AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs December 12 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs December 2018
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has announced the rise in contribution of the government in National Pension Scheme (NPS) to ____ % from existing 10 %, burdening the government by Rs 2,840 crore for 2019-20?
1) 15 %
2) 16 %
3) 14 %
4) 12 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 14 %
On December 10, 2018, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced the rise in contribution of the government in National Pension Scheme (NPS) to 14 per cent from existing 10 per cent, burdening the government by Rs 2,840 crore for 2019-20. The change in contribution was recommended by Committee of Secretaries (CoS), thus resulting in a total corpus of 24% from the previous 20%.Out of the 24%, 14 per cent would be contributed by the government and the remaining 10 per cent by the employees. Furthermore, he also made entire withdrawal amount tax free at the time of retirement by enhancing the tax exemption limit for lump sum withdrawal on exit to 60%.At present, 40 per cent of the total accumulated corpus utilised for purchase of annuity is already tax exempted, and of 60 per cent of the accumulated corpus withdrawn by the NPS subscriber at the time of retirement, 40 per cent is tax exempt and balance 20 per cent is taxable. This would benefit 18 lakh employees.
- Where was the Regional Conference on ‘Good Governance – Focus on Aspirational Districts’ held on 10th and 11thDecember 2018?
1) Bengaluru, Karnataka
2) Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
3) Pune, Maharashtra
4) Hyderabad, Telangana
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
On December 11, 2018, a 2-day Regional Conference on ‘Good Governance – Focus on Aspirational Districts’ concluded at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. It started on December 10, 2018 and was inaugurated by the Governor of Kerala Shri Justice (Retd.) P. Sathasivam. It was organized by: The Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG), Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Government of India and Government of Kerala. This conference was aimed at providing a common platform for formulation and implementation of best practices in citizen centric governance.
- Which state/union territory government launched a 10-day special inspection drive named “Operation Minimum Wage” on 10th December 2018, to check implementation of minimum wage rules?
4) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Delhi
On December 10, 2018, the Delhi government launched a 10-day special inspection drive named- “Operation Minimum Wage”, to check implementation of minimum wage rules it had set. The operation will continue till December 21, 2018. The violation would be checked as per the Minimum Wages Act, 2017 and as per the act, the labourers can lodge a complaint by calling 155214. As per the Act, the punishment for not paying minimum wages can be Rs. 50,000 fine or a jail term for three years or both.
- Lepa Rada became _____ district of Arunachal Pradesh, on 11th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 24th
On 11th December 2018, Arunachal Pradesh gets its 24th district – Lepa Rada, a day after Shi Yomi became a new district. Lepa Rada is carved out of the Lower Siang district, comprising four administrative circles – Tirbin, Dari, Sago and Basar. Basar will be headquarters of Lepa Rada. The state assembly on 29th August 2018 had passed a bill for creation of three new districts – Pakke-Kesang, Lepa Rada and Shi Yomi – in the state.
- Where was the first International Conference, on the theme- ‘Sustainable Water Management’, held on 10th and 11th December 2018?
1) Rohtak, Haryana
2) Dehradun, Uttarakhand
3) Mohali, Punjab
4) Kochi, Kerala
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mohali, Punjab
On December 10, 2018, the 2- day first International Conference, on the theme- ‘Sustainable Water Management’, commenced at Indian School of Business (ISB), Mohali in Punjab. It concluded on December 11, 2018. It was organized under National Hydrology Project, Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation by Bhakra Beas Management Board (BBMB). In the conference, Governor of Himachal Pradesh, Acharya Devvrat was the Chief Guest and Shri U.P. Singh, Secretary, Government of India, Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation was the Guest of Honour. A CD of documentary entitled ‘Bhakra Beas Nation’s Pride’ on BBMB was also released on the occasion. Countries like Australia, United Kingdom, USA, Spain, Netherlands, Republic of Korea, Canada, Germany, Sri Lanka etc. took part in the two-day conference.
- Which country became the 38th member of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), an international body to combat money laundering, terrorist financing etc., on 10th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Israel
On 10th December 2018, Israel became a full member of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), an international body set up to combat money laundering, terrorist financing and other threats to the international financial system. Earlier in 2000 the Jewish state was blacklisted by the organization and was removed from the list in 2002, but now has become the group’s 38th member. A FATF compliance report on Israel ranked the country as one of three leading states, alongside the US and the UK, for the effectiveness of its anti-money laundering apparatus, its battle against terror financing, the work of its Money Laundering and Terror Financing Prohibition Authority, and its policy of seizing the financial proceeds of crime. The FATF membership will tag Israel as an attractive country for international investment and improve the status of the Israeli financial sector and its ability to operate in the global economy.
- The 14-day 7th Sino-India joint exercise Hand-in-Hand 2018,between India and China commenced at ____, on 10th December 2018?
1) Arunachal Pradesh, India
2) Chengdu, China
3) Wuhan, China
4) Sikkim, China
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Chengdu, China
On December 10, 2018, the 14-day 7th Sino-India joint exercise Hand-in-Hand 2018, commenced at Chengdu, China. It will conclude on December 23, 2018. The Indian contingent consists of 11 SHIKKLI led by Col Puneet Pratap Singh Tomar, Commanding Officer, 11 SIKHLI. The Chienese contingent consists of a regiment from Tibetan Military District of People’s Liberation Army (PLA) led by Col Zhou Jun. Major General Kuang Dewang, senior representative of joint training from PLA. The aim of the exercise is to build and promote close relations between armies of both the countries. The exercise will involve tactical level operations in an international counter insurgency/ counter terrorism environment under UN mandate.
- Jana Small Finance Bank launched Jana Bankable Debit Card in association with which entity, on 11th December 2018?
1) Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
2) Hockey India (HI)
3) Indian Olympics Association (IOA)
4) Badminton Association of India (BAI)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
On 11th December 2018 Jana Small Finance Bank in association with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has launched Jana Bankable Debit Card. This card is designed for cricket fans who like deals and offers on online shopping, gym membership, health & wellness products, food delivery, music and travel on top brands like Snap Fitness, Snapdeal, Gaana.com, IXIGO, Myntra, Crocs, Puma and GrowFit. The card comes with images of the top Indian cricketers – Virat Kohli, MS Dhoni, Shikhar Dhawan and Hardik Pandya. The Jana Small Finance Bank is the official sponsor of BCCI for all the cricket matches that are played in India. To grab the business, the bank is also offering interest rate of 8.5% and 9.1% for senior citizens on fixed deposit on tenor of 181 days to 5 years besides, offering 9% interest rate on Fixed Deposit with no premature withdrawal on a tenor of more than one year and up to 3 years.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposed a fine amounting to ____ rupees on Indian Bank for violating cyber security norms, on 11th December 2018?
1) Rs 2 crore
2) Rs 5 crore
3) Rs 3 crore
4) Rs 1 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Rs 1 crore
On December 11, 2018, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposed a fine amounting to Rs. 1 crore on Indian Bank for violating cyber security norms. The Indian Bank had contravened the Circular on Cyber Security Framework in banks due to which it had to face the penalty. It is with regard to RBI’s directions on Frauds- Classification and Reporting by Commercial Banks. The penalty was imposed under the provision of Banking Regulations Act 1949.
- Government of India and which bank signed a loan agreement of 31 million dollars to develop Tourism and boost Jobs in Tamil Nadu, on 11th December 2018?
1) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
2) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
3) World Bank
4) European Investment Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
On December 11, 2018, Government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a loan agreement of 31 million dollars in New Delhi to develop Tourism and boost Jobs in Tamil Nadu. It was signed by: Additional Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Sameer Kumar Khare and Mr. Kenichi Yokoyama, Country Director for ADB in India. This was a tranche 4 loan for Infrastructure Development Investment Program for Tourism (IDIPT) for Tamil Nadu. The total cost of the project is $44.04 million, of which the Government will provide $13.04 million. The estimated completion date of the project is June 2020.
- The number of countries with strong policy frameworks for sustainable energy increased from 17 to ____ in the eight years till 2017, according to ‘Regulatory Indicators for Sustainable Energy (RISE) 2018 report’ released by World Bank?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 59
On 10th December 2018, the World Bank released a report named Regulatory Indicators for Sustainable Energy (RISE) 2018.The report was released on the sidelines of the 24th Conference of the Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP24). The number of countries with strong policy frameworks for sustainable energy more than tripled — from 17 to 59 — in the eight years till 2017. RISE 2018 charts global progress on sustainable energy policies and shows that policies matter – they are a leading indicator and building block of the world’s transition to sustainable energy. RISE 2018 rates 133 countries from 2010-17 on electricity access, renewable energy, energy efficiency and access to clean cooking to provide useful data to policymakers and help the private sector make informed decisions about investing in energy projects.
- Who became the first-ever recipient of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Coach of the Year Award, on 11thDecember 2018?
1) Sascha Bajin
2) Petra Kvitora
3) Bethani Mattek-Sands
4) Ashley Peterson
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Sascha Bajin
On December 11, 2018, Sascha Bajin, coach of the world number five Naomi Osaka, became the first-ever recipient of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Coach of the Year Award. Under his guidance, Osaka won her career first WTA title at the Paribas Open (Indian Wells) and claimed her maiden Grand Slam title at the US Open after defeating American tennis ace Serena Williams. He also served as a Gold Member of the newly implemented WTA Coach Program.
- Which basketball team was named the 2018 Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year, at the Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year Awards Show in Los Angeles, United States, on 11th December 2018?
1) Golden State Warriors
2) Los Angeles Lakers
3) Boston Celtics
4) Toronto Raptors
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Golden State Warriors
NBA (National Basketball Association) champion Golden State Warriors have been named the 2018 Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year. The team was honored at the Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year Awards Show in Los Angeles on December 11 2018. Golden State is the fourth team ever to receive the prestigious honor joining the U.S. Men’s Olympic Hockey Team (1980), the U.S. Women’s Soccer team (1999) and the Boston Red Sox (2004).
- Name the Indian Railway employee who has been conferred the Sahitya Akademi Award 2018 for his novel “Marom” in Santhali language?
1) Anuj Kumar
2) Shyam Sundar Besra
3) Sajin Vohra
4) Ram Nath Bhalla
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Shyam Sundar Besra
Shri Shyam Sundar Besra, Chief Inspector of Ticket working in Asansol Division of Eastern Railway has been conferred the coveted Sahitya Akademi Award 2018. He has been awarded for his novel “Marom” in Santhali language which is primarily based upon natural, social, economic and political conditions of Santhal Pargana. The novel highlights the situation emerged after the two main industrial development of the Santhal area after Independence i.e Masanjore Dam at Dumka and Railway locomotive workshop at Chittaranjan.
- _____ was appointed as the new Chairman of Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) India, on 10th December 2018?
1) Amrita Rao
2) Arundhati Bhattacharya
3) Rujuta Singh
4) Shivkumar Shukla
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Arundhati Bhattacharya
On December 10, 2018, Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) India appointed former SBI chief Arundhati Bhattacharya as the new Chairman of its board. She will succeed former banker M. V. Nair who will step down after the completion of his 5-year tenure. Earlier in October 2018, Arundhati Bhattacharya was designated as an independent additional director on the board of Mukesh Ambani-controlled Reliance Industries Ltd. She also had been elected as an advisor in the private equity firm ChrysCapital Advisors.
- Who resigned from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Economic Advisory Council (PMEAC), on 11th December 2018?
1) K Veermani
2) Surjit Bhalla
3) Shaktikanta Das
4) Bibek Debroy
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Surjit Bhalla
On December 11, 2018, Indian economist Surjit Bhalla announced his resigned from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Economic Advisory Council (PMEAC). His resignation is effective from December 1, 2018. After the resignation, he joined the CNN IBN group. Also he released a book called Citizen Raj: Indian Elections 1952-2019, focusing on Indian elections since 1952.
- Which Indian power station created a world record for the longest uninterrupted operation for 941 days, on 10thDecember 2018?
1) Bokaro Power Station-1, Jharkhand
2) Kaiga Power Station-1, Karnataka
3) Durgapur Power Station-2, West Bengal
4) Barauni Power Station-2, Bihar
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Kaiga Power Station-1, Karnataka
On 10th December 2018, Karnataka’s Kaiga Power Station-1 has created a world record for the longest uninterrupted operation for 941 days, thereby breaking the earlier record of 940 days by the United Kingdom. Heysham-2 Unit-8 of the U.K. had held the earlier record of the longest uninterrupted operation (940 days) among all nuclear power reactors (of all technologies) in the world. Kaiga Generating Station (KGS-1) equalled the world record on Sunday and broke it on Monday, thus creating history. While KGS-1 is a Pressurised Heavy Water Reactor (PHWR), Heysham-2 Unit-8 is an Advanced Gas Cooled Reactor (AGR).
- Name NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)’s probe that became the second human-made object in history to reach the edge of our solar system, on 10th December 2018?
1) Voyager 2
2) Soyus 3
3) Galaxy 2
4) Star Rider 2
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Voyager 2
On 10th December 2018, NASA’s Voyager 2 probe became the second human-made object in history to reach the edge of our solar system i.e., the Interstellar space- the space between the stars. Voyager 2 probe now has exited the heliosphere – the protective bubble of particles and magnetic fields created by the Sun. Its twin, Voyager 1, crossed this boundary in 2012, but Voyager 2 launched 41 years ago in 1977, carries a working instrument that will provide first-of-its-kind observations of the nature of this gateway into interstellar space. Voyager 2 now is slightly more than 18 billion kilometres away from the Earth. Voyager 2 is the only spacecraft to have visited all four gas giant planets — Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune and discovered 16 moons, as well as phenomena like Neptune’s mysteriously transient Great Dark Spot, the cracks in Europa’s ice shell, and ring features at every planet.
- Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Radha Mohan Singh launched the portal ENSURE- National Livestock Mission-EDEG. This portal has been developed by which entity?
1) National Informatics Centre (NIC)
2) NITI Aayog
3) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
4) Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
On 11th December 2018, Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Shri Radha Mohan Singh launched a portal ENSURE- National Livestock Mission-EDEG developed by National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) and operated under the Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries. Under the National Livestock Mission’s component called Entrepreneurship Development and Employment Generation (EDEG), subsidy payment for activities related to poultry, small ruminants, pigs, etc. goes directly to the beneficiary’s account through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT). The NABARD has developed an online portal “ENSURE” (https://ensure.nabard.org), in order to make the process of DBT better, simpler and transparent, so that the information related to beneficiary and processing of application can be made readily available.
- Where was Nishidhi stone inscription from the 12th century, issued to commemorate Jain ascetics who perform Sallekhana vratha, found?
1) Pelling, Sikkim
2) Udaipur, Rajasthan
3) Shivamogga, Karnataka
4) Namakkal, Tamil Nadu
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Shivamogga, Karnataka
A Nishidhi stone inscription from the 12th century was found at Nandi Basaveshwara temple in Harakere village in Shivamogga district, Karnataka. The Nishidhi stone inscriptions are issued to commemorate Jain ascetics who perform Sallekhana vratha and inscription found here proves that there was a strong influence of Jainism in the region. R. Shejeshwara, Assistant Director, Department of Archeology, Heritage and Museums, and Jagadeesh, historian, discovered the inscription during a field work undertaken in Harakere. The inscription is of 60 cm long and 15 cm wide and is chiselled from a schist rock slab.
- CN Balakrishnan passed away in Kochi, Kerala, on 11th December 2018. He was a _____?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Politician
On December 11, 2018, Senior Congress leader and former Kerala minister CN Balakrishnan passed away at 87 in Kochi, Kerala. He was the Thrissur district Congress committee president for 17 years and the state unit treasurer. In 2011, he became the state Cooperation Minister in the Oommen Chandy cabinet.
- Name the author of the book ‘Of Counsel: The Challenges of the Modi-Jaitley Economy’ that was launched in Mumbai, on 9th December 2018?
1) Rajini Pallikal
2) Arvind Subramanian
3) Veena JaiSingh
4) Rishab Mehta
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Arvind Subramanian
On 9th December 2018, the book, ‘Of Counsel: The Challenges of the Modi-Jaitley Economy’ written by former chief economic adviser Arvind Subramanian was launched in Mumbai. In the book Subramanian has provided with an inside account of his rollercoaster journey as the CEA from 2014 to 2018, succeeding Raghuram Rajan as captain of the ship. Subramanian also opened up about his tenure, which saw the controversial demonetisation of high-value currency notes and the introduction of the Goods and Services Tax (GST). He has criticized demonetization as a massive, draconian, monetary shock that accelerated the economic slide.
- When did UNICEF (United Nations International Children Emergency Fund) celebrate its 71st foundation day?
1) December 9
2) December 10
3) December 11
4) December 12
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) December 11
On 11th December 2018, UNICEF (United Nations International Children Emergency Fund) Headquartered in New York celebrated its 71st foundation day. On 11 December 1946, UNICEF was created by United Nations General Assembly to provide long-standing charitable and developmental support to children and mothers in evolving countries.
- What was the theme of the International Mountain Day 2018 celebrated on 11th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) #MountainsMatter
December 11 is observed as International Mountain Day. Theme for the 2018 edition of the International Mountain Day is: “#MountainsMatter”. It is celebrated by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) to spread awareness about the contribution of mountains in the biodiversity as it consists of approximately a quarter of the terrestrial biological diversity. Also to commemorate the day, there will be an IMD side event on “Mountain adaptation: Vulnerable peaks and people” at UNFCCC COP24 in Katowice, Poland.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Periyar National Park located?Kerala
- Name the President and headquarters of Financial Action Task Force (FATF)?President – Marshall Billingslea; Headquarters – Paris, France
- What is the tagline of Jana Small Finance Bank?Likho Apni Kahaani
- CEO of Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) India is ____?Kiran Shetty
- Who is the MD and CEO of Indian Bank, headquartered in Chennai?Ms. Padmaja Chunduru