasanta Karmakar was the first Indian para-swimmer to participate and win a medal at the 2003 World Swimming Championships in Argentina. He had won bronze medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. He was India’s swimming coach for the 2016 Rio Paralympics. After receiving complaints from parents of female para-swimmers over video recording by Prasanta Karmakar, he was investigated and now has been suspended for 3 years by the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI).
- Arabinda Muduli passed away recently. Who was he?
5. LawyerAnswer – 2. Singer
Arabinda Muduli, Odia Bhajan singer, died following a cardiac arrest in Bhubaneswar. Arabinda Muduli was 56 years old. He was a musician, singer and lyricist. He sang devotional songs. He was born on 1 September 1961 at Khanati in Khordha district. He has delivered more than 3,000 songs. His popular bhajans are Kala Saante Acha Kemante and Jaga Pain Niti Mali Phula.
- In which state, the Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare inaugurated the World Rare Disease Day Conference 2018?
5. New DelhiAnswer – 5. New Delhi
On 28th February 2018, JP Nadda, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare inaugurated the World Rare Disease Day Conference 2018 in New Delhi. World Rare Disease Day is celebrated on the last day of February every year. World Rare Disease Day was first introduced by EURORDIS and its council of National Alliances in 2008. The theme for World Rare Disease Day 2018 is Research. World Rare Disease Day 2018 was observed on 28th February 2018. This day is observed to create awareness among public about rare diseases and their impact. At the World Rare Disease Day Conference 2018, a newsletter published by the “Indian Organisation of Rare diseases” was released. J P Nadda said that, the Indian government has developed a national policy for “rare diseases”.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Which is the first union territory to join UDAY scheme?Puducherry
- Which is the Capital of Macedonia?Skopje; Currency – Macedonian denar
- What is the Currency of Fiji?Fijian dollar
- Red River and Perfume River are in which country?Vietnam
- Who is the chairman of Vodafone?Gerard Kleisterlee