AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs December 20 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs December 2018
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where did Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurate a three-day conference on Soft Power, on 17th December 2018?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
On December 17, 2018, the Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated a three-day conference on Soft Power in New Delhi. The Center for Soft Power is the first center in India that is dedicated to the study of Indian soft power. It was established in collaboration with Indic Academy.
- Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) signed a MoU with which company for training rural youth for skill development under Deendayal upadhyaya grameen kaushalya yojana (Ddu-Gky), on 19th December 2018?
1) Maruti Suzuki India Ltd
2) Infosys Limited
3) Google India Limited
4) Tata Motors Limited
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Maruti Suzuki India Ltd
On 19th December 2018, Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) signed a MoU with Maruti Suzuki India Ltd for training rural youth for skill development under Deendayal upadhyaya grameen kaushalya yojana (Ddu-Gky). The MoU was signed in the presence of Minister of Rural Development Shri. Narendra Singh Tomar. Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDU–GKY) is the flagship placement linked skill-training programme under the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD). The partnership between the government and the Maruti Suzuki India Ltd will provide training to atleast 5000 candidates in two years with assured placement to the rural youth of our country. The agreement for the training of youths was done under “Champion Employers” policy in which the industry leaders who have the potential to provide training and captive employment to the candidates are aligned to the objectives of DDU-GKY.
- Name the author of the book “Timeless Laxman”, written on famous cartoonist RK Laxman, released by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Maharashtra, on 18th December 2018?
1) Usha Srinivas Laxman
2) Jayanti Laxman
3) Manish Chawla
4) Suchampa Bhaji
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Usha Srinivas Laxman
On December 18, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi embarked on a 1-day state visit to Maharashtra. Prime Minister also released a book, titled “Timeless Laxman”, based on the famous cartoonist, RK Laxman. The book was penned by the cartoonist’s daughter-in-law, Smt. Usha Srinivas Laxman.
- Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik, announced financial aid of Rs 10 Crore for the establishment of Odiya Cultural Centre, in which city on 17th December 2018?
1) Cuttack, Odisha
2) Surat, Gujarat
3) Mumbai, Maharashtra
4) New Delhi, Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Surat, Gujarat
On 17th December 2018, Shri Naveen Patnaik, Chief Minister of Odisha announced financial aid of Rs 10 Crore for the establishment of Odiya Cultural Centre in Surat, Gujarat. The announcement was made by Naveen Patnaik came at the Odisha Mohotsav organized by Odiya Pravasi Samaj residing in Surat. The CM said that he had requested Gujarat Government for the land allocation and Central Government for a direct flight between Bhubaneswar and Surat.
- Where did the high-level meeting between Indian and Indonesian Coast Guard conclude on 17th December 2018?
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) New Delhi
On December 17, 2018, a high-level meeting between Indian and Indonesia Coast Guard concluded in Coast Guard Headquarters, New Delhi. It was a part of a 4-day conference that commenced from December 16, 2018. The Indian delegation was led by Director General Indian Coast Guard (DG ICG) Shri G Rajendra Singh. The 7-member Indonesian delegation of the Indonesia Coast Guard (BAKAMLA) was led by Chief of BAKAMLA Vice Admiral ATaufiqoerrochman. Mutual cooperation between the two agencies in the multilateral forum of Asian Coast Guards, ‘HACGAM’, was also acknowledged. During the 6th India-Indonesia Joint Defence Cooperation Committee (JDCC) meeting, held in New Delhi on August 09, 2018 both sides had agreed that Chief of BAKAMLA will visit India for a High Level Meeting (HLM).
- Which Union Ministry has released the drafts of a new child protection policy, which would be the first policy dedicated to the protection of children which was earlier under National Child Policy 2013?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
3) Ministry of Women and Child Development
4) Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ministry of Women and Child Development
On December 18, 2018, the Ministry of Women and Child Development (MoWCD) released the drafts of new child protection policy. This would be the first policy dedicated to the protection of children which was earlier under National Child Policy 2013. The policy will be applied to all institutions and organizations (including corporate and media houses) government and private sector. Under this, any abuse on a child can be reported to the helpline number 1098, police or child walfare committee. Unlike the earlier National Child Policy 2013, it does not speak about children who may need additional special protection measures: including those affected by migration, communal or sectarian violence, children forced into begging or in conflict with the law, and those infected with HIV/AIDS. It further categorised 11 forms of offences, under various laws, as punishable acts.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the ‘Republic’ Summit, organized by Republic TV, in _____, on 18thDecember 2018?
1) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Mumbai
On December 18, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi embarked on a 1-day state visit to Maharashtra. He addressed the ‘Republic’ Summit, organized by Republic TV, in Mumbai. In the Republic Summit he indicated that the 28% slab of GST would soon, be restricted to a few select items, such as luxury goods to ensure 99% of all items,used by the common man, would be kept at a GST slab of 18% or less.
- Where was National Cancer Institute (NCI), the largest cancer hospital of India, built at a cost of Rs 2035 crore, opened for public, on 18th December 2018?
1) Mohali, Punjab
2) Jhajjar, Haryana
3) Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
4) Haridwar, Uttarakhand
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Jhajjar, Haryana
On 18th December 2018, National Cancer Institute (NCI) which is the largest cancer hospital of India built at a cost of Rs 2035 crore opened for public in Jhajjar, Haryana but the formal inauguration will be held in January 2019. NCI is a project under All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS), New Delhi and it will be headed by Dr GK Rath who is the Chief of Institute of Rotary Cancer Hospital in AIIMS. The NCI will be the nodal institution for all the activities related to cancer in the country and it will have linkage with other cancer institutes of the country.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the Foundation Stone of Thane-Bhiwandi-Kalyan Metro and the Dahisar-Mira-Bhayander Metro, worth ____ rupees in Kalyan, Maharashtra, on 18th December 2018?
1) Rs 45,000 crores
2) Rs 33,000 crores
3) Rs 28,000 crores
4) Rs 67,000 crores
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rs 33,000 crores
On December 18, 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi embarked on a 1-day state visit to Maharashtra. In Kalyan, the Prime Minister laid the Foundation Stone of 2 important metro corridors worth Rs. 33,000 crores. The 2 corridors are: the Thane-Bhiwandi-Kalyan Metro; and the Dahisar-Mira-Bhayander Metro. Here, he also launched the 90,000 units’ EWS and LIG Housing scheme under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana. In the second half of his visit the PM reached Pune where he laid the Foundation Stone of Pune Metro Phase-3.
- The Central Government has set up National Medical Devices Promotion Council (NMDPC) to tackle patient safety and pricing on Medical Devices, under which Union Ministry?
1) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
2) Ministry of Finance
3) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
4) Ministry of Human Resource Development
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
On 7th December 2018, the central government set up a new National Medical Devices Promotion Council (NMDPC) to plug loopholes in India’s regulatory framework for medical devices to ensure safety of patients, pricing and restrictions on import of pre-owned equipment. The council will operate under Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, and will have 14 members, including representatives from the Health Ministry and Niti Aayog. The NMDPC has also appointed the Association of Indian Medical Device Industry (AiMeD) as a member of the Council. The council is aimed to boost and strengthen the Indian medical devices sector, lead India to an export driven market inorder to feature among the top 5 medical devices manufacturing hubs worldwide.
- Manoj Sinha, Union Minister of state (Independent charge) for communications, released a postage stamp on ____ who was a great contributor in Mahatma Gandhi’s Champaran Satyagraha, on 18th December 2018?
1) Surjit Saini
2) Rajkumar Shukla
3) Vinesh Singhla
4) Mohit Chauhan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rajkumar Shukla
On 18th December 2018, Shri Manoj Sinha who is Union Minister of state (Independent charge) for communication and Minister of state for Railways released a postage stamp on Rajkumar Shukla in New Delhi. Department of Post paid tribute to Rajkumar Shukla who made a great contribution in the launch of Champaran Satyagraha by Mahatma Gandhi at Champaran, Bihar in 1917.
- NeVA Project implemented by Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs aims to introduce Paperless Assembly or e-Assembly. What does “A” represent in NeVA?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Application
NeVA – National e-Vidhan Application
On 18th December 2018, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Shri Arjun Ram Meghwal, while giving a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha, gave details on the status of implementation of National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA) Project. Paperless Assembly or e-Assembly is a concept involving of electronic means to facilitate the work of Assembly. e-Vidhan is a Mission Mode Project (MMP) included in Digital India Programme. It is implemented by Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs (MoPA). MoPA is the ‘Nodal Ministry’ for its implementation in all the 31 States/ UTs with Legislatures. The total project cost of the project is over 738 crores and funding of NeVA is on the pattern of Central Sponsored Scheme i.e. 60:40; and 90:10 for North East & hilly States and 100% for UTs.
- Where was the 7th round of India – South Korea Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) negotiations, held from 11th to 13th December 2018?
1) Mumbai, India
2) New Delhi, India
3) Seoul, South Korea
4) Pyeongchang, South Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Seoul, South Korea
On December 13, 2018, the three day 7th round of India – South Korea Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) negotiations concluded in Seoul, South Korea. It was held between 11-13 December, 2018. Delegation from Indian sugar industry was representing India in the CEPA negotiations. The meetings were arranged by the Indian Embassy in Seoul. Korea and India signed the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement in Seoul on 7 August 2009 and was operationalized with effect from 1 January 2010. The CEPA is Korea’s first free trade agreement with a member of the BRICS nations. The trade deal, which came after negotiations of more than three years and twelve rounds, commits the two countries to lowering or eliminating import tariffs on a wide range of goods over the next 8 years, and helps expand opportunities for investments and trade in goods as well as services.
- Name the compact adopted by United Nations General Assembly on 17th December 2018, as it agreed upon a framework affirming international solidarity and cooperation for refugee protection and host community development?
1) Compact for Refugee Protection
2) Compact for Migrant Workers’ Protection
3) Global Compact on Refugees
4) Global Compact on Migrant population and refugees
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Global Compact on Refugees
On 17th December 2018, the U.N. General Assembly agreed upon a framework affirming international solidarity and cooperation for refugee protection and host community development while adopting the Global Compact on Refugees. The Global Compact on refugees received 181 votes in favour in the 193-member assembly. The United States and Hungary were the only that voted against the agreement, while the Dominican Republic, Eritrea and Libya abstained. The compact which aims to ease the burden on developing nations, which host 90 percent of some 25 million refugees, will provide more investment to further strengthening infrastructure and the provisions of services for refugees and host communities.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has announced to raise the quantum of bilateral trade between India and South Korea to ____ by 2030, as decided in the 9th India-Korea Joint Commission Meeting held in New Delhi?
1) 90 billion dollars
2) 50 billion dollars
3) 70 billion dollars
4) 35 billion dollars
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 50 billion dollars
On December 19, 2018, on the visit of Foreign Affairs Minister of Korea Ms. Kang Kyung-wha, Indian Foreign Minister Mrs Sushma Swaraj announced to raise the quantum of the bilateral trade to 50 billion dollars by the year 2030. It was decided in the concluded the 9th India-Korea Joint Commission Meeting which was held in New Delhi. The Indian side also extended an invitation to South Korea to join the International Solar Alliance as South Korea as an indispensable partner in India’s ‘Act East’ policy.
- Name Pakistan’s human rights activist who was posthumously awarded the UN (United Nations) Human Rights Prize for 2018, in New York, on 18th December 2018?
1) Munizae Kalam
2) Safia Al Hamid
3) Asma Jahangir
4) Razia Samir
5) None of theseAnswer -3) Asma Jahangir
On 18th December 2018, UN (United Nations) Human Rights Prize for 2018, which was posthumously awarded to Pakistan’s iconic human rights activist and lawyer Asma Jahangir, was received by her daughter, Munizae, at an impressive ceremony in the General Assembly hall of United Nations, in New York. The award and a plaque were handed over to Munizae Jahangir, a journalist and human rights activist herself, by the President of the General Assembly, Maria Fernanda Espinosa. Jahangir was an outspoken critic of Pakistan’s powerful military establishment and she fought against religious extremism and for the rights of oppressed minorities in Pakistan. Asma Jahangir was one of the four winners of the award which was announced by the United Nations in October and is given once in every five years since 1968. The three others who received the awards were: Ms. Rebeca Gyumi (Tanzania), Ms. Joenia Wapichana (Brazil) and Front Line Defenders (Irish organization). The award was given at the event organised to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, marked annually on December 10.
- Who was appointed as the new Chairman of Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) with effect from January 1, 2019?
1) Rajiv Mishra
2) Anita Nair
3) S Paramesh
4) Pranab Kumar Das
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Pranab Kumar Das
On 17th December 2018, the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet had approved the appointment of Pranab Kumar Das as the new Chairman of Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) from January 1, 2019. Das, who is currently a Special Secretary and Member (Customs) at CBIC, will succeed S. Ramesh, who superannuates on December 31. Pranab Kumar Das is a 1983 batch IRS Officer of Customs & Central Excise Cadre and was appointed as Member in the Central Board of Excise & Customs (CBEC) in 2017. The CBIC is headed by the Chairman and consists of six members, who overlook various areas such as customs, central excise, service tax, Goods and Services Tax (GST), administration and budget, among other.
- Name the interim chief of Central Bureau Investigation (CBI) who was promoted to the rank of Additional Director with immediate effect, on 18th December 2018?
1) Atul Kulkarni
2) Aryan Sharma
3) Manpreet Singh
4) M Nageswara Rao
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) M Nageswara Rao
On 18th December 2018, M Nageswara Rao, the interim chief of Central Bureau Investigation (CBI) was promoted to the rank of an Additional Director with immediate effect by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet under Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Rao is a 1986-batch Indian Police Services officer from the Odisha cadre. Rao was appointed the interim director of CBI after the government stepped in between CBI director Alok Verma and special director Rakesh Asthana amid an ongoing feud between the two and sent both of them on leave. Earlier while hearing the petition regarding the feud between Verma and Asthana, the Supreme Court allowed M Nageswara Rao to act as interim chief of the CBI but asked him not to formulate any key policy decisions until it hears the petition.
- ___ was appointed the first full-time Chief Vigilance Officer (CVO) of SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) for an initial period of 3 years, on 17th December 2018?
1) Arti Chhabra Srivastava
2) Veena Naik
3) Subash Mukthi Singh
4) Lal Chandra Nath
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Arti Chhabra Srivastava
On December 17, 2018, the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) cleared the name of Arti Chhabra Srivastava as the first full-time Chief Vigilance Officer (CVO) of SEBI for an initial period of 3 years. She is a 1990-batch Indian Ordinance Factory Services officer, and her appointment was approved by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC). CVOs are considered an extended hand of the CVC, which is tasked with detecting graft by officials holding public office. Functions of the CVO include:
• Mainly keeping tabs on its officials and detect and punish corruption and other malpractices,
• to examine existing rules and procedures of the organisation to eliminate or minimise scope for corruption and malpractices,
• To ensure observance of rules by SEBI officials relating to annual property returns, gifts accepted, benami transactions and regarding their relatives employed in private firms or businesses.
- Who was appointed the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Djibouti, on 19th December 2018?
1) Sheena Prakash
2) Ashok Kumar
3) Surya Dev Nath
4) Rashmi Mondal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ashok Kumar
On December 19, 2018, Ashok Kumar was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Djibouti. He is presently Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Name the Belgium Prime Minister who resigned amid pressure on his government because of his support for the UN global pact on migration, on 18th December 2018?
1) Rufus Mikovich
2) Charles Michel
3) Marshal Gallagher
4) Daniel Silverado
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Charles Michel
On 18th December 2018, Belgium Prime Minister Charles Michel resigned amid pressure on his government because of his support for the UN global pact on migration. Due to the migration spat, Belgium Prime Minister lost the backing of coalition partner nationalist New Flemish Alliance and opposition parties refused to support his minority government during the debate in the parliament.
- _____ was appointed the next Ambassador of India to Mongolia, on 19th December 2018?
1) Asraful Khan
2) Mohinder Pratap Singh
3) Sreeram Kumar R
4) Vijay Mittal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Mohinder Pratap Singh
On December 19, 2018, Mohinder Pratap Singh was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Mongolia. He is presently Director at Headquarters of the Ministry of External Affairs.
- IDFC Bank merged with non-banking financial company Capital First resulting in a merged entity IDFC First Bank to be headquartered in Mumbai. Who will the MD and CEO of IDFC First Bank?
1) V Vaidyanathan
2) Rajiv Lall
3) Mahesh Kumar
4) R Srinivasan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) V Vaidyanathan
On 18th December 2018, the Infrastructure Development Finance Company Bank (IDFC Bank) and non-banking financial company Capital First completed their merger process, creating a combined loan asset book of Rs 1.03 lakh crore for the merged entity IDFC First Bank, which will be headquartered in Mumbai. V Vaidyanathan will be the managing director and chief executive officer (MD and CEO) of the merged entity while Rajiv Lall will be the part-time non-executive chairman, subject to Reserve Bank of India approval. The merge entity will serve 7.2 million customers through its 203 bank branches, 129 ATMs, 454 rural business correspondent centres across the country’s urban and rural geographies. The merger was announced on January 13, 2018. According to the merger agreement, shareholders will receive 139 shares of IDFC Bank for each 10 shares held of Warburg Pincus-backed Capital First.
- Name the 2250 kg military communication satellite launched by Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) from Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh, on 19th December 2018, which is also the 39th Indian Communication satellite?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) GSAT-7A
On 19th December 2018, Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) launched 2250 kg military communication satellite GSAT-7A from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh. GSAT-7A is the 39th Indian Communication satellite. GSAT-7A is the first satellite built primarily for Indian Air Force to qualitatively unify its assets and improve combined, common intelligence during operation. The Satellite will improve the way Indian Air Force (IAF) interlinks, operates and communicates with its aircrafts during flight with the help of command centres on ground. The satellite will use “Ku band” for superior real time aircraft to aircraft communications. Space Vehicle, GSLV-F11 (Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle) is used to release the satellite to an eventful geostationary orbit about 36000 km from the Earth.
- Which state government launched ‘Shiksha Setu’ mobile App to provide information on attendance, fee, online admission and scholarships of the state’s government colleges to students, on 18th December 2018?
3) Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Haryana
On 18th December 2018, Haryana government launched a mobile App ‘Shiksha Setu’ to provide students information on attendance, fee, online admission and scholarships of the government colleges of the state. The App will provides instant updates of the important notices, circulars and other programmes to students and teachers. The App will bring transparency in the department and college administration while ensuring better connectivity between students, parents, teachers and officials
- Researchers at _____ institute have developed a new technique to produce high value graphene with 88 % graphene yield from discarded dry cell batteries?
1) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
2) Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur
3) MS Ramiah Institute of Technology, Bengaluru
4) Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology (IGIT), New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur
On December 19, 2018, researchers at Nagpur-based Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology have developed a new technique to produce high value graphene from discarded dry cells batteries. They have achieved 88% yield of graphene from a single graphite rod. The research results have been published Journal of Hazardous Materials and Bulletin of Material Science.
- Who is the author of the book ‘Changing India’ that was released on December 19, 2018?
1) Arun Jaitley
2) Narendra Modi
3) Manmohan Singh
4) Sachin Tendulkar
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Manmohan Singh
On December 19, 2018, the book ‘Changing India’ written by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was released. It is a set of 6 volumes having a compilation of speeches and writings detailing Mr Singh’s life as an economist as well as his 10-year period at the helm of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance regime. The sets are as follows:
• The first volume is titled ‘India’s Export Trends and the Prospects for Self-Sustained Growth’,
• The second volume ‘Thoughts on Trade and Development’.
• The third volume is dedicated to ‘The International Economic Order and the Quest for Equity in Development’.
• The fourth volume focuses on ‘Economic Reforms: 1991 and Beyond’, talking about India’s economic liberalisation, and
• And the fifth volume, which is in two parts, deals with the prime ministerial years from 2004-2014.
• This final part of the book is titled ‘The Prime Minister Speaks’.
- When was 57th Goa Liberation Day celebrated?
1) December 17
2) December 18
3) December 19
4) December 20
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) December 19
On December 19, 2018, 57th Goa Liberation Day was celebrated. Goa Liberation Day programme was held in Panaji in North Goa. Goa legislative assembly speaker Pramod Sawant also presented Goa Chief Minister’s Fire Service Medals for meritorious service as part of Liberation Day celebrations in Panaji. Goa was liberated on 19th December1961, from around 450 years of Portuguese rule. In 1963, the Parliament passed the 12th Amendment Act to the Constitution of India, formally integrating the captured territories into the Indian Union. Goa, Daman and Diu became a Union Territory. Dadra and Nagar Haveli, which was previously a part of the Estado da India, but independent between 1954 and 1961, became a separate Union Territory. In 1987 Goa was separated from Daman and Diu and made a full-fledged state.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Director General of Indian Coast Guard (DG ICG) is ____?G Rajendra Singh
- Where is Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary located?Goa
- Who is the High Commissioner of United Nations Human Rights Council headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland?Michelle Bachelet
- Name the Chairperson and headquarters of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)?Chairperson – K. Sivan; Headquarters – Bangalore, Karnataka
- Who is the Chief Minister of Maharashtra?Devendra Fadnavis