AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs February 17 Quiz 2018 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- How many more Ekalavya Model Residential School (EMRS) will be constructed by the government in tribal areas across India?
5. 624Answer – 2. 562
Tribal Affairs Minister Jual Oram stated that Central Government will set up 562 more Ekalavya Model Residential School (EMRS) in tribal areas across India. Setting up EMRSs is a part of Government’s commitment to provide best quality education to the tribal children in their own environment. EMRSs, to be set up by Central Government will be on par with the Navodaya Vidyalayas. Besides, these schools have special facilities for preserving local art and culture and also provide training in sports and skill development. Currently, 190 EMRSs are operational, where about 56000 tribal students have been enrolled at the rate of Rs 42000 per student per annum. During 2017-18, an amount of Rs 241.60 crore was provided for meeting recurring cost of these 190 functional EMRSs.
- National Conference under the title of “Agriculture 2022 – Doubling Farmers’ Income” will be organised by the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare in which Indian city?
4. New Delhi
5. DispurAnswer – 4. New Delhi
Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare is organizing a National Conference under the title of “Agriculture 2022 – Doubling Farmers’ Income” in New Delhi on 19th and 20th February, 2018. The main objective of this conference is to build a consensus and arrive at actionable points on measures to be taken for shaping and sharpening Central Government’s vision on Doubling Farmers’ Income by 2022. Seven broad themes have been identified for this conference. Some of these themes also have sub-themes. Discussions/deliberations on every theme will be held by a group of participants comprising farmers, farmers’ associations, economists, scientists, academics, professional associations, NGOs and policy makers.
- As per a report released by the NITI Aayog, sex ratio at birth (SRB) declined in _____ out of 21 large states of India?
5. 19Answer – 4. 17
As per a report released by the NITI Aayog, sex ratio at birth (SRB) declined in 17 out of 21 large states of India. In context of this news, number of female live births vis-a-vis number of male live births is referred to as Sex Ratio at Birth. Among 17 states where SRB has dropped; highest decline has been recorded from Gujarat. For the reference year, i.e. 2013-15, SRB in Gujarat fell to 854 females per 1000 males, marking a 53 points drop from 907 females per 1000 males in 2012-14 (base year). Gujarat is followed by Haryana (35 points drop) and Rajasthan (32 points drop). Large Indian states which have witnessed improvement in SRB are Punjab ( rise of 19 points) followed by Uttar Pradesh (rise of 10 points) and Bihar (rise of 9 points). NITI Aayog has recommended that states should effectively implement the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PCPNDT) Act, 1994 in order to check sex-selective abortion.
- Which Indian Organisation and Natural History Museum (NHM), United Kingdom (UK) signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation in the field of genetic/taxonomic studies, research and training, conservation in India, including species and habitat conservation assessments?
1. National Green Tribunal
2. Delhi Greens
3. Central Pollution Control Board
4. Botanical Survey of India
5. Environmentalist Foundation of IndiaAnswer – 4. Botanical Survey of India
Botanical Survey of India (BSI) and Natural History Museum (NHM), United Kingdom (UK) signed a Memorandum of Understanding for cooperation in the field of genetic/taxonomic studies, research and training, conservation in India, including species and habitat conservation assessments. The MoU was signed in New Delhi by Dr Paramjit Singh – Director of BSI and Dr Sandra Knapp – Head of the Algae, Fungi and Plants Division, NHM, in presence of Union Minister for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Dr Harsh Vardhan. As per the terms of this MoU, BSI staff will work in Natural History Museum, London and vice-versa. Staffs of both these entities will equitably share the benefits that may arise from the combined collection, joint study and conservation efforts. Besides, NHM will help BSI in capacity building in areas of systematic botany and long-term conservation of plant genetic resources in India.
- West Bengal State Government notified sale of West Bengal Stock (Securities) for an aggregate amount of Rs _______crore.
1. 1500 crore
2. 1750 crore
3. 2000 crore
4. 2500 crore
5. 3000 croreAnswer – 3. 2000 crore
West Bengal State Government notified sale of West Bengal Stock (Securities) for an aggregate amount of Rs 2000 crore. Sale proceeds would be utilised on developmental projects of West Bengal state government. West Bengal State Government has already got consent of the central government for floating this stock sale. As per Article 293 (3) of the Constitution of India, Central Government’s consent is required for this purpose. The sale will take place through an auction conducted by the Reserve Bank of India on February 20, 2018. Stocks sold will be of a 10-year tenure, commencing on February 21, 2018
- In terms of maternal mortality rate (MMR), which state is at the bottom of the list among all Indian States?
5. AssamAnswer – 5. Assam
In terms of maternal mortality rate (MMR), Assam is at the bottom of the list among all Indian States. Annual number of female deaths per 100000 live births from any cause related to pregnancy is referred to as Maternal Mortality Rate (MMR). MMR figure in Assam is 300 against the national average of 167. However, Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, Ashwini Kumar Choubey has stated that MMR in Assam has been declining. It was 383 fours ago and was 447 in 2002. In Assam, infant mortality rate (number of deaths per 1000 live births of children under one year of age) is also on higher side at 44 against the national figure of 37. In context of this news, it is important to note that fund spending under National Health Mission (NHM) in Assam is just 13.58 per cent for 2017-18.
- In which state, the Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan inaugurated the 6th Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) of India Region?
5. MaharashtraAnswer – 2. Bihar
Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan inaugurated the 6th Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) of India Region in Patna, Bihar. The conference of CPA of India Region is conducted for 2 days. Main subjects for discussion in the conference are ‘Parliament’s role in the development agenda’ and ‘Legislature and Judiciary’. Nearly 100 delegates from India and countries like Australia, Britain and Uganda are taking part in this conference. Also, Speakers of State Assemblies and Chairpersons of Legislative Councils are also participating. Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and former Union Minister Murli Manohar Joshi will present key note address. Emilia Lifaka, Chairperson of CPA Executive Committee, said that, we should work towards increasing women representatives in Parliament and Legislature.
- Name the tropical cyclone that devastated Tonga, a small South Pacific island country, with Category 4 intensity?
5. OckhiAnswer – 4. Gita
On 12th February 2018, tropical cyclone Gita devastated Tonga, a small South Pacific island country, with Category 4 intensity. Cyclone Gita hit the Tongatapu group of islands in southern Tonga. The speed of sustained winds was 145 mph. A state of emergency was declared in Tonga due to cyclone Gita. Authorities of Tonga had insisted every family to have an emergency kit and to stay indoors. They had urged people living in flood-prone areas to take shelter in evacuation centers. People had nailed wood over the windows, and had fitted iron roofing to their homes in an effort to minimize the damage that was anticipated to be caused by Cyclone Gita. As on 13th February 2018, three major injuries and 30 minor injuries were reported in Tongatapu.
- The 54th edition of the Munich Security Conference started off in Munich, Germany. What are the important topics discussed in this session?
1. North Korea’s nuclear and missile programs
2. The North Korean nuclear weapons development program issue
3. The Syrian civil war
4. All the above
5. 1 & 3 onlyAnswer – 4. All the above
On 16th February 2018, the annual Munich Security Conference started off in Munich, Germany. This is the 54th edition of the Munich Security Conference. It will be conducted till 18th February 2018. Nearly 30 heads of state and government and more than 100 cabinet ministers from all over the world are participating in this conference. Discussions are held on important international security issues like North Korea’s nuclear and missile programs and the Syrian civil war. The North Korean nuclear weapons development program issue is the most important topic to be discussed. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim Al-Thani, German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen and French Defence Minister Florence Parly presented their statements on the first day of the conference.
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella organisation for all retail payments in India has given its consent to ___________ launch with limited user base of 1 million and low per transaction limit?
1. Facebook’s payment service
2. Twitter’s payment service
3. WhatsApp’s payment service
4. Hike’s payment service
5. Line’s payment serviceAnswer – 3. WhatsApp’s payment service
National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella organisation for all retail payments in India has given its consent to WhatsApp BHIM UPI beta launch with limited user base of 1 million and low per transaction limit. WhatsApp’s payment service with full-fledged features will be launched in India after the beta test of the service is successful. Whatsapp had received approval to use Unified Payments Interface (UPI), after a meeting between WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton and Union Minister of Electronics and Information Technology Ravi Shankar Prasad in February 2017. UPI (launched by Indian Government) is a single-window mobile payment system that powers multiple bank accounts into a single mobile application. Whatsapp has been working with top Indian Banks such as State Bank of India, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and Axis Bank to integrate UPI into its payments solution.
- Name the technology, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) is planning to introduce in its Gandhar field to recover an extra 20 million barrels of crude oil?
1. Gas flow rate
2. Flame temperature
3. Cloud diffusion
4. Carbon dioxide injection
5. Methane injectionAnswer – 4. Carbon dioxide injection
Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) is planning to introduce carbon dioxide injection in its Gandhar field to recover an extra 20 million barrels of crude oil. Injected gas reduces viscosity of residual oil, making it easier to displace the oil from the rock pores. Besides, injecting CO2 swells oil, thereby pushing it towards the producing well for extraction. ONGC will be using this technology to recover an extra 15 per cent of residual oil currently valued at $1.36 billion. This technology has been successfully deployed in US and Canada. ONGC’s CO2 injection project would be first such large scale project in Asia. This project would be executed under enhanced oil recovery (EOR) programme, which is aimed at recovering up to 20 percent of residual oil from such ageing fields. Depending on the results from Gandhar field, it would be replicated at other mature fields.
- Who was made the brand ambassador of the upcoming T20 Mumbai League?
1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Rohit Sharma
3. Hardik Pandya
4. Kieron Pollard
5. Jasprit BumrahAnswer – 1. Sachin Tendulkar
Sachin Tendulkar was named the brand ambassador of the upcoming T20 Mumbai League. The T20 Mumbai League will start on 11th March 2018. It is organised by Probability Sports India Private Limited as Lead Member and Wizcraft. It has been approved and sanctioned by the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA). Teams have been invited to participate in the league. Six teams would participate in the league. The teams would be from Mumbai North, Mumbai North-West, Mumbai North-East, Mumbai North- Central, Mumbai South-Central and Mumbai South.
- While investigating thousands of soil samples, a team of Scientists from which country have discovered ‘malacidin’, a new class of antibiotics capable of killing drug-resistant bacteria?
5. GermanyAnswer – 2. USA
While investigating thousands of soil samples, a team of US Scientists have discovered ‘malacidin’, a new class of antibiotics capable of killing drug-resistant bacteria. The ability of diseases to evolve and become immune to known treatments is referred to as antimicrobial resistance, which is one of the greatest threats to humanity. The newly discovered malacidin works by interfering with a major building block that the bacteria use to build and repair their outer membrane, and thereby restricts its growth. However, malacidin has been found to be effective only against Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a bacterium that causes infections in different parts of the body.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has planned to launch Chandrayan-2 Mission around April 2018. This is India’s ______ mission to the moon.
5. FifthAnswer – 2. Second
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has planned to launch Chandrayan-2 Mission around April 2018. Chandrayaan-2 is India’s second mission to the moon. Chandrayaan-2’s payloads will be 6 on Orbiter; 3 on Lander and 2 on Rover. ISRO Chairman K Sivan said that the total cost of Chandrayaan-2 mission will be nearly Rs 8 billion. He said that, if Chandrayaan-2’s launch gets cancelled in April 2018 due to unsuitable weather, it will be rescheduled for launch in October 2018. He said that, Chandrayaan-2 Mission consists of:
• Orbiter – orbit the Moon from 100 km lunar polar orbit
• Lander – soft lands on a pre-determined site on lunar surface
• Rover – rolls out of the land after landing
- How many newly discovered exoplanets were confirmed based on data from the second mission of NASA’s (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) Kepler Space Telescope or K2 released in 2014?
1. Nearly 50
2. Nearly 75
3. Nearly 100
4. Nearly 125
5. Nearly 150Answer – 3. Nearly 100
The discovery of nearly 100 new exoplanets (planets outside solar system) has been confirmed based on data from the second mission of NASA’s (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) Kepler Space Telescope or K2 released in 2014. The discovery of nearly 100 new exoplanets has been confirmed by an international team of scientists. K2 finds exoplanets by studying reduction in light due to shadow of an exoplanet when it crosses its host star. The team of scientists have analysed 275 entities. Out of this 149 were confirmed as real exoplanets. 95 of these planets are new discoveries. This study has been published in the Astronomical Journal. Now, the total number of exoplanets discovered by K2 mission has increased to almost 300.
- Name the cricketer who has created a world record by becoming the first batsman ever to score 500 runs in a bilateral ODI series.
1. M S Dhoni
2. Hardik Pandya
3. David Warner
4. Joe Root
5. Virat KohliAnswer – 5. Virat Kohli
Virat Kohli has created a world record by becoming the first batsman ever to score 500 runs in a bilateral ODI series. Virat Kohli made this achievement at the sixth and final ODI of the series against South Africa at Centurion on 16th February 2018. He has scored 558 runs in total in this series. He has beat Rohit Sharma’s record of 491 runs against Australia in 2013-14 in bilateral ODI series. He scored 129 runs in the sixth ODI of the series and India won the series 5-1. He has also become the fastest batsman to score 17000 international runs.
- Who has become the oldest Tennis player in the world to hold number 1 rank in the ATP world rankings?
1. Simona Halep
2. Caroline Wozniacki
3. Roger Federer
4. Andre Agassi
5. John McEnroeAnswer – 3. Roger Federer
Roger Federer has become the oldest player in the world to hold number 1 rank in the ATP world rankings. Roger Federer achieved this feat by defeating Robin Haase 4-6 6-1 6-1 to reach semi-finals of the ABN AMRO tournament in Rotterdam on 16th February 2018. Roger Federer is 36 years old. He has returned to number 1 position in the world rankings for the first time since 2012. He reached number one position for the first time in 2004. He has surpassed America’s Andre Agassi, who was the previous oldest player to be world number one at 33 years in 2003.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) was formed in the year?1969
- Where is the headquarters of ONGC located?Dehradun, Uttarakhand
- Who is the Current MD & CEO of City Union Bank?Dr. N. Kamakodi
- How many island are in Tongo?169 islands. 36 inhabited.
- Kaziranga National Park is in which state?Assam