AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs July 12 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- On 12th July 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated ‘Dharohar Bhawan’, the new Headquarters building of the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) in which city?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.New Delhi
Minister of State for Culture(I/c) Dr. Mahesh Sharma praised ASI that takes care of nearly 3686 monuments in India. It also provides conservation services in countries like Afghanistan, Myanmar, Cambodia. He said that, in recent times 40 antiquities from Foreign countries have been retrieved and efforts to bring back 8 to 9 more antiquities are in process. The new Headquarters building has advanced facilities like energy efficient lighting and rainwater harvesting.
- On July 12, 2018, Niti Aayog has proposed 15-point action plan named “_____” for combating air pollution in ten most polluted cities in India?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Breathe India
The plan includes encouraging electric vehicles, phasing out private diesel vehicle and development of crop residue utilisation policy. It also includes expediting strategic decommissioning of old and inefficient power plants and implementation of a large-scale feebate programme from 2020 onwards. It mentions that all central government offices should replace existing fleets older than 15 years to electric vehicles in the next 3 years i.e. by 2021 April. It also pitched for encouraging electric two and three-wheelers, saying a scheme to convert existing ICE (internal combustion engine) autos into electric ones.
- On July 12, 2018, the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation in collaboration with which portal has launched a video contest titled “Jal Bachao, Video Banao, Puruskar Pao”?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.MyGov
This contest will be run by the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation in collaboration with MyGov portal of Government of India. In this contest, 3 winners will be chosen every fortnight. Any Indian citizen can upload their video entries on YouTube and enter the publicly accessible link on the Video link section of MyGov contest pagewww.mygov.in. The duration of the videos should be minimum 2 minutes and up to 10 minutes in Hindi, English or any other regional language and must not violate any provision of the Indian Copyright Act, 1957 or the Intellectual Property Rights of any third party.
- Which Ministry has launched a technology challenge with an aim to eliminate human entry into septic tanks and drains for cleaning, seeking suitable solutions from individuals and NGOs?
1.Ministry of Agriculture
2.Ministry of Science and Technology
3.Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
4.Ministry of Home Affairs
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
The challenge will be a part of the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention that will be held on 2nd October 2018. Proposals have been invited by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs from innovators, companies, academic institutions, research and development centers, NGOs and municipal bodies. Innovative technical solutions to eliminate the need for human entry into sewers are invited. The challenge aims to identify solutions and promote suitable techniques for cleaning of sewerage systems.
- On July 12, 2018, as per UIDAI, the estimated savings and gains since the inception of Aadhaar-based Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) stood at over ____ as on March 31,2018?
1.Rs 90012 crore
2.Rs 56888 crore
3.Rs 12789 crore
4.Rs 11567 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs 90012 crore
This was announced by chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) in a programme at India School of Business (ISB). 121 crore residents have so far enrolled for Aadhaar card and on an average over 30 million e-transactions are done using the identification system. Aadhaar data is completely safe and secure and is kept in about 7,000 servers in Bengaluru and Manesar. Improvements on research on Aadhar system in the areas of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning for fraud detection and the process of enrolment and security ecosystem are underway.
- On July 12, 2018, _____ approved the net neutrality rules implying internet will remain open to everybody in India?
1.Ministry of Communications
2.Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
4.Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Telecom Commission
This is in sync with the recommendations of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai). Earlier, barred telecom operators from offering differential pricing of data, putting an end to Facebook’s Free Basics and Airtel Zero. The regulator had recommended a change in the licence conditions to restrict any form of discrimination in Internet access based on content. The DoT will form a committee to identify critical services and come up with a separate regime for them which includes autonomous vehicles and digitized healthcare, certain types of traffic need to be prioritized.
- On July 12, 2018, which state government approved amendments in stringent provisions of the Prohibition and Excise Act 2016?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Bihar
This was done at a meeting of the state cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. This proposal would be would be tabled during the Monsoon Session of the state legislature scheduled on July 20. Earlier, both the owner and the occupant of a property or vehicle, from which liquor was seized, were liable to be punished. Under the Act, the minimum provision of punishment is jail term of 10 years up to life imprisonment; if liquor is found in a house, all members of the family above 18 years of age are deemed as guilty.
- On July 12, 2018, Andhra Pradesh Chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu inaugurated a canteen in Vijayawada to mark the launch of much-awaited ‘____ Canteens’ in various parts of the state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Anna
Total 60 ‘Anna Canteens’ were opened in the first phase across the state. These canteens are run by The Akshaya Patra Foundation in collaboration with the Municipal Administration and Civil Supplies Departments. As per contribution, Rs.6 lakhs has already been offered by officials and bureaucrats. The second phase of the project will have additional 143 canteens which will be opened by August 15.
- On July 12, 2018, which state Cabinet approved Information Technology policy 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Goa
It would aim on generation of 8,000-10,000 job opportunities at different levels during the next five years. The policy has a provision for developing a Technology Park, ready-to-move warm shells, plug-and-play facilities, incubation centres with training etc. for new and existing IT units. Incentives would be provided to the units that recruit pass-outs from technical institutes in Goa. Additional incentives would be given for recruitments made through the on-campus placements and for MNCs looking to start operations in Goa.
- Minister for Law & Justice and Electronics & IT, India, Ravi Shankar Prasad visited United Kingdom from 6th to 10th July 2018 at the invitation of Mr. David Gauke, Secretary of State for Justice, UK. The two Ministers signed a MoU for improving bilateral cooperation in _____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.legal affairs
Both the Ministers discussed on improving the exchange of legal practitioners on the basis of reciprocity as per the prevailing legal provisions in their respective countries. The two Ministers signed a MoU for improving bilateral cooperation in legal affairs which, also offers a framework for promoting greater co-operation between the judicial and legal professionals in both countries through exchange of expertise and training, exchange of information related to current issues of international significance. The MoU also involves establishment of a Joint Consultative Committee to enable such exchange.
- India has ranked ____ in the Global Innovation Index (GII) developed by Cornell University, the Paris-based business school Insead and the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) in Geneva?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.57
India has ranked as the 57th most innovative country in the world. India has improved its rank from 60th position in 2017. India has improved steadily since 2015 when it was ranked 81st. China has improved its rank from 22 in 2017 to 17 in 2018. GII ranks 126 economies on the basis of 80 indicators. This is the 11th edition of GII. Since 2011, Switzerland has been ranked on top every year. In 2018, it is followed by Netherlands at second spot and Sweden at third.
- On 12th July 2018, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed by the Indian Army and which bank on the Defence Salary Package?
3.State Bank of India
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.State Bank of India
The signing-in ceremony was chaired by the Director General (MP&PS), Lt Gen SK Saini. Senior officials of SBI headed by Ranjan Kumar Mishra, CGM (PB), Corporate Centre, State Bank Bhawan, Mumbai, were also present. In 2011, the first MoU between SBI and the Indian Army was signed. It was renewed on 23rd February 2015. The revised MoU is customized to meet the requirements of serving soldiers, pensioners and families.
- India has become the _____ shareholder of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.69th
This would enable more joint investment with Indian companies across EBRD’s regions of operation. The Indian government had applied for membership in the EBRD in December 2017. The EBRD board of governors that represents all the existing shareholders, voted unanimously in favour of India’s application in March 2018. Now, the entire membership process has been completed. Now, India takes a shareholding in the EBRD. But it will not be a recipient of EBRD financing.
- On 11th July 2018, IDBI Bank said that, it has increased its lending rates between 5 to 10 basis points for a few tenures, effective from 12th July 2018. Base rate of IDBI bank has been increased to _____ %?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.9.60
IDBI Bank has increased its one-year marginal cost of funds based lending rates (MCLR) by 10 basis point to 8.75% from 8.65 %.The six-month MCLR has been increased by 5 basis points to 8.50 % from 8.45 %.The three-month and three-year lending rates have been kept unchanged at 8.35 % and 8.80 %, respectively. It has reduced its overnight MCLR by 5 basis points to 7.95 % from 8 %. Base rate of IDBI bank has been increased to9.60 % from 9.50 %.
- India’s first private sector unit for manufacturing Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAV) and Light Bullet Proof Vehicles (LBPV) will be set up by DCM Shriram Industries Group on the campus of Shriram Rayons in ____?
2.Vishakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
4.Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Kota, Rajasthan
Shriram Rayons, a company of DCM Shriram Industries Group, has been manufacturing rayon tyre cord in Kota for the past 54 years. On 5th July 2018, the company obtained a licence from the centre to manufacture UAV and LBPV. The UAV and LBPV are indigenously designed and developed by the DCM Shriram Industries Group. Shriram Rayons’ Kota unit, has been developed on 11 acres. It will be India’s first private sector company to manufacture UAVs and LBPVs.
- On July 12, 2018, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan inaugurated the state-run power giant NTPC’s 250 MW Solar Power Plant in Suwasra, in which district?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Mandsaur
This project has been set up by NTPC at an investment of about Rs. 1,500 cr. It has been constructed mainly on non-agricultural land and generation of electricity has been achieved without affecting the natural eco-system with zero carbon emission. This is one of the biggest solar plant developed using domestically manufactured Solar cells and modules Under Make in India Project. The Project has been commissioned in June 2017 and generated electricity is being supplied for consumption in Madhya Pradesh as the sole beneficiary.
- On 11th July 2018, Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra appointed _____ as the advocate general of Jammu and Kashmir?
4.D C Raina
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.D C Raina
D C Raina was advocate general of Jammu and Kashmir in 2016 also when Governor’s rule was imposed in Jammu and Kashmir following the death of then chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed and clash between the PDP and BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) on formation of government. Also, the governor accepted the resignation of Jehangir Iqbal Ganaie, who was the advocate general during the PDP-BJP coalition government in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Scientists have developed a computer named “_____” that mimics human brain’s neural networks, and would overcome the speed and power consumption problems of conventional supercomputers?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.SpiNNaker
SpiNNaker is a custom-built computer. It generated similar results similar to that of the best brain-simulation supercomputer software used at present for neural-signalling research. This system would help to advance our knowledge of neural processing in the brain, to include learning and disorders like epilepsy and Alzheimer’s disease. A researcher from the Julich Research Centre in Germany, said that, SpiNNaker can support detailed biological models of the cortex. Cortex is the outer layer of the brain that receives and processes information from the senses.
- On 11th July 2018, the Mission Olympic Cell (MOC) of the Sports Ministry approved a monthly allowance of _____for each of the 18 members of the men’s hockey team under the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS)?
1.Rs 1 lakh
3.Rs 2 lakh
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Rs 50,000
The monthly allowance under TOPS was started by Sports Ministry in 2017. But the men’s hockey team has received the pocket allowance for the first time. The decision to include men’s hockey team was taken after India’s improved performance under the new coach Harendra Singh. The men’s hockey team finished runners up in the Champions Trophy in the Netherlands. The women’s hockey team would be included in the TOPS after reviewing its performance in the upcoming World Cup and the Asian Games. Also, double Olympic medalist Sushil Kumar has been sanctioned 6.62 lakh rupees for hiring two sparring partners and a physiotherapist during his current training in Georgia.
- On 12th July 2018, Dada JP Vaswani who died due to old age related ailments in Pune, Maharashtra, was a ____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Spiritual Leader
Jashan Pahlajrai Vaswani was 99 years old. He was born in Pakistan’s Hyderabad city on 2nd of August 1918. He was a popular spiritual leader. He promoted vegetarianism and animal rights. He has written more than 150 self-help books. He had received the 1998 U Thant Peace Award from the United Nations. He edited 3 monthly journals namely the Excelsior, the India Digest and the East and West series. He was one of the Principals of the St. Mira’s College for Girls. In 1966, Dada J. P. Vaswani succeeded as the head of theSadhu Vaswani Mission following the death of Sadhu Vaswani.
- When was International Malala Day celebrated to commemorate Malala Yousafzai’s birthday?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.July 12
According to World Bank, not educating girls or creating barriers in their school education globally costs between $15-30 trillion. Less than two-thirds of girls in low-income countries complete primary school and only one in three girls completes lower secondary school. According to the report, currently 132 million girls around the world between the ages of 6 and 17 are still not in school — 75 per cent of whom are adolescents. In the 18 countries for which simulations were carried with demographic projection tools, the average reduction in population growth was estimated at -0.18 % adding that the reductions in annual population growth rates are, however, different depending on which country is considered.
- On July 9, 2018 India and South Korea have decided to join forces to work towards Industrial Revolution _____?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.4.0
India and Korea are expanding the horizon of cooperation with countries in the region via India’s Act East Policy and South Korea’s New Southern Policy. This can be achieved by forming the Korea-India Future Vision Strategy Group. Joint research and exchanges of talented people will likely b e expanded in the areas of ICT, software, biotech, cyber sec urity, healthcare, energy as well as future cars and space development. India also signed a civil nuclear agreement with Korea, which is yet to be operational.
- On July 10,2018, through the signing of how many trade agreements India and South Korea intends to expand business ties and more than double mutual trade to $50 billion by 2030?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.11
On July 10,2018, Through the signing of 11 trade agreements India and South Korea intends to expand business ties and more than double mutual trade to $50 billion by 2030. Bilateral trade between the world’s seventh and 11th largest economies rose by nearly a quarter to $20.8 billion in the 2017/18 fiscal year that ended in March, with $16.4 billion of that in favour of South Korea.
- On July 10,2018, the India-Korea Technology Exchange Centre was Inaugurated by the Minister of State (I/C) MSME Giriraj Singh and Minister of SMEs and Start-ups of Republic of Korea, Hong Jong-hak in which Indian City?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.New Delhi
The India-Korea Technology Exchange Centre has been established at the National Small Industries Corporation premises in New Delhi. The objective is to create a platform for micro, SMEs of India and Korea where they can identify and exchange latest technologies, share management expertise, product development and technology applications for product development. The Technology Centre will also work towards building reliable alliances in Space, Solar Energy, Nano technologies and some other upcoming technologies. It will work towards identifying Indian technologies which can be exported to Korea and find suitable Korean partners for the same, initiating various cooperative MSME projects. Technology Data Bank from each side to encourage technology transfers, production of high quality products in India and encouraging.
- On 10th July 2018, National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) signed an MOU with Small Business Corporation (SBC) of which country to facilitate, assist and provide necessary support to MSMEs of both the countries?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.South Korea
On July 10,2018, NSIC signed MOU with Small Business Corporation of South Korea on the inaugural day of The India-Korea Technology Exchange Centre. MoU was signed between the Small Business Corporation (SBC) of Korea and the NSIC for cooperation in the field of MSME Sector. The SBC will mobilise the South Korean MSMEs for technical and business alliances with their counterparts in India and organise partner matching events in Korea for Indian delegations.
- Who has been appointed the chief electoral officer (CEO) of Madhya Pradesh?
3.V L Kantha Rao
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.V L Kantha Rao
The Madhya Pradesh government, on the directive of the Election Commission of India (ECI), today appointed V L Kantha Rao as the chief electoral officer (CEO) of the state. Rao, a 1992-batch IAS officer, replaced Salina Singh. Assembly elections are due in the state by year-end. The ECI had asked for a panel of three officers for the post, and picked Kantha Rao from the panel, a state public relations department official said.
- On 10th July 2018, a MoU was signed by the Industries and Mines Department under which state government and Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency (KOTRA) in Delhi to strengthen trade and industrial relations?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Gujarat
Under this MoU, the priority sectors focused are Chemical, Petrochemical and Pharmaceuticals, New and Renewable Energy, Start-up Ecosystem, Textiles and Apparels, Urban Infrastructure, Food Processing and Agro related industries, Skill Training and Development, Automobile, etc. KOTRA is the national trade and investment promotion organisation that is operated by the Government of the Republic of Korea. The MoU was signed by Principal Secretary Industries and Mines MK Das on behalf of Gujarat Government and Dr. Kwon, Pyung-oh on behalf of KOTRA. The MoU was signed with an aim to improve and strengthen Korea – Gujarat trade and industrial investment relations and to encourage ongoing dialogue and cooperation.
- On 10th July 2018, India Women’s Cricket Team Coach ____ resigned from his position citing personal reasons?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Tushar Arothe
On 10th July 2018, BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) accepted Tushar Arothe’s resignation. Tushar Arothe cited personal reasons for his resignation. But a senior official from Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said that, few senior players had difference in opinion with Tushar Arothe’s style of training. During his stint with the Indian Women’s Cricket Team, the team reached the final of the ICC Women’s World Cup in 2017. In 2018, the team won the 3-match One Day International (ODI) series and 5-match T20I series in South Africa. Also, the team reached the final of the Asia Cup held in Malaysia. Now, BCCI is looking for a new coach to replace Tushar Arothe.
- Indian Navy’s _____ long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft from Indian Naval Ship (INS) Rajali has inducted at Hawaii to take part in the Rim of Pacific Multinational Naval exercise (RIMPAC-18) for the first time?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.P8I
This is the first time, an Indian Naval aircraft has entered so far east into the Pacific. Also, it has become the first Indian Naval aircraft to cross the International Date Line, undertaking the longest ferry of around 3300 nm from Guam to Hawaii. It is also the first Indian Naval aircraft to participate in RIMPAC. 26 nations are taking part in RIMPAC 18. Tactical exercises like Anti-Submarine Warfare and Maritime Reconnaissance missions will be conducted in RIMPAC 18. This will help in improving the interoperability skills of the Indian Navy. During the exercise, IN P8I will operate from Joint Airbase Hickam, Honolulu in Hawaii.
- On 11th July 2018, which Indian naval ship became the first-ever warship to enter port of Sabang in Indonesia?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.INS Sumitra
INS Sumitra was received by traditional dancers and Indonesian traditional band. It was welcomed by Indian Ambassador to Indonesia PK Rawat, Indonesian foreign affairs officials, Indian embassy officials, Indian businessmen and Indonesian naval and air force officers. INS Sumitra was deployed in Malacca Straits. In May 2018, during Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Jakarta, he met with Indonesian President Joko Widodo and it was decided that New Delhi will develop the Indonesian port Sabang in the Indian Ocean. This port is strategically important and it is close to the Andamans. Already, India is building up the Andaman & Nicobar Islands as a tri-service command to watch over the eastern Indian Ocean, mainly the Malacca Strait.
- A study by Tel Aviv University has confirmed that, _____, a neurotransmitter is responsible for arousal in the brain as it plays a major role in human beings to sense the world around them?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Noradrenaline
A study regarding this has been published in the Current Biology journal. Until recently, it was believed that noradrenaline is involved in alertness, stress, attention and decision making. This study has revealed that, noradrenaline plays a major role in earlier stages of perception and determining our ability to perceive events around us. The scientists conducted a series of experiments on 30 participants at the Sagol Brain Institute at Tel Aviv Medical Center. Subjects participated in 3 different sessions in which they received drugs that lowered noradrenaline levels; drugs that increased noradrenaline levels; or a placebo.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the MD and CEO and headquarters of IDBI Bank?MD and CEO – Mr. B. Sriram; Headquarters – Mumbai
- Who is the President of European Bank for Reconstruction & Development (EBRD) headquartered in London?Suma Chakrabarti
- What is the tag line of State Bank of India (SBI)?With you all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation’s banks on us
- Who is the CEO of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)?Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey
- Name the Chairman of NITI Aayog?Narendra Modi