AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 22 January 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Name the first Airport in India, that acquired Disabled Aircraft Recovery Equipment (DARE) from KUNZ GmbH to recover disabled aircraft up to Code F category and enabling faster resumption of operations .
1) Kempegowda International Airport (KIA)
2) Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport (LGBIA)
3) Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA)
4) Jay Prakash Narayan International Airport (JPNIA)
5) Cochin International Airport (CIA)
Answer-1) Kempegowda International Airport (KIA)
On 14th January 2020, An agreement was signed by The Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) to acquire Disabled Aircraft Recovery Equipment (DARE) to enhance operational capabilities and to reduce downtime during runway emergencies. The Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) has signed an agreement with a German based company KUNZ GmbH to manufacture, supply, commission and maintain the specialized equipment for Kempegowda International Airport (KIA), Banglore.This will make Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) the first airport in the region to acquire such facility to recover disabled aircraft up to Code F category and enabling faster resumption of operations.
- What was the theme of the 2nd edition of ‘NIC Tech Conclave 2020’ inaugurated by Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad in New Delhi ?
1) Theme – “Advance Manufacturing with Quality, Innovation & Technology Interventions”
2) Theme – “Access for all: Leveraging Innovations & Investments”
3) Theme – “Technologies for NextGen Governance”
4) Theme – “Accessible Technologies for NextGen”
5) Theme – “Science and Technology: Rural Development”
Answer-3) Theme – “Technologies for NextGen Governance”
On January 21, 2020, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad ,the Union Minister for Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology(IT), has inaugurated a 2-day long 2nd edition of ‘NIC TechConclave 2020’based on the theme “Technologies for NextGen Governance” held at Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi.
- Name the first state in India that implemented agricultural land leasing policy recently .
5) West Bengal
Uttarakhand has become the first state in India which has made a policy to lease agricultural land. After the approval of Rashtrapati Bhavan, the state government has issued the order. Under this leasing policy, instead of giving land on a 30-year lease, the concerned farmer will get the rent for the land. By this policy any institutions, company, firm or NGO can take farm lands of maximum 30 acres in villages for lease for a period of 30 years and the government land around farm land can be taken for lease by paying the fee with the permission of the District Magistrate.
- Which country was declared as the “reciprocating territory” under Section 44A of Civil Procedure Code (CPC), 1908 by Ministry of Law and Justice recently ?
2) Saudi Arabia
4) United Arab Emirates (UAE)
5) United States (US)
Answer-4) United Arab Emirates (UAE)
The Central Government has declared the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to be a “reciprocating territory” under Section 44A of Civil Procedure Code (CPC), 1908. The order was issued by the Ministry of Law and Justice.By this the order passed by the superior Courts of UAE can now be enforced in India as if they had been passed by the local courts in India.Section 44A provides the law on the subject of execution of decrees of Courts in India by foreign Courts and vice versa.The decision is believed to help bring down the time required for executing decrees between the two countries.
- Name the country, that assumes the chairmanship of Group of 77 (G77) for the year 2020 from the State of Palestine recently.
4) South Africa
Guyana takes over chairmanship of the Group of 77 (G77) for the year 2020. It assumes the chairmanship of the Group from the State of Palestine. The United Nations (UN) celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2020. The G77 is the largest intergovernmental organization of developing countries in the UN. It was designed to promote its members’ collective economic interests and create an enhanced joint negotiating capacity in the UN.
- What is the target year set by United Nations (UN) to Net Zero Carbon Emissions?
UN emissions has set 2050 as the target year to achieve net zero Carbon Emissions.
- As per University Maritime Advisory Services (UMAS) experts study, how much total outlay has to be spend on new fuel technology to decarbonise the international shipping to meet United Nation (UN) emissions targets by 2050 ?
1) $.5 trillion (£0.4 trillion)
2) $1.5 trillion (£1.2 trillion)
3) $1 trillion (£0.8 trillion)
4) $2 trillion (£1.6 trillion)
5) $3 trillion (£2.4 trillion)
Answer-3) $1 trillion (£0.8 trillion)
On January 20, 2020, According to a new study by experts from University Maritime Advisory Services (UMAS), London, England, which includes University College London’s (UCL) Energy Institute & the Energy Transitions Commission,the shipping industry must spend a scale of investment of at least $1 trillion (£0.8 trillion) on new fuel technology to decarbonise the international shipping if it is to meet UN emissions targets by 2050.
- Under which portal, Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME’s) availed a loan worth 70,000 crore rupees till January 13, 2020 ?
Under the scheme of providing loan to Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME’s) within 59 minutes nearly 70,000 crore rupees has been disbursed till January 13, 2020. The report was given by the Ministry of Finance (MOF). Loan was given to 2.19 lakh applications out of 2.73 lakh applications. The government has introduced loan provision to MSMEs through a dedicated online portal- www.psbloansin59minutes.com. This portal acts as a single interface portal which facilitates in principal approval of bank loans to Micro Small and Medium Enterprises upto five crore rupees within 59 minutes.
- Name the bank that launched the Cardless cash withdrawal facility from its ATMs (Automated Teller Machine) with transaction limit of Rs 20,000 per day through its mobile app ‘iMobile’ recently .
1) ICICI Bank
2) HDFC Bank
3) Axis Bank
4) State Bank of India (SBI)
5) Canara Bank
Answer-1) ICICI Bank
On January 21, 2020, ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India) Bank, an Indian multinational bank has launched Cardless cash withdrawal facility from its ATMs (Automated Teller Machine) with a per day transaction limit of Rs 20,000. With this, customers can withdraw cash from more than 15,000 ATMs of the bank through the bank’s mobile banking application ‘iMobile’ .
- Which insurance company has merged with National Insurance Company Limited (NICL) along with United India Insurance Company Ltd (UIIC) ?
1) IFFCO Tokio General Insurance
2) HDFC ERGO General Insurance
3) Oriental Insurance Company Ltd (OICL)
4) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance (BAGI)
5) New India Assurance (NIA)
Answer-3) Oriental Insurance Company Ltd (OICL)
On January 20, 2020, The Board of National Insurance Company Limited (NICL) has approved its merger with Oriental Insurance Company Ltd (OICL) and United India Insurance Company Ltd (UIIC). The merger would help cut down costs and achieve economies of scale. The board of OICL and UIIC had already approved the merger at their board meetings held in Delhi, before the board of NICL.New India Assurance Company may also be involved in this merger & The General Insurers’ Public Sector Association (India) is said to approve the amalgamation.
- ________ edition of minutes of Central Board of Directors (BoD)meeting was released recently by Reserve Bank of India as part of the central bank’s transparency initiative .
On January 21, 2020, For the 1st time, India central bank, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released the minutes of the 579th meeting of Central Board of Directors (BoD) held in Chandigarh on October 11, 2019 as part of the central bank’s transparency initiative.
- Name the government agency that has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Navy for ‘Sharing of seabed sediments data, products and expertise for Naval Application in Meteorology and Oceanography’ .
1) Meteorological Survey of India (MSI)
2) National Institute of Oceanography (NIO)
3) Indian Meteorological Department (IMD)
4) Geological Survey of India (GSI)
5) Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)
Answer-4) Geological Survey of India (GSI)
On 21st January 2020, Indian Navy signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Geological Survey of India (GSI) for sharing seabed sediments data, products and expertise for Naval application in Meteorology and Oceanography. Mangaluru based Marine and Coastal survey division has mapped 2.1 Million km2 Exclusive Economic Zone and has a vast repository of offshore data. The data has been collected using GSI’s state-of-the art oceanic research vessels Samudra Manthan, Samudra Kaustubh, Samudra Shaudhikama and Samudra Ratnakar.
- Who was conferred with the ‘Champions of Change Award-2019’ for social welfare (Aspirational Districts) by Former President Pranab Mukherjee recently ?
1) Deepa Venkat
2) Hemant Soren
3) Manish Shisodia
4) Acharya Balakrishnan
5) Anurag Thakur
Answer-2) Hemant Soren
On January 20,2020 Jharkhand CM (Chief Minister) Hemant Soren was conferred with ‘Champions of Change Award-2019’ for social welfare (Aspirational Districts) by Former President Pranab Mukherjee at a function in New Delhi. Award Contribution:The award is contributed to Hemant for his work in the Barhait and Dumka assembly constituencies in the state. Other awardees are:
1.Shri Manish Shisodia (Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi),( Education)
2.Shri Anurag Thakur (Minister of State MoS Finance & Corporate Affairs), Social Welfare
3.Shri Acharya Balakrishnan ( Patanjali),Social Welfare
4.Ms.Shilpa Shetty & Raj Kundra (Swachh Bharat).
5.Smt I.Deepa Venkat (Social Welfare),Swarna Bharat Trust, Andhra Pradesh.
6.Shri Suresh Oberoi & Sister Shivani (Culture) (The Awakening of Brahma Kumaris)
7.Smt.Geeta Koda (Member of Parliament MP, Lok Sabha), Social Welfare (Aspirational Districts)
8.Shri Allu Arvind (Social welfare) – Andhra Pradesh
- Which organization presents the 14th edition “Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards” ?
1) CNBC Group
2) Express Group
3) Rediff Group
4) Economic Times
5) Hindu Group
Answer-2) Express Group
On January 20,2020 President of India Shri.Ram Nath Kovind, presented “14th Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards” at a ceremony in New Delhi. Ramnath Goenka:Ramnath Goenka was an Indian newspaper publisher who launched Indian Express in 1932 and the award is given by his name since 2006 by the Express Group.
- Which initiative along with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) hosted a 3 day “Youth Co:Lab -National Innovation Challenge” in New Delhi .
1) Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)
2) Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
3) Udyam Sakhi initiative
4) LaQshya Initiative
5) Samadhaan initiative
Answer-1) Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)
On January 17, 2020 Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) NITI Aayog and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) hosted a three day long Youth Co:Lab -National Innovation Challenge in New Delhi.The programme aims at fostering technology, promoting youth leadership and social entrepreneurship in India. This programme supports young people by catalysing youth-led innovation and empowers them through Youth Co:Lab.
- Who will chair the, “National Startup Advisory Council” that will provide measures to build a strong ecosystem for new innovations and start-ups in India?
1) Prakash Javadekar
2) Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu
3) Piyush Vedprakash Goyal
4) Nitin Gadkari
5) Nirmala Sitharaman
Answer-3) Piyush Vedprakash Goyal
On January 21,2020 The Central Government announced the structure of the National Startup Advisory Council, chaired by the Union Minister of Commerce and Industry(MoCI) Shri Piyush Vedprakash Goyal. The council will provide measures to build a strong ecosystem for new innovations and start-ups in the country. AIM: The council aims to increase the economic growth and generate large scale employment opportunities in India.
- Which country topped in the corporate commitments to science-based targets (SBT) as per the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP)’s report titled “Climate and business partnership of the future: CDP India Annual Report 2019” ?
2) United States of America (USA)
4) United Kindom (UK)
Answer-2) United States of America (USA)
On January 20, 2020, According to the “Climate and business partnership of the future: CDP India Annual Report 2019” released by CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project), a not-for-profit charity running the global disclosure system for investors, companies to manage their environmental impacts, United States of America (USA) topped among the countries surveyed for corporate commitments to science-based targets (SBT). As per the report, 58 Indian companies shared details about the environment-related activities undertaken by them in 2019.
- At what position, India ranks in the corporate commitments to science-based targets (SBT) as per the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP)’s report titled “Climate and business partnership of the future: CDP India Annual Report 2019” ?
On January 20, 2020, According to the “Climate and business partnership of the future: CDP India Annual Report 2019” released by CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project), a not-for-profit charity running the global disclosure system for investors, companies to manage their environmental impacts, India has ranked 5th among the countries surveyed for corporate commitments to science-based targets (SBT).
Top 5 countries with SBT companies:
Rank Country SBT Companies 1 United States of America (USA) 135 2 Japan 83 3 United Kindom (UK) 78 4 France 51 5th India 58
- Which city topped in the Knight Frank’s Global Residential Cities Index Q3 (Quarter) 2019 recently ?
1) New Delhi, India
2) Wuhan, China
3) Budapest, Hungary
4) Xi’an, China
5) Washington D.C., United States
Answer-3) Budapest, Hungary
In the Knight Frank’s Global Residential Cities Index Q3 (Quarter) 2019, Budapest in Hungary with the highest annual growth rate of 24% topped the Index, it is followed by Xi’an and Wuhan in China at 15.9% and 14.9%.
- Name the Indian city that ranked 14th & topped among other Indian cities in the Knight Frank’s Global Residential Cities Index Q3 (Quarter) 2019 .
5) New Delhi
In the Knight Frank’s Global Residential Cities Index Q3 (Quarter) 2019, Hyderabad has ranked 14th among 150 cities in the World with an appreciation of 9% in residential prices on a YoY (Year-over-Year) basis. According to the report, Indian cities that have seen an appreciation in home prices are New Delhi at the 73rd rank globally with a 3.2% rise, Bengaluru at the 94th rank with a 2% appreciation and Ahmedabad at the 108th rank with a 1.1% growth.
- Name the firm that acquired Uber Eats valued at about $350 million (nearly Rs 2,485 crore) recently .
On January 21, 2020, Zomato, an Indian restaurant aggregator and food delivery startup has acquired Uber’s food delivery business in India, Uber Eats in an all-stocks deal valued at about $350 million (nearly Rs 2,485 crore).As part of the deal, Uber will now hold only 9.99 % shares of Zomato & UberEats will discontinue operations and direct restaurants, delivery partners. Further, all of Uber Eats’ customers will be directed to Zomato platform.
- How much total outlay was approved by the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh for the procurement of military equipment from indigenous sources ?
1) 4,200 crores
2) 4,700 crores
3) 5,500 crores
4) 4,500 crores
5) 5,100 crores
Answer-5) 5,100 crores
On 21st January 2020, The Defense Acquisition Council (DAC) chaired by Defense Minister Rajnath Singh approved the procurement of military equipment from indigenous sources worth over Rs. 5,100 crores.The procurement of military equipment includes sophisticated Electronic Warfare Systems designed by the Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) which are manufactured by the Indian industry. The Defense Acquisition Council (DAC) also approved the prototype testing of trawl assemblies designed by the DRDO for T-72 and T-90 tanks and to the construction of six conventional submarines for Navy in India.It was the first meeting of The Defense Acquisition Council (DAC) after the appointment of Chief of the Defense Staff Gen. Bipin Rawat.
- Name the 1st state in India that uses face recognition app in 2020 in its Municipal polls on pilot basis.
2) Uttar Pradesh
4) West Bengal
5) None of these
On January 20, 2020, the Telangana State Election Commission(TSEC) of the Indian state of Telangana, for the first time in India will use facial recognition in the Telangana Municipal polls to tackle the counter impersonation by the voters. This will be done on a pilot basis in selected 10 polling stations of Telangana’s Kompally Municipality of Medchal Malkajgiri district.
- Which country was affected by “Novel coronavirus (nCoV)” recently ?
5) None of these
On January 20, 2020 the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare(MoHFW) of govt. of India has initiated various measures as a precaution for the recent outbreak of the 2019 Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in China. The Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) has been asked to facilitate thermal screening at the international airports of Delhi, Mumbai(Maharashtra), Kolkata (West Bengal), Chennai(Tamil Nadu), Bengaluru (Karnataka), Hyderabad(Telangana) and Cochin (Kerala) under the guidelines of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO).
- Name the World’s first living, self-healing robots discovered by Scientists of the University of Vermont and Tufts University using stem cells from frogs .
Scientists of the University of Vermont and Tufts University have created the world’s first living and self-healing robots Xenobots, using stem cells from frogs. It is named after the African clawed frog, Xenopus laevis from which they take stem cells.Xenobots are new class of artifact: a living, programmable organism, which don’t look like traditional robots. These are marchines which are less than a millimeter (0.04 inches) in width and are small enough to travel inside human bodies. They can walk and swim, survive for weeks without food, and work together in groups.
- Name the Indian Tennis Player, who won the 2020 women’s doubles title of the 27th WTA (World Tennis Association) Hobart International Trophy along with Ukrainian player Nadiia Kichenok .
1) Ankita Raina
2) Rishika Sunkara
3) Shikha Uberoi
4) Isha Lakhani
5) Sania Mirza
Answer-5) Sania Mirza
Indian Tennis Player Sania Mirza and her Ukrainian partner Nadiia Kichenok have won the 2020 women’s doubles title of the 27th WTA (World Tennis Association) Hobart International Trophy held in Hobart, Australia. Cash Award: Sania and Nadiia received a cash award of $13580 as prize money.In final, they defeated Shauli Peng and Shaui Zhang of China 6-4, 6-4.Achievement: It is Sania’s 42nd WTA doubles title and first since Brisbane International Trophy in 2007 with American partner Bethanie Mattek-Sands.
- Who won the gold medal in the “Men’s 65kg freestyle” category in the 1st UWW (United World Wrestling) Matteo Pellicone Rome Ranking Series 2020 ?
1) Sunil Kumar
2) Bajrang Punia
3) Ravi Kumar Dahiya
4) Gurpreet Singh
5) Sajan Bhanwal
Answer-2) Bajrang Punia
The Indian wrestling team has clinched 7 medals (4 gold, 2 silver, and a bronze) in the 1st UWW (United World Wrestling) Matteo Pellicone Rome Ranking Series 2020 held from January 15 – 18, 2020 in the Italian Capital, Rome. Bajrang Punia won the gold against USA’s Jordan Michael Oliver in 65kg freestyle category by 4-3 scores. On the other hand, Wrestler Ravi Kumar Dahiya clinched the gold by defeating Kazakhstan’s Nurbolat Abdualiyev with 12-2 scores in 61 kg category final.
- Vinesh Phogat won the gold medal in the “women’s 53kg category” in the 1st UWW (United World Wrestling) Matteo Pellicone Rome Ranking Series 2020.She belongs to which sport ?
The Indian wrestling team has clinched 7 medals (4 gold, 2 silver, and a bronze) in the 1st UWW (United World Wrestling) Matteo Pellicone Rome Ranking Series 2020 held from January 15 – 18, 2020 in the Italian Capital, Rome. Vinesh Phogat, an Indian wrestler, who won Commonwealth (2014 Glasgow, 2018 Gold Coast) & 2018 Asian Games, has won the final of the Rome Ranking Series 2020. She defeated Ecuador’s Luisa Elizabeth Valverde to win the gold medal in 53 Kg category by a scoreline of 4-0.
- Princess Saleha Sultan also known as Dimpu passed away recently, she belonged to which state ?
1) Madhya Pradesh
4) Andhra Pradesh
Answer-1) Madhya Pradesh
On January 20,2020 Princess Saleha Sultan also known as Dimpu, the “titular queen of Bhopal” passed away in Hyderabad due to brain haemorrhage at the age of 80. She was born on 14 January 1940 in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.Saleha Sultan was best known for her calm, caring and royal in her mannerisms.Saleha Sultan accomplished her research at St.George’s International School,Switzerland.She is the eldest child of Nawab Ifteqar Ali Khan Pataudi and Begum Sajida Sultan of the princely state of Bhopal and titled ‘Begum of Bhopal’.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Ravi Kumar Dahiya is seen in news recently, he belonged to which sport ?
Ravi Kumar Dahiya belongs to Wrestling.He was in news recently because he won gold medal in the 61kg freestyle in 1st UWW (United World Wrestling) Matteo Pellicone Rome Ranking Series 2020 .
- Who was recently appointed as the Deputy Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) ?
Answer-Michael Debabrata Patra
- Name the Chairman & MD of United India Insurance Company Ltd (UIIC) ?
- Where is the Headquarters of Group of 77 (G77) ?
- Who is the Director General of Geological Survey of India (GSI) ?
Answer-Shri S N Meshram
[su_button url=”https://affairscloud.com/current-affairs/january-2020/” target=”self” style=”default” background=”#2D89EF” color=”#FFFFFF” size=”5″ wide=”no” center=”no” radius=”auto” icon=”” icon_color=”#FFFFFF” text_shadow=”none” desc=”” download=”” onclick=”” rel=”” title=”” id=”” class=””]Click Here to Try January Current Affairs 2020 Quiz[/su_button]