AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs January 9 Quiz 2018 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- What are the amendments notified in Companies (Amendment) Act, 2017?
1. It will ease the implementation of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016
2. It will allow companies to issue shares at a discount to its creditors
3. It also has the modified provision relating to registered values from undertaking valuation of any assets in which he has a direct or indirect interest.
4. All the above
5. 1 & 3Answer – 4. All the above
Central Government notified the Companies (Amendment) Act, 2017. Certain provisions of this amendment act will ease the implementation of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016.As per Section 53 of the Companies Act, 2013 companies were prohibited to issue shares at a discount. Amendment Act has now allowed companies to issue shares at a discount to its creditors in instances wherein its debt is converted into shares as part of any statutory resolution plan/debt restructuring under Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code. For defaulting companies, payment of managerial remuneration in excess of 11 percent of the net profits will now require approval of all stakeholders involved viz. banks, public financial institutions and other creditors. The amendment has also modified provision relating to registered valuer from undertaking valuation of any assets in which he has a direct or indirect interest.
- Central Government has sanctioned the raising of a Territorial Army (TA) battalion for cleaning River Ganga. This battalion will comprise only of __________?
1. Ex-servicemen of the army
2. Natives of that territory
3. Youths of the Community
4. Ministers of the state
5. Prime Minister & Council of MinistersAnswer – 1.Ex-servicemen of the army
Central Government has sanctioned the raising of a Territorial Army (TA) battalion for cleaning River Ganga. This battalion will comprise only of ex-servicemen of the army. This battalion will be raised in February 2018 in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, as a Composite Ecological Task Force (CETF) battalion of Territorial Army (TA). Central Government has allocated Rs 167 crore for this battalion. The CETF TA battalion will be headed by a Colonel-rank officer. It will have eight officers, 20 Junior Commissioned Officer (JCOs) and around 500 other ranks on its roll. It is to be noted that Territorial Army is considered as India’s second line of defence after the regular Army. Territorial Army functions under Union Defence Ministry.
- Which State Government has imposed a ban on manufacture, distribution, sale, purchase, display and advertisement of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) across the state?
5. GujaratAnswer – 4.Bihar
Bihar State Government has imposed a ban on manufacture, distribution, sale, purchase, display and advertisement of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) across the state. E-cigarettes are handheld battery-run devices which are smoked just like a conventional cigarette. However the ingredient (in liquid form) may differ. The ban also applies to online sale and purchase of e-cigarettes. It is to be noted Bihar has already imposed ban on manufacture, distribution, trade, sale, purchase, display and advertisement of all tobacco products and items containing nicotine and not approved by the Drug Controller General of India (DGCI).
- Which tribal community of Odisha, was denied habitate rights inside the Similipal Tiger Reserve (STR) in Odisha?
5. MatyaAnswer – 2.Mankidia
Mankidia, a tribe of Odisha, was denied habitat rights inside the Similipal Tiger Reserve (STR) in Odisha. Mankidia is one among the 13 Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTG) in Odisha. They were denied habitat rights inside the Similipal Tiger Reserve under the historic Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act, 2006. They were denied habitat because the Odisha Forest Department has stated that the tribals are likely to be attacked by wild animals, mainly tigers. J. D. Pati, deputy director of STR, had objected providing habitat rights to Makidia stating that, it would hinder free movement of tigers and other animals.
- Which country had announced its plans to extend the ongoing state of emergency for the sixth time?
5. ThailandAnswer – 4.Turkey
Turkish government announced plans to extend the ongoing state of emergency for the sixth time. State of emergency was first imposed in July 2016 after a failed coup to overthrow incumbent Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Turkish authorities have extended the emergency to crackdown on individuals connected with the failed coup. Since the attempted coup, over 55000 people have been arrested and 140000 public sector workers have been suspended or sacked. The ongoing state of emergency is set to expire on January 19, 2018. The fresh extension will be for another three months.
- Flipkart-owned payments platform PhonePe announced a strategic tie-up with which leading Wallet player to enable over 45 million users to link their existing Wallets to the PhonePe app?
3. Citrus Pay
4. Citi MasterPass
5. MobikwikAnswer – 2.FreeCharge
Flipkart-owned payments platform PhonePe announced a strategic tie-up with leading Wallet player FreeCharge to enable over 45 million users to link their existing FreeCharge Wallets to the PhonePe app. Owing to this tie-up, PhonePe customers will be able to utilise their FreeCharge wallet balance for all online and offline transactions. This will make PhonePe, India’s first open payments platform, through which customers can use any and all payment instruments for executing transactions. PhonePe is currently accepted at more than 60 thousand online and offline merchants.
- Name the Indian state which has topped the Logistics Ease Across Different States (LEADS) index?
5. KarnatakaAnswer – 1.Gujarat
Gujarat has topped Logistics Ease Across Different States (LEADS) index. Report related to this index was released by Union Commerce and Industry Minister, Suresh Prabhu at the third meeting of Council for Trade Development and Promotion on January 8, 2018.LEADS Index is a perception-based index of mobility of goods and efficiency of logistics chain. It has been jointly developed by Union Commerce and Industry Ministry along with Deloitte. The index is based on various indicators such as infrastructure, safety of cargo, timeliness and service quality in the sector. On LEADS Index rankings, Gujarat is closely followed by Punjab and Andhra Pradesh. Among Union Territories, Daman & Diu occupied topped the index followed by Delhi and Chandigarh.
- Which Police Station in TamilNadu has been adjudged as the best police station in India in SMART Police Stations initiative of Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA)?
1. R.S. Puram Police station, Coimbatore
2. Kattur Police station, Coimbatore
3. Kalpakkam Police station, Kanchepuram
4. Thiruporur Police station, Kanchepuram
5. Bhel Police station, PerumburAnswer – 1.R.S. Puram Police station, Coimbatore
R.S. Puram Police station in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu has been adjudged as the best police station in India in SMART Police Stations initiative of Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).R.S. Puram Police Station House Officer T. Jothi, received the award from Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on January 6, 2018 at the all India conference of Director General/Inspector General of Police held at BSF Academy Tekanpur in Madhya Pradesh. Abbreviation SMART in SMART Police stands for S-Sensitive and Strict; M-Modern with mobility; A- Alert and Accountable; R- Reliable and Responsive; T- Trained and Techno-savvy. SMART Police concept was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the 49th annual conference of Director General/Inspector General held in Guwahati in November, 2014.
- Who will be awarded the “Legion of Honour” award 2018, at the 42nd International Kolkata Book Fair?
1. Benoit Puga
2. Luc Fons
3. Soumitra Chatterjee
4. Anne Biget
5. Angelique DuchmanAnswer – 3.Soumitra Chatterjee
The French government will present the “Legion of Honour” award to actor Soumitra Chatterjee, at the 42nd International Kolkata Book Fair. “Legion of Honour” award is considered as the highest order of merit in France. The award will be presented by French culture minister Francoise Nyssen. Theme country for the International Kolkata Book Fair 2018 is France. Also, the Hindi version of the famous Asterix comic books will be launched at the fair. Several countries are expected to participate in the International Kolkata Book Fair 2018. This is considered as the largest book fair in the world in terms of participants.
- Which suburban station became the first railway station in India to be operated by an all-woman staff in July 2017?
1. Fort suburban station, Chennai
2. Kadugodi suburban station, Bangalore
3. Matunga suburban station, Mumbai
4. Aluva suburban station, Aluva
5. Anderi suburban station, MumbaiAnswer – 3.Matunga suburban station, Mumbai
The Matunga suburban station of Mumbai on the Central Railway (CR) appeared in the Limca Book of Records for comprising all-woman staff. Matunga suburban station became the first railway station in India to be operated by an all-woman staff in July 2017. The Matunga suburban station is operated exclusively by women staff from July 2017. A total of 41 women staff are working at the station. This includes personnel from the RPF, commercial and operating departments. Station manager of Matunga suburban station is Mamta Kulkarni.
- Who was appointed the Managing Director (MD) and CEO of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)?
1. Shree Ansol
2. Sabari Mehta
3. Vins Voger
4. Hans Christin
5. Dilip AsbeAnswer – 5.Dilip Asbe
Dilip Asbe has been appointed as Managing Director (MD) and CEO of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). NPCI is the umbrella organisation for all retail payment systems in India. Prior to being appointed as MD & CEO, DilipAsbe was CEO-in-charge of NPCI. He was appointed as CEO-in- in August 2017.DilipAsbe has been working in NPCI since its inception. He has played instrumental role in designing, building, operationalising and managing NPCI’s large-scale payment processing platforms like the Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM), Unified Payments Interface (UPI), Immediate Payment Service (IMPS) and RuPay network.
- Who was appointed the new secretary of state for Northern Ireland?
1. Larry Kim
2. Karen Bradley
3. Oprah Winfrey
4. Robert Ebert
5. John PaulAnswer – 2.Karen Bradley
Karen Bradley has been appointed as the new secretary of state for Northern Ireland. Karen Bradley replaces James Brokenshire as Northern Ireland secretary. This appointment was made by Theresa May, UK Prime Minister, as a part of cabinet reshuffle. James Brokenshire stepped down from his role as Northern Ireland secretary due to health reasons.James Brokenshire was appointed Northern Ireland secretary in July 2016. Karen Bradley is 47 years old. Earlier she was the culture secretary.She has been serving as MP for Staffordshire Moorlands since 2010. She became Home Office minister in 2014.
- Who has been made the brand ambassador of Sikkim?
1. Sharukh Khan
2. AR Rahman
3. Kamal Hassan
4. Rajini Kanth
5. Ajith KumarAnswer – 2.AR Rahman
AR Rahman has been made the brand ambassador of Sikkim. AR Rahman’s role as brand ambassador will be conducting campaigns for Sikkim to draw tourists and businesses. He will also brand Sikkim on international platforms. His appointment as brand ambassador was made at the inauguration ceremony of Red Panda Winter Festival at Paljor Stadium in Gangtok, Sikkim.
- Who is appointed the new Director General of Police (DGP) of Himachal Pradesh?
1. John Mitchell
2. Krishna Kumar
3. Vijayan Richard
4. Charles Mathew
5. Sita Ram MardiAnswer – 5.Sita Ram Mardi
Sita Ram Mardi has been appointed as the new Director General of Police (DGP) of Himachal Pradesh.Sita Ram Mardi is an IPS officer of 1986 batch. He replaces Sanjay Kumar. Sanjay Kumar is a 1985 batch officer. He took charge as DGP in 2014. Sita Ram Mardi was already a DGP-rank officer. He has been in charge ofHomeguards and fire services. He had also worked in the CID and vigilance department. He has also held SP (Superintendent of police) position in Shimla.
- Who was appointed the new High Commissioner of India to Botswana?
1. Andrew Carnegie
2. Babin Sandy
3. Benjamin Ryan
4. John Franklin
5. Rajesh RanjanAnswer – 5. Rajesh Ranjan
Rajesh Ranjan was appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Botswana. Rajesh Ranjan is an Indian Foreign Service Officer (IFS) of 2001 batch. Currently, he holds the Director position in the Ministry of External Affairs. He has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Botswana. He will take charge as High Commissioner of India to Botswana soon.
- Parle Agro has named which Telugu actor as the brand ambassador for its key brand Frooti?
2. Pawan Kalyan
3. Mahesh Babu
5. Allu ArjunAnswer – 5. Allu Arjun
Parle Agro has named Allu Arjun, Telegu actor, as brand ambassador for its key brand Frooti. Allu Arjun has been made the brand ambassador of Frooti, as a part of Parle Agro’s expansion strategy. A new campaign featuring Allu Arjun will be released in the summer of 2018. It is led by a region-specific film in south India. It will be conceptualised along with Sagmesiter & Walsh (S&W). Sagmesiter & Walsh (S&W) is the creative partner of Parle Agro.
- Under Phase-I of BharatNet Project, how many gram panchayats have been provided with hi-speed broadband connectivity?
1. 3.5 lakh
2. 3 lakh
3. 2 lakh
4. 1 lakh
5. 1.5 lakhAnswer – 4. 1 lakh
Central Government has announced that under Phase-I of BharatNet Project, one lakh gram panchayats have been provided with hi-speed broadband connectivity. BharatNet Project, formerly known as National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN) was launched by Central Government in October, 2011 with an aim to deploy high-speed optical fibre cables across rural areas of India. Its ultimate goal is to provide broadband connectivity to all 2.5 Lakh Gram Panchayats in India. With the completion of Phase-I, Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan has stated that Government has already started work on Phase-II, under which, broadband connectivity will be provided to another to 1.5 lakh gram panchayats. Ms. Sundararajan also stated that Phase-II will be completed by December 2018. Original timeline for completion of Phase-II is March 2019.
- Name India’s Fastest Supercomputer established at Pune’s IITM, with Petaflops as the measure of a computer’s processing speed?
5. JeethAnswer – 2. Pratyush
Union Minister for Science and Technology, Harsh Vardhan inaugurated ‘Pratyush’, India’s fastest ‘multi-petaflops’ supercomputer. Petaflops is a measure of a computer’s processing speed. This High Performance Computing (HPC) facility has been established at the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune. It will be used for improving weather and climate forecasts. It is expected to provide better forecasts in terms of monsoon, tsunamis, earthquakes, cyclones, air quality, flood and drought conditions. ’Pratyush’ will be used in coordination with the Indian Meterological Department (IMD) and other weather monitoring institutes. This is India’s second HPC unit. India’s first HPC has been installed at National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), Noida, to assist weather agencies in providing daily forecasts. ’Pratyush’ is the fourth fastest supercomputer (after Japan, US and UK) in the world dedicated for weather and climate research.
- Who won the Kolkata Open 2018 International Invitation Snooker Championship at the Hindustan Club, in Kolkata?
1. Aditya Mehta
2. Pankaj Advani
3. Aditya Mehta
4. Geet Sethi
5. Manan ChandraAnswer – 1. Aditya Mehta
Aditya Mehta won the Kolkata Open 2018 International Invitation Snooker Championship at the Hindustan Club, in Kolkata. India’s Aditya Mehta defeated England’s Alfie Burden 5-4 in the finals of Kolkata Open 2018 International Invitation Snooker Championship. Aditya Mehta has won the Kolkata Open title for the third time. Earlier he defeated Laxman Rawat 5-2 and Brijesh Damani 5-4 in the semi-finals.
- Name the cricketer who was suspended by Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for five months for failing a dope test?
1. Parthiv Patel
2. Yusuf Pathan
3. Hardik Pandya
4. Yuvaraj Singh
5. Ravindra JadejaAnswer – 2. Yusuf Pathan
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has suspended cricketer Yusuf Pathan for five months for failing a dope test. Yusuf Pathan has received a five-month ban for doping violation. But he is allowed to play from 15 January 2018 as the ban was backdated to August. Yusuf Pathan has been charged with commission of an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV) under the BCCI Anti-Doping Rules (ADR) Article 2.1. The sample collected from him during a domestic T20 competition on 16 March 2017, in New Delhi, contained Terbutaline. Terbutaline is banned both in and out of Competition in the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) Prohibited List of Substances.
- Name the chairman of Mohan Meakin Ltd, which makes ‘Old Monk’ rum, who passed away due to cardiac arrest, in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh?
1. Anderson Christan
2. Luke Andrew
3. Nikhil Mathew
4. Kapil Mohan
5. Suresh RichardAnswer – 4. Kapil Mohan
Kapil Mohan, chairman of Mohan Meakin Ltd, which makes ‘Old Monk’ rum, passed away due to cardiac arrest, at his home, in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh. Kapil Mohan was 88 years old. The Old Monk rum was launched in 1954. Old Monk was considered as the largest selling dark rum in the world for a long time. Also, it was the biggest Indian Made Foreign Liquor brand for a long time. Mohan Meakin Ltd produces Old Monk rum and few other beverages.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Governor of Bihar?Satya Pal Malik
- Mankidia tribal community belongs to which state?Odisha
- What is the currency of Turkey?Turkish lira; Capital – Ankara
- What is the Tagline of Punjab National Bank (PNB)?The name you can bank upon
- Who are the founders of Flipkart?Sachin Bansal, Binny Bansal
- What is the capital of Gujarat?Gandhinagar