AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs January 5 Quiz 2018 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Union Defence Ministry had sanctioned how much money for the procurement of simulated training solutions for Indian Navy’s P-8I long range maritime patrol aircraft and electronic warfare systems for the Army?
1. Rs. 2220 crore
2. Rs. 2320 crore
3. Rs. 2420 crore
4. Rs. 2520 crore
5. Rs. 2620 croreAnswer – 3. Rs. 2420 crore
Union Defence Ministry approved procurement of simulated training solutions for Indian Navy’s P-8I long range maritime patrol aircraft and electronic warfare systems for the Army. Total cost involved in these deals is Rs. 2420 crore. Simulated training solution for P-8I will be bought from Boeing for Rs. 1949.32 crore. It will come along with 10 year comprehensive maintenance service. This training solution accurately simulates P-8I aircraft and mission systems and will thereby help Indian Navy train and realistically rehearse for sophisticated missions in a cost effective manner. The second proposal is for Low Intensity Conflict Electronic Warfare System (LICEWS) for the Army, which will be procured from Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for Rs. 470 crore.
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), the implementation wing of National Ganga Council has approved five projects worth Rs. 295 crore. These 5 projects will be implemented in which three states?
1. West Bengal, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh
2. Bihar, Uttarakhand, Gujarat
3. Gujarat, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh
4. Maharashtra, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh
5. West Bengal, Punjab, Uttar PradeshAnswer – 1. West Bengal, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh
National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), the implementation wing of National Ganga Council has approved five projects worth Rs. 295 crore. Out of the five projects, three projects pertain to sewage management in West Bengal at an estimated cost of Rs 278.6 crore. One project relates to sewage management in Uttarakhand at an estimated cost of Rs 4.68 crore while one project is related to ghat improvement works in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh at an estimated cost of Rs 11.73 crore.
- Lok Sabha passed a bill to hike the salaries of judges of Supreme Court and 24 high courts. The bill proposes to raise the monthly salary of Chief Justice of India from the present Rs. one lakh per month to _________ per month?
1. Rs 2.40 lakh
2. Rs 2.50 lakh
3. Rs 2.60 lakh
4. Rs 2.70 lakh
5. Rs 2.80 lakhAnswer – 5. Rs 2.80 lakh
Lok Sabha passed a bill to hike the salaries of judges of Supreme Court and 24 high courts. The bill proposes to raise the monthly salary of Chief Justice of India to Rs 2.80 lakh from the present Rs. one lakh per month. Similarly, salary of judges of the Supreme Court and chief justices of the High Court is to be raised to Rs 2.50 lakh from the current Rs 90000. The bill also proposes to raise the salary of judges of the high courts, from Rs. 80000 per month now, to Rs 2.25 lakh per month. The salary hike for judges is in line with the recommendations of the 7th Pay Commission for officers of all-India services. Once this bill is passed by both the houses of Parliament, it will become a law and will come into force retrospectively from January 1, 2016.
- To encourage the Jute sectors, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), gave approval for mandatory packaging of _____ and _______in the jute material for the Jute Year 2017-18 (from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018)?
1. Foodgrains and Vegetables
2. Foodgrains and Meat
3. Foodgrains and Sugar
4. Foodgrains and Stationaries
5. Foodgrains and SweetsAnswer – 3. Foodgrains and Sugar
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave approval for mandatory packaging of foodgrains and sugar in the jute material for the Jute Year 2017-18 (from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018). This decision would sustain demand for jute and will thereby support the livelihood of the workers and farmers dependent on this sector. Livelihood of huge number of farmers and workers located in the Eastern and North Eastern regions of India, particularly in West Bengal, Odisha, Bihar, Assam, Meghalaya, Andhra Pradesh and Tripura is dependent on Jute sector. The extension for mandatory Jute material packaging has been granted under the Jute Packaging Material (JPM) Act, 1987.
- Which State Government has decided to form an education board for non-English medium schools?
5. BiharAnswer – 1. Maharashtra
Maharashtra State Education Minister, Vinod Tawde stated that Maharashtra State Government has decided to form an education board for non-English medium schools. Mr. Tawde stated that an international education board will be formed to prepare syllabus for non-English medium schools in Maharashtra. In the first phase, 100 selected Marathi schools will follow the new syllabus. Besides, Mr. Tawde also assured to look into the issue of reducing non-teaching tasks of teachers (such as Census Survey and election duty) in the coming days.
- Name the state government which banned the entry of “unauthorised persons/ reporters”?
3. Himachal Pradesh
5. Jammu KashmirAnswer – 4. Uttarkhand
Uttarkhand government banned the entry of “unauthorised persons/ reporters”. On December 27 Uttarkhand Chief Secretary Utpal Kumar Singh has referred that “Entry of unauthorised persons/ reporters to the sections/ offices (of government departments) must be completely prohibited,” in a three page order. Visitor will not be permitted to meet any government official or any member of the office staff for personal work in the office premises. Due to an emergency exists to meet the govt. official or any important matters can meet the visitor at the office reception. The order has taken especially agenda of cabinet meetings has been leaked to the media in the past. It affects the decision to be taken by the cabinet.
- Which state has made its logo, highlighting the “Biswa Bangla” theme with Ashoka Pillars?
3. West Bengal
5. PunjabAnswer – 3. West Bengal
The Centre has approved a logo as the state’s symbol which is designed and conceptualized by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. The logo highlighting the “Biswa Bangla” theme with Ashoka Pillars. It went to the Centre in last May and now received the approval letter from the Centre.We will be able to use the logo as the state symbol.
- Name the Airport that has the facility of CAT III B landing system runway 01R, which enables flights to land even when visibility is 50 metres with decision height of 15 meters?
1. Veer Savarkar International Airport, Port Blair
2. Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore
3. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, Ahmedabad
4. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata
5. None of theseAnswer – 4. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata
Kolkata’s Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport has become the 5th airport in India having CAT III B landing system runway 01R. It enables flights to land even when visibility is 50 metres with decision height of 15 meters. Airport Director Atul Dixit mentioned it can be a 24×7 functional airport.
- Name the village of Haryana which has planned to begin their day by listening to the national anthem at 8am?
1. Ambala village
2. Bhanakpur village
3. Gurugram village
4. Hisar village
5. Sonipat villageAnswer – 2. Bhanakpur village
The residents of Bhanakpur village in Faridabad district plan to begin their day by listening to the national anthem at 8am. Bhanakpur panchayat has installed 20 loudspeakers to help over 5,000 villagers sing the national anthem. The village has also installed 22 CCTV cameras. This village become first in Haryana and second in India to introduce the system. Jammikunta become the first village has implemented this system.
- Which is the first country in the world to legalise equal pay for men and women for the same work?
5. ChileAnswer – 2. Iceland
A new law has come to force in Iceland, under which it has become illegal to pay men more than women for the same work. Iceland has thus become first country in the world to legalise equal pay. Under the new law, all companies and government departments/agencies employing at least 25 people will have to obtain government certification of their equal-pay policies. Companies that fail to prove that their women employees are being paid same as their male counterparts will face fines. In context of this news, it is important to note that Iceland has been ranked as world’s most gender-equal country by World Economic Forum (WEF) since past nine years.
- Which country has suspended more than USD 1.15 billion security assistance to Pakistan, accusing Islamabad of harbouring terror groups like the Afghan Taliban and the Haqqani Network within its border?
5. JapanAnswer – 1. USA
The US has suspended more than USD 1.15 billion security assistance to Pakistan, accusing Islamabad of harbouring terror groups like the Afghan Taliban and the Haqqani Network within its border. Nauert said the freeze will be enforced “until the Pakistani government takes decisive action against these groups. Prominent among the suspended amount include USD 255 million in Foreign Military Funding (FMF) for the fiscal year 2016 as mandated by the Congress.
- What will be the base colour of the new Rs.10 note which will be issued by RBI?
1. Burnt umber
2. Sulphate Blue
3. Chocolate Brown
4. Dark pink
5. Army greenAnswer – 3. Chocolate Brown
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon issue Rs.10 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series. These notes will bear signature of Dr. Urjit R. Patel, the current Governor of Reserve Bank of India. The new Rs. 10 denomination banknotes will have motif of Sun Temple, Konark on the reverse side. Base colour of these new notes will be Chocolate Brown, while dimension will be 63 mm x 123 mm. It is to be noted that, all Rs.10/- denomination banknotes issued by the RBI in the earlier series will continue to be legal tender.
- Which Public Airlines had tied up three international banks to avail short-term loans for acquiring three Boeing 777 aircrafts?
1. AirAsia India
2. Air India
3. Air India Express
5. Jet AirwaysAnswer – 2. Air India
Minister of State for Civil Aviation, Jayant Singh informed Lok Sabha that government-owned airline, Air India has tied up three international banks to avail short-term loans for acquiring three Boeing 777 aircrafts. Air India has tied-up with UAE-based First Abu Dhabi Bank, Standard Chartered Bank and Mashreq Bank for this purpose. In November 2017, Air India had issued a revised tender inviting interest from lenders for a loan worth up to $535 million. Two of the three B777-300 ER planes will be delivered by end of January 2018, while one will be delivered in February 2018. Mr. Singh has stated that two of these aircrafts will be used for ferrying Very Very Important Persons (VVIPs).
- Who was awarded the best central bank governor in Asia-Pacific for 2018 by UK-based magazine, “The Banker?”
1. Ravi Shankar
3. Ravi Menon
4. Seetha Raman
5. Adarva JaishankarAnswer – 3. Ravi Menon
Ravi Menon, managing director of the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), has been honoured the best central bank governor in Asia-Pacific for 2018 by UK-based magazine, The Banker. The key reasons for selecting Ravi Menon are The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), the country’s central bank, stands out for its cutting-edge regulatory approach to fintech while maintaining macroeconomic stability. This annual award administered by The Banker, a publication under The Financial Times Group, is based on a selection process involving a survey of bankers and economists.
- Union Health Ministry has launched India’s first online oncology tutorial series, aimed at training doctors to detect and diagnose early signs of which disease?
5. MalariaAnswer – 1. Cancer
Union Health Ministry has launched India’s first online oncology tutorial series, aimed at training doctors to detect and diagnose early signs of cancer. The tutorial series has been designed in collaboration with Tata Memorial Centre and will be available across India, through state governments. The course duration for the entire tutorial series is of seven months. Physicians, gynaecologists, dentists and even medical professionals who are not oncologists can benefit from this course. Under this course, knowledge will be imparted through 14 hours of comprehensive e-learning, case studies, 40 video lectures and webinar sessions with professional consultants of Tata memorial hospital.
- Who has joined the head coach of Delhi Daredevils by replacing Rahul Dravid?
1. Don Bradman
2. Gary Sobers
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Vivians Richard
5. Imran KhanAnswer – 3. Ricky Ponting
Ricky Ponting has joined head coach of Delhi Daredevils. Ponting was earlier associated with Indian Premier League champions Mumbai Indians. Ponting will replace Rahul Dravid. Dravid, who is the coach of the Indian under-19 team, had withdrawn due to conflict of interest.
- Who was appointed by Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) as the new chief head coach of the national team?
1. Sohail Abbas
2. Shahid Ali Khan
3. Hanif Khan
4. Waseem Ahmed
5. Hassan SardarAnswer – 5. Hasan Sardar
Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) appointed former captain Hasan Sardar as the new chief head coach of the national team. Pakistan will appear in three major hockey events this year including the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and World Cup for the year 2018. Hasan Sardar had won both the World Cup and Olympic hockey gold in his career would be head coach for a two-match series against an International eleven this month.
- Vasant Davkhare, who passed away recently, belonged to which profession?
3. Bike Racer
4. Judo Player
5. PoliticianAnswer – 5. Politician
Senior Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Vasant Davkhare (68) passed away in Mumbai. He was former deputy chairman of the Maharashtra Legislature Council and NCP’s face in Thane district of Maharashtra for the last two decades. His son Niranjan Davkhare is the NCP MLC.
- To which profession Ambalavaner Sivanandan belongs to?
5. DancerAnswer – 3. Novelist
Ambalavaner Sivanandan, 94, novelist and intellectual giant of Sri Lankan point has passed away. Sivanandan won the 1998 Commonwealth Writers’ Prize in the ‘Best First Book category for Europe and South Asia’ for his novel, ‘When Memory Dies’. Sivanandan was also director emeritus of London’s Institute of Race Relations (IRR). Sivanandan was born on December 20, 1923, in Colombo, Sri Lanka. He left Sri Lanka for the UK after the 1958 riots.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- What is the capital of Maharashtra?Mumbai (summer), Nagpur (winter)
- Where is Abhimanyu Cricket Academy located?Dehradun, Uttarakhand
- Which is the third largest state for coal production, accounting for about half of India’s total?West Bengal
- What is the capital of Iceland?Reykjavik; Icelandic krona
- Who is the Current MD & CEO of Yes Bank?Rana Kapoor
- Where is the Headquarters of Air India located?Delhi