AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs December 24 2017 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Which state has issued a circular banning festivities and special darshans at temples to celebrate New Year?
2. Andhra Pradesh
5. KarnatakaAnswer – 2. Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh Endowments Department has issued a circular banning festivities and special darshans at temples to celebrate New Year. The circular was issued by the Hindu Dharma Parirakshana Trust of the Endowments Department. It bans festivities and special darshans for New Year at Hindu temples. It states that organizing new year festivities in temples is not a part of Hindu and Telugu traditions. The circular directs the temple managements and priests not to spend money for floral decorations, banners, special arrangements etc. on New Year celebrations.
- Which State hosted the Two-day Regional Conference on ‘Good Governance and Replication of Best Practices’?
5. Arunachal PradeshAnswer – 2. Assam
Two-day Regional Conference on ‘Good Governance and Replication of Best Practices’ was held in Guwahati, Assam from 22nd – 23rd December, 2017. The conference was organized by Department of Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances (DARPG) under Union Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions in collaboration with Assam State Government. The conference was inaugurated by Chief Minister of Assam, Sarbananda Sonowal. Objective of the conference was to provide a platform for experience sharing in the formulation and implementation of citizen centric governance, Good Governance Index, improving public service delivery and PM awarded initiatives. Six sessions were held during the conference on different themes including ‘Responsive Public Delivery’, ‘PM awarded Initiatives 2017’ and ‘State Collaboration Initiatives in Administrative Reforms’. Delegates from 36 States and Union Territories (UTs) participated in this conference.
- Environment ministry’s pilot project “Blue Flag” is related to which of the following?
1. Beach clean-up
2. Fishermen safety
3. Protect Oceans
5. InfrastructureAnswer – 1. Beach clean-up
In a bid to raise standards of cleanliness and setting up basic amenities at beaches, Union Environment Ministry has launched a pilot project for beach clean-up and development. Under this project, Environment Ministry has asked each coastal state and union territory to nominate one beach which will be developed by deploying funds through the ongoing Integrated Coastal Management Programme. Subsequent to the development, attempt will be made to procure ‘Blue Flag’ certification for such identified beaches. ‘Blue Flag’ certification testifies that a beach, marina or sustainable boating tourism operator adheres to specific standards. This certification is awarded by the Foundation for Environment Education (FEE). So far, all coastal states have nominated one pilot beach in their receptive territories for development under this project.
- In which Indian Airport, the first aircraft runway on a ‘sea bridge’ will be constructed?
1. Veer Savarkar Airport, Port Blair, Andaman
2. Tiruchirapalli Airport, Trichy
3. Dabolim Airport, Goa
4. Agatti Ariport, Lakshadweep
5. Biju Patnaik Airport, BhubaneswarAnswer – 4. Agatti Ariport, Lakshadweep
India’s first aircraft runway on a ‘sea bridge’ will be constructed at Agatti Ariport, Lakshadweep. Airports Authority of India (AAI) has got an approval to extend the existing runway at Agatti Airport, Lakshdweep by building a Reinforced Cement Concrete (RCC) platform on the beach and shallow sea. The existing runway will be extended on this platform and the resultant longer airstrip will enable bigger aircrafts to land and take-off from the Agaatti Airport. Estimated cost for this project is Rs 1500 crore. Earlier, AAI’s plan was to extend the runway by linking two adjacent islands. However, that plan had to be dropped owing to environmental concerns.
- 24-member Select Committee of the Rajya Sabha has recommended body wearable cameras for traffic policemen and Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) officials enforcing the Motor Vehicles Act. This committee was headed by whom?
1. K R Narayanan
2. Roopa Ganguly
3. Swapna Dasgupta
4. Narendra Jadev
5. Vinay P SahasrabuddheAnswer – 5. Vinay P Sahasrabuddhe
24-member Select Committee of the Rajya Sabha, headed by Vinay P Sahasrabuddhe has recommended body wearable cameras for traffic policemen and Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) officials enforcing the Motor Vehicles Act. Committee expects that body wearable cameras will reduce arbitrariness and corruption by the enforcement officials. It has prescribed that offences recorded through these body wearable cameras should be digitally stored and monitored in the control room. The committee has also recommended registration of vehicles by dealers and non-production of vehicles at Regional Transport Offices (RTOs). The panel made these recommendations after examining the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- Meeting of India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC) was held at?
2. New Delhi
5. SochiAnswer – 2. New Delhi
Meeting of India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC) was held in New Delhi on December 23, 2017. This meeting was held to undertake a comprehensive review of bilateral economic cooperation between India and Russia in the areas of trade and investment, energy, transport, agriculture, industry and space. The meeting was co-chaired by India’s External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj and Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin. Both the countries have decided to raise the level of the Joint Working Group (JWG) on trade and economic cooperation to that of Deputy Minister/Commerce Secretary Level.
- Which state government signed an MoU with South Korea to improve cooperation in the field of tourism, skill development, culture and farming?
1. Madhya Pradesh
4. Uttar Pradesh
5. JharkhandAnswer – 4. Uttar Pradesh
The Uttar Pradesh government signed a MoU with South Korea to improve cooperation in the field of tourism, skill development, culture and farming. A South Korean delegation met Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath at Lucknow. They signed a MoU for improving cooperation in tourism, skill development, culture and farming. This is expected to provide more employment opportunities and development in these fields.
- What are the things highlighted and Presented on the resolution which was adopted in regard with the “Nelson Mandela Peace Summit”?
1. Promote Conflict Resolution
2. Promote Race Relations
3. Promote Human Rights
4. Promote Gender Equality
5. All The AboveAnswer – 5. All The Above
The UN General Assembly has planned to mark the 100th anniversary of Nelson Mandela’s birthday with a high-level meeting on world peace. On 22nd December 2017, a resolution was adopted in regard with the “Nelson Mandela Peace Summit”. The peace summit will contain speeches by UN officials. This summit will be conducted before the annual gathering of world leaders in September 2018. The resolution highlighted the importance of Nelson Mandela’s contribution to promote conflict resolution, race relations, human rights, reconciliation and gender equality.
- In which city the Special representatives of India and China held talks to discuss important aspects related to border issues?
5. New DelhiAnswer – 5. New Delhi
Special representatives of India and China held talks in New Delhi to discuss important aspects related to border issues. This was the 20th round of border talks between India and China. Indian side was led by National Security Advisor, Ajit Doval while Yang Jiechi, represented China.Discussion during this round of talks focused on the recent Doklam standoff and other unresolved border disputes between India and China. In June 2017, Indian and Chinese troops were locked in a two-month long standoff following Chinese Army’s plans to build a road in an area claimed by Bhutan.
- In which country, the World’s longest glass pedestrian bridge was inaugurated?
5. CambodiaAnswer – 3. China
World’s longest glass pedestrian bridge opened in Hebei Province of China on December 24, 2017. Length of this bridge is 488 meters, and the width is about two meters. The bridge connects two mountain peaks in Hunyagu in Pingshan County and is suspended at an altitude of 218 meters above the valley. Nearly 1077 glass panels weighing 70 tons are fitted on this bridge. The bridge can withstand weight of about 2000 people. However, only 500 visitors will be allowed at a time. Earlier, a 430-metre-long glass bridge constructed across a deep canyon in China’s Zhangjiajie National Forest Park was considered as longest glass bridge.
- India Government Mint from which city has launched India’s first home-grown high purity gold reference standard – the Bharatiya Nirdeshak Dravya (BND-4201)?
1. India Government Mint (IGM), Kolkata
2. India Government Mint (IGM), Mumbai
3. India Government Mint (IGM), Noida
4. India Government Mint (IGM), Hyderabad
5. India Government Mint (IGM), TrichyAnswer – 2. India Government Mint (IGM), Mumbai
India Government Mint (IGM), Mumbai launched India’s first home-grown high purity gold reference standard – the Bharatiya Nirdeshak Dravya (BND-4201). BND-4201, is the reference material for gold of ‘9999’ fineness (gold that is 99.99 per cent pure). The high purity gold reference standard has been developed through a collaborative effort between IGM, Council of Scientific & Industrial Research-National Physical Laboratory (New Delhi) and Bhabha Atomic Research Centre — National Centre for Compositional Characterisation of Materials (Hyderabad). Gold reference standard is prominently used in gold and jewellery hall marking. Besides, it will also be useful for Collection and Purity Testing Centres to determine the purity of gold deposits under Government’s gold monetisation scheme.
- India has initiated a dumping probe on imports of ‘Sodium Nitrite’ from which country, which is used in industries such as pharma and food processing?
5. IranAnswer – 4. Russia
India has initiated an dumping probe on imports of ‘Sodium Nitrite’, used in industries such as pharma and food processing, from Russia. The Directorate General of Anti-dumping and Allied Duties (DGAD) has found sufficient evidence for dumping of Sodium Nitrite. If it is proved that dumping has caused material injury to domestic industry, DGAD would impose anti-dumping duty on Sodium Nitrite. The investigation period includes April 2016 and March 2017 (12 months). The probe would investigate on the existence, degree and effect of alleged dumping. It will also recommend the amount of anti-dumping duty, if necessary to rectify the damage on the domestic industry.
- Which Private Airlines became the first Indian carrier to operate over 1000 flights in a day across India?
2. Air India
5. IndiGoAnswer – 5. IndiGo
IndiGo became the first Indian carrier to operate over 1000 flights in a day across India. On December 22, 2017, Indigo’s flight 6E 185 from Mumbai to Kochi became the 1000th flight. On the same day, IndiGo also took the delivery of its 31st Airbus A-320 Neo aircraft, taking its fleet size to 150 aircrafts. Earlier, on December 21, 2017, IndiGo had launched the first ATR flight between Hyderabad and Mangalore under Central Governments regional air connectivity scheme, UDAN.
- Who was appointed the new Chief Minister (CM) of Himachal Pradesh?
1. Thaawar Chand
2. Y S Chowdary
3. Keshava Rao
4. Suresh Prabhu
5. Jairam ThakurAnswer – 5. Jairam Thakur
BJP announced Jairam Thakur as the new Chief Minister (CM) of Himachal Pradesh. Jai Ram Thakur will take oath as Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh on 27 December 2017. He is 52 years old. He was an active member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) when he was a college student. He was made ABVP state secretary in 1986. He joined Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) in the 1990s. He was appointed as the state BJP chief in 2006.
- Who was appointed the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Uber Technologies?
1. Mark Twain
2. Barney Harford
3. Edger Allien
4. William Faulker
5. Stephen KingAnswer – 2. Barney Harford
Barney Harford, former chief executive of Orbitz, was appointed as Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Uber Technologies. Barney Harford will join Uber Technologies on 2 January 2018. He will look over global ride-hailing operations, marketing, customer support and the food delivery business. He has been an adviser in Uber Technologies since October 2017. He will have to regulate Uber’s day-to-day business. He has been bestowed with the responsibility to generate profit at Uber, which has recently faced considerable loss.
- Which is the first country to send a female ambassador (Dominique Mineur) to Saudi Arabia?
5. ThailandAnswer – 1. Belgium
Belgium has become the first country to send a female ambassador (Dominique Mineur) to Saudi Arabia. Dominique Mineur is currently Belgium’s ambassador to the United Arab Emirates. She will shift to Riyadh in 2018 summer. Saudi Arabia is one of the least gender equal countries in the world. Recently it has relaxed some of its restrictions on women.
- Name the E-commerce giant which has acquired a startup named Blink that builds wireless home security systems?
5. AmazonAnswer – 5. Amazon
E-commerce giant Amazon has acquired a startup named Blink that builds wireless home security systems. Blink’s home security cameras were first introduced in 2016. Its key feature is the ease of set-up. As it can operate on batteries, it does not require wiring/plugging. This acquisition will help Amazon to create a presence in connected home video cameras market. Financial considerations related to this acquisition deal have yet not been disclosed.
- Which country has successfully conducted the first flight of its first indigenous amphibious aircraft ‘AG600’?
5. IndiaAnswer – 1. China
China successfully conducted the first flight of its first indigenous amphibious aircraft ‘AG600’, in southern Guangdong Province, China. The AG600 aircraft is code named “Kunlong”. It was launched from the Jinwan Civil Aviation Airport in Zhuhai, Guangdong. In Chinese “Kun” means enormous legendary fish and “Long” means a dragon. The aircraft is 39.6 meters long. It is powered through four domestically built turboprop engines. It was developed by the Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC). Its maximum take-off weight is 53.5 tonnes. Its maximum speed is 500 kilometers per hour. It is considered to be the world’s largest amphibious aircraft. It will be used for maritime rescue, fighting forest fires and marine monitoring, etc. It has the capacity to carry 50 people during search-and-rescue missions. It can collect 12 tonnes of water in 20 seconds for fire-fighting.
- Which game has been excluded from the 2022 edition of Commonwealth Games?
5. BoxingAnswer – 3. Shooting
On 21st December 2017, it was announced that shooting has been excluded from the 2022 edition of Commonwealth Games. Shooting is listed in Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF)’s optional sports. A candidate city can include a maximum of 7 sports from that list in its final programme. Birmingham, which is the host city for 2022 Commonwealth games, has so far chosen judo, table tennis, wrestling, gymnastics, diving, cycling and 3v3 basketball to include apart from the mandatory sports. The programme will be finalised by the end of 2018. So far, India has earned one-fourth of its medals in Commonwealth Games through shooting.
- Who defeated Ernest Amuzu at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur for the show ‘Rajasthan Rumble’ and retained his WBO Oriental and Asia Pacific super middleweight titles?
1. Sultan Ibragimov
2. Vijender Singh
3. Wladimir Kitschko
4. Tyson Fury
5. Joseph ParkerAnswer – 2. Vijender Singh
Vijender Singh defeated Ernest Amuzu at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur for the show ‘Rajasthan Rumble’ and retained his WBO Oriental and Asia Pacific super middleweight titles. The ‘Rajasthan Rumble’ consisted of ten rounds. Vijender Singh won majority of the rounds out of the ten. In the final round he defeated Ghana’s Ernest Amuzu. This is Vijender Singh’s 10th consecutive victory in his professional boxing career. Vijender Singh is 32 years old and hails from Haryana. He is currently ranked 6th in the WBO rankings.
- India lost against which country in the final and became runners-up of the SAFF U15 Women’s Championship in Dhaka?
5. MyanmarAnswer – 1. Bangladesh
India lost against Bangladesh in the final and became runners-up of the SAFF U15 Women’s Championship in Dhaka, Bangladesh. India was defeated by Bangladesh 1-0 in the finals of the SAFF U15 Women’s Championship. Earlier, India had lost to Bangladesh 3-0 in the group stage of the championship. The match was very closely fought. In the 41st minute the goal hit by Shamsun Nahar made the difference and India emerged as runners-up.
- Whose writings are gathered in a book called ‘The Way I See It’?
1. Johann Wolfgang
2. Thomas Martin
3. Gauri Lankesh
4. Gunter Grass
5. Bertoit BrechtAnswer – 3. Gauri Lankesh
‘The Way I See It’, a book containing writings by late journalist Gauri Lankesh was launched at the Mumbai Press Club, in Mumbai. “The Way I See It” is a book containing selected works of Gauri Lankesh. It has been edited by Chandan Gowda, writer and sociologist. This book has been released 3 months after Gauri Lankesh was murdered in Bengaluru. The book consists of six sections. It consists of early reportage of Gauri Lankesh in various publications and her articles in Kannada language.
- Central Government has recognised which Indian state as a ‘Champion State’ for exports recording the highest growth in exports during 2016-17?
1. Madhya Pradesh
5. OdishaAnswer – 5. Odisha
Central Government has recognised Odisha as a ‘Champion State’ for exports recording the highest growth in exports during 2016-17. Announcement in this regard was made by Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry during a review meeting on the export performance of states. Exports from Odisha during 2016-17 stood at Rs 40872 crore, which marks a growth of 114% from Rs 19082 crore in 2015-16. According to Revealed Competitive Advantage (RCA) study done by the Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO), Odisha has a competitive advantage vis-a-vis other Indian states in four categories of export items viz. iron, mineral metals, chemicals and marine products. Commencement of exports from Inland Container Depot (ICD) at Balasore, Multi Model Logistic Parks (MMLP) at Jharsuguda and Port-side Container Terminal (PSCT) at Paradip will further boost the quantum of exports from Odisha.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Thousand Pillar Temple is in which state?Warangal, Telangana
- What is the currency of Russia?Ruble; Capital – Moscow
- Rajghat Dam is built across the river?Betwa River
- Yellow River is in which country?China
- Bhitarkanika National Park is in which Indian State?Odisha
- Pin Valley National Park is in which State of India?Himachal Pradesh
- Where is the headquarters of Uber Technologies located?San Francisco, California
- Who is the CEO of Amazon?Jeff Bezos