AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs January 29 Quiz 2018 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- President Ram Nath Kovind launched the Pulse Polio programme for 2018 on eve of National Immunisation Day. When is the National Immunisation Day observed all over India?
1. Jaunuary 26
2. Jaunuary 27
3. Jaunuary 28
4. Jaunuary 29
5. Jaunuary 30Answer – 4. Jaunuary 29
President Ram Nath Kovind launched the Pulse Polio programme for 2018 from Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi, by administering polio drops to children below five years. President Kovind administered the drops on eve of National Immunisation Day, which was observed on Jaunuary 29, 2018. Union Health Minister, J P Nadda, Ministers of State (Health) Ashwini Kumar Choubey and Ms. Anupriya Patel were also present at the occasion. Under Pulse Polio Programme for 2018, over 17 crore children below five years across India will be given polio drops.
- Which State Government has proposed a Performance-linked marking system for 7.5 lakh state government employees?
5. KeralaAnswer – 2. Maharashtra
Maharashtra State Government’s General administration department under Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has proposed a Performance-linked marking system for 7.5 lakh state government employees. The new 100-point performance marking system, will take into account subjective as well as objective evaluation of an employee’s performance during the year.Out of the 100 marks, 60 marks will be assigned for performance on objective parameters, such as speed of completing the given work, punctuality, attentiveness etc, while the remaining 40 marks will be given for subjective parameters such as quality of file notings, contribution in policy making, articulation of thought etc. Although the new system will not disincentivise the average or the poor performers, it has proposed public recognition and rewards for good performers (referred to as ‘Sukarmis’). Rewards may include cash rewards or additional perks. All state level and district level government offices will be asked to identify 5 per cent employees across cadres as the top performers.
- Assam Governor Prof. Jagdish Mukhi released a postage stamp in memory of which football player, at Sports Authority of India (SAI) complex playground in Paltan Bazar, Guwahati, Assam?
1. Sunil Murmu
2. Maneswar Mushahary
3. Arup Baruah
4. Nihal Das
5. Talimeren AoAnswer – 5. Football player Dr. Talimeren Ao
Assam Governor Prof. Jagdish Mukhi released a postage stamp in memory of eminent football player Dr. Talimeren Ao at Sports Authority of India (SAI) complex playground in Paltan Bazar, Guwahati, Assam. The postage stamp was released in memory of Dr. Talimeren Ao to mark his birth centenary year. Dr. Talimeren Ao was born on 28 January 1918. He played a key role in familiarizing football in Assam. He headed the Indian Football Team during the 1948 London Olympics. Professionally, Dr. Talimeren Ao was a doctor. He also worked as an Assistant Civil Surgeon.
- Which State’s Assembly has decided to introduce digital budget in its upcoming session, instead of the conventional printed booklet?
5. PunjabAnswer – 2. Assam
The Assam Assembly is to introduce digital budget in its upcoming session, instead of the conventional printed booklet. The Assembly session will start from 6th February 2018. Assam budget will be presented in a digital form by Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on 12th March 2018. Other new elements to be introduced in the Assam Assembly are: ‘Members Hour’, a year-long calendar, ‘Best Legislator Award’, formation of Pay Commission for MLAs’ salary and fellowships for research work on history of the Assembly. During the ‘Member Hour’ on every Tuesday, the legislators can put forth important problems in their constituencies, and Ministers of respective departments would answer the queries.
- Which state government launched Zero Budget Natural Farming project?
1. Himachal Pradesh
5. TelanganaAnswer – 1. Himachal Pradesh
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched Zero Budget Natural Farming project, at Chaudhary Sarvan Kumar Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishvavidyalay in Palampur, Himachal Pradesh. Himachal Pradesh Governor Acharya Dev Vrat and Agriculture Minister Dr Ram Lal Markanda were also present on the occasion. Acharya Dev Vrat said that, the role of agricultural scientists in the Zero Budget Natural Farming project is very important. He insisted that, a group of five scientists should adopt one village for natural farming and the Himachal Pradesh government will provide the required assistance.
- In which state, ‘Stree Swabhiman’, an initiative by CSC (Common Services Centres) on women’s health and hygiene was inaugurated?
5. New DelhiAnswer – 5. New Delhi
On 27th January 2018, Information technology minister Ravi Shankar Prasad launched ‘Stree Swabhiman’, an initiative by CSC (Common Services Centres) on women’s health and hygiene, in New Delhi. The ‘Stree Swabhiman’ has been launched to develop a model for providing adolescent girls and women access to affordable sanitary products by CSCs. As a part of this project, sanitary napkin micro manufacturing units are established at CSCs all over India. This project will also create job opportunities for women in rural areas. Each facility set up under this project will provide jobs for 8-10 women.
- According to Financial Times London’s Global MBA Ranking 2018, which institution has topped the ranking?
1. Indian School of Business
2. Stanford Graduate School of Business
3. Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
4. Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
5. Harvard Business SchoolAnswer – 2. Stanford Graduate School of Business
There has been a drop in Indian School of Business (ISB) and Indian Institute of Management (IIM) -Ahmedabad’s ranking in this year’s Financial Times London’s Global MBA Ranking 2018. ISB, which was ranked 27th in 2017 slipped to 28 in 2018, while IIM Ahmedabad, which was at 29th position last year, is now at 31. However, ranking of IIM-Bangalore improved significantly as it climbed to 35th as compared to 49th rank last year. Similarly, IIM-Calcutta too improved its position to 95th last year from 78th this year. Percentage salary increase, alumni recommendation and placements were the key factors that determined rankings. Stanford Graduate School of Business, US has topped the ranking followed by France’s INSEAD.
- Where was the 60th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony 2018 held at?
1. Mumbai, India
2. Tokyo. Japan
3. New York City, US
4. Bern, Switzerland
5. Kolkatta. IndiaAnswer – 3. New York City, US
60th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony for honouring the best recordings, compositions and artists was held on January 28, 2018 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, US. Eligibility year for 60th Annual Grammy Awards ran from October 1, 2016 to September 30, 2017. The award ceremony was hosted by famous television host James Corden. Jay-Z was credited with maximum nominations (in 8 categories), while Bruno Mars won maximum awards (in 6 categories, including top categories of album, record and song of the year).
- What was the theme of the Tableau of Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports for Republic Day 2018?
1. Gandhi and Buddhism
2. Khelo India
3. School Education
4. Kutch- Art and Lifestyle
5. Beti Bachao, Beti PadaoAnswer – 2. Khelo India
On 28th January 2018, Tableau of the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports for Republic Day 2018 was selected as the best Tableau in the Tableaux of the Ministries/Departments category. Union Defence Minister Nirmala Seetharaman presented the Trophy and Certificate for best Tableau to Rahul Bhatnagar, Secretary (Sports) at an event in New Delhi. The theme of the Tableau of Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports was Khelo India. The slogan mentioned on the float was “Khelo India, Jo Khelega Woh Khilege (Play India! The one who plays sport is the one who blossoms)”. Kheo India Programme has been launched by the Department of Sports. It focuses on integrating sports with education, developing sports infrastructure, identification of sports talent, hosting sports competitions, enhancing physical fitness of school children, sports for women, etc.
- Which group was named the best marching contingent in the paramilitary and auxiliary forces category at the Republic Day celebrations, in New Delhi?
1. Punjab Regiment Contingent
2. Sino-India border guarding force
3. Assam Regiment
4. Madras Engineer Group
5. Indo-Tibetan Border PoliceAnswer – 5. Indo-Tibetan Border Police
The Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) was named the best marching contingent in the paramilitary and auxiliary forces category at the Republic Day celebrations, in New Delhi. Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) contingent consisted of 148 members. It was led by Assistant Commandant Akshay Deshmukh. The ITBP won the best contingent trophy in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2004 and 2011 also. The ITBP guards India-China frontier which is 3,448 km long. One of the main duties of ITBP is to conduct anti-Naxal operations.
- Name Finland’s incumbent President, who has won second six-year term with an overwhelming 62.7% of the vote?
1. Andrzej Duda
2. Pekka Haavisto
3. Sauli Niinistowon
4. Beata Szydlo
5. Mateusz MorawieckiAnswer – 3. Sauli Niinistowon
Finland’s incumbent President, Sauli Niinistowon has won second six-year term with an overwhelming 62.7% of the vote. Niinistowon’s closest rival in this election was Pekka Haavisto of the Greens of Finland, who secured only 12.4% votes. Among other candidates, Laura Huhtasaari from the nationalist Finns Party and independent Paavo Vayrynen won 6.9% and 6.2% of votes, respectively. Mr. Niinistowon originally belonged to the co-ruling, centre-right National Coalition Party but in this election he contested as an independent. Total turnout for this election was 69.9%. During his first term, Mr. Niinistowon is credited for maintaining cordial relations with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin.
- A new thermal spray coating technology used for gas turbine engine in spacecraft developed by Dr. Satish Tailor was named after whom?
1. ISRO scientist K Radhakrishnan
2. NASA scientist James L. Smialek
3. Former President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
4. ISRO scientist Ritu Karidhal
5. Sardar Vallabhai PatelAnswer – 2. NASA scientist James L. Smialek
A new thermal spray coating technology used for gas turbine engine in spacecraft developed by Dr. Satish Tailor has gained the attention of NASA scientist James L. Smialek. The technology developed by Dr. Satish Tailor, a scientist from Rajasthan, was published in the journal Ceramics International and Thermal Spray Bulletin. Dr. Satish Tailor has developed the controlled segmented Yttria-Stabilised Zirconia (YSZ)-Plasma sprayed coating technology. It is said that, this technology reduces cost of thermal spray coating by 50%. Dr. Satish Tailor has shared his research papers with James L. Smialek.
- On 28th January 2018, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports launched the Pledge for Khelo India at the Khelo India School Games Carnival in Delhi. Khelo India School Games focuses on which of the below given games?
5. All the aboveAnswer – 5. All the above
On 28th January 2018, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports launched the Pledge for Khelo India at the Khelo India School Games Carnival in Delhi. Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Col. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore took the Khelo India pledge at the event. The pledge is about ensuring participation and developing sportsmanship spirit. It is expected to increase participation of youngsters in sports. This pledge will be shared with schools all over India, and the pledge will be taken by students and teachers. Khelo India School Games focuses on Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Gymnastics, Hockey, Judo, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, Shooting, Swimming, Volleyball, Weightlifting and Wrestling.
- Daya Nath Singh passed away recently. Who was he?
5. AthleteAnswer – 1. Journalist
Daya Nath Singh, senior journalist, passed away following a short-term illness, at a hospital in Assam. Daya Nath Singh was 82 years old. He is survived by his wife and five daughters. He had worked with newspapers like NewsStar, NewsFront and NortheastDaily. He had created articles for Eastern Panorama, Merinews and Assam Times also. He also served as office secretary at Guwahati Press Club for nearly 15 years.
- Name Chhattisgarh’s first Governor who passed away recently?
1. Surjit Singh
2. Dinesh Nandan Sahay
3. Krishan Kant
4. Geetanjali Maken
5. Syed AhmedAnswer – 2. Dinesh Nandan Sahay
Dinesh Nandan Sahay, Chhattisgarh’s first Governor passed away in Madhepura, Bihar. Dinesh Nandan Sahay was the first Governor of Chhattisgarh during the period 2000 -2003. He was also the former governor of Tripura. He was born on 2nd February 1936 in Madhepura, Bihar. He joined Indian Police Service in 1960.
- Football Delhi announced to celebrate whose birthday as Delhi’s Football Day?
1. Sunil Chhetri
2. Santosh Kashyap
3. Shaji Prabhakaran
4. Sukhadev Patil
5. Albino GomesAnswer – 1. Sunil Chhetri
Football Delhi announced that, Indian football Captain Sunil Chhetri’s birthday will be celebrated as Delhi’s Football Day. Sunil Chhetri’s birthday is 3rd August. The decision to make his birthday as Delhi’s Football Day was taken at a meeting of Football Delhi. The meeting was headed by President Shaji Prabhakaran. Sunil Chhetri is 33 years old. He has represented India in 97 International matches He also leads Bengaluru FC team currently. Football Delhi has also declared former International and Pro License Coach Santosh Kashyap’s birthday (June 12) as Football Delhi’s Coach Education Day.
- When is the World Leprosy Day observed all over the world?
1. 25th January
2. 26th January
3. 27th January
4. 28th January
5. 29th JanuaryAnswer – 4. 28th January
On 28th January 2018, World Leprosy Day was observed all over the world. The World Leprosy Day is celebrated every year on the last Sunday of January month. World Leprosy Day 2018 aims to attain Zero Disabilities and Zero Leprosy in the world. Leprosy is a disease that gradually damages the skin and nervous system. Early detection of leprosy will help healing the disease. This day was selected to commemorate the death of Mahatma Gandhi. Gandhi was a person who had realised the importance of leprosy.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Governor of Maharashtra?C. Vidyasagar Rao
- Dibru-Saikhowa National Park is located in which state?Assam
- Name the minister who is responsible for the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports?Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
- What is the capital of Finland?Helsinki
- Which is the biggest state in India?Rajasthan