AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs December 15 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs December 2018
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Name the head of the 7-member panel constituted by the government to select managing directors of public sector insurance companies, on 13th December 2018?
1) G N Bajpai
2) Mathew Varghese
3) T Bhargava
4) B P Sharma
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) B P Sharma
On 13th December 2018, the government has constituted a seven-member panel to select managing directors of public sector insurance companies. The panel would be headed by Banks Board Bureau (BBB) chairman B P Sharma. The other members of the panel are Financial Services Secretary, Department of Public Enterprises Secretary and Chairman of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India. Three insurance sector experts G N Bajpai, Mathew Varghese and T Bhargava have also been appointed on the selection panel. In 2014 the Modi government had constituted BBB to select managing directors and chairman for public sectors banks after the post of CMDs was bifurcated into two separate positions as non-executive chairman and managing director.
- Indian Coast Guard has launched ‘Operation Oliva’ to ensure safe breeding of Olive Ridley sea turtles in which state?
4) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Odisha
The Indian Coast Guard has launched ‘Operation Oliva’ as part of its annual mission to ensure the safe mid-sea sojourn of breeding Olive Ridley sea turtles in Gahirmatha marine sanctuary area, Devi river mouth, and Rushikulya beach of Odisha. The turtle conservation programme is executed in a joint coordination with the forest department of Odisha to keep watch and vigil on illegal fishing along the turtle concentration zone. As a part of the operation, a fleet of ships and a service aircraft has been pressed into service besides the coast guard has also organised interactive sessions with fishermen communities to sensitise them on the legal embargo on fishing during ridleys’ nesting season. The Coast Guard patrol in turtle congregation sites would remain in force till the marine turtles finish laying eggs on nesting beaches.
- Indian Railways announced commission of 41 projects worth _____ rupees for Kumbh Mela which will be held from 15th January to 4th March 2019 in Allahabad?
1) Rs 700 crore
2) Rs 900 crore
3) Rs 1200 crore
4) Rs 1500 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 700 crore
On December 13, 2018, Indian Railways announced commission of 41 projects worth Rs. 700 crore for Kumbh Mela which will be starting on January 15 till March 4, 2019 in Allahabad. Out of this, 29 projects have already been completed. The railways would run about 800 special trains during the Kumbh Mela from various stations of Allahabad district to the Kumbh Mela. It would also operate 4-5 special trains for transporting five thousand Pravasi Bhartiyas from Allahabad to New Delhi, who will visit Varanasi to participate in the – Pravasi Bhartiya Divas. Additionally, 4 big enclosures have been constructed at the Allahabad Junction Railway Station to house 10 thousand pilgrims.
- Where was the 18th India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC), held on 13th December 2018?
2) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) New Delhi
On December 13, 2018, the 18th India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) was held in New Delhi. The meeting was co-chaired by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and her Russian counterpart General Sergei Shoigu. It was a part of the bilateral Special and Privileged Strategic Partnership between Russia and India.
- Which state has emerged as the largest beneficiary of Ayushman Bharat scheme, with a total of Rs 193.34 crore allotted for the state, till November 2018?
1) Madhya Pradesh
2) Uttar Pradesh
4) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) West Bengal
On December 13, 2018, minister of state for health and family welfare Anupriya Patel announced that West Bengal, Bihar and Chhattisgarh emerged the largest beneficiaries of Ayushman Bharat. Till November 2018, the government had spent Rs 798.34 crore on the scheme, of which:
• West Bengal was allotted a total of Rs 193.34 crore,
• Bihar got an allocation of Rs 188.27 crore, and
• Chhattisgarh Rs 114.43 crore.
- India and _____ signed a revised Inter-Governmental Agreement on restructuring the existing IRIGC-MTC to the IRIGC on Military and Military Technical Cooperation, on 13th December 2018?
1) United States of America
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Russia
On December 13, 2018, the 18th India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) was held in New Delhi. The meeting was co-chaired by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and her Russian counterpart General Sergei Shoigu. It was a part of the bilateral Special and Privileged Strategic Partnership between Russia and India. A revised Inter-Governmental Agreement on restructuring the existing IRIGC-MTC to the IRIGC on Military and Military Technical Cooperation was also signed by the two Ministers.
- The Dam Safety Bill 2018 was introduced in Lok Sabha, on 12th December 2018. The bill was drafted by which ministry?
1) Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation
2) Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
3) Ministry of Science and Technology
4) Ministry of Urban Development
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation
On December 12, 2018, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs and Water Resources Arjun Ram Meghwal introduced the Dam Safety Bill 2018 in Lok Sabha. It was introduced on behalf of the Road and Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari. The bill will be applied to specified dams across all states. The Dam Safety Bill, 2018 was drafted by Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR,RD&GR). The bill aims to provide a robust legal and institutional framework for the safety of dams under Central and state governments.
- Where is the Pratibha Parva programme to nurture talent in school children, organized from 13th to 15thDecember 2018?
3) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Madhya Pradesh
In Madhya Pradesh, Pratibha Parva, a programme to nurture talent in school children is organized in all primary and secondary schools from 13th to 15th December 2018. Around 70 lakh students of more than one lakh government schools are taking part in this congregation of children. The aim of this programme is to assess the skill of students in quality education and strengthening the corrective academic efforts.
- Nepal government banned Indian currency above the denomination of ____ rupees on 14th December 2018?
1) Rs 100
2) Rs 500
3) Rs 200
4) Rs 1000
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 100
On December 14, 2018, the Nepal government banned Indian currency above Rs 100. New Indian note of Rs 2,000, Rs 500 and Rs 200 denominations were banned as the Nepal government has not yet legalised them in the market. The announcement was made by Nepal’s Minister for Information and Communications Gokul Prasad Baskota.
- Japan has selected a Chinese character(Symbol) to define the year 2018. What does the character mean?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Disaster
Japan has selected the Chinese character for ‘disaster’ as its defining symbol for 2018, a year that saw the country hit by deadly floods, earthquakes and storms. At the end of every year, the general public votes for the Chinese character they think embodies the key news and events of the previous 12 months. A total of 20,858 people out of 193,214 chose the character ‘disaster’. The country was hit by a series of natural disasters in 2018.
- India and _____ signed the bilateral annual Haj agreement 2019,at Jeddah,Saudi Arabia on 13th December 2018?
1) United Arab Emirates (UAE)
2) Saudi Arabia
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Saudi Arabia
On 13th December 2018, a bilateral annual Haj agreement 2019 was signed between India and Saudi Arabia by Union Minister for Minority Affairs, Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, and Haj and Umrah Minister of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Dr Mohammad Saleh bin Taher Benten at Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. This year more than 2,100 women have already applied to go to Haj without ‘Mehram’ (male companion) after the Modi Government had lifted ban on women going to Haj without Mehram last year and they had also been exempted from the lottery system. The Haj Committee of India has received more than 2.47 lakh applications next year’s pilgrimage which includes about 47 per cent women. For the first time after the Independence, a record 1,75,025 Muslims from India performed Haj 2018 which include about 48 per cent women and that too without any subsidy.
- Name the country which announced that it will organise a Gita festival in February 2019?
1) Sri Lanka
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mauritius
On 13th December 2018, Mauritius Acting President Paramasivum Pillay Vyapoory announced that Mauritius would organise a Gita festival in February 2019. A delegation from India has also been invited for the event. He made this announcement at the inauguration of a three-day international seminar organised as part of the international Gita festival in Kurukshetra, Haryana.
- Global financial technology company OBOPAY, announced the launch of a new generation pre-payment instrument called OBOPAY Card in partnership with Mastercard and which bank, on 14th December 2018?
1) Axis Bank
2) Canara Bank
3) Federal Bank
4) ICICI Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Federal Bank
On December 14, 2018, OBOPAY, the global financial technology company, announced the launch of a new generation pre-payment instrument called- OBOPAY Card-in partnership with Federal Bank and Mastercard. It is built as a one-stop solution that facilitates easy disbursements and payments by enterprises. The highlights of the card include:
• The multi-wallet facility that allows dedicated payments and allocation of money for various purposes,
• The ‘Split transaction’ feature which provides payment flexibility to users and multiple payment scenarios among many others.
• Card to card money transfer, making online payments, withdrawing cash at ATMs.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) announced that global debt has reached an all-time high of _____ dollars compared to the earlier estimate of USD 182 trillion, on 14th December 2018?
1) USD 184 trillion
2) USD 250 trillion
3) USD 125 trillion
4) USD 375 trillion
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) USD 184 trillion
On December 14, 2018, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) announced that global debt has reached an all-time high of USD 184 trillioncompared to the earlier estimate of USD 182 trillion. According to the statement, more than half of the global debt is being borne by 3 countries- the United States, China and Japan. The updated amount is the equivalent of 225 per cent of the world GDP in 2017. On average, the world’s debt now exceeds USD 86,000 per person — more than 2½ times the average income per-capita.
- Where was India’s first private sector unit for manufacturing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) inaugurated on 14th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Hyderabad
On December 14, 2018, India‘s first private sector unit for manufacturing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) was inaugurated by Telangana’s Home Minister Mohammad Mahmood Ali at Adani Aerospace Park in Hyderabad, Telangana. The 50,000 square feet facility has been built by the Adani Group and Israel-based Elbit Systems. It will develop Hermes 900 medium altitude long-endurance UAVs and Hermes 480 for the Indian and global markets. The Adani Aerospace Park is the first defence and aerospace complex of Adani Group, situated at Hardware Park on the outskirts of Hyderabad.
- Name the e-commerce company that partnered with the Federation of Indian Micro and Small & Medium Enterprises (FISME) to encourage MSMEs to sell products online through e-commerce, on 13th December 2018?
2) Amazon India
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Amazon India
On December 13, 2018, Amazon India partnered with the Federation of Indian Micro and Small & Medium Enterprises (FISME) to encourage MSMEs to sell products online through e-commerce. Amazon.in will collaborate with FISME to conduct various events and workshops across the country to educate MSMEs about:
• Online selling domestically,
• B2C exports to enable them to sell across multiple international locations.
• Areas such as logistics, cataloguing, imaging, taxation,
• Brand building, documentation, listing methodology and services such as Fulfilment by Amazon & Sponsored Ads.
- Which company won the Prime Minister’s Trophy for the ‘Best Performing Integrated Steel Plant’ in India for the performance year 2016-17?
1) Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
2) Tata Steel Limited
3) JSW Steel Limited
4) Essar Steel Limited
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Tata Steel Limited
On 13th December 2018, Tata Steel Limited had been declared as the winner of the Prime Minister’s Trophy for the ‘Best Performing Integrated Steel Plant’ in the country for the performance year 2016-17 making it the fourth consecutive year for Tata Steel being honoured with this coveted award. Along with the trophy a cash award of Rs. 2 crore was also given to the company. Having won the PM’s Trophy 11 times and receiving the Certificate for Excellence twice, Tata Steel has been recognized as the best integrated steel plant 13 times, since the inception of this award in 1992-93. The performance of the plants is judged by a Panel of Judges headed by Secretary (Steel) and with members from eminent technologists, management experts, trade union leaders, economists, consumers of iron & steel according to a scheme drawn up by an expert committee.
- Who won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 23rd International Film Festival of Kerala (IFFK) that concluded in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, on 13th December 2018?
1) Majid Majidi
2) Ram Gopal Verma
3) Sean Austin
4) Lijo Jose Pellissery
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Majid Majidi
On December 13, 2018, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the closing ceremony of the 23rd International Film Festival of Kerala (IFFK) at Nisagandhi Auditorium in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. Around 160 films from around the world were screened at the week-long festival that commenced on December 7, 2018. The winners of the IFFK 2018 awards are as follows:
• Lifetime Achievement Award: Filmmaker Majid Majidi (Iran).
• Suvarna Chakoram for Best Film: The Dark Room.
• Rajata Chakoram for Best Director: Lijo Jose Pellissery for Ee.Maa.Yove
The 24th edition of the IFFK will be held from December 6 to 13, 2019 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Which state has been selected by the Union Ministry of Agriculture for “Krishi Karman” award in the rice category, that will be awarded in February 2019?
1) West Bengal
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Jharkhand
On 13th December 2018, the Union Ministry of Agriculture had selected Jharkhand for “Krishi Karman” award in the rice category. The award which carries a cash prize worth Rs 2 crore and a citation will be given away in February 2019 by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. As a gesture of appreciation to the farmers of the state for achieving the milestone, two progressive farmers, i.e. one male and one female, would also be given ‘Agriculture Minister’s Krishi Karman Award”. Each of the farmers would receive a cash award of Rs 2 lakh along with citation.
- Who was appointed as the new president of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) Society and Chairman of Governing Council, on 13th December 2018?
1) Brijendra Pal Singh
2) Bhupendra Kainthola
3) RS Kannaiha
4) Vinod Chaudhary
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Brijendra Pal Singh
On 13th December 2018, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, appointed Brijendra Pal Singh, the director-producer of popular television series CID as the new president of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) Society and Chairman of Governing Council. Mr B P Singh is currently the vice-chairman of the FTII governing council and was former chairperson of FTII academic council (2014-2017). He succeeds veteran actor Anupam Kher, who had stepped down as the chairman in October citing international commitments. The tenure of Singh will be for the remaining period of block of three years starting from March 3, 2017 as per the provisions of FTII rules.
- _____ was appointed the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Guinea, on 14th December 2018?
1) Manoj Kumar
2) T.C. Barupal
3) Ashutosh Sharma
4) Manish Chandan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) T.C. Barupal
On December 14, 2018, T.C. Barupal was appointed the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Guinea. He is presently Consul General of India, Zanzibar.
- Name the Intelligence Bureau Director who received an extension of tenure for six months, on 14th December 2018?
1) Rajiv Jain
2) PK Singh
3) RK Malhotra
4) Anuj Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rajiv Jain
On December 14, 2018, Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the extension of tenure of Intelligence Bureau Director Rajiv Jain for 6 months. Jain, a 1980-batch IPS officer from Jharkhand, was appointed IB Director on December 30, 2016 for a period of two years. He is a recipient of the President’s Police Medal and had served various departments of the IB, including the sensitive Kashmir Desk. He also was advisor to the previous NDA government’s interlocutor on Kashmir K C Pant.
- Who was re-designated from Advisor to Principal Advisor in NITI Aayog, on 14th December 2018?
1) Suresh Mathur
2) Jitendra Singh
3) Anil Srivastava
4) Roopan Mehta
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Anil Srivastava
On December 14, 2018, On December 14, 2018, Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the re-designation of Shri Anil Srivastava from Advisor to Principal Advisor in NITI Aayog. He is a 1985 IAS from the Madhya Pradesh care who is currently an Advisor, NITI Aayog.
- Chief of Research and Analysis Wing _____ received an extension of tenure for six months, on 14th December 2018?
1) Anil K Dhasmana
2) P Madhavan Nair
3) Anjali Menon
4) Suvarna Raj
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Anil K Dhasmana
On December 14, 2018, On December 14, 2018, Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the following: The chief of Intelligence Bureau Rajiv Jain and chief of Research and Analysis Wing Anil K Dhasmana got extensions of six months each. Dhasmana is a 1981-batch officer from the Madhya Pradesh cadre and had served the R&AW for 23 years.
- Who was named the first woman CEO of the French unit of Air France-KLM Group, on 12th December 2018?
1) Anne Rigail
2) Lynette Scavo
3) Edie Regan
4) Susan Mayer
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Anne Rigail
On 12th November 2018, the French unit of Air France-KLM Group named Anne Rigail as its new CEO, making her the first woman to lead the airline. The 49-year-old, who is currently Executive Vice President (Customer) at Air France, will replace acting CEO Benjamin Smith.
- NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft has found evidence of water on which asteroid?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bennu
On 12th December 2018,NASA’s (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft has found evidence of water on asteroid Bennu.Data obtained from the spacecraft’s two spectrometers OSIRIS-REx Thermal Emission Spectrometer (OTES) and OSIRIS-REx Visible and Infrared Spectrometer (OVIRS) reveal the presence of molecules that contain oxygen and hydrogen atoms bonded together, known as “hydroxyls.” Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft launched in September 2016.It had reached Bennu asteroid in December 2018. Samples will returned to Earth in 2023. Bennu is near-Earth carbonaceous asteroid about the size of a small mountain in the Apollo group. It was discovered in September 1999 by the LINEAR Project.
- Name the new human protein discovered by researchers to fight the Ebola virus?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) RBBP6
Researchers have discovered a human protein that helps fight the Ebola virus, and could one day lead to an effective therapy against the deadly disease. The newly discovered ability of the human protein RBBP6 to interfere with Ebola virus replication suggests new ways to fight the infection, according to the study published in the journal Cell.
- Where was the 21st Usha National Athletics Sports Championship for the Blind that concluded on 13th December 2018?
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) New Delhi
On 13th December 2018, the 21st Usha National Athletics Sports Championship for the Blind concluded in New Delhi in the presence of champion boxer Vijender Singh.The Four day Championship inaugurated on 10th December,2018.The championship witnessed six new national records in javelin, long jump, discuss, 100m race and shotput and three new meet records in 100 meet race, javelin and shotput. Radhika Bharat Ram is chairperson of India Blind Sports Association.
- Cricket Australia (CA) and the Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) announced that it is rebranding its Allan Border Medal to ____ from 2019 onwards?
1) Australian Cricket Awards
2) International Cricket Awards
3) Annual Cricket Awards
4) Allan Cricket Awards
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Australian Cricket Awards
On 13th December 2018, Cricket Australia (CA) and the Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) announced to rebrand its Allan Border Medal to Australian Cricket Awards from 2019 onwards. This is due to the increase in recognition of women’s cricket and the popularity of the T20 format. The event is held on an annual basis to celebrate the performances of Australian players across national and domestic cricket. The 2019 Australian Cricket Awards is slated to be held on February 11 at The Crown Palladium, Melbourne.
- Nancy Wilson passed away on 14th December 2018 in California, United States. What was her profession?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Singer
On 14th December 2018, Nancy Wilson (81), three times Grammy award winner jazz singer who called herself a “song-stylist” has died after a long illness at her home in Pioneertown, a California, United States. Nancy Wilson was best known for songs “Guess Who I Saw Today” and the 1964 hit “(You Don’t Know) How Glad I Am”. She made her debut with her 1961’s single, “Guess Who I Saw Today.” She would win two more Grammy Awards, in 2005 and 2007. She retired from live performances in 2011.
- Sondra Locke, died in Los Angeles, United States, in November 2018. She was a _____?
2) Social Activist
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Actress
November 2018, Sondra Locke, the Oscar-nominated Hollywood actress died at 74, in Los Angeles, United States. She received the Oscar award on her first appearance in the industry in the 1968 film ‘The Heart is a Lonely Hunter’.
- Thoppil Ajayan, passed away, on 13th December 2018. What was his occupation?
3) Film Director
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Film Director
On December 13, 2018, National award winning Malayalam film director Thoppil Ajayan, passed away at 66. His film “Perumthachan” (The Master Carpenter), fetched Ajayan the Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film of a Director and Kerala State Film Award for Best Debut Director in 1990. He had also won the Kerala State Film Award for Best Popular Film in 1990 and was nominated for the Golden Leopard award at the Locarno International Film Festival in 1992. He was the eldest son of legendary playwright and writer Thoppil Bhasi.
- When was National Energy Conservation Day 2018 celebrated throughout India?
1) December 12
2) December 14
3) December 9
4) December 11
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) December 14
On 14th December 2018, National Energy Conservation Day 2018 was celebrated throughout the country under the aegis of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), under Ministry of Power. The objective to celebrate the National Energy Conservation Day is to drive mass awareness about the importance of energy efficiency and conservation. National Energy Conservation Day’ was celebrated for the first time on December 14, 1991 when the National Energy Conservation Awards were given away to industries for reducing energy consumption. The annual awards recognize innovation and achievements in energy conservation by the industries, buildings, zonal railways, state designated agencies; manufacturers of BEE star labeled appliances, electricity distribution companies and municipalities.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Chairperson of India Blind Sports Association is ____?Radhika Bharat Ram
- What is the tagline of Federal Bank?Your Perfect Banking Partner
- Where is Gahirmatha marine sanctuary located?Odisha
- Name the CEO and Managing Director of Tata Steel?T. V. Narendran
- What is the capital and currency of Guinea?Capital – Conakry; Currency – Guinean franc