Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Current Affairs January 2017 Quiz in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating quiz covering important event in Current Affairs, which is common for all the bank exams and other competitive exams.
- The Aditya Birla Group has decided to invest how much in next two years in the state of Andhra Pradesh to expand its existing business?
A.Rs. 6,500 crore
B.Rs. 7,100 crore
C.Rs. 7,000 crore
D.Rs. 5,000 crore
Answer – C.Rs 7,000 crore
The Aditya Birla Group on January 27, 2017 announced its plans to invest Rs 7,000 crore in the next two years in Andhra Pradesh. The company aims to expand its existing businesses in the state. The conglomerate already has investments of Rs 10,000 crore in the state across sectors like telecom, retail and cement.
- When is the International Holocaust Remembrance Day observed?
Answer – B.January 27
The 72nd International Holocaust Remembrance Day, anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp, was observed on January 27, 2017 by United Nation. The day was designated by the United Nations General Assembly Resolution on November 1, 2005 as an international memorial day to honor the memory of the victims of the Holocaust. Holocaust is the genocide that resulted in the annihilation of six million European Jews as well as millions of others by the Nazi regime.
- Who among the following women cricket player was inducted into the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame on January 23, 2017?
Answer – A.Betty Wilson
Two of Australia’s greatest top-order batsmen, David Boon and Matthew Hayden, and the brilliant women’s all-rounder Betty Wilson were inducted into the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame (ACHoF) at the 2017 Allan Border Medal ceremony in Sydney on January 23, 2017.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully tested its Cryogenic engine ______ on January 25, 2017 in Tamil Nadu.
Answer – D.C25
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully tested its indigenously developed Cryogenic engine designated as C25, on January 25, 2017 for 50 seconds at ISRO Propulsion Complex (IPRC) at Mahendragiri in Tamil Nadu. The cryogenic engine has been developed for use in the Upper Stage of GSLV Mk III rocket, which is scheduled to be launched within the first quarter of 2017. The C25 stage is the most powerful upper stage developed by ISRO and uses Liquid Oxygen and Liquid Hydrogen propellant combination.
- Which company has announced its intent to acquire US money transfer company MoneyGram for USD 880 million?
C.Microsoft Global Finance
Answer – D.Ant Financial
Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba’s financial arm, Ant Financial on January 26, 2017 reached an agreement to acquire U.S money transfer company MoneyGram for USD 880 million. With the acquisition, Alibaba aims to expand its business in America after India and Thailand. Earlier, it acquired Paytm in India and Ascend Money in Thailand.
- Which state’s governor has resigned on January 27, 2017 facing sexual harassment charges?
Answer – B.Meghalaya
Meghalaya governor, V Shanmuganathan finally resigned after Raj Bhavan staff accused him of sexual misconduct. Shanmuganathan is a veteran RSS activist from Tamil Nadu and was appointed Meghalaya Governor in May 2015. Last year, he was also given additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Which State has been ranked first in the Cashless India Scorecard by Walnut app released on January 26, 2017?
Answer – A.Gujarat
Telangana has been ranked at second spot in the `Cashless India Scorecard’ released on January 26, 2017 and prepared by Walnut app to measure the growth level in digital payments in the country post demonetization. The top three states in the scorecard were Gujarat, Telangana and Haryana respectively with the highest growth in going cashless.
- Who was the Chief Guest at the 68th Republic Day function held in New Delhi on January 26 2017?
A.Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan
B.Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
C.Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
D.Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Answer – A.Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan
The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan was on a three day visit to India from January 25-27, 2017 to be the Chief Guest at the 68th Republic Day Celebration on January 26, 2017 in New Delhi. Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE armed forces was personally received by PM Modi at the Delhi Airport and was given a ceremonial reception at the Rashtrapati Bhawan. He also paid tribute to Mahatma Gandhi at his memorial Rajghat.
- How many MoUs have been signed between India and UAE on January 25, 2017 to elevate bilateral ties to a Comprehensive Strategic Partnership?
Answer – C.14
In order to further boost strategic ties, India and United Arab Emirates (UAE) signed 14 agreements on January 25, 2017 after the delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan at the Hyderabad House, New Delhi. The area of MoUs included defence, comprehensive strategic partnership, shipping, agriculture, prevention and combating human trafficking and other allied sectors.
- Which electric utilities company inked an MoU with the UAE’s Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (ADWEA) on January 25, 2017 for cooperation in power sector?
A.Nuclear Power Corporation of India
B.Power Grid Corporation of India
Answer – B.Power Grid Corporation of India
A Central Power Sector PSU & Central Transmission Utility, Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PGCIL), signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (ADWEA) & its group of companies on January 25, 2017 in Gurgaon, for cooperation in power sector. The MoU was signed between Saeed Al Suwaidi, the Managing Director of Abu Dhabi Distribution Co (UAE), and Anil Mehra, the Executive Director- International Business of Power Grid Corporation. The main aim of this MoU is to cooperate in area such as smart grid; transmission technology and providing capability development; and training in the field of operation & maintenance, asset management, project management, power transmission & distribution, etc.
- What is the name of the month long Indian Naval exercise that began on January 24, 2017 to enable the Navy strengthen its inter-operability in complex environment?
Answer – D.Tropex
The Theatre Readiness Operational Exercise (TROPEX), an annual Indian Navy exercise kicked started on January 24, 2017 off the Western Seaboard. The last edition of the exercise was conducted in January 2015. The exercise will be conducted in phased manner both in harbour and at sea to undertake tasks of war-fighting and combat operations. The exercise will strengthen the inter-operability and joint operations of the Indian Navy in a complex environment.
- How much amount of Fund of Funds have been announced by the Government of Andhra Pradesh for investing in Fin-tech Start-ups?
A.Rs. 150 crore
B.Rs. 200 crore
C.Rs. 100 crore
D.Rs. 250 crore
Answer – C.Rs. 100 crore
The Andhra Pradesh under Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu has announced Rs 100-crore fund of funds on January 25, 2017 to invest in Fintech startups. Fintech is being seen as a promising space to generate job, thus the state has initiated an industry-academia-government partnership to tap and refine skilled talent available at cheaper costs to develop Visakhapatnam into a global fintech hub.
- What is the rank of India among 176 economies in the Corruption Perception Index (CPI) 2016 released on January 25, 2017 by Transparency International (TI)?
Answer – C.79
India has been ranked at 79th spot out of 176 countries in the Corruption Perception Index (CPI) for the year 2016 released on January 25, 2017 by the Berlin-based corruption watchdog Transparency International (TI). New Zealand and Denmark jointly shared the first position as the least corrupt nations while Somalia was rated as the most corrupt country in the list.
- Which telecom company has bagged $500 million contract by Vodafone for deploying and expanding 4G network in the country?
Answer – A.Nokia
Nokia Indian operation has bagged a contract worth $500 million (Rs 3,650 crore) from Mumbai based Vodafone for deployment and expansion of 4G network in the country. Nokia will cover 10 out of 22 telecom zones for Vodafone India in the country. It would cover Kolkata, Mumbai, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu-Chennai, Haryana, UP East, West Bengal, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir.
- Name the payment gateway to be launched by the government for its BHIM app that will allow the user to transact using biometrics and Aadhar number?
Answer – B.Aadhaar Pay
The Government on January 27, 2017 informed about its plan to launch the biometric based Aadhaar Pay payment platform in few weeks for BHIM App. Aadhaar Pay service will enable people to make and receive payments using their Aadhaar number and biometrics. The government enabled the Bharat Interface for Mobile (BHIM) app with Aadhaar number on January 26, 2017.
- What is the ranking of India in the annual list of Eight Great Powers of the year 2017 by American foreign policy magazine?
Answer – C.Sixth
India has been ranked at the sixth position in the latest annual list of eight great powers for the year 2017 published by leading American foreign policy magazine. The list has been topped by US, followed by China and Japan both at second place. The American Interest magazine in its latest annual report of eight great powers said that India is the world’s largest democracy, home to the second-largest English-speaking population in the world and has one of the most emerging economies of the world.
- In which city, the State Bank of India launched its wealth management product named “SBI Exclusif” on January 24, 2017?
Answer – A.Kochi
The State Bank of India has launched a new wealth management product named “SBI Exclusif” in Kochi, Kerala. Later it will be rolled out in other cities of the state during the course of the year. The product was launched by Chief General Manager, SBI, Kerala Circle, S Venkataraman on January 24, 2017. SBI Exclusif is targeted at fast growing affluent and high net worth customer segments of the bank.
- Which bank signed an MoU with agricultural equipments manufacturer Tirth Agro Technology Pvt Ltd on January 25, 2017 to boost agricultural financing to farmers?
A.South Indian Bank
B.Lakshmi Vilas Bank
C.Kotak Mahindra Bank
D.Karnataka Bank Ltd
Answer – D.Karnataka Bank Ltd
Mangaluru based private sector bank Karnataka Bank Ltd signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the leading agricultural equipment/implements manufacturer Tirth Agro Technology Pvt Ltd, Rajkot, on January 25, 2017 in to finance farmers for agri mechanization. The aim is to establish a platform for co-operation between the two in identifying farmers in need of buying agricultural implements/equipment and financing them by the bank on its terms. The Tirth Agro Technology Pvt Ltd manufactures agricultural implements under the brand name ‘Shaktiman’. It has a network of more than 685 dealers and 42 distributors across India.
- The “Health for Humanity Yogathon” organized by the Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh got recognition on its 10th anniversary from which country?
Answer – C.United States
The annual “Surya Namaskar Yajna” or “Health for Humanity Yogathon” has been recognized in the US House of Representative on the occasion of its 10th anniversary. Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh has organized the “Yoga for Health, Health for Humanity Yogathon” from January 14 to January 29 to mark Makar Sankranti.
- Who among the following scientist has been selected for the 2016 National Geoscience Award for work in the field of geo-environmental studies in Applied Geosciences.
A.Dr. A Keshav Krishna
B.Dr. V.M. Tiwari
C.Dr. Hari Narayan
D.Dr. N. Purnachandra Rao
Answer – A.Dr. A Keshav Krishna
Dr. A Keshav Krishna, a scientist at the National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI), Hyderabad has been selected for the 2016 National Geoscience Award in recognition of his work in the field of geo-environmental studies in Applied Geosciences. Besides, Dr. N. Purnachandra Rao, Chief Scientist at the National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI), has been selected for 2016 National Geoscience Award for recognition of his work in the field of Geophysics.
- How many Indian-Origin persons have been awarded the highest civilian honor of Australia for the year 2017?
Answer – D.Three
Three Indian-origin persons have been awarded Australia’s highest civilian honor this year for their contributions in the field of medicine and work towards the community. Purushottam Sawrikar, a Sydney-based medical practitioner, received Order of Australia medal for the year 2017 in General division category for his service to medicine, and to the Indian community. Makhan Singh Khangure from Perth received the award for his for significant service to medicine in the field of neuroradiology, to education, and to a range of professional medical associations. Vijay Kumar received the award for his significant service to medical research in the disciplines of nuclear medicine and biology, to professional organizations, and to the community.
- The HPCL and GAIL has signed pact with which state on January 27, 2017 to set up 40000 crore petrochemical plant in the state?
Answer – B.Andhra Pradesh
Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) and GAIL India Ltd signed a pact with Andhra Pradesh for setting up a Rs 40,000 crore petrochemical plant in the state. The 50:50 joint venture will set up a 1.5 million tons Ethylene Derivatives plant. The plant will produce a wide range of petrochemical raw materials for the manufacture of detergents, paints and coatings, cosmetics, textiles and adhesives. It will be set up at the Petroleum, Chemical and Petrochemicals Investment Region (PCPIR) sites identified by the state government at Kakinada.