AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 30 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Which Union Ministry has launched Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARRIA) to promote innovation and research in higher education?
1) Union Ministry of Science and Technology
2) Union Ministry of Human Resource Development
3) Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry
4) Union Ministry of Urban Development
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Union Ministry of Human Resource Development
On August 31, 2018, the Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar announced the introduction of Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARRIA), an initiative of the union ministry to promote innovation. This has been established at the premises of All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) in New Delhi. It aims to promote a culture of innovation and research in higher education. It will rank educational institutions for innovation output based on all major indicators and parameters used globally. It would encourage every college to have an innovation cell.
- Union Ministry for Environment, Forest and Climate Change has launched National Reducing Emission from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) plus strategy. Who is the chairperson of National Governing Council of REDD+?
1) Manoj Sinha
2) Dr. Harsh Vardhan
3) Subhatra Mohan
4) Sharmila Kishore
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Dr. Harsh Vardhan
On August 31, 2018, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan introduced the ‘National REDD+ Strategy India’ for the implementation of the REDD+ strategy. This has been constituted in line with India’s National Action Plan on Climate Change, Green India Mission and India’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) to UNFCCC.
Under the strategy following are to be established:
• A National Governing Councilof REDD+ chaired by the Union Environment Minister at the national level and
• 2 technical committees, headed by DG, Forest Survey of India and DG, ICFRE.
- IWAI has made public 13 standardised advanced ship designs suitable for large barge haulage on river Ganga (National Waterway-1). What does “I” represent in IWAI?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Inland
IWAI – Inland Waterways Authority of India
On 31st August 2018, Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) made public 13 standardised advanced ship designs suitable for large barge haulage on river Ganga (National Waterway-1). The Government is implementing Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP) for capacity enhancement of navigation on NW-1 (Varanasi-Haldia stretch) at a cost of Rs 5369.18 crore. Technical assistance and investment support is provided by the World Bank. The new designs will help shipyards build vessels of standardised dimensions and capacity, and will lead to reduced fuel costs and lesser logistics costs. It will bring in savings of Rs 30-50 lakhs in building of a vessel. It will also eliminate the dependence on foreign ship designs for Inland Water Transport (IWT) and contribute to ‘Make in India’.
- Name the Union MSME Minister who announced the launch of ‘One District One Product’ scheme in Odisha, on 31st August 2018?
1) Rajnath Singh
2) Jual Oram
3) Narendra Singh Tomar
4) Giriraj Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Giriraj Singh
On August 31, 2018, Union MSME Minister Giriraj Singh announced the launch of ‘One District One Product’ scheme in Odisha at a function of the SC-ST State Conclave cum Exhibition under National SC-ST Hub. Under this scheme, the Union MSME secretary Arun Panda will be conducting a survey of the potential of the MSME sector. This survey will be conducted in the following sectors: aromatic, agro, marine food processing, organic food marketing, turmeric and ginger processing and other section.
- National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC) signed how many MoUs to enhance technology adoption in MSMEs (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) to enhance skills of youths in Odisha, on 30th August 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 3
The 3 MoUs are as follows:
• NSIC signed a MoU with SAP India Pvt Ltd:to utilise the network of NSIC Technical Services Centres and other institutions under its administrative control to develop a future-ready workforce through training on ‘Business One’ software.
• NSIC signed a MoU with Rourkela Steel Plantand National Scheduled Tribe Finance Development Corporation (NSTFDC): to establish a livelihood business incubator at Rourkela to improve self-employment potential of tribal youths.
• NSIC signed a MoU with Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI): to offer financial support to village-level entrepreneurs.
- How many new districts have been created in Arunachal Pradesh by passing the Arunachal Pradesh Re-Organisation of Districts (Amendment) Bill 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 3
On August 31, 2018, the Arunachal Pradesh Assembly passed a bill for the creation of three new districts namely- Pakke-Kesang, Lepa Rada and Shi Yomi, in the state. The name of the bill is the Arunachal Pradesh Re-Organisation of Districts (Amendment) Bill 2018. Now Arunachal Pradesh would have 25 districts in total after the addition of these 3 districts from earlier 22. Creation of these districts were necessary to meet the growing demands of the people and bring administration to everyone.
- Name the module launched in Punjab to facilitate online property transactions that has been provided by Punjab Urban Planning and Development Authority (PUDA)?
2) PUDA e-transfer
3) PUDA properties
4) PUDA e-site
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) PUDA360
On August 31, 2018, Punjab chief minister Amarinder Singh launched PUDA360 module to facilitate online property transactions. The facility has been provided by Punjab Urban Planning and Development Authority (PUDA). It would offer the following services:
• Give a common platform to the promoters/ builders for advertisement,
• Checking of delays in sanction of building plans,
• Issuance of no objection certificate,
• Issuance of conveyance deed and transfer of property,
• Facility of selling, renting and leasing out their properties.
- Which state government obtained extension under Section 3 Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (AFSPA) for another 6 months declaring the entire state as ‘Disturbed Area’, on 31st August 2018?
1) Arunachal Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Assam
On August 31, 2018, the state government of Assam sought extension under Section 3 Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (AFSPA) for another 6 months declaring entire state as ‘Disturbed Area’. This Act will be in continuation till the National Register of Citizen (NRC) is updated. The final draft NRC is likely to be published by end of 2018. In September 2017, Union Home Ministry had delegated to Assam and Manipur Governors power to impose or withdraw AFSPA.
- Where was the first South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Agri Cooperative Business Forum held from on August 28-30, 2018?
1) Beijing, China
2) Kathmandu, Nepal
3) New Delhi, India
4) Kuala Lampur, Malaysia
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Kathmandu, Nepal
From August 28-30, 2018, the 3 day first South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Agri Cooperative Business Forum was held in Kathmandu, Nepal. The theme of three-day Forum is the ‘Organizing and Strengthening Family Farmers’ Cooperatives to attain the Sustainable-Development-Goals-1 and 2 in South Asia’. It was organized by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of United Nations and Asian Farmers’ Association with the support from International Fund for Agricultural Development. Dignitaries present were: representatives both from the government and non-governmental entities from the Member States of SAARC and regional and international organizations.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) approved a financing package worth _____ million to three districts of West Bengal, on 31st August 2018?
1) $200 million
2) $245 million
3) $275 million
4) $300 million
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) $245 million
On August 31, 2018, the Board of Directors of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a financing package totaling $245 million to three districts of West Bengal state. It aims to provide safe, sustainable, and inclusive drinking water service. The total project cost is $349 million.
- National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) report for 2018-19, has predicted India’s growth for the current fiscal (FY19) as what per cent?
1) 7.5 %
2) 7.4 %
3) 7.6 %
4) 7.7 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 7.4 %
On August 31, 2018, according to National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) report for 2018-19, India’s growth forecast for the current fiscal is at 7.4 per cent. The reasons cited for this are: Good agriculture due to rainfall and prices and, Improvement in the external sector.
- Several Indian IT firms have joined the Call for Code initiative to develop global solutions for disaster management. Which is the founding member of the initiative?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) IBM
IBM, Persistent Systems, Invest India, Wipro, Capgemini and Nasscom have joined the ‘Call for Code’ Global Initiative to involve startups, academic and developers to respond to and recover from natural disasters. Call for Code was announced in May 2018. IBM is the founding member along with American Red Cross and United Nations Human Rights Organisation. IBM has also joined hands with David Clark Cause, a global leader in creating cause brands and initiatives, for Call for Code. IBM will offer access to cloud, data, AI (Artificial Intelligence), blockchain technologies, training and code to developers.
- Indian Railways signed a MoU with which firm for supply of Natural Gas to Indian Railways Workshops, Production Units and Depots at Rail Bhavan in New Delhi, on 31st August 2018?
1) GAIL (India) Limited
2) IOCL India Ltd
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) GAIL (India) Limited
On August 31, 2018, Indian Railways has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with M/s GAIL (India) Limited, for supply of Natural Gas to Indian Railways Workshops, Production Units and Depots at Rail Bhavan in New Delhi. To replace Industrial gases like Dissolved Acetylene, LPG, BMCG and Furnace Oil / High Speed Diesel (HSD) oil with environment friendly Natural Gas.
- Which football player was named UEFA Player of the Year 2018 on 31st August 2018?
1) Keylor Navas
2) Sergio Ramos
3) Luka Modric
4) Christiano Ronaldo
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Luka Modric
On August 31, 2018, in the UEFA Awards, Croatia captain Luka Modric was voted the best player in Europe. He also won the Midfielder of the Season. Real Madrid was named the best player in last season’s Champions League. The best women’s player award was won by Pernille Harder of Denmark and Wolfsburg. Best goalkeeper of the season was: Keylor Navas. Best defender of the season was: Sergio Ramos. Ronaldo won the Forward of the Season. 2018 UEFA President’s Award was given to David Beckham, Johan Cruyff, Franz Beckenbauer, Eusebio and Sir Bobby Charlton.
- Who was reappointed as a director on the board of ICICI Securities, on 31st August 2018?
1) Shikha Sharma
2) Sandeep Bakshi
3) Chanda Kochhar
4) Radhakrishnan Nair
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Chanda Kochhar
On August 31, 2018, ICICI Bank reappointed Chanda Kochhar as a director on the board of ICICI Securities. Earlier, Kochhar was charged with quid pro quo in disbursing loans to Venugopal Dhoot-led Videocon Group. One-man panel constituting retired Supreme Court judge Justice BN Srikrishna is probing the matter.
- Idea Cellular and Vodafone have merged their India operations and the merged entity is named Vodafone Idea LTd. Who is the CEO of Vodafone Idea LTd?
1) Balesh Sharma
2) Himanshu Singh
3) Kumar Mangalam Birla
4) Prathik Pandey
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Balesh Sharma
On August 31, 2018, Idea Cellular and Vodafone completed their merger of India operations. This deal is valued at roughly a $23 billion (roughly Rs. 1.6 lakh crores). The name of the merged entity is: Vodafone Idea LTd. It is the country’s largest telecom operator by subscribers and revenue. The combined entity will have a revenue share of about 40 percent in the market and a total customer base of around 408 million.
- Which cricketer became the second-fastest Indian to score 6,000 runs in Test cricket, on 31st August 2018?
1) Shikhar Dhawan
2) Virat Kohli
3) Rohit Sharma
4) MS Dhoni
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Virat Kohli
On 31st August 2018, Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli became the second-fastest Indian to score 6,000 runs in Test cricket. Virat Kohli has achieved this feat in his 119th Test. The fastest Indian to reach the 6,000-run mark was Sunil Gavaskar, who made it in 117 innings. Virat Kohli has surpassed Sachin Tendulkar (120 innings), Virender Sehwag (121 innings) and Rahul Dravid (125 innings).
- Who has become the first Indian boxer to win 3 medals in the Asian Games, after winning bronze in men’s middle 75 kg boxing event, at Asian Games 2018 in Indonesia?
1) Manjit Singh
2) Sushil Kumar
3) Vikas Krishan
4) Ravi Thapar
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Vikas Krishan
Vikas Krishan pulled ou8t of the semi-final of the men’s middle 75 kg boxing event, following an eye injury. Hence he received a bronze medal. He became the first Indian boxer to win 3 medals in the Asian Games. He had won gold medal in the 60 kg category in 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou and bronze medal in middleweight category at 2014 Asian Games in Incheon.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport has been renamed as Chhatrapati Shivaji ‘Maharaj’ International Airport. Where is this airport located?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Mumbai
Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport has been rechristened as Chhatrapati Shivaji ‘Maharaj’ International Airport. The Maharashtra government decided to insert the word ‘Maharaj’ to the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport and the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus as it felt the Maratha warrior king deserved to be paid more respect. A proposal was passed in the Assembly and forwarded to the Centre in December 2016.
- Yes Bank has received RBI’s approval for the continuance of _____ as managing director and CEO of the bank till further notice from RBI?
1) Abhishek Sharma
2) Rana Kapoor
3) B Sriram
4) Rajesh Lal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rana Kapoor
Yes Bank has received RBI’s approval for the continuance of Rana Kapoor as managing director and CEO of the bank till further notice from RBI. In June 2018, Yes Bank’s shareholders had approved the re-appointment of Rana Kapoor as the chief executive and managing director for three years, subject to final approval from the Reserve Bank of India.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Bir Motibagh Wild Life Sanctuary located?Answer – Punjab
- Name the Secretary-General and headquarters of SAARC?Answer – Secretary-General – Amjad Hussain B. Sial; Headquarters – Kathmandu, Nepal
- What is the tag line of ICICI Bank?Answer – Hum Hain Na!
- Name the Chairman and Managing Director of GAIL?Answer – B C Tripathi
- Who is the Chairman cum Managing Director of National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC)?Answer – Ravindra Nath