Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Current Affairs December 2016 Quiz in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating quiz covering important event in Current Affairs, which is common for all the bank exams and other competitive exams.
- Name the Cricket Player who won the 2016 Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy?
D.Quinton de KockAnswer – C.Ravichandran Ashwin
Ravichandran Ashwin has become the third India player after Rahul Dravid (2004) and Sachin Tendulkar (2010) and 12th player overall to win the prestigious Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy. Ravichandran Ashwin, the Indian offspinner, was named the Cricketer of the Year and the ICC Test Cricketer of the Year 2016 by the International Cricket Council (ICC) on December 22. The Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy is a cricket trophy awarded annually by the International Cricket Council to its chosen world player of the Year.
- How much amount has been approved by the government of Japan as Military Budget to counter the military power of North Korea and China?
A.$55. 8 billion
D.$78.66 billionAnswer – B.$43.6 billion
Explanation: The government of Japan headed by Shinzo Abe approved a 1.4 percent increase in military spending on December 22, 2016 in order to counter the military power of North Korea and China.With this the total military budget of record level of $43.6 billion or 5.13 trillion Japanese Yen has been approved by Japan for the year starting April 1. Japan is planning to strengthen its presence in the East China Sea along with making preparations to improve its ballistic missile defense.
- The Reserve Bank of India has recently imposed penalty on how many banks for violating the instructions on reporting requirements of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA).
D.FiveAnswer – D.Five
The Reserve Bank of India imposed penalty on five foreign banks on December 21, 2016, for violating the instructions of RBI on reporting requirements of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA). The bank including Deutsche Bank has been imposed a fine of Rs. 20,000 while other banks including Standard Chartered Bank, Bank of America, Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi and The Royal Bank of Scotland have been fined Rs. 10,000 each.
- Nepal and China is going to hold its first ever joint military exercise on February 10, 2017 which would focus on training Nepali forces in dealing with hostage scenarios involving international terror groups. What is the name of the Nepal-China military exercise?
D.Surya-KiranAnswer – A.Pratikar-1
Nepal has announced to hold its first ever joint military exercise with China on February 10, 2017 to begin a new level of bilateral military engagement with China.The focus of the military exercise, named Pratikar-1, will be on training Nepali forces in dealing with hostage scenarios involving international terror groups. Nepal’s Chief of Army Staff General Rajendra Chhetri visited Beijing in March when both sides had resolved to strengthen military ties.
- Which country has signed an agreement with Argentina to identify 123 Argentine soldiers buried on the Falkland Islands after the 1982 war?
D.RussiaAnswer – B.UK
The UK and Argentina have signed a deal to identify 123 Argentine soldiers buried on the Falkland Islands. Britain and Argentina have signed an agreement on December 20, 2016, to identify the bodies of more than 100 unknown Argentinian soldiers buried on the Falklands Islands after the 1982 war. The move will strengthen the relation between the two countries.
- CBSE’s governing body has approved to make the Board exams mandatory for Class X from which academic session?
D.2018Answer – D.2018
CBSE’s governing body has unanimously approved a proposal on December 20, 2016, to make Board exams for Class X compulsory for all CBSE schools from the academic session 2017-18. Currently, it is optional for CBSE students to choose either the Board exam or a school-based examination. Class X Board exams were made optional in 2011 after educationists objected to the stress associated with it. This was replaced with Continuous Comprehensive Evaluation or CCE. Students, however, could opt for board exams if they wanted.
- Which state’s government has announced the creation of separate Ministry for the Other Backward Classes (OBCs)?
D.PunjabAnswer – C.Maharashtra
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis while addressing the concluding-session of Kunbi Mahotsav at Shahapur in the Thane district of the state on December 20, announced that a separate ministry would be created for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) which would be headed by an independent minister.
- Which state on December 21 issued petro cards to drivers working with the state government to promote cashless payment of fuel in the state?
D.BiharAnswer – A.Haryana
To promote cashless transaction in the state, the Haryana government on December 21, 2016, issued petro cards to drivers working with the state government for cashless payments of fuel. The government has shortlisted two companies for this purpose: Indian Oil Corporation and Bharat Petroleum.
- How much amount has been imposed as fine by the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on airlines who empty their toilet tanks in the air while landing?
D.Rs. 20,000Answer – B.Rs. 50,000
National Green Tribunal (NGT) passed an order on December 20, 2016, directing the country’s aviation regulator, Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), to issue instructions to all airlines, whose aircraft empties toilet tanks on air, to pay Rs 50,000 as environmental compensation. A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Swatanter Kumar asked the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) to issue circular to all ground handling services and airlines to ensure that they do not release waste from human waste tanks while landing or anywhere near the terminals of the IGI Airport.
- Name the winner of the 2016 SASTRA-Ramanujan award for mathematics.
B.Peter Scholze and Kaisa Matomaki
C.Maksym Radziwill and Kaisa Matomaki
D.Kathrin BringmannAnswer – C.Maksym Radziwill and Kaisa Matomaki
The 2016 SASTRA-Ramanujan award for mathematics was presented jointly to Maksym Radziwill of McGill University, Canada and Kaisa Matomaki of University of Turku, Finland at the inauguration of the International Conference on Number Theory at SASTRA University at Kumbakonam. The two were facilitated for their revolutionary collaborative work on short intervals in number theory. The shared award comprising of a citation and prize money of $5,000 will be given to each winner.
- China on December 22 launched a global carbon dioxide monitoring satellite to understand the effect of climate change in the country. Name the satellite.
D.GHGSatAnswer – A.TanSat
Explanation: A global carbon dioxide monitoring satellite, TanSat, was launched by China on December 22, 2016, to understand climate change in the country. The 620-kg satellite TanSat was put into orbit by Long March-2D rocket from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwest China’s Gobi Desert. On a three-year mission, TanSat will thoroughly examine global carbon dioxide levels every 16 days, accurate to at least 4 ppm (parts per million). The new satellite will enable China to obtain emissions data first-hand and share it with researchers worldwide.
- Who has won the 2016 Sahitya Akademi Award for the Hindi novel Paarijat?
D.Nasira SharmaAnswer – D.Nasira Sharma
Nasira Sharma a Hindi Writer has won the 2016 Sahitya Akademi Award for the Hindi novel Paarijat. She has written many verses and stories in the Hindi language. She has written the female writing marks ‘Khshitijpar’. She has written many books such as Bookthan, Patthar gali. She will be given a casket containing a cheque of Rs 1 lakh, a shawl and an engraved copper plaque at a special ceremony on February 22, 2017.
- Vannadhasan, who has recently been named for the 2016 Sahitya Akademi Award is famous for her writings in which language?
D.MarathiAnswer – B.Tamil
Tamil author Vannadhasan, Mumbai-based writer Jerry Pinto, Hindi writer Nasira Sharma are among 24 writers named for the prestigious Sahitya Akademi Awards 2016. Vannadasan aka Kalyanji is a Tamil writer from India born in 1946. He writes short stories and non-fiction articles under the pseudonym of Vannadhasan and poems under Kalyanji. He won Sahitya Akademi Award (2016) for Tamil for his short story collection Oru Siru Isai. He is a retired bank employee.
- Which among the following toll-free number would be launched by the Union Government to provide relevant information and guidance directly to the pregnant women?
D.14444Answer – C.10588
The union government will soon set up a toll-free number 10588 to provide relevant information and guidance directly to the pregnant women. This toll-free number will be functional at Mother and Child Tracking Facilitation Centre (MCTFC) in New Delhi. The caller can give a missed call at this number and the operator will call back within 90 seconds to address their queries.
- The Union Cabinet has approved an ordinance to amend the Payment of Wages Act, to allow employers of certain industries to make payment through the electronic mode and cheques. When was the Act passed?
D.1929Answer – B.1936
The Centre approved a draft ordinance on December 21, 2016, to empower states and enable industries to pay wages by cheque or by direct credit into bank accounts of workers earning up to Rs. 18,000 a month, without taking their explicit consent. For this the Union Cabinet approved the ordinance to amend the Payment of Wages Act, 1936, to allow employers of certain industries to make payment through the electronic mode and cheques.
- Who has been appointed as the newCEO of Greater Noida Industrial Development Authority(GNIDA) by the Uttar Pradesh government?
D.P K AgarwalAnswer – C.Deepak Agarwal
IAS officer Deepak Agarwal, CEO of Greater Noida Industrial Development Authority (GNIDA) was appointed as the CEO of Noida Authority by the Uttar Pradesh government. He succeeds P K Agarwal who will be the additional CEO of Noida Authority. He has been the GNIDA chief since September 2015. He was also posted as the district magistrate of GB Nagar from February 2009 to March 2013 .
- Who has been appointed as the new Chief Secretary of Tamil Nadu?
D.P. Balakrishna ReddyAnswer – A.Girija Vaidyanathan
Explanation: Senior IAS Officer Girija Vaidyanathan was appointed as the new Chief Secretary of Tamil Nadu.She replaced P. Rama Mohana Rao. Vaidyanathan is curently working as the Additional Chief Secretary and Commissioner of Land Reforms. She will also hold additional charge of Vigilance Commissioner and Commissioner for Administrative Reforms.
- Which Indian Minister on December 22, 2016 launched a Google map toilet locator to help people find access to clean public restrooms in New Delhi?
D.Suresh PrabhuAnswer – B.Venkaiah Naidu
Information and Broadcasting Minister Venkaiah Naidu launched google map toilet locator on December 22, 2016 to help people find access to clean public restrooms in New Delhi. Google toilet locator will providing access to a toilet facility every 500 meters in cities.
- Every year National Mathematics Day is celebrated on December 22 to mark the birth anniversary of whom?
D.PythagorasAnswer – A.Srinivasa Ramanujan
December 22 is celebrated as National Mathematics Day annually in India to mark the birth anniversary of Srinivasa Ramanujan. In 2011, Dr Manmohan Singh declared that December 2 is observed as National Mathematics Day and the year 2012 CE would be celebrated as the National Mathematics Year.
- Surendra Prasad Tarun who recently died of prolonged illness on December 21, was former Education Minister of which state?
D.JharkhandAnswer – B.Bihar
Former Bihar Minister and veteran Congress leader Surendra Prasad Tarun passed away in Patna on December 21, 2016. He was 88. Tarun was a former MLA from Atri in Gaya and Hilsa in Nalanda district and he was the minister of state for education from 1985-1988.