AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs December 2 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs December 2018
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Name the software launched by Indian Railways that will enable the Union Railway Minister Piyush Goyal to keep track of punctuality of trains and freight and passenger earnings from anywhere in India?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) eDrishti
On November 29, 2018, the Indian Railways launched a software named- ‘eDrishti’, that will enable the Union Railway Minister Shri. Piyush Goyalto keep track of punctuality of trains as well as freight and passenger earnings from anywhere in the country. The software has been developed by the Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS). This would enable the railway minister to know the following:
• A day’s freight and passenger earnings,
• Freight loading and unloading,
• The progress of major projects,
• Public grievances,
• The movement of trains across the country,
• Details of railway stations,
• Video monitoring of the IRCTC kitchens,
• Live status of reserved and unreserved passengers travelling on trains.
The software has also been connected with the base kitchens of the Indian Rail Catering and Tourism Corp (IRCTC).
- Dr Ambedkar International Centre (DAIC) and which university signed a MoU for Socio-economic Transformation and Sustainable Development, on 30thNovember 2018?
1) Jawaharlal Nehru University
2) Madras Institute of Technology
3) Delhi University
4) Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Jawaharlal Nehru University
On November 30, 2018, Dr Ambedkar International Centre (DAIC) and Jawaharlal Nehru University signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for Socio-economic Transformation and Sustainable Development. The MoU will facilitate and enhance research activities and policy formulation aimed at Socio-economic Transformation and Sustainable Development. This would define the areas for fundamental, academic research in which both the parties would work in a collaborative framework to benefit from each other’s initiatives.
- Where did Confederation of Indian industry (CII) organise its 15th India Health Summit-2018, on 29th and 30th November 2018?
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) New Delhi
From 29th November to 30th November 2018, The leading industry body, Confederation of Indian industry (CII) organised its Annual Flagship, 15th India Health Summit-2018 in New Delhi. The theme of the summit this year is ‘Indian Healthcare – A Changing Paradigm’. Ms Anupriya Patel, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare released a report, ‘Creating the New Ecosystems to Provide Healthcare’ on the occasion. Union Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship & Petroleum and Natural Gas Shri Dharmendra Pradhan also addressed the summit.
- The _____ edition of Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) Agro Tech India-2018 was inaugurated by President Ram Nath Kovind on 1st December 2018 in Chandigarh?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Thirteenth
On December 1, 2018, the President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the four day 13th edition of CII Agro Tech India-2018 in Chandigarh. The fair would conclude on December 4, 2018. The International Agro Technology and Business Fair was organized by Confederation of Indian Industries. The theme for the 2018 edition was “Technology in Agriculture: Increasing Farmer’s Income”. Great Britain was the partner country while the focus countries were Canada and China. Also the host states were Punjab and Haryana and the partner ministries included Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare and Ministry of Food Processing Industries.
- Which state celebrates the 19th Hornbill Festival 2018 from 1st to 10th December 2018?
4) Arunachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Nagaland
The 19th Hornbill Festival 2018 is celebrated from 1st to 10th December 2018 in Nagaland. It is celebrated at the Naga Heritage Village in Kisama, located around 12 kilometers from the capital of the Nagaland, Kohima. The Hornbill Festival is one of the most cherished festivals of Nagaland. It is named after Hornbill, one of the most venerated bird species in the state. The 10-day festival is celebrated annually during the first week of December, i.e. from December 1-10. It is organized by State Tourism and Arts and Culture Department, Government of Nagaland to encourage inter-tribal harmony and promote culture and traditions of the different tribes of the state.
- When was the 55th Nagaland Statehood Day celebrated, that commemorates Nagaland’s formal inception as a state in 1963?
1) December 2
2) December 1
3) December 3
4) December 4
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) December 1
December 1, is annually seen as Nagaland Statehood Day since its formal inception as state in 1963, with the enactment of the state of Nagaland Act in 1962. On December 1, 1963 Nagaland was inaugurated as the 16th State of the Indian Union by Dr Sarvapelli Radhakrishnan, the then President of India. December 1, 2018 marked the 55th Nagaland Statehood Day and was celebrated at the Secretariat Plaza in Kohima.
- Name the large scale tri-service exercise involving the Navy, the Army and the Air Force of India, that was conducted at sea off Goa and Karwar coasts from 17th November to 23rd November 2018?
1) Madad 2018
2) Cope India 2018
3) Shakthi 2018
4) Tricolour 2018
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Madad 2018
From 17th November to 23rd November 2018, A large scale tri-service exercise involving the Navy, the Army and the Air Force ‘Madad 2018’ was conducted at sea off Goa and Karwar coasts in a move aimed at fine-tuning joint war-fighting capabilities and enhancing operational synergy. The biennial exercise was coordinated by the Indian Navy’s Western Naval Command in consultation with Headquarters Integrated Defence Staff (HQIDS). The Kolkata Class destroyers, Landing Ships, Fleet support ship with ship borne helicopters, MARCOS and other force levels from all the three maritime commands of the Indian Navy were deployed in the exercise. The exercise also saw participation of Amphibious troops, Special Forces, Engineers along with support elements from the Indian Army, and C-17, C-130J, IL-76, AN 32 aircraft and Garuds of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- Where will India’s first international indigenous film festival be held in February 2019?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Odisha
India’s first international indigenous film festival will take place in February next year in Odisha. It will be an initiative of activist film collective ‘Video Republic’. The three-stop event will kick off in Bhubaneswar on February 19 and 20, moving on to Puri from February 21 to 23 and will eventually culminate in an interaction with the adivasi communities at Niyamgiri. Films made by indigenous people or made by non-indigenous filmmakers in collaboration with the indigenous communities will be shown in the event.
- Tamil Nadu government hiked the health insurance cover under the Chief Minister’s Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme (CMCHIS) from Rs 2 lakh to ____ lakh , on 30th November 2018?
1) Rs 5 lakh
2) Rs 6 lakh
3) Rs 3 lakh
4) Rs 4 lakh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 5 lakh
On November 30, 2018, the Tamil Nadu government hiked the health insurance cover under the Chief Minister’s Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme (CMCHIS) from Rs two lakh to Rs five lakh. This would come into effect from December 1, 2018 and would benefit 1.58 crore families as a cashless scheme. Through this the state would cover 1027 medical procedures for most of those who earn less than Rs. 72,000 per annum.
- Which state had the most number of beneficiaries under the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban)?
2) Madhya Pradesh
3) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Gujarat
Around 2.75 lakh beneficiaries have availed a subsidy scheme under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban), with Gujarat topping the chart. Maharashtraand Madhya Pradesh had the most number of beneficiaries under the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) after Gujarat. Over 88,000 beneficiaries have been disbursed CLSS in Gujarat, while 74,000 people have availed the subsidy in Madhya Pradesh in three categories – economically weaker section (EWS), low income group (LIG) and middle income group (MIG) categories under the PMAY (U).
- Where did NITI Aayog organise Development Dialogue on “Health Systems for A New India: Building Blocks”, on 30th November 2018?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
On November 30, 2018, NITI Aayog initiated a series of Development Dialogue through its first event on “Health Systems for A New India: Building Blocks” in New Delhi. The conference featured senior government functionaries, and eminent national and international experts in the healthcare space. The conference focused on strengthening governance, policy and regulatory frameworks and institutions for a developed health system that can grow to a globally competitive healthcare insurance.
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has approved formula for compensation to the patients who had received faulty Articular Surface Replacement (ASR) hip implants manufactured by M/s. DePuy International Limited. This decision was taken by a Central Expert Committee under the Chairmanship of _____?
1) Dr. R.K. Arya
2) Dr. M. Mathan Kumar
3) Dr. Sudeep Singhla
4) Dr. Anjal Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Dr. R.K. Arya
On November 29, 2018, the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India approved formula for compensation to the patients receiving faulty Articular Surface Replacement (ASR) hip implants manufactured by M/s. DePuy International Limited, U.K (M/S Johnson & Johnson Pvt Ltd). The approved formula would see patients being compensated anywhere between Rs. 30 lakh and Rs. 1.23 crore, depending on the age and level of disability of the patient. The decision was taken by a Central Expert Committee under the Chairmanship of Dr. R.K. Arya, Director, Sports Injury Centre that determined the quantum of compensation. This was based on the recommendations of an expert committee, constituted by the Ministry, under the Chairmanship of Dr. Arun Kumar Agarwal, that examined the issues relating to faulty ASR Hip Implants. Furthermore, all state and union territory governments have been requested by the ministry to form state-level committees to examine affected and send their recommendations to the central committee that has proposed the compensation formula.
- Which country took over the chairmanship of Kimberley Process from European Union during the 15th Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) Plenary 2018, held in Brussels, Belgium, from 12th-16thNovember 2018?
1) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) India
On November 30, 2018, India took over the chairmanship of Kimberley Process from European Union during the four-day 15th Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS) Plenary 2018, that was held in Brussels, Belgium, from 12th-16thNovember 2018. The chairmanship of the KPCS for India would be operation from January 2019. And the next Intersessional session is slated to be held in India as Chair. Botswana and the Russian Federation will serve as Vice-Chair during the period of 2019-2020.
- India has almost a _____ of the world’s stunted children, according to the Global Nutrition Report 2018?
1) One Third
2) One Fourth
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) One Third
India is facing a major malnutrition crisis as it holds almost a One third of the world’s stunted children, according to a Global Nutrition Report 2018.The report classifies India as experiencing two forms of malnutrition anemia and stunting. Stunting or low height for age is caused by long term insufficient nutrient-intake and frequent infections. With 46.6 million children who are stunted, India tops the list among 140 countries followed by Nigeria ( 13.3 million) and Pakistan (10.7 million). India also accounted for 25.5 million children who are wasted followed by Nigeria (3.4 million) and Indonesia (3.3 million). The World health organization is a Global Nutrition Report Partner.
- Name the country that has the highest number of children and teens with HIV in South Asia, as per the ‘Children, HIV and AIDS: The World in 2030’ report released by UNICEF (United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund)?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) India
On 30th November 2018, a report by UNICEF (United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund ) which was released ahead of AIDS day estimated that 1,20,000 children and adolescents aged 0-19 were living with HIV in India in 2017, the highest number in South Asia. The report titled ‘Children, HIV and AIDS: The World in 2030’ warned that around 80 adolescents will be dying of AIDS every day globally by 2030 if progress in preventing transmission is not accelerated. In India, an estimated 120,000 children and adolescents aged 0-19 were living with HIV in 2017. In Pakistan, this number was 5800, followed by Nepal (1,600)and Bangladesh (less than 1,000). In 2017, the estimated number of children under 5 years old newly diagnosed with HIV was 43 per cent lower than the comparable estimate in 2010 a decline greater than the 35 per cent recorded globally. “The report makes it clear, without the shadow of a doubt, that the world is off track when it comes to ending AIDS among children and adolescents by 2030,” said UNICEF chief Henrietta Fore.
- Which will be the focal country of the 12 day 43rd International Kolkata Book Fair that will begin from January 30, 2019, in Kolkata?
2) Czech Republic
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Guatemala
Guatemala will be the focal country of the 12 day 43rd International Kolkata Book Fair that will begin from January 30, 2019, in Kolkata. Around 20 countries from Asia, Europe and Latin America would take part. The fair will be inaugurated by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. The fair would conclude on February 10, Publishers and Booksellers Guild officials told the media here in the presence of Ambassador of Guatemala in India Giovanni Castillo.
- Where will the two-day Global Aviation Summit be organised by the Government and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) on 15th and 16th January 2019?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mumbai
The two-day Global Aviation Summit will be organised by the Government and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) on 15th and 16th January 2019, in Mumbai. It would provide a platform for the stakeholders to brainstorm on the future of aviation industry and identify the growth areas. The ministry along with industry body Ficci would be organising the summit with the theme ‘Flying for all — especially for the next 6 billion’. Among others, the future of drones, sustainable growth of aviation, cargo and logistics in the aviation industry would be discussed.
- _____ became the first country in the world to criminalize the act of falsely inducing children into orphanages as a form of slavery, on 30th November 2018?
2) United States
4) Saudi Arabia
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Australia
On November 30, 2018, Australia became the first country in the world to criminalize the act of falsely inducing children into orphanages as a form of slavery. The Modern Slavery Bill was passed by both houses of parliament and under it the new law, so-called “orphanage trafficking” will be treated as a slavery and trafficking offense. Evidence shows that about 80 per cent of these children have family who could care for them if they had the right support.
- Name the country that amended the Offensive Weapons Bill 2018 to ensure the right to possession of kirpans by Sikhs, on 30th November 2018?
1) United States
2) United Kingdom
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) United Kingdom
On November 30, 2018, the United Kingdom government amended the Offensive Weapons Bill 2018 to ensure right to possession of kirpans by Sikhs. The move would maintain status quo in continuing to legally safeguard the sale, possession and use of large kirpans and to not criminalise the Sikh community for the sale or possession of one. The move was led by the first female Sikh MP in the House of Commons, MP Preet Kaur Gill. The bill is aimed at strengthening existing legislative measures on offensive weapons, focusing on corrosive substances, knives and certain types of firearm. It would also ban the sale of corrosive substances to anyone under the age of 18.
- Ebola outbreak in which country was declared the second largest in history, by World Health Organization, on 29th November 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Congo
Congo’s deadly Ebola outbreak is now the second largest in history, behind the devastating West Africa outbreak that killed thousands a few years ago, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared on 29th November 2018. WHO’s emergencies chief, Dr. Peter Salama, called it a “sad toll” as Congo’s health ministry announced the number of cases has reached 426. That includes 379 confirmed cases and 47 probable ones. So far this outbreak, declared on Aug. 1, has 198 confirmed deaths, with another 47 probable ones.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) made Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) code mandatory for all market transactions regulated by RBI. How many characters does the LEI contain?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 20
On December 1, 2018, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) made Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) code mandatory for all market transactions regulated by the central bank. The LEI is a 20-character unique identity code assigned to entities who are parties to a financial transaction. The participants of the implementation include:
• Government securities markets,
• Money markets (markets for any instrument with a maturity of one year or less) and
• Non-derivative forex markets.
• However they exclude individuals and transactions undertaken on recognised stock exchanges.
This is a key measure taken by RBI to help improve the quality of risk management by bettering the accuracy of the financial data in the system.
- State Bank of India (SBI) revised its fixed deposit (FD) interest rates on select maturities by 5 to ___ basis points for deposits below Rs. 1 crore, on 28th November 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 10
On November 28, 2018, State Bank of India (SBI) revised its fixed deposit (FD) interest rates on select maturities by 0.05-0.10 per cent or 5-10 basis points. The hiked interest rates are on deposits below Rs. 1 crore. These changes were done ahead of the fifth bi-monthly monetary policy review outcome on December 5.
- RBI (Reserve Bank of India) announced the date of its implementation of the Net Stable Funding Ration (NSFR) norms to be from _____?
1) April 1, 2020
2) July 1, 2020
3) February 1, 2020
4) June 1, 2020
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) April 1, 2020
On December 1, 2018, RBI announced the date of its implementation of the Net Stable Funding Ration (NSFR) norms to be from April 1, 2020. In the backdrop of global crises since 2007, the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) proposed certain reforms to strengthen global capital and liquidity regulations with the objective of promoting a more resilient banking sector. The NSFR norms were thus issued and from the aforesaid date the NSFR norms would be active in the Indian banking sector. The norms would be applicable for Indian banks at the solo as well as consolidated level, whereas, foreign banks operating as branches in India, the framework would be applicable on stand-alone basis (for Indian operations only).
- Indian Economy grows at what per cent in the second quarter (July-September) of 2018-19, as per the report released by Central Statistics Office (CSO)?
1) 7.5 %
2) 7.6 %
3) 7.1 %
4) 7.3 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 7.1 %
On 30th November 2018, Central Statistics Office (CSO) released a report showing that Indian Economy grew at 7.1 per cent in the second quarter (July-September) of 2018-19 which is lower than the first quarter in which GDP growth was 8.1 per cent. As per the report of CSO, despite having Manufacturing growth at 7.4, Indian Economy growth moderated in the second quarter of 2018 but it is higher than the second quarter of 2017-18 which shows a growth rate of 6.3 per cent.
- A double taxation avoidance agreement between India and which Special Administrative Region of People’s Republic of China, came into effect on 30thNovember 2018?
2) Hong Kong
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Hong Kong
On November 30, 2018, a double taxation avoidance agreement came into effect between India and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of People’s Republic of China. The agreement would ensure avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income and improve transparency in tax matters. It would also stimulate more the two-way flow of investments, technology and personnel from India to HKSAR and vice versa. The agreement was originally signed on March 19, 2018 between the 2 countries. Also on November 26, India and China have amended the bilateral tax treaty which will help prevent tax evasion by allowing exchange of information.
- Who was the first Leader to be Stripped Of Freedom Of Paris Award on 30th November 2018?
1) Aung San Suu Kyi
2) Vladimir Putin
3) Donald Trump
4) Emmanuel Macron
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Aung San Suu Kyi
On November 30, 2018, Mayor Anne Hidalgo of Paris, France revoked the honour of Freedom of Paris Award from the Myanmar Leader Aung San Suu Kyi due to failure on Myanmar’s Rohingya minority issue. This move made Suu Kyi the first person to lose the freedom of the French capital. Due to her inaction on the matter, she had already been stripped of her honorary Canadian citizenship and her Amnesty International’s “Ambassador of Conscience Award”.
- Who was the First Indian,conferred with the Blue Cross, the ISSF’s (International Shooting Sport Federation) highest award at the General Assembly in Munich, on 30thNovember 2018?
1) Deepak Punia
2) Sumit Rawat
3) Rahul Singh
4) Abhinav Bindra
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Abhinav Bindra
On November 30, 2018, India’s Olympic and world champion shooter Abhinav Bindra was conferred the Blue Cross, the ISSF’s highest award at the General Assembly in Munich. He is the first Indian to be awarded the Blue Cross. It was bestowed upon him for his outstanding services as the chairman of the International Shooting Sport Federation’s Athletes Committee. Also the committee has brought out a comprehensive Athletes Handbook, for the benefit of shooters around the world. Bindra was succeeded in the post by the American shooter Kimberly Rhode.
- Padmasree Warrior, Komal Mangtani, Neha Narkhede and _____ are the 4 Indian-origin women named by Forbes among America’s top 50 female technology moguls?
1) Kiran Rao
2) Sunita Sharma
3) Kamakshi Sivaramakrishnan
4) Avni Singh
5) None of theseAnswer –3) Kamakshi Sivaramakrishnan
Four Indian-origin women have been named by Forbes among America’s top 50 female technology moguls, a list that includes tech heavyweights IBM CEO Ginni Rometty and Netflix executive Anne Aaron. Padmasree Warrior, former chief technology officer (CTO) of Cisco, Komal Mangtani, senior director at app-based cab aggregator Uber, Neha Narkhede, chief technology officer and co-founder of streaming platform Confluent and Kamakshi Sivaramakrishnan, CEO and founder of identity-management company Drawbrige are in the list.
- Name the person who took over as the Revenue Secretary in the Finance Ministry, on 30th November 2018?
1) Hasmukh Adhia
2) Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey
3) Dr. Rajinish Kumar
4) Mansoor Ahmed
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey
On 30th November 2018, UIDAI(Unique Identification Authority of India) CEO Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey took over as the Revenue Secretary in the Finance Ministry after Hasmukh Adhia retires. Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey, a 1984-batch IAS officer of Maharashtra cadre with over 34 years of experience in state and Central governments, was welcomed to his new office by the outgoing Finance and Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia.
- Who has become the first woman President of Georgia?
1) Salome Zurabishvili
2) Lynette Brian
3) Susanne Mayer
4) Rufina Thomas
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Salome Zurabishvili
66 Years old Salome Zurabishvili has won Georgia’s presidential election, becoming the first woman to hold the office in the country. She will take oath for the office on 16th December 2018. The French-born ex-diplomat, backed by the ruling Georgian Dream party, had taken 59.52 % of the total votes and defeated her rival candidate Grigol Washadze who received 40.5% of the votes. The election was seen as a test of Georgia’s democratic credentials as it seeks European Union and NATO membership. She had served as Foriegn Minister of Georgia from March 20, 2004 to October 19, 2005 and was previously an ambassador in the French Foreign Service.
- ____ will succeed Paul Polman who will step down as CEO of Unilever, in December 2018?
1) Alan Jope
2) Mark Jeffery
3) Caleb Hudson
4) Andrew Gilbert
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Alan Jope
Unilever’s Chief Executive Paul Polman will step down in December 2018 after ten years in the job. The Anglo-Dutch group was forced to ditch a controversial post-Brexit plan to move its headquarters from London to the Rotterdam, Netherlands. Mr Polman will be succeeded by Alan Jope, the Scottish executive who has been running Unilever’s beauty and personal care business, its biggest division. The new CEO’s agenda will be Unilever’s bid for GlaxoSmithKline’s Indian Horlicks nutrition business, where it is competing against consumer giant Nestle, as well as handling any fallout from a possible no-deal Brexit as Britain is due to leave the EU in March 2019.
- Internet Technology firm LinkSure Network of which country has unveiled a plan to provide free worldwide WiFi service with a constellation of 272 satellites by 2026?
2) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) China
On 29th November 2018, A Chinese Internet Technology firm, LinkSure Network which markets itself as a Global Innovative Mobile Internet Company specializing in free internet access, content and location based services unveiled a plan to provide to provide free worldwide WiFi service with a constellation of 272 satellites by 2026. The Company founded in 2013 in Shanghai will launch its first satellite in 2019 from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in Northwest China’s Gansu province and by 2020 it will launch 10 satellites. The Company will invest 3 Billion Yuan (USD 431.4 million).
- 2018 is the _____ hottest year recorded, as per the report by World Meteorological Organization (WMO), released on 29th November 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Fourth
On 29th November 2018, Days before the beginning of COP24 climate summit in Poland, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has released a report pertaining to present climatic condition of the earth. The global average temperature for the first 10 months of the year was nearly one degree Celsius above the pre-industrial era (1850-1900). The earliest date for which a reliable estimate of temperature covering the whole planet could be made was 1880. 2018 is the fourth hottest year, just behind 2016, 2015 and 2017 in the ranking of the hottest years ever recorded. The 20 warmest years ever measured have been in the past 22 years. There is a 75 to 80 % chance of a moderate El Nino event forming in the next three months, possibly impacting weather patterns in several regions. The forecast El Niño is not expected to be as powerful as the event in 2015-2016, which was linked with droughts, flooding and coral bleaching in different parts of the world.
- Who has become the first woman to win the Greg Norman Medal as the best Australian golfer on the international stage?
1) Minjee Lee
2) Asha Louie
3) Sabrina James
4) Sheena Weinstein
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Minjee Lee
22 Years old Australian Golfer, Minjee Lee became the first woman to win prestigious Greg Norman Medal as the best Australian golfer on the international stage after her brilliant performance in 2018. Minjee Lee who breaks into the Top 10 of the world ranking with the sixth rank joined the Jason Day and Marc Leishman in the list of winners of Australian golf’s prestigious individual honour.
- Which football player claimed the Champions League Record of having the most goals for a club, on 28th November 2018?
1) Lionel Messi
2) Cristiano Ronaldo
4) Mohammed Salah
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Lionel Messi
On 28th November 2018, Barcelona striker Lionel Messi surpassed his long rival Cristiano Ronaldo from Portugal after scoring his 106th Goal against PSV Eindhoven to reclaim the Champions League Record of having the most goals for a club. Portugal star, Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 105 goal playing for Real Madrid and leads the competition’s all time chart with 121 Champion league goals.
- George HW Bush passed away on 1st December 2018. He was the former president of which country?
2) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) United States
On December 1, 2018, the former United States President George HW Bush passed away at 94. He was the 41st president of the United States and had been in leadership during the end of the Cold War.
- Mohammed Aziz passed away on 29th November 2018. What was his profession?
4) Tennis Player
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Singer
On November 29, 2018, bollywood singer Mohammed Aziz passed away at 64. Born in Ashoknagar, West Bengal, he was famous for the evergreen tracks such as “My name is Lakhan”, “Aap ke aa jane se” and “Dil le gayi teri bindiya”. He was a versatile singer who had a prominent presence in Bollywood, Bengali and Odia film industries with a total record of 20,000 songs. He made his film debut with Bengali film, “Jyoti”.
- What was the theme of the 30th World AIDS Day observed on 1st December 2018?
1) Prevention is better than cure
2) Know Your Status
3) Right to health
4) Stop AIDS
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Know Your Status
December 1 is seen as the World AIDS day globally to show support for people living with HIV, and to commemorate those who have died from an AIDS-related illness.It was founded by UN organization World Health Organization (WHO) in 1988 as the first ever global health day. Thus, 2018 marked the 30th anniversary of World AIDS Day. The theme for the 2018 version is “Know Your Status”.
- Armed Forces week is celebrated from December 1 to 7, 2018 in India. When will 70th Armed Forces Flag Day be celebrated in India?
1) December 3
2) December 2
3) December 4
4) December 7
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) December 7
December 1, 2018 marked the start of the Armed Forces week till December 7, 2018 in India. December 7, 2018 will mark the 70th Armed Forces Flag Day in India. The Armed Forces Flag Day was first celebrated in India on 7th of December in the year 1949. This day is commemorated in order to collect the funds from people all around the country for the wellbeing of the staff of the Indian Armed Forces.
- Border Security Force (BSF) of India, along with Pakistan and Bangladesh celebrated its ____ Raising Day, on 1st December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 54th
On December 1, 2018, the Border Security Force, BSF along with Pakistan and Bangladesh celebrated its 54th Raising Day. The main ceremony was celebrated at Chhawla Camp in New Delhi. BSF has been India’s first wall of defence since 1965. The motto of BSF is: Duty Unto Death.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the President and headquarters of Confederation of Indian industry (CII)?President – Rakesh Bharti Mittal; Headquarters – New Delhi
- Where is Intanki National Park located?Nagaland
- Who is the CEO of Unique Identification authority of India (UIDAI)?Dr. Ajay Bhushan Pandey
- What is the capital and currency of Georgia?Capital – Tbilisi; Currency – Georgian lari
- ____ is the Secretary General of World Meteorological Organization (WMO) headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland?Petteri Taalas