AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 27 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- The Committee for reviewing framework dealing with offences under the Companies Act, 2013 submitted its report to the Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Arun Jaitley on 27th August 2018. Who is the chairperson of the committee?
1) Anil Kumar Jha
2) Injeti Srinivas
3) Pramod Singhvi
4) Rajat Bhatia
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Injeti Srinivas
On August 27, 2018, the Committee constituted by Government of India in July 2018 to review framework dealing with offences under the Companies Act, 2013 submitted its report to the Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Shri Arun Jaitley. This report as presented by the Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Shri Injeti Srinivas, who chaired the committee. It had a detailed analysis of all penal provisions in 8 categories based on the nature of offences.
- Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan launched an online portal for Common carrier capacity booking on which enterprise’s pipelines?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) GAIL
On 27th August 2018, Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan launched an online portal for enabling easy, efficient and transparent booking of Common carrier capacity for natural gas transmission services under GAIL’s pipelines. The online portal is available at: www.gailonline.com. It is the first of its kind portal in the natural gas sector of India. This portal offers the facility to register pipeline capacity bookings online to gas consumers. It will serve on first come-first served basis.
- Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved approximately Rs 46,000 crore for procurement of services for Indian Army and Navy, on 27th August 2018. Who is the chairperson of DAC?
1) Nirmala Sitharaman
2) Narendra Modi
3) Rajnath Singh
4) Sushma Swaraj
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Nirmala Sitharaman
On August 27, 2018, Defence Acquisition Council, DAC chaired by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman approved approximately 46,000 crore rupees for procurement of services. These include:
• procurement of 111 Utility Helicopters for the Indian Navy at a cost of over 21,000 crore rupees and
• other proposals amounting to around 25 thousand crore rupees.
- Which airlines operated India’s first biofuel-powered flight from Dehradun to Delhi on its Bombardier Q400 turboprop aircraft from Dehradun’s Jolly Grant airport?
1) Air India
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) SpiceJet
On August 27, 2018, SpiceJet would fly India’s first biofuel-powered flight from Dehradun to Delhi on its Bombardier Q400 turboprop aircraft from Dehradun’s Jolly Grant airport. It has used a blend of the aviation turbine fuel and biofuel to power the flight. The flight had 20 people, including officials from aviation regulator DGCA and SpiceJet and was around 25 minutes. It would encourage sustainable and alternative fuels for the transportation & aviation sector under National Biofuels Policy. With this test, India will be among the first developing nations to adopt the sustainable alternative jet fuel.
- Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) opened its first regional centre near which lake?
1) Chilika Lake
2) Wular Lake
3) Vembanad Lake
4) Sambal Lake
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Chilika Lake
On August 27, 2018, Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) opened its first regional centre near Chilika Lake. The regional branch was inaugurated in the premises of the Wetland Research and Training Centre (WRTC) of the Chilika Development Authority (CDA) at Chandrapur in Chilika. The branch would be engaged in the following activities:
• Identifying the air route of the foreign birds flocking the Chilika lake during winter,
• Sample collection,
• Training related to bird census,
• Publishing bird migration atlas books,
• Examining various diseases among the birds and
• To review the condition of the Nalabana bird sanctuary along with counting the birds.
- Where was the 8th meeting of India-Kenya Joint Trade Committee held from August 22-25, 2018?
1) Nairobi, Kenya
2) New Delhi, India
3) Mumbai, India
4) Kuala Lampur, Malaysia
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Nairobi, Kenya
From August 22-25, 2018, the 8th meeting of India-Kenya Joint Trade Committee was held in Nairobi, Kenya. The meeting was co-chaired by: Indian side: Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Mr.Suresh Prabhu. Kenya’s Side: Cabinet Secretary (Minister) for Industry, Trade and Cooperatives, Government of Kenya Mr. Peter Munya. The last meeting of Joint Trade Committee was held in New Delhi in February 2015.
- Where was the G20 Digital Economy Ministerial Meeting held from August 23-24, 2018?
1) Bern, Germany
2) Toronto, Canada
3) Wuhan, China
4) Salta, Argentina
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Salta, Argentina
From August 23-24, 2018, the G20 Digital Economy Ministerial Meeting was held at Salta’s Fine Arts Museum, and Salta Convention Centre in Salta, Argentina. It was chaired by Andrés Ibarra, Argentine Minister of Modernization, and Lino Barañao, Argentine Minister of Science, Technology and Innovative Production. It is a part of Sherpa Track for the 2018 G20 Leader’s Summit, which is to be hosted by Argentina at the end of 2018. The theme for the 2018 meeting was : ‘Building consensus for fair and sustainable development’. The agenda of the meeting was on 3 issues: the future of work, infrastructure for development, and a sustainable food future.
- Which bank was rated as number one state-owned bank in terms of digital transactions, as per a report of Department of Financial Services, on 27th August 2018?
1) Canara Bank
2) Punjab National Bank
3) Indian Bank
4) Corporation Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Punjab National Bank
On August 27, 2018, according to a report of Department of Financial Services, Punjab National Bank has been rated as number one state-owned bank in terms of digital transactions. The bank is rated as ‘Good’ by the government with a score of 71 which is the highest category of performance. In Digital performance, it ranked sixth overall amongst all banks.
- According to the report named Ecowrap published by SBI, the current account deficit of India will rise to _____% of the GDP in the current financial year (FY 19)?
1) 2.8 %
2) 3.2 %
3) 3.4 %
4) 1.9 %
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) 2.8 %
On August 27, 2018, according to a report named Ecowrap published by SBI, the current account deficit of the country will rise to 2.8% of the GDP in the current financial year. This is due to rise in oil prices and moderate growth in exports. The merchandise trade imbalance is also expected to rise to USD 188 billion in FY19, compared with USD 160 billion in FY18. In July, the trade deficit jumped to USD 18 billion. The CAD is still expected to be majorly financed by non-debt creating (FDI and FPI) capital inflows having around 44 per cent of the total capital flows.
- Which bank was named the world’s best bank for digital innovation while still maintaining stable operations for its customers, by Global Finance magazine, on 27th August 2018?
1) State Bank of India (SBI)
2) DBS Bank
3) HDFC Bank
4) ICICI Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) DBS Bank
On August 27, 2018, Global Finance magazine named DBS Bank as the world’s best bank for digital innovation while still maintaining stable operations for its customers. It is the first Asian bank to receive the accolade. It was given to ING Bank in 2017. In 2016, finance magazine Euromoney named DBS the world’s best digital bank. It also received the Asia’s best bank title. In 2014, Ms Tan Su Shan, DBS’ group head of consumer banking and wealth management, was recognised as the world’s best leader in private banking at the PWM/The Banker Global Private Banking Awards.
- Who was appointed as an independent director on the board of Indiabulls Ventures for a period of 3 years?
1) Joshua Holla
2) Joshwin S
3) Abhaya Prasad Hota
4) Ravi Kumar Nandan
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Abhaya Prasad Hota
On 25th August 2018, Indiabulls Ventures appointed Abhaya Prasad Hota, as an independent director on the board for a period of 3 years. Abhaya Prasad Hota is a former managing director at the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). He was involved in designing the operating payments eco-system. He had worked with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for 27 years. He had played a major role in launching payment systems like MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition), RTGS (Real Time Gross Settlement), NEFT (National Electronic Funds Transfer), IMPS (Immediate Payment Service) and Aadhaar based system with UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India).
- Goldman Sachs appointed _____ as the managing director and chief India economist, on 27th August 2018?
1) Prachi Mishra
2) Sanjay Kanwar
3) Athul Bohra
4) Ranveer Mishra
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Prachi Mishra
On 27th August 2018, Goldman Sachs appointed Prachi Mishra as the managing director and chief India economist. Prachi Mishra will be based in Mumbai. Earlier, she was the deputy division chief of the western hemisphere department at the International Monetary Fund (IMF). She was the head of the strategic research unit at the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) from February 2016 to May 2017. She was also a specialist adviser at the RBI between November 2014 and February 2016. She was the first lateral recruit at the RBI. She also worked as a senior economist at IMF and the Finance Ministry of India.
- Who was appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Namibia, on 21st August 2018?
1) Amarnath Singh
2) Manohar Jain
3) Varun Acharya
4) Prashant Agrawal
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Prashant Agrawal
On 21st August 2018, Prashant Agrawal was appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Namibia. Prashant Agrawal is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) Officer of the 1998 batch. At present he is Joint Secretary at Headquarters. He has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Namibia. He will take up this assignment soon.
- Who was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Ireland, on 20th August 2018?
1) Arun Valsad
2) Sandeep Kumar
3) Sadhana Varma
4) Pranesh Dachanamoorthy
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Sandeep Kumar
On 20th August 2018, Sandeep Kumar was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Ireland. Sandeep Kumar is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) Officer of the 1985 batch. Currently, he is the Ambassador of India to Croatia. He has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Ireland. He will take up this assignment soon.
- NASA’s OSIRIS-Rex (Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regolith Explorer), an asteroid sampling spacecraft, has caught its first image of which asteroid?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Bennu
NASA’s OSIRIS-Rex (Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regolith Explorer), an asteroid sampling spacecraft, caught its first image of asteroid Bennu, last week after a 2-year journey. OSIRIS-Rex has started its final approach towards its target asteroid Bennu. The mission’s asteroid operations started on 17thAugust. OSIRIS-Rex’s PolyCam camera secured the image from a distance of 1.4 million miles (2.2 million km).
- Which country will host the 2019 Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships that will commence from October 27, 2019?
4) North Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) North Korea
On August 27, 2018, North Korea announced that it would be the host for the 2019 Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships that will commence from October 27, 2019. The Asian Weightlifting Federation and North Korea’s Sports Minister Kim Il Guk signed an agreement for the championship to be held in capital Pyongyang. Earlier in September 2013, the Asian Cup and Interclub Junior and Senior Weightlifting Championship was held in North Korea.
- Which cricketer set the world record for the most economical four-over bowling figures in the history of T20 cricket, on 27th August 2018?
1) Virat Kohli
2) Shikhar Dawan
3) Mohammad Irfan
4) Rashid Khan
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mohammad Irfan
On August 27, 2018, Pakistani fast bowler Mohammad Irfan set the world record for the most economical four-over bowling figures in the history of T20 cricket. This feat was achieved while playing for Barbados Tridents in the Caribbean Premier League 2018. He bowled 23 dot balls in a row, picking two wickets in the process. This record was previously shared by South Africa’s Chris Morris and Sri Lanka’s Chanaka Welegedara.
- Neil Simon died following complications from pneumonia in Manhattan, United States, on 26th August 2018. He was a _____?
1) social activist
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) playwright
On 26th August 2018, Neil Simon, a playwright and Broadway’s master of comedy, died following complications from pneumonia in Manhattan, United States. Neil Simon was 91 years old. He was a playwright and had also written for movies. He had received: 4 Tony Awards, the Pulitzer Prize, the Kennedy Center honors (1995), 4 Writers Guild of America Awards, an American Comedy Awards Lifetime Achievement honor, Mark Twain Prize for American Humor (2006). In 1983, a Broadway theater was named after him as the Neil Simon Theatre.
- John McCain passed away after fighting brain cancer, in United States, on 25th August 2018. What was his profession?
1) Football player
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Politician
On 25th August 2018, US senator John McCain passed away after fighting glioblastoma, a form of brain cancer, in United States. He was 81 years old. He was a 6-term Republican senator and presidential nominee. He had spent more than 30 years in the Senate. He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1983. He was one of the most influential US politicians of his generation. Before entering politics in 1980s, he served as a pilot in the US Navy. He was held as a prisoner of war camp for 6 years during the Vietnam War.
- Where was MGR Centenary Film Studio, the tallest such structure in India, inaugurated on 26th August 2018?
1) Kochi, Kerala
2) Hyderabad, Telangana
3) Paiyanur, Tamil Nadu
4) Bengaluru, Karnataka
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Paiyanur, Tamil Nadu
MGR Centenary Film Studio, the tallest such structure in India, was inaugurated by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami. The 56 feet tall, 110 metres long and 100 feet wide studio was constructed using funds collected by the Federation of Film Employees Union of South India (FEFSI), at Paiyanur, Tamil Nadu.
- Name India’s first Humboldt penguin chick that died on 22nd August 2018, at Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan and Zoo in Mumbai?
3) Freedom Baby
4) Indie Chick
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Freedom Baby
Freedom Baby died on August 22 at Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan and Zoo in Byculla due to newborn anomalies. Anomalies like liver dysfunction and yolk sac retention led to the newborn penguin’s death. The chick, which was named Freedom Baby. It was hatched on August 15, weighing around 75 grams.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Who is the President of Kenya?Answer – Uhuru Kenyatta
- When was Punjab National Bank founded?Answer – 1894
- What is the capital and currency of Republic of Ireland?Answer – Capital – Dublin; Currency – Euro (EUR)
- Name the largest saline water lake in India?Answer – Chilika Lake, Odisha
- Where is the headquarters of DBS Bank?Answer – Singapore