AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 1 & 2 January 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Which city topped in the 5th edition of Swachh Survekshan League 2020 (Quarter 1 and Quarter 2) having more than 10 lakh population ?
1) Nashik, Maharashtra
2) Surat, Gujarat
3) Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
4) Indore, Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Indore, Madhya Pradesh
On December 31, 2019 the union minister of State (MoS- Independent Charge) Housing and Urban Affairs(MoHUA) Shri Hardeep Singh Puri,has announced the results of Swachh Survekshan League 2020 (Quarter 1 and Quarter 2) at an event in New Delhi. During the event, the 5th edition of the Swachh Survekshan 2020 (urban cleanliness survey), which is to commence from 4 January 2020 by MoHUA was also rolled out. >10lakh population: Among the cities with more than 10 lakh population category, Indore ranked 1st in both quarter 1 and quarter 2.
- Name the only state, that didn’t participate in the 5th edition of Swachh Survekshan League 2020 .
2) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer-2) West Bengal
On December 31, 2019 the union minister of State (MoS- Independent Charge) Housing and Urban Affairs(MoHUA) Shri Hardeep Singh Puri,has announced the results of Swachh Survekshan League 2020 (Quarter 1 and Quarter 2) at an event in New Delhi. During the event, the 5th edition of the Swachh Survekshan 2020 (urban cleanliness survey), which is to commence from 4 January 2020 by MoHUA was also rolled out. It is also to be noted that West Bengal alone did not participate in the Swachh Survekshan League 2020.
- What is the total outlay of the National Infrastructure Pipeline for 2019-2025 (NIP 2019-25) project that was released by Union Minister of Finance Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman recently ?
1) Rs 105 lakh crores
2) Rs 110 lakh crores
3) Rs 102 lakh crores
4) Rs 100 lakh crores
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Rs 102 lakh crores
On December 31, 2019 the union Minister of Finance Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman released a report of the task force on National Infrastructure Pipeline for 2019-2025 (NIP 2019-25) inorder to achieve the $5 trillion economy by 2024-25 .Rs 102 lakh crores has been projected on the capital expenditure in infrastructure sectors in India during the fiscals 2020 to 2025.
- Who heads the task force, that prepared the Rs. 102 lakh crore “National Infrastructure Pipeline for the year 2019-20 to 2024-25” ?
1) Narendra Modi
2) Girish Murmu
3) Atanu Chakraborty
4) Nirmala Sitharaman
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Atanu Chakraborty
On December 31, 2019 the union Minister of Finance Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman released a report of the task force on National Infrastructure Pipeline for 2019-2020 to 2024-2025 (NIP 2019-25) inorder to achieve the $5 trillion economy by 2024-25 . Based on the information compiled by the task force headed by Economic Affairs Secretary Atanu Chakraborty, Rs 102 lakh crores has been projected on the capital expenditure in infrastructure sectors in India during the fiscals 2020 to 2025. The capital expenditure will be shared by the Centre, States and the private sector in the ratio 39:39:22 respectively.
- Which sector received the maximum investment (i.e. 1,963,943 crores) from the National Infrastructure Pipeline for the year 2019-20 to 2024-25 ?
1) Road sector
2) Energy sector
3) Agriculture sector
4) Railway sector
5) None of theseAnswer-1) Road sector
Road sector: Fund allocation: Rs. 1,963,943 crores. Vision: The total length of the National Highway(NH) has to be increased to 1.99 lakh km with 10% (20000km) of the total NH should be in major economic corridors. Fastag and RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) devices to be increased based on ‘pay as per use’ concept. Current status: The NH length at present is 1.32 lakh km including expressways of 1,600 km. private sector participation in NH is very low at 15%.
- How much fund was allocated to Railway Sector under National Infrastructure Pipeline for the year 2019-2020 to 2024-25 ?
1) Rs. 15.69 lakh crores
2) Rs. 11.69 lakh crores
3) Rs. 12.69 lakh crores
4) Rs. 13.69 lakh crores
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Rs. 13.69 lakh crores
Railway sector: Fund allocation: Rs.13.69 lakh crores. Vision: Private sector participation to be 30% of net cargo volumes. Privatising 500 passenger trains. Privatising 30% of 750 railway stations. Mumbai–Ahmedabad high-speed rail corridor (HSR) to be made operational. 100% electrification of railway network. Current status: The current low modal share of Indian Railways (IR) in freight traffic stands at 33%. Only 46% of the existing railway network has been electrified as of March 31, 2018.
- Who chairs the 7-member Group of Ministers (GoM) that reviews the crop insurance scheme ,“Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)” ?
1) Nirmala Sitharaman
2) Rajnath Singh
3) Amit Shah
4) Prakash Javadekar
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Rajnath Singh
On December 28, 2019, The central Government has formed a 7-member group of ministers (GoM) headed by Defense Minister Rajnath Singh to review the crop insurance scheme ,“Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)” & make suggestions to improve it according to the needs of the farmers.The group also includes Home Minister (HM) Amit Shah and Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar and Minister of State for Agriculture, Finance, Tribal Affairs and Animal Husbandry.
- Which metro station was renamed as ‘Supreme Court metro station’ recently by the committee headed by Manish Sisodia ?
1) Rajiv Chowk metro station
2) Raja Nahar Singh metro station
3) Pragati Maidan metro station
4) Punjabi Bagh West metro station
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Pragati Maidan metro station
On 31st December 2019, Deputy CM Manish Sisodia said that The Delhi Government’s renaming committee has renamed Pragati Maidan metro station as Supreme Court metro station. The demand was made by the Supreme court in September 2019. Key Points: i.The committee has also decided to rename Mukarba Chowk and its flyover after Kargil war martyr Captain Vikram Batra, MB Road as Acharya Sri Mahapragya Marg and The Lajpat Nagar flyover to Jhulelal Setu. ii.The committee has been constituted in 2017 based on the approval of Lieutenant governor Anil Baijal, and the committee was headed by the Deputy CM Manish Sisodia.
- Which city is set to host the 14th Global healthcare summit in the year 2021 ?
1) Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh(AP)
2) New Delhi, Delhi
3) Mumbai, Maharashtra
4) Kolkata, West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer-1) Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh(AP)
On December 31, 2019, The American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI), a professional association for Indian American physicians, is set to organize a 3-days long 14th Global Healthcare Summit (GHS) in Visakhapatnam,Andhra Pradesh(AP) from January 3, 2021 for the 1st time. Over the past few years, AAPI has been collaborating with several professional medical associations & made key role in addressing diabetes with the launch of Sevak programme and CPR-AED(Proper cardiopulmonary resuscitation-automated external defibrillator) training.
- Name the 5th department that was created under Ministry of Defence (MoD) after a change in Government of India (Allocation of Business), Rules 1961.
1) Department of Defence
2) Department of Military affairs (DMA)
3) Department of Defence Production
4) Department of Defence Research and Development
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Department of Military affairs (DMA)
Department of Military affairs (DMA)was the newly created department. The new department works for the unity of the three forces Army, Navy and Air Force and will also monitor the services except capital acquisitions according to prevalent rules and procedures. The DMA is the 5th department in the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and was created after a change in Government of India (Allocation of Business), Rules 1961.The other existing 4 departments under MoD are are the Department of Defence, the Department of Defence Production, the Department of Defence Research and Development and the Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare.
- Who will head the newly created Department of Military affairs (DMA) ?
1) Ram Nath Kovind
2) Rajnath Singh
3) Narendra Modi
4) Bipin Rawat
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Bipin Rawat
Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Gen Bipin Rawat will be the head of the newly created Department of Military affairs (DMA). The new department works for the unity of the three forces Army, Navy and Air Force and will also monitor the services except capital acquisitions according to prevalent rules and procedures. The DMA is the 5th department in the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and was created after a change in Government of India (Allocation of Business), Rules 1961.
- Which became the first state in India to pass a resolution scrapping the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) ?
1) West Bengal
2) Andhra Pradesh
4) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Kerala
On December 31, 2019 the state govt. of Kerala became the 1st state in the country to pass a resolution scrapping the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA). The resolution was moved by Kerala’s Chief Minister Shri Pinarayee Vijayan and was seconded by the Leader of Opposition Ramesh Chennithala.It was also stated during the assembly that when the Citizenship Act was passed in 1955, it followed all international conventions. But the present act passed by the central govt was claimed to have not followed the international conventions.
- Name the app launched by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor, Shri Shaktikanta Das that would help visually impaired people to identify denomination of currency notes .
1) “VANIA” (Visually Aided Note Identifier Application)
2) “MVANI” (Mobile app for Visually Aided Note Identifier)
3) “VANI” (Visually Aided Note Identifier)
4) “MANI” (Mobile Aided Note Identifier)
5) None of theseAnswer-4) “MANI” (Mobile Aided Note Identifier)
On January 1, 2020 the 25th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Shri Shaktikanta Das launched a mobile app named “MANI” (Mobile Aided Note Identifier) that would help visually impaired people to identify denomination of currency notes correctly. The currency notes will be scanned using a mobile phone’s camera. The most interesting feature of the app is that it can also be used offline after installation. The audio output is available in both Hindi and English languages.
- What is the interest rate of “Sukanya Samriddhi Account” for the fourth quarter of the financial year (FY) 2019-20 starting from January 1, 2020- March 31, 2020 ?
5) None of theseAnswer-2) 8.4%
The interest rate of Sukanya Samriddhi Account is 8.4%.
Small Savings Scheme Annual Interest Rate Public Provident Fund (PPF) 7.9% National Savings Certificate (NSC) 7.9% Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) 7.6% (113 months maturity) Sukanya Samriddhi Account 8.4% 5-year Senior Citizens Savings Scheme 8.6% Savings Deposit 4.0% Term Deposits (1-5 year maturity) 6.9 %-7.7 % 5-year Recurring Deposit 7.2%
- CAD was in news recently, what does ‘D’ stands for __________ ?
1) D- Deposit
2) D- Deflation
3) D- Deficit
4) D- Default
5) None of theseAnswer-3) D -Deficit
D stands for Deficit in CAD.The full form of CAD is Current Account Deficit (CAD).
- What is the Current Account Deficit (CAD) of India for July-September 2019 according to Reserve Bank of India (RBI)’s report “Developments in India’s Balance of Payments during the Second Quarter (July-September) of 2019-20” ?
1) 0.9 %
2) 1.9 %
3) 2.2 %
4) 2.5 %
5) None of theseAnswer-1) 0.9 %
On December 31, 2019, According to the report “Developments in India’s Balance of Payments during the Second Quarter (July-September) of 2019-20” released by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), India’s current account deficit (CAD) decreased to 0.9 % of gross domestic product (GDP) or $6.3 billion in July-September 2019 quarter due to the economic slowdown that helped the country improve its export and import balance sheet. It was 2.9 % of GDP or $19 billion in the corresponding quarter of 2018-19.
- Who was awarded with the Global Bihar Excellence Award 2019 & Global Peace Excellence Humanitarian Award 2019 ?
1) Nagnath Naikwadi
2) Veerendra Raj Mehta
3) Rajanikant Arole
4) Piyuus Jaiswal
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Piyuus Jaiswal
On December 31, 2019, Piyuus Jaiswal has been awarded the Global Bihar Excellence Award 2019 by Rajya Sabha MP (member of parliament) and Padma Shri Awardee Dr CP Thakur & Bihar Women Commission president Dilmani Devi in Patna, Bihar for his invaluable and outstanding contribution towards social welfare, women empowerment and introducing new talent in the field of arts and culture.Previously he was honoured with humanitarian award with the Global Peace Excellence Humanitarian Award 2019 &Page 3 Award in 2018.
- Name the first & youngest Indian tribal women in the World, who scaled six mountain peaks in six continents .
1) Santosh Yadav
2) Malavath Poorna
3) Bachendri Pal
4) Dicky Dolma
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Malavath Poorna
18-years-old Malavath Poorna from Telangana scaled Mt Vinson Massif, the highest mountain peak in Antarctica at 4,892 meters and becomes the first and youngest tribal women in the World to scale six mountain peaks in six continents.She is the daughter of agriculturist of Pakala tribal hamlet of Nizamabad district in Telangana.Sekhar Babu Bachinepally is her coach.’Poorna’,a biography of Poorna Malavath was written by Aparna Thota.
- Name the Chairman of the Railway Board, whose tenure was extended by one more year .
1) Rajesh Agrawal
2) Vishwesh Chaube
3) Vinod Kumar Yadav
4) Purnendu Sekhar Mishra
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Vinod Kumar Yadav
Vinod Kumar Yadav has been given one year extension as the Chairman of the Railway Board by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. Ashwani Lohani was the former chairman of the railway board (retired on December 2018) who held the post of the General Manager (GM) of South Central Railway (SCR).Yadav is an Electrical Engineer and belongs to the 1980 batch of the Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers.
- Who was reappointed as the Deputy Election Commissioner (DEC) of India after his tenure was extended by one more year till December 31, 2020 ?
1) Umesh Sinha
2) Ashok Lavasa
3) Sunil Arora
4) Sushil Chandra
5) None of theseAnswer-1) Umesh Sinha
Mr.Umesh Sinha has been re-employed as the Deputy Election Commissioner (DEC) after the approval by the Appointments Committe of the cabinet(ACC) headed by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on a contract basis for one year with effect from January 1, 2020 up to December 31, 2020. He is an IAS(Indian Administrative Officer) of Uttar Pradesh cadre. The order was issued by the Ministry of Personal, Public Grievances and Pensions. Mr.Sinha served as Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) and higher Education Secretary of Uttar Pradesh.
- Which bank has appointed, S Sundar as Interim Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) ?
1) Bank of Baroda (BoB)
2) Canara Bank
3) State Bank of India (SBI)
4) Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB)
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB)
S Sundar has appointed as interim Managing Director and CEO of Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) which is effective from January 1, 2020. The bank’s MD and CEO, Parthasarathi Mukherjee resigned his post on August, 2019 and the post was left vacant.According to the bank Sundar will be in charge until April 30, 2020 or until new MD assumes the charge.He was serving the bank as Chief Financial Officer from 27.04.2018 till 31.12.2019.He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce and is a Chartered Accountant and has an experience of 41 years.
- Name the firm, that received acquisition approval of 51.2% stake in Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company .
1) Sun Pharma
2) Housing Development Financial Corporation (HDFC)
3) Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
4) Reliance Industries Limited (RIL)
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Housing Development Financial Corporation (HDFC)
On January 1,2020 HDFC (Housing Development Financial Corporation) has received its requisite approvals from Competition Commission of India (CCI), Reserve Bank of India and Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) for it’s acquisition of 51.2% stake in Apollo Munich Health Insurance Company and for the merger of Apollo Munich with HDFC ERGO. The total value of the deal is Rs. 1,347 crore in which HDFC will acquire 50.8% from the Apollo Hospitals group for Rs 1,336 crore and remaining will be paid to the employees of Apollo group to purchase their stake of 0.4% in the company.
- Into which of the following Squadron, Indian Air Force has inducted light utility aircraft Dornier recently ?
1) No. 15 ‘Flying Lancers’ Squadron
2) No. 31 ‘Lions’ Squadron
3) No. 41 ‘Otters’ Squadron
4) No. 22 ‘Swifts’ Squadron
5) None of theseAnswer-3) No. 41 ‘Otters’ Squadron
On 31st December 2019, Indian Air Force Chief RKS Bhadauria formally inducted the light utility aircraft Dornier into the No. 41 ‘Otters’ Squadron at a ceremony at the Palam Air Force Station.A contract has been signed by Indian Air Force (IAF) for purchasing 14 Dornier aircraft in 2015, which are flight inspection system planes, for Rs 1,090 Crore from state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).The first aircraft was delivered in November 2019, whereas the second one is likely to be delivered in early 2020.
- Sunita Lakra of India announces her retirement recently, she belongs to which sport ?
5) None of theseAnswer-1) Hockey
Indian women’s hockey team defender Sunita Lakra, who was part of the 2018 Asian Games silver-winning side, announced her international retirement, citing a knee injury. However she will continue to represent in domestic hockey and play for NALCO (National Aluminium Company Limited), Odisha.Sunita has so far played 139 matches for India that also included the 2014 Asian Games bronze medal.
- Former Rajya Sabha member Alajangi Viswanath Swamy passed away recently, he belonged to which state ?
1) Uttar Pradesh
3) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Odisha
On December 31, 2019 Social activist and former Rajya Sabha member, Alajangi Viswanath Swamy popularly known as AV Swamy passed away in Nuapada district, Odisha.He was born on July 18, 1929 in Nawarangpur, Odisha and graduated in B.tech Chemical Engineering.On April 4, 2012 he was elected as the member of Rajya Sabha as an independent candidate and remained in office till April 3, 2018.He was a member of ‘Vanar Sena’ during India’s freedom struggle and a follower of Vinobe Bhave.He was also one of the most important social reformers of Odisha.
- Former MP of Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra, Devi Prasad Tripathi passed away recently. He belonged to which political party ?
1) National People’s Party (NPP)
2) Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)
3) Communist Party of India (CPI)
4) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)
On January 2, 2020 Senior Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader and former Mp Devi Prasad Tripathi passed away after battling with cancer. He was the former MP of Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra.He was born on November 29, 1952 in Sultanpur, Uttar Pradesh.He was educated in Allahabad University and also was the president of Jawaharlal Nehru University student union and started his political career in 1999.He was one of the founders of NCP along with Sharad Pawar and P.A. Sangma.He played an important role in the establishment of democracy in Nepal.
- Which state government’s Road Transport Corporation has launched the ‘Damini’ helpline service to ensure the safety of women passengers with the unique number “81142-77777” ?
3) Uttar Pradesh
4) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Uttar Pradesh
On December 31, 2019 UPSRTC (Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation) has launched ‘Damini’ helpline service considering the safety of the women passengers. As the extension of ‘Nirbhaya Yojana’ the unique number “81142-77777” has been subscribed for this helpline.Using these helpline women passengers can lodge their complaints by calling the helpline number and by using WhatsApp service.Women officers from UPSRTC will monitor this service from 9 a.m to 6 p.m everyday. After 6 p.m complaints can be lodged using general helpline number 1800-180-2877.
- Dramatist, writer, social activist & Natyasurya Awardee Ratna Ojha passed away recently, he belonged to which state ?
3) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Assam
On December 31, 2019 renowned Assamese dramatist, writer and social activist Ratna Ojha passed away in Guwahati, Assam. He was 88. He took part in ongoing protest against amended Citizenship Act.He was born on December 5, 1931 in Barpeta district of Assam.In 1971 he introduced street plays in Assam.He also introduced Cartoon Theater in Northeast and produced and directed the documentary film ‘Naam-ghar’.For his contribution in the field of theater, he received the prestigious Natyasurya Award in 2005.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the Chief General of Army ? Answer-Manoj Mukund Naravane.
- Darlipali Super Thermal Power Station is located in which state ? Answer-Odisha
Darlipali Super Thermal Power Station is located in Odisha.It was in news recently because the State-owned NTPC has launched the 800 mw unit of its Darlipali Super Thermal Power Project in Odisha.With this, the total installed capacity of NTPC and NTPC group has become 49,695 MW and 58,156 MW respectively.
- Who is the Chairperson of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) ? Answer-Subhash Chandra Khuntia
- Who is the Chief Election Commissioner of India ? Answer-Sunil Arora
- Where is the headquarter of Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) located ? Answer-Chennai, Tamil Nadu
[su_button url=”https://affairscloud.com/current-affairs/january-2020/” target=”self” style=”default” background=”#2D89EF” color=”#FFFFFF” size=”5″ wide=”no” center=”no” radius=”auto” icon=”” icon_color=”#FFFFFF” text_shadow=”none” desc=”” download=”” onclick=”” rel=”” title=”” id=”” class=””]Click Here to Try January Current Affairs 2020 Quiz[/su_button]