AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs December 27 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs December 2018
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- The Baduga tribal community of which state celebrated their annual Heddaiyamman festival, on 26th December 2018?
2) Himachal Pradesh
4) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Tamil Nadu
On December 26, 2018, the tribal Baduga community in the Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu celebrated their annual Heddaiyamman festival. In connection to this festival, People will observe 48 days fast and walks in religious processions and holding up a holy shaft which symbolizes the miracle of the traditional Badaga goddess. Week long celebrations will continue in different villages including Petthala, Beragani, and Ketti.
- ____ in Madhya Pradesh, was notified as ‘national park’, on 24th December 2018, enabling translocation of lions from Gir in Gujarat?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kuno
On December 24, 2018, Kuno, in Madhya Pradesh, was announced to be notified as ‘national park’. This move was made after the compliance with the last condition imposed by a Supreme Court was met. This would enable translocation of lions from Gir in Gujarat to Kuno.
- Which state cabinet announced the approval of an online system for mutation of property, on 24th December 2018?
3) Madhya Pradesh
4) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) West Bengal
On December 24, 2018, the West Bengal cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced approval of an online system for mutation of property. Its objective is to ease the process of property mutation and check illegal practices.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat launched the ‘Atal Ayushman Uttarakhand Yojana’ on 25thDecember 2018, under which, each household in the state can avail medical treatment of up to _____ rupees annually?
1) Rs 5 lakh
2) Rs 2 lakh
3) Rs 3 lakh
4) Rs 4 lakh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 5 lakh
On December 25, 2018, Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, Trivendra Singh Rawat launched the ‘Atal Ayushman Uttarakhand Yojana’ in Dehradun. Under the scheme, each household in the state will be able to avail medical treatment of up to 5 lakh rupees annually. A total of 99 government and 66 private hospitals have been selected under the scheme. Under this, the CM also signed MOUs with private hospitals and also announced availability of free of cost OPD facilities for children and elderly people in the state. It will benefit 23 lakh households and cover 1,350 critical diseases. He also distributed scheme-related golden cards to beneficiaries. He also launched the mobile application and website for ‘Atal Ayushman Uttarakhand Yojana’. Additionally, the chief minister also announced that the state’s dedicated air ambulance service will be operational from 26 January, 2019.
- Name the state cabinet that has approved Flipkart’s proposal to set up a logistic hub at Haringhata, in Nadia district, at an estimated investment of Rs 991 crore?
1) Tamil Nadu
4) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) West Bengal
On 24th December 2018, West Bengal cabinet approved a proposal by Flipkart to set up a logistic hub at Haringhata, in the Nadia district, at an estimated investment of Rs 991 crore. The cabinet has also given its nod for regularizing land ownership in Midnapore’s Khas Mahal, which is a government land that was leased out to individuals for residential purposes for a fixed period of time.
- Which state is the first to have launched 4,000 Atal Seva Kendras in rural areas, 22 at district headquarters, 51 at sub-divisional level and 20 Antyodya Saral Kendras at Tehsil level, simultaneously?
1) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Haryana
On December 25, 2018, on the eve of former late PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s 94th birth anniversary dubbed as ‘Good Governance Day’, Chief Minister of Haryana, Manohar Lal Khattar launched 485 schemes of 37 departments under ‘Digital Haryana’ initiative. Among the schemes thus launched on the occasion, the following states a few:
• the chief minister inaugurated 22 ‘Antyodya Saral Kendras’for all district headquarters from Karnal,
• This made Haryana the first state to have a launch of 4,000 Atal Seva Kendras in rural areas, 22 at district headquarters, 51 at sub-divisional level and 20 Antyodya Saral Kendras at Tehsil level, simultaneously
• A toll free Antyodaya Helpline number was inaugurated
• A SARAL App would be launched so that people could get all information about schemes on their smart phones at home.
- Union Ministry for Electronics and Information Technology has announced draft rules of _____ to end the complete encryption system to trace ‘unlawful’ activities for better national security?
1) Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines) Rules 2018
2) Information Security (Amendment) Rules 2018
3) Cyber Encryption (Updating) Rules 2018
4) Software Encryption (Restriction) Rules 2018
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines) Rules 2018
On December 24, 2018, the Union Ministry for Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) announced draft rules of the Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines) Rules 2018. Its objective is to end the complete encryption system to trace ‘unlawful’ activities for better national security. These would amend and replace the Information Technology Act, 2000 and would include the inter-ministerial consultations, followed by discussions with major social media platforms like Facebook, Google, Twitter, Yahoo and WhatsApp, and associations representing intermediaries. According to the amended rules under Section 79 of the IT Act, It will be mandatory for online platforms to deploy technology to enable access to content seen as “unlawful”. Information about “unlawful acts” can be sought from the intermediaries by “court order”. The parameter to judge unlawful acts would be Article 19(2) of the Constitution, which places restriction on freedom of speech and expression. The measures proposed include breaking end-to-end encryption so that the origin of messages can be traced. Online platforms will keep a record of “unlawful activity” for a period of “180 days”, double the 90 days in the older version. When required by lawful order, the intermediary shall, within 72 hoursof communication, provide such information or assistance as asked for by any government agency. The intermediary should publish on its website the name of the Grievance Officer and his contact details.
- Which state renamed all the childcare institutes currently run in the state as ‘Jagannath Ashram’, on 25thDecember 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Haryana
On 25th December 2018, Chief Minister of Haryana, Manohar Lal Khattar renamed all the childcare institutes currently run in the state as ‘Jagannath Ashram’, clubbing them because of their common goal of all-round development of the children.
- Power Ministry has mandated the use of smart prepaid electricity meters in the India from which month?
1) April 2019
2) March 2019
3) June 2019
4) August 2019
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) April 2019
On December 24, 2018, the Power Ministry mandated the use of smart prepaid electricity meters in the country beginning April 2019. The transition is expected to be completed by next 3 years. This would help in:
• reduction in AT&C losses,
• better health of DISCOMs,
• incentivising energy conservation,
• ease of bill payments and
• doing away with the paper bills.
- Which country became the first country in Southeast Asia to approve the licensed use of marijuana and kratom for medical use and research, on 25th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Thailand
On December 25, 2018, Thailand approved the licensed use of marijuana and kratom for medical use and research. It became the first country in Southeast Asia to take such action.
- Name the country that withdrew from International Whaling Commission (IWC), in order to pursue commercial whaling in its adjacent waters, including its Exclusive Economic Zone, from July 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Japan
On 24th December 2018, The Japanese government officially announced to withdraw from the International Whaling Commission (IWC), enabling Japan to pursue commercial whaling in its adjacent waters, including its Exclusive Economic Zone. Japan will resume commercial whaling in July 2019 and the whaling area will not include the Antarctic Ocean or the Southern Hemisphere. The move came more than three months after the global body for the conservation of whales rejected a Tokyo-led proposal to lift a 32-year ban on the commercial hunting of the ocean mammals. Japan could no longer take advantage of the IWC exemption for scientific whaling because the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Seas requires its signatories to work through “the appropriate international organizations” for marine mammal conservation. The country consumes between 3,000 tons to 5,000 tons of whale meat in a year according to the government of Japan.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon introduce a new currency note of what denomination with additional features?
1) Rs 20
2) Rs 50
3) Rs 10
4) Rs 5
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 20
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon introduce a new Rs 20 currency note with additional features. The central bank has already issued new look currency notes in the denominations of Rs 10, Rs 50, Rs 100, and Rs 500, besides introducing Rs 200 and Rs 2,000 bank notes. The new look notes are being introduced since November 2016 under Mahatma Gandhi (New) series. These are different in size and design compared to the notes issued previously.
- Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has announced extension of ban on import of milk and its products, including chocolates, from which country for 4 months till April 23, 2019?
2) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) China
On December 24, 2018, the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) announced extension of ban on import of milk and its products, including chocolates, from China for four months till April 23, 2019. The ban was first imposed in September 2008 and later extended due to the suspicion of presence of melamine in some milk consignments from China. The ban has been imposed as a preventive measure as India doesn’t import milk and its products from China.
- Who became the first Indian to win the Junior Debate Championship at the World Scholar’s Cup held at Yale University, USA from November 16-21, 2018?
1) Aadi Sai Vijaykaran
2) Parul Mehta
3) Vikranth Sharma
4) Reema Charan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Aadi Sai Vijaykaran
On 26th December 2018, 13 years old class 8 student from KC High School in Chennai, Aadi Sai Vijaykaran became the first Indian to win the Junior Debate Championship at the World Scholar’s Cup held at Yale University, USA from November 16-21. The theme for the cup was ‘An Entangled World: diplomacy, human relationships, the science of memory, and literature, art and music’. The Tournament of Champions of World Scholar’s Cup is a competition for young debaters from around the world in which only 2000 participants out of 40,000 qualified for the final of “The tournament of Champions”.
- Name the late music composer who was awarded the Mohammed Rafi Lifetime Achievement Award in Mumbai, on 24th December 2018?
1) Laxmikant Shantaram Kudalkar
2) Shantaram Pallikal
3) Surjit Aluwalia
4) Mithali Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Laxmikant Shantaram Kudalkar
On 24th December 2018, Laxmikant Shantaram Kudalkar was awarded the Mohammed Rafi Lifetime Achievement Award in Mumbai, on 24th December 2018. Kudalkar of the Laxmikant-Pyarelal duo, was given the Mohammed Rafi Lifetime Achievement Award consisting of 1 lakh rupees and a trophy. He had a successful and long partnership with Pyarelal Ramprasad Sharma and as music composers.
- Playback singer ______ was awarded the Mohammed Rafi Award in Mumbai on 24th December 2018?
1) Usha Timothy
2) Ranjani Srivats
3) Maria Sebastian
4) Arpit Mohanty
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Usha Timothy
On December 24, 2018, playback singer Usha Timothy was honoured with the Mohammed Rafi Award and 51,000 rupees in Mumbai. She had sung 1,000 songs in multiple Indian languages such as Hindi, Malayalam, Punjabi, Bhojpuri and Marathi, among others. The awards, instituted by the NGO Spandan Arts, were handed over by Shelar.
- Name the sitar player who was awarded the 2018 Tansen Samman, at the Tansen Music Festival in Gwalior, by Madhya Pradesh government, on 26th December 2018?
1) Sanket Pandit
2) Manju Mehta
3) Roopali Sen
4) Vijay Sagar
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Manju Mehta
On December 26, 2018, the Madhya Pradesh government honoured noted sitar player Manju Mehta with the 2018 Tansen Samman, at theTansen Music Festival in Gwalior. She received the award from Union minister Narendra Singh Tomar, for her contribution to the field of music. The award consisted of a cash award of Rs 2 lakh and a memento.
- The photo division of which Union Ministry will organise the 7th National Photography Awards in February 2019?
1) Ministry of Information & Broadcasting
2) Ministry of Human Resource Development
3) Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
4) Ministry of Home Affairs
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ministry of Information & Broadcasting
The photo division of Ministry of Information & Broadcasting is organizing the 7th National Photography Awards. It will be held in February 2019. Entries for all the awards have been invited from across the country. The photographers will be awarded in mainly three categories – life time achievement award, awards for professional photographers and the awards for the amateur photographers. The award for professional photographer has two categories- professional photographer of the year award with cash prize of one lakh rupees and special mention awards with cash prize of 50 thousand rupees. The Life Time Achievement award carries a cash prize of three lakh rupees.
- Who was appointed the deputy managing director of Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd on 26thDecember 2018?
1) Vinod Seth
2) Bijay Kumar
3) Sathya Batra Das
4) Vishwanath S
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bijay Kumar
On December 26, 2018, Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd appointed retired Indian Administrative Service official Bijay Kumar as itsdeputy managing director.
- _____ was appointed as a non-executive director of Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd on 26th December 2018?
1) Sharmila Kataria
2) Kunal Kashyap
3) Sandeep Vaishnav
4) N Srinivasan
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) N Srinivasan
On December 26, 2018, Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd appointed N Srinivasan as a non-executive director.
- Which state’s marketing board has become the first in India to appoint out-of-state representatives?
1) Uttar Pradesh
2) Arunachal Pradesh
3) Himachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Maharashtra
The Maharashtra State Agricultural Marketing Board (MSAMB) has appointed six officers as its representatives outside the state to facilitate trade in semi-perishable commodities. With this move, the MSAMB will become the first marketing board to appoint out-of-state representatives. These trade representatives will not only collect relevant market information but also facilitate trade across states.
- Name the isolated central Asian country that launched its own and the first messaging app BizBarde in its official language, on 24th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Turkmenistan
On 24th December 2018, the isolated central Asian country, Turkmenistan, where many of the social media sites including Facebook and Whatsapp are banned, launched its own and the first Turkmen messaging app BizBarde that will allow the exchange of messages, files, photos and videos. Eziz Beknazarov is the CEO of BizBarde app developing company. The privately developed BizBarde app can be installed via the Google Android platform in addition to Apple’s iOS and Microsoft home windows. Turkmenistan, the ex-Soviet republic, is one of the world’s most isolated regimes that have blocked many western services including Twitter and Viber, along with popular Russian networks Odnoklassniki and VKontakte. The country regularly finds itself at the bottom of global rights and press freedom rankings because only officially sanctioned media are allowed to operate and internet access is provided solely by the state-owned Turkmen Telecom.
- Indian Coast Guard deployed 2 new hovercrafts, 3 Interceptor Vessels and a new hoverport at the Jakahu base, to provide security to the Sir Creek area, on 25th December 2018. The Sir Creek area lies on the border of which Indian state and Pakistan?
2) Jammu and Kashmir
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Gujarat
On 25th December 2018, Indian Coast Guard deployed two new hovercrafts which will be responsible for carrying out round the clock surveillance in the Sir Creek area with Pakistan. The Sir Creek area lies on the border of Gujarat and Pakistan. In addition to this three Interceptor Vessels are also located there for the operations. Coast Guard Director General Rajendra Singh inaugurated a new hoverport at the Jakahu base which is responsible for providing security to the Sir Creek area. The Sir Creek area in the Kutch district of Gujarat has been used by the infiltrators from Pakistan to enter the Indian Territory. The hovercraft operate at high speeds between 30-40 knots (around 50-60 kilometres) per hour and can be highly useful in pursuit of any suspicious boat or individuals in the waters around there. Coast Guard Director General Rajendra Singh provided around Rs 50,000 to the local village there for enhancing cleanliness in the surrounding areas.
- Europe’s highest and most active volcano Mount Etna located in ____ erupted leading to an earthquake of magnitude 4.8 on Richter scale on 26th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Italy
On 24th December 2018, Italy’s Mount Etna which is Europe’s highest and most active volcano erupted causing temporary closure of Catania Airport on the Sicily’s eastern coast. The Volcanic eruptions leads to an earthquake on magnitude 4.8 on Richter scale on 26th December 2018. According to the national institute for geophysics and vulcanology (INGV) the earthquake happened in the middle of the night and was only one kilometre deep. The epicentre was located in north of Catania. Richter Magnitude scale or Richter’s scale is a device invented by Charles F. Richter to measure the strength of Earthquakes. Mount Etna is an active stratovolcano on the east coast of Sicily, Italy, in the Metropolitan City of Catania, between the cities of Messina and Catania.
- Name the Indian junior golfer who won the U.S. Kids Junior Golf World Championship held in Malaysia, on 21stDecember 2018?
1) Arjun Bhati
2) Kartik Singh
3) Gurnavjeet Singh Bhatia
4) Sanjeev Kumar
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Arjun Bhati
On 21st December 2018, the 14 year old, Indian junior golfer Arjun Bhati bagged the first position against America’s Aksel Moe during the three-level final match in the U.S. Kids Junior Golf World Championship held in Malaysia. To claim 1st position in the championship, Arjun Bhati scored a total of 222 points followed by America and Vietnam at 2nd and 3rd position with 225 and 226 points respectively. Indian Junior Golfers bagged 11 medals, including 4 Gold, scripting history by hallmarking India’s name at the US Kids Golf World Championship. The gold medallists of India include Arjun Bhati (boys’ 13-14 group), Aarnav Nath (boys’ 12 group), Gurnavjeet Singh Bhatia (boys’11group) and Kartik Singh (boys’ 8 group). The winners list also included Harjai Milkha Singh, son of India’s most famous golfer Jeev Milkha Singh. Harjai won bronze in the category for Boys-8 years. The competitions started from Under-7 and went right up to the age group of 15-16 for both boys and girls.
- Who became the 25th Australian cricketer to be officially inducted into the International Cricket Council’s Hall of Fame on 26th December 2018?
1) Steve Smith
2) Ricky Ponting
3) Tim Paine
4) David Warner
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ricky Ponting
On 26th December 2018, Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting became the 25th Australian cricketer to be officially inducted into the International Cricket Council’s Hall of Fame at the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG). A three-time World Cup winner (including two World Cups as captain in 2003 and 2007), Ponting did a lap of honour as part of his induction during the tea break on Day-1 of the Boxing Day Test between India and Australia at MCG. In February 2018, he was also inducted into the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame. Ponting is the highest run scorer for Australia in both Tests and ODIs, with 13,378 runs in the longest format and 13,704 runs in the 50-over format. Other 2018 inductees in the list include India’s Rahul Dravid and England’s Claire Taylor, bringing the total members in the prestigious list to 87.
- Jyoti Randhawa was arrested on charges of poaching in the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve’s protected area in Uttar Pradesh, on 26th December 2018. Which sport does he belong to?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Golf
Ace golfer Jyoti Randhawa was arrested on charges of poaching in the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve’s protected area in Uttar Pradesh, on 26th December 2018.
- Sulagitti Narasamma passed away following a chronic lung disease in Bengaluru, on 25th December 2018. He was a _____?
4) Social Worker
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Social Worker
On 25th December 2018, Social worker and Padma Shri awardee Sulagitti Narasamma passed away following a chronic lung disease at BGS Gleneagles Global Hospital in Bengaluru, Karnataka at the age of 98. She had helped deliver more than 15,000 babies in Krishnapura, a remote village in Pavagada taluk in Karnataka. Narasam was honored with the National Citizen’s award in 2013 and honorary doctorate in 2014 from Tumkur University. The Vayoshreshtha Samman, a lifetime achievement award, was also presented to her by then president Pranab Mukherjee.
- The book ‘Prince, Patron and Patriarch Maharaja Jagatjit Singh of Kapurthala’, released in Chandigarh, on 24thDecember 2018, has been co-authored by the Maharaja’s grandson, Brigadier (Retd) Jagjit Singh and _____?
1) Rahul Singh
2) Cynthia Frederick
3) Amith Phangal
4) Surjit Bhalla
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Cynthia Frederick
On 24th December 2018, Captain Amarinder Singh, Chief Minister of Punjab, released the book ‘Prince, Patron and Patriarch Maharaja Jagatjit Singh of Kapurthala’, co-authored by the Maharaja’s grandson, Brigadier (Retd) Jagjit Singh, and Cynthia Frederick in Chandigarh. Punjab Governor VP Singh Badnore was also present on the occasion of the launch of the book. The book which is published by Roli Books is a candid tribute by a grandson to the erstwhile exceptional royal king of Kapurthala. Maharaja Jagatjit Singh is considered as one of the scripters of modernization of Kapurthala who brought Patiala and Kapurthala on the world map through modernization.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is the Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udyan Park is located? Answer – Patna,Bihar
Explanation:Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udyan also known as Sanjay Gandhi Botanical and Zoological Garden or Patna Zoo is located off Bailey Road in Patna, Bihar, India.On December 26,2018,Patna Zoo has been in News,that it had closed for an indefinite period following the confirmation of H5NI virus killing six peacocks in the zoo. According to Patna Zoo Deputy Director R K Sinha, the zoo had been closed following deaths of six peacocks between December 16 and 24, 2018. He said the bodies of peacocks were sent to National Institute of High-Security Animal Diseases in Bhopal where it was confirmed that birds died after being infected with H5N1 virus.
- Director General of Indian Coast Guard is ____?Rajendra Singh
- Name the Chairman and headquarters of Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd?Chairman – Mr. Uday Kotak; Headquarters – Mumbai
- Who is the Secretary of Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP)?Ramesh Abhishek
- Where is Bir Bhadson wildlife sanctuary located?Punjab
- What is the capital and currency of Turkmenistan?Capital – Ashgabat; Currency – Turkmenistan Manat