Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Current Affairs January 2017 Quiz in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating quiz covering important event in Current Affairs, which is common for all the bank exams and other competitive exams.
- The responsibility to advise the government on better utilization of proceeds from disinvestment in Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) has been transferred from the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) to which department?
A.Department of Economic Affairs
B.Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion
C.Department of Public Enterprises
D.Department of Law & Justice
Answer – A.Department of Economic Affairs
The Union Cabinet has decided to transfer the role of advising the government on how to utilize the proceeds from disinvestment from the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) to the Department of Economic Affairs. The decision aims to make the process more efficient since the Department of Economic Affairs is in charge of budget-making, it will better decide the utilization of stake sales in public sector undertakings (PSUs).
- Under the Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017, approved by the government on January 24, 2017, a guaranteed rate of return of ______ per annum would be provided for a period of ten years.
Answer – D.8 Percent
As a part of government’s commitment for financial inclusion and social security the Union Cabinet has given its post-facto approval to launch Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017 (VPBY 2017) on January 24, 2017. The scheme aims to provide social security to elderly persons aged 60 years during their old age. Under the scheme, an assured pension with guaranteed rate of return of 8% per annum would be provided for a period of ten years. Besides, the nominee would have an option for pension on a monthly / quarterly / halfyearly and annual basis.
- The BCSBI has launched an initiative to organise “Know Your Rights” programme across the nation to create awareness on Banking Codes at the grassroot level among the people. Expand BCSBI.
A.Banking Credit and Standards Board of India
B.Business Corporate and Service Board of India
C.Banking Codes and Standards Board of India
D.Business Codes and Security Board of India
Answer – C.Banking Codes and Standards Board of India
The Banking Codes and Standards Board of India (BCSBI) has announced an initiative as per which it would organise “Know Your Rights” programme in select urban and rural areas of the country to enhance awareness on Banking Codes at the grassroot level among the people. The move aims to create awareness among the people about the commitment of the banks towards their customers. The programme would be conducted at three levels including Tier II cities, metros and other backward areas.
- What is the total production capacity of the world’s biggest solar farm, Longyangxia Dam Solar Park, developed by China?
Answer – B.850 MW
In an effort to become the super powerful occupier of green energy, China has built the world’s biggest solar park, Longyangxia Dam Solar Park, in the western province of Qinghai. The park spans over 27 square km of area and can produce 850 MW of power which is enough to supply up to 200,000 households. The construction of the solar park began in 2013 and total costs around $875 million (around Rs. 6,000 crore).
- The Union cabinet on January 24, 2017 approved the proposal of ITPO for the redevelopment of Pragati Maidan in New Delhi. What is the total cost of the project?
A.Rs. 2254 crore
B.Rs. 2500 crore
C.Rs. 3255 crore
D.Rs. 1245 crore
Answer – A.Rs. 2254 crore
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the proposal of India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) on January 24, 2017 for redevelopment of Pragati Maidan by setting up of a world class Integrated Exhibition-cum-Convention Centre (IECC) at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi. The project is worth Rs. 2,254 crore. Out of the total cost, ITPO will fund Rs.1,200 crore out of its free reserves while the remaining Rs. 1,054 crore would be raised through institutional loan, soft loan, external aid, land monetization with government guarantee for the amount of institutional loan.
- What does ITPO stands for?
A.Industrial Trade Promoting Organisation
B.India Trade Progress Organisation
C.India Trade Promotion Organisation
D.Industry and Trade Plan Operation
Answer – C.India Trade Promotion Organisation
India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) is a Mini Ratna Category-1 Company under the Department of Commerce and Industry. It is responsible to promote the external trade of the country. Headquartered in Pragati Maidan, New Delhi, it was found in April 1977. Retd. IAS LC Goyal is the chairman of the ITPO.
- Against which disease, the Supreme Court has directed the government on January 23, 2017 to adopt daily dosage drug instead of thrice a week dosage practice?
Answer – D.Tuberculosis (TB)
The Supreme Court on January 23, 2017 directed the government to replace the current practice of giving three-times-a-week dosage norm of tuberculosis (TB) drugs with a daily dosage norm within a period of nine months to curb relapse and deaths during treatment. A Bench headed by Chief Justice of India J.S. Khehar directed the government to ensure that every TB patients across the country are administered the new dosage regimen recently approved by the World Health Organisation.
- The Union Ministry of Steel launched a Draft National Steel Policy 2017 to reduce dependence on import and boost domestic production. What is the total cost of implementing the project?
A.Rs 15 lakh crore
B.Rs 10 lakh crore
C.Rs 25 lakh crore
D.Rs 30 lakh crore
Answer – B.Rs 10 lakh crore
The Union Ministry of Steel, headed by Chaudhary Birendra Singh has come out with a Draft National Steel Policy 2017 to increase the supply of domestic coking coal and cut the dependence on imports. Under the policy, the ministry has set an ambitious production target of building a capacity of 300 million tonnes (MT) per annum by 2030-31 which is more than double from 2015-16. The ministry estimates that an investment of Rs 10 lakh crore would be required to achieve the 300 MT target. Besides it would also generate 11 lakh new job opportunity. The steel sector presently employs about 25 lakh people.
- Start-Up incubator T-Hub has collaborated with which company on January 23, 2017 to launch GIS Innovation Hub for start-ups belonging to the capital Hyderabad?
Answer – D.Esri India
Telangana based India’s largest incubator for start-ups, T-Hub has launched a ‘GIS Innovation Hub’ (GIH) in collaboration with Esri India on January 23, 2017 for the start-ups belonging to the capital Hyderabad. Esri India is country’s leading Geographic Information System (GIS) software and solutions provider. The facility was inaugurated by Jack Dangermond, co-founder, president and CEO of Esri Inc.
- Which state has launched the “Chief Minister’s Award” on January 22, 2017 to reward the best performing district of the state in digital transaction?
Answer – D.Assam
In a bid to promote digital transaction in Assam, the Chief Minister of Assam, Sarbananda Sonowal on January 22, 2017 announced the launch of ‘Chief Minister’s Award’ while inaugurating the Digi Dhan Mela in the state. The Chief Minister’s Award would be given to the best performing district of the state that adopts digital payment methods and also educate larger section of the society about the cashless transaction.
- Who has been awarded the first Hugo Chavez Prize for Peace and Sovereignty on January 18, 2017 by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro?
Answer – A.Vladimir Putin
Russia’s President Vladimir Putin was awarded the first ever Hugo Chavez Prize for Peace and Sovereignty by the Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on January 18, 2017 at the Presidential Palace in Miraflores, Caracas, Venezuela. The Peace Prize has been named in honor of late Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez who served as the 64th President of Venezuela from 1999 to 2013.
- The CMs committee on Digital Payments submitted the interim report to PM Modi on January 24, 2017. Who is the head of the committee?
A.M Venkaiah Naidu
B .Chandra Babu Naidu
Answer – B.Shri Chandra Babu Naidu
The CMs Committee on Digital Payments led by the convener and Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister, Shri Chandra Babu Naidu submitted the interim report on Digital Payments to the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi on January 24, 2017.. The 13 member Committee of Chief Ministers was formed by the government in November 2016 to promote digital payment systems to promote transparency, financial inclusion and also prepare a roadmap in this regard.
- Who has been appointed as the director of United Nations Information Centre (UNIC), New Delhi on January 20, 2017?
Answer – B.Derk Segaar
Derk Segaar has been appointed Director of the New Delhi based United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) covering India and the Kingdom of Bhutan by the UN Secretary-General António Guterres. Segaar had served as the Chief of the United Nations Resident Coordinators Office and Head of the United Nations Mission in South Sudans (UNMISS) Relief, Reintegration and Protection Section from 2013.
- The Election Commission gave the green signal to the government on January 24, 2017 to present the Union Budget on _______ ahead of the assembly polls in 5 states of the country.
Answer – C.February 1
The Election Commission on January 24, 2017 gave its nod to the Centre to present the Union Budget on February 1 ahead of the Assembly polls in 5 states of Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Manipur, Punjab and Goa. However, the commission has restricted the government to announce any schemes related to these states or to refer to government’s achievements in these states. The decision aims to have a free and transparent poll in the state instead and present a full fledges budget instead of vote-on-account budget.
- Who has been named as the brand ambassador of the Kings XI Punjab team for the 10th edition of the Indian Premier League?
Answer – D.Virender Sehwag
Former Indian opener Virender Sehwag, the mentor of Kings XI Punjab, will also be the team’s head of Cricket Operations and Strategy in the 10th edition of the Indian Premier League. Sehwag will not only be the head of Cricket, but also be the brand ambassador for the Punjab franchise.
- Who has been sworn in as the chairman of the Eastern India Regional Council of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) taking the office from January 19, 2017?
Answer – B.Siddhartha Murarka
Siddhartha Murarka has been appointed as the Chairman of the Eastern India Regional Council of The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI). His term began from January 19. Murarka is also a “regular faculty” at ICAI and other professional bodies and chambers of commerce like the Merchant Chamber of Commerce and the BCCI.
- Who has been named the new director of the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) on January 23, 2017?
C.Tom J. Vilsack
Answer – A.Mike Pompeo
A conservative Republican from Kansas, Mike Pompeo was sworn in as the new director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) on January 23, 2017 by the United States Vice President Mike Pence. Pompeo won with a vote of 66-32. This makes him the third official cabinet member of US Senate.
- Which ministry has launched the Rubber Soil Information System (RubSIS) on January 23, 2017 to enhance the productivity of rubber with reduced cost of production?
A.Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare
B.Ministry of Commerce & Industry
C.Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship
D.Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
Answer – B.Ministry of Commerce & Industry
The Minister of Commerce & Industry, Smt Nirmala Sitharaman launched Rubber Soil Information System (RubSIS) on January 23, 2017 in New Delhi, to provide the detail about the soil quality to the rubber growers to enhance productivity besides reducing the cost of production. RubSIS is an online platform developed to recommend application of appropriate mix of fertilizers to the specific plantations of rubber growers depending upon their soil nature.
- What is the name of the theatre on demand service launched by the multiplex chain operator PVR on January 20, 2017?
Answer – B.VKAAO
The Multiplex chain operator PVR has launched a theatre on demand service ‘VKAAO’ on January 20, 2017. Vkaao is an online platform that will enable consumers to watch any movie of their choice at a theatre of their choice. It would empower the viewers to choose what they want to watch, when and where. Initially 500 films titles would be listed for selection in different languages and genres and minimum 50 seats would be required to confirm a show.
- India has partnered with which country to launch a project to tackle the air pollution level in Delhi and deal with the health problems associated with it?
A.United States of America
Answer – D.Britain
Indian has partnered with the British experts over a project that aims to study the air pollution level in Delhi and health problems associated it. The project ‘ASAP-Delhi: An Integrated Study of Air Pollutant Sources in the Delhi National Capital Region’ would be led by University of Birmingham and would also involve experts from the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, the Indian National Physical Laboratory and the University of Surrey.
- When is the National Girl Child day celebrated?
Answer – A.January 24
The National Girl Child Day was celebrated on January 24, 2017 at a special function organized by the Ministry of Women & Child Development in New Delhi with focus on celebrating the achievements by nation’s daughters during 2016. The Day has been celebrated on January 24 every year since 2008 to raise awareness among people about all the inequalities faced by the girl child and spread the importance of girl child in the society.
- Who is the winner of the seventh Snookers Masters title held at Alexandra Palace in London on January 22, 2017?
Answer – C.Ronnie O’Sullivan
Ronnie O’Sullivan won a record seventh Masters title against Joe Perry 10-7 in the final at London’s Alexandra Palace on January 22, 2017. Perry, in his first Triple Crown final at the age of 42, led 4-1 but missed a straightforward red for a 5-1 lead. O’Sullivan won seven frames in a row to move 8-4 ahead before Perry, helped by breaks of 117 and 92, fought back.