AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs December 28 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs December 2018
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where is the 12th Annual Indian Subcontinent Decision Sciences Institute (ISDSI) conference held from 27th to 30th December 2018?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mumbai
On December 27, 2018, the four day long 12th Annual Indian Subcontinent Decision Sciences Institute (ISDSI) conference commenced in SPJIMR, Mumbai. The conference will continue till December 30, 2018. The theme of this international conference is “Data Driven Decision Making in the Digital Age”. The main objective of this conference is to provide a platform for academicians, researchers and practitioners to:
1.Disseminate research, providing insights into the challenges, opportunities, emerging strategies and analytical tools in the domain of decision making;
2.Present case studies on application of tools and techniques;
3.Explore cutting- edge ideas, results and share experiences.
- Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) proposed to establish a governing council to ensure efficient delivery of export-related interventions on 25th December 2018. Who will be the Chairperson of the council?
1) Ram Mohan Mishra
2) Dr. Arun Kumar Panda
3) Dr. Athish Gupta
4) Rafeek Hussain
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dr. Arun Kumar Panda
On December 25, 2018, the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) has proposed to establish a governing council under the chairmanship of Secretary, MSME, Dr. Arun Kumar Panda. It will be co-chaired by Development Commissioner in MSME Ministry, Shri. Ram Mohan Mishra. Its objective is to ensure efficient delivery of all export-related interventions. This council will be a part of the ministry’s action plan to boost shipments from micro, small and medium enterprises. According to the recommendations of the ministry,
♦ A strategic action plan titled ‘Unlocking the Potential of MSME Exports’will be prepared.
♦ This will have a detailed analysis of various trade agreements, including FTAs to identify areas of concern for MSMEs.
♦ A study will be conducted of special economic zones and export promotion zones to reassess their role and objectives.
♦ A tech-enabled online portal shall be developed featuring country-wise list of global products and services in demand.
♦ A formal platform may also be created by the ministry to engage in all bilateral and multilateral trade negotiations it makes which will have an impact on the enterprises.
- The 3rd ‘Dwijing Festival’ celebrations is held from 27th December 2018 to 7th January 2019, on the banks of which river in Chirang district of Assam?
1) Aie River
2) Manas River
3) Kopili River
4) Barak River
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Aie River
On December 27, 2018, the 12-day 3rd ‘Dwijing Festival’ celebrations commenced in the on the banks of the Aie river in Chirang district of Assam. It will continue till January 7, 2019.It will be organised by Assam Tourism and Bodoland Tourism. The festival started as Aie River Festival in 2016-17 to promote river tourism in the rural areas under the Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC). It started under the name of ‘AIE RIVER WINTER FESTIVAL’. The name was officially changed to “Dwijing (river bank in Bodo language)” in 2017. The association of the Hagrama Bridge, the longest rural river bridge of the state, with the festival increased its popularity.
- Name the district that has topped the Second Delta Ranking of the Aspirational Districts Programme, released by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant, on 26th December 2018?
1) Virudhunagar, Tamil Nadu
2) Nuapada, Odisha
3) Siddharthnagar, Uttar Pradesh
4) Aurangabad, Bihar
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Virudhunagar, Tamil Nadu
On December 26, 2018, Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant released the Second Delta Ranking of the Aspirational Districts Programme. The ranking shows the incremental progress achieved by 111 aspirational districts (out of 115) during June 1, 2018 to October 31, 2018, across six key development sectors. Three aspirational districts from West Bengal did not participate, while one district of Kerala could not take part because of floods. The 6 developmental sectors are: Health and Nutrition, Education, Agriculture and Water Resources, Financial Inclusion, Skill Development, and Basic Infrastructure. The data has been received from household surveys conducted by NITI Aayog’s knowledge partners, namely, TATA Trusts and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (IDInsight).
The Most Improved Districts:
Rank District State 1 Virudhunagar Tamil Nadu 2 Nuapada Odisha 3 Siddharthnagar Uttar Pradesh 4 Aurangabad Bihar 5 Koraput Odisha
- Which is the least improved district in the Second Delta Ranking of the Aspirational Districts Programme, released by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant, on 26th December 2018?
1) Hailakandi, Assam
2) Pakur, Jharkhand
3) Kiphire, Nagaland
4) Koraput, Odisha
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Pakur, Jharkhand
On December 26, 2018, Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant released the Second Delta Ranking of the Aspirational Districts Programme. The ranking shows the incremental progress achieved by 111 aspirational districts (out of 115) during June 1, 2018 to October 31, 2018, across six key development sectors. Three aspirational districts from West Bengal did not participate, while one district of Kerala could not take part because of floods. The 6 developmental sectors are: Health and Nutrition, Education, Agriculture and Water Resources, Financial Inclusion, Skill Development, and Basic Infrastructure.
The Least Improved Districts:
Rank District State 107 Kiphire Nagaland 108 Giridih Jharkhand 109 Chatra Jharkhand 110 Hailakandi Assam 111 Pakur Jharkhand
- The 26th National Children’s Science Congress (NCSC) themed “Science, Technology and Innovations for a clean, Green and Healthy Nation” is held from 27th to 31st December 2018, in _____?
1) Mumbai, Maharashtra
2) Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
3) Panaji, Goa
4) Bhubaneswar, Odisha
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Bhubaneswar, Odisha
On 27th December 2018, the 26th National Children’s Science Congress (NCSC) was inaugurated by the Chief Minister of Odisha, Shri Naveen Patnaik at Sikhya O Anusandhan (SOA) University in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. The theme for this year NCSC is “Science, Technology and Innovations for a clean, Green and Healthy Nation.” The event will conclude on 31st December 2018. In 2017, NCSC was held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat from 27th December to 31st December. National Children’s science Congress (NCSC) provides a platform to the children to showcase their creativity and ability to innovate. The National Council for Science and Technology Communication (NCSTC), Government of India supported the NCSC 2018 in which Children in the age group of 10-17 years including school students including differently abled children will participate. Children from 10 member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and five Gulf countries will also participate in the event.
- K J Alphons, Minister of State (I/C) for Tourism, handed over a MoU under the ‘Adopt a Heritage’ project to which company for development of a mobile Audio Guide App for five iconic sites, on 27th December 2018?
1) M/s Resbird Technologies
2) Can Do Automation Pvt. Ltd.
3) M/s Bluechip Technologies
4) Rexxit Electronics Pvt. Ltd.
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) M/s Resbird Technologies
On 27th December 2018, Shri. K J Alphons, Minister of State (I/C) for Tourism, handed over a Memorandum of Understanding under the ‘Adopt a Heritage’ project to M/s Resbird Technologies for development of a mobile Audio Guide App for five iconic sites. Amer Fort (Rajasthan), Kaziranga (Assam), Colva Beach (Goa), Kumarakom (Kerala) and Mahabodhi Temple (Bihar) are the five iconic sites for which the mobile Audio Guide App is to be developed. Besides this, seven shortlisted agencies under ‘Monument Mitras’ project were handed over the Letters of Intent, which will give them the opportunity to associate their CSR activities with a heritage site if their Vision Bid is selected. Till now, ten Memoranda of Understanding have been executed with various Monument Mitras for development, operation and maintenance of tourist amenities at heritage and tourist sites across India.
- A total of 864 projects at a cost of _____ rupees was approved under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban), at the 41st meeting of the Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee, in New Delhi on 27th December 2018?
1) Rs 14,662 crore
2) Rs 11,567 crore
3) Rs 15,899 crore
4) Rs 10,789 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 14,662 crore
On 27th December 2018, the 41st meeting of the Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee under the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs to sanction more affordable houses for the benefit of urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) was held at New Delhi. A total of 3,10,597 more affordable houses for the benefit of urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) has been approved by the Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs. The approval consists of:
1.Beneficiary Led Construction (BLC) vertical- 1,91,556
2.Affordable Housing in Partnership (AHP)vertical- 1,18,941
The meeting was held under the Chairmanship of Shri Durga Shankar Mishra, Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. A total of 864 projects with a project cost of Rs 14,662 crore with central assistance of Rs 4,658 crore have been approved in the meeting. With this new approval the cumulative number of houses sanctioned under PMAY (U) now is 68,54,126.
- The mechanical branch of which Central Railways division has introduced a new advanced technology called Automated Train Examination System (ATES) for the enhancement of train safety?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Nagpur
The mechanical branch of Central Railways’ Nagpur division has introduced a new state-of-the-art technology called Automated Train Examination System (ATES) for the enhancement of train safety. The system, developed by Konkan Railway Corporation Limited, eliminates manual examination of trains and measures axle box temperature, wheel disc temperature and records the under-gear of rolling stock of running trains through infrared and other cameras. ATES also checks every train passing through the track on which it is installed and immediately warns about hot axle and brake binding cases. In the first phase, this system has been installed in Ajni where total two units have been installed one covering all down direction trains coming from Chennai and Mumbai to Nagpur and the other covering up direction freight trains. The ATES was inaugurated by General Manager Central Railways, Devendra Kumar Sharma at Betul station on December 18.
- Name the country whose parliament called the Knesset, approved of a law to permit exports of medical marijuana, on 26th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Israel
On December 26, 2018, Israel’s parliament, the Knesset, approved of a law to permit exports of medical marijuana. This made Israel the 3rd country after the Netherlands and Canada, to take its medical cannabis global.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in consultation with the government has set up a 6-member committee to review the economic capital framework of the central bank. Who is the head of the committee?
1) Bimal Jalan
2) Sanjay Gupta
3) Rana Singh
4) Manas Karath
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bimal Jalan
On 26th December 2018, The Reserve Bank of India, in consultation with the government of India has set up a 6-member committee headed by Former RBI Chief Bimal Jalan to review the economic capital framework of the central bank. The committee will suggest how the central bank should handle its reserves and whether it can transfer its surplus to the government. The six-member panel has former deputy RBI governor Rakesh Mohan as its vice chairman and comprises economic affairs secretary Subhash Chandra Garg, RBI central board members Bharat Doshi and Sudhir Mankad and deputy governor NS Viswanathan. The panel will decide whether RBI is holding provisions, reserves and buffers in surplus of the required levels. It would also propose a suitable profits distribution policy taking into account all the likely situations of the RBI. The committee will also suggest an adequate level of risk provisioning that the RBI needs to maintain. Surplus reserves that are created out of realized gains will also come under the jurisdiction of this committee. The panel will submit its report within a period of 90 days from the date of its first meeting.
- Which entity has launched a ‘Survey on Retail Payment Habits of Individuals (SRPHi)’ in 6 cities, for which fieldwork was carried out by Sigma Research & Consulting Pvt Ltd?
1) Finance Ministry
2) NITI Aayog
3) Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
4) National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
On December 26, 2018, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) launched a ‘Survey on Retail Payment Habits of Individuals (SRPHi)’ in 6 cities including four metropolitan cities. The survey will cover a sample of 6,000 individuals from various socio-economic backgrounds across six cities of: Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru and Guwahati. The fieldwork for the survey was carried out by Sigma Research & Consulting Pvt Ltd. The survey would capture payment habits of individuals and this will provide some idea about awareness and usage habits of digital payment products.
- The Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of security-service SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises) would be at 18-____% over the next 2 financial years, as per a research by CRISIL?
1) 26 %
2) 20 %
3) 30 %
4) 35 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 20 %
On December 27, 2018, according to a research from CRISIL, the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of security-service SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises) would be at 18-20% over the next 2 financial years. Security-service SMEs consist of 60-65 per cent of market share and have shown the similar growth rate of 18-20% for the past 3 financial years. The growth would be determined by the following factors:
3.The growing incidence of crime and terrorism, and
4.The low police to population ratio.
In terms of infrastructure development, the CAGR is at 5% for the past 3 years (calendar years 2015 to 2018) and would be the same for the next 3 years.
- Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) has reviewed guidelines for Foreign Direct Investment in E- commerce companies to protect the interests of domestic players which will be effective from _____?
1) 1 February 2019
2) 1 April 2019
3) 1 August 2019
4) 1 July 2019
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 1 February 2019
On 26th December 2018, the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP), under Ministry of Commerce & Industry had reviewed guidelines for Foreign Direct Investment in E- commerce companies to protect the interests of domestic players. It will be effective from 01 February, 2019. The government has barred e-commerce companies from selling products of the companies in which they have stake and it has also imposed a limit on how much one vendor can sell on a particular portal. The policy also prohibits ecommerce platforms from giving any preferential treatment to any supplier and prohibited e-commerce companies from entering into an agreement for exclusive sale of products. Besides, the cash back provided to buyers by group companies of marketplace entity shall be fair and non-discriminatory. Also the E-commerce entities providing marketplace will not directly or indirectly influence the sale price of goods or services and shall maintain level playing field. The e-commerce marketplace entity will be required to furnish a certificate along with a report of statutory auditor to Reserve Bank of India, confirming compliance of above guidelines, by 30th of September of every year for the preceding financial year. The decision came in the backdrop of several complaints being flagged by domestic traders on heavy discounts being given by e-commerce players to consumers.
- Who was crowned with the Mrs. India 2018 title at the Mrs. India My Identity Beauty Pageant 2018 finale held in New Delhi, on 26th December 2018?
1) Divya Patidar Joshi
2) Shefali Nadu
3) Charulatha Jain
4) Nirupama Sen
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Divya Patidar Joshi
On December 26, 2018, Divya Patidar Joshi from Madhya Pradesh was crowned with the Mrs. India 2018 title at the Mrs. India My Identity Beauty Pageant 2018 finale held in New Delhi. She defeated 24 promising contestants and won all the rounds of Beauty with Brain contest along with Best Cat Walk title. With this win, in the year 2019, she would be representing India for Mrs. Universe title.
- Which state was chosen for its all-round development in all its ‘aspirational’ districts, and its Chief minister was conferred the ‘Champions of Change’ award by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu in Delhi, on 26th December 2018?
1) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Manipur
On December 26, 2018, Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh was conferred the ‘Champions of Change’ award by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu in Delhi.He was recognised for his leadership role in transforming the governance in the north-eastern state. At a programme to identify the progress made in 115 ‘aspirational’ districts, Manipur was chosen for its all-round development on various parameters in all its ‘aspirational’ districts. In the event, the Vice President gave away 47 such awards. Other such awardees are:
1.Union Minister of State for Food Processing Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti,
2.Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Sudarshan and
3.Member of Parliament Nishikant Dubey.
The award selection jury was led by former Chief Justice of India K G Balakrishna and former Supreme Court judge Sudha Mishra.’
- Who was appointed as the Deputy Chief of Integrated Defense Staff (Operations), on 26th December 2018?
1) Air Marshal Rajeev Sachdeva
2) Air Marshal Virendra Singh
3) Air Marshal Anshul Agarwal
4) Air Marshal Murali Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Air Marshal Rajeev Sachdeva
On 26th December 2018, the Defense Ministry appointed Air Marshal Rajeev Sachdeva who had served in three out of four wings of Integrated Defense Staff (IDS) headquarters as the Deputy Chief of Integrated Defense Staff (Operations). Air Marshal Sachdeva was commissioned as an Indian Air Force pilot in December 1981 and has logged over 7200 hours of transport and instructional flying experience. Apart from being a Category ‘A’ flying instructor, he has also held some of the prestigious appointments in Air Force, Joint Services and National Technical Research Organization (NTRO). He has also been an Air Force examiner and has also commanded a frontline transport squadron, a transport base and the college of Defense Management. He was the Senior Air Staff Officer at Southern Air Command headquarters in Thiruvananthapuram prior to his present appointment.
- Name the person who was appointed as India’s chief boxing coach at the ongoing national camp, on 10thDecember 2018?
1) SR Singh
2) C A Kuttappa
3) Rakesh Bhattacharya
4) Nilkanth Das
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) C A Kuttappa
On December 10, 2018, 39-year-old Dronacharya awardee C A Kuttappa has been appointed as India’s chief boxing coach at the ongoing national camp. He replaced veteran coach SR Singh. Kuttappa is just one of the two coaches from the reigning national champions, the Services Sports Control Board (SSCB), in the camp. As the head coach of the Indian Boxing team, Kuttappa’s first major assignment would be the second edition of India Open, which is scheduled to be held in January 2019 in Guwahati, Assam and the Strandja Memorial in Bulgaria.
- The mechanical branch of Central Railway‘s Nagpur division has developed a new AI-powered robot named USTAAD to examine parts of the coach in real time. What does “U” represent in USTAAD?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Undergear
USTAAD – Undergear Surveillance through Artificial Intelligence Assisted Droid
The mechanical branch of Central Railway‘s Nagpur division has developed a new AI-powered robot named USTAAD (Undergear Surveillance through Artificial Intelligence Assisted Droid) which examines parts of the coach in real time with a HD camera and transmits them over WiFi. The new Artificial Intelligence (AI) powered robot will click photos and record videos of the train, under the gears and then transmits them over WiFi to engineers for maintenance and repair. Since USTAAD can watch and examine areas which cannot be seen and approached by humans usually, due to the narrow spaces between under-gear parts, it will reduce chances of human error while examining undergear equipment on Indian Railways trains. The special features of the robot include HD (high-definition) camera that can be rotated in any direction as per commands given by the engineer and can capture video as well as still photographs with zoom in or out facility.
- Scientists from which Indian university have developed the world’s Thinnest Material by making use of Magnesium Diboride?
1) Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
2) College of Engineering, Guindy
3) Manipal University
4) National Institute of Technology, Raipur
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
The Year 2018 has been a great year for Indian scientists and technologists. Indian scientists have brought laurels for the country in a wide range of fields ranging from nanotechnology to weather which are not in limelight apart from space and defence. A protective gel named as Poly-oxime Gel was developed by scientists from Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Bengaluru which will be very useful for the agriculture sector. Scientists from Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar have developed world’s Thinnest Material by making usage of Magnesium Diboride. It has its utility in next-generation materials and UV absorbing films. Space weather warning model was framed by scientists of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Kolkata and it helped in making predictions regarding sunspot cycle activities. The state of Sikkim was able to achieve a real-time landslide warning system with help of the scientists from Amrita University and Sikkim State Disaster Management Authority.
- Odisha is starting a new Olive Ridley mass nesting site at ____ River mouth in Odisha’s Ganjam district to lure Olive Ridley turtles to come over for mass nesting in 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bahuda
The Forest Department of Odisha is all set to start a new Olive Ridley mass nesting site at Bahuda River mouth in Ganjam district of Odisha to lure Olive Ridley turtles to come over for mass nesting in 2019. A few hundred of endangered Olive Ridley turtles had nested at Bahuda River mouth coast in 2018. The new nesting point which is located around 20 km to south of Rushikulya rookery coast, stretches for around 3 km from Sunapur to Anantpur beach area. Gahirmatha marine sanctuary and Rushikulva rookery coast in Ganjam district of Odisha are main Olive Ridley Nesting site in Odisha. Odisha is home to about 50% of the world’s total population of Olive Ridley turtles (Lepidochelys olivacea) which are included in vulnerable category by the IUCN Red list and are protected under Schedule I of Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 in India. Trading of the products manufactured from these turtles are also banned under Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
- Which cricketer became South Africa’s leading Test wicket-taker by taking his 422nd wicket, on the first day of the test series against Pakistan, held in South Africa on 26th December 2018?
1) Dale Steyn
2) AB de Villiers
3) Faf du Plessis
4) Hashim Amla
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Dale Steyn
On 26th December 2018, Dale Steyn become South Africa’s leading Test wicket-taker by dismissing Pakistan’s Fakhar Zaman in the first Test against Pakistan at SuperSport Park, Centurion, in South Africa. Fakhar edged to Dean Elgar at second slip to give Steyn his 422nd wicket and take him past Shaun Pollock, whose record had stood since he quit in 2008. Steyn’s haul has come in 89 matches, at an average of 22.60, while Pollock averaged 23.11 across 108 matches.
- Hamidi Kashmiri passed away at his residence in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir on 26th December 2018. He was a writer, educationalist, poet and _____?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Professor
On 26th December 2018, Former Kashmir University (KU) Vice Chancellor (VC) and Padma Shri awardee Professor Hamidi Kashmiri passed away at his residence in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir at the age of 86. He was the reciepient of Ghalib Award, Sahitya Akademi in 2005 and Padma Shri in 2010. He was a writer, educationalist and poet who had written 50 books.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is Bhitarkanika National Park located?Answer – Odisha
- Chief Minister of Assam is ____?Answer – Sarbananda Sonowal
- Where is the headquarters of International Boxing Association (AIBA)?Answer – Lausanne, Switzerland
- Who is the Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI)?Answer – Shaktikanta Das
- Name the Chairman of NITI Aayog?Answer – Narendra Modi