AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 25 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Where was India Banking Conclave 2018 held on 23rd and 24th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.New Delhi
On 23rd and 24th August 2018, India Banking Conclave 2018 was held in New Delhi. The India Banking Conclave 2018 was organized by Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR). Knowledge Partner of the conclave was NITI Aayog. The conclave focused on reforming the banking sector. Politicians, Industrialists, Bureaucrats, Analysts, Academicians, Chartered Accountants, Company Secretary, Corporate Lawyers, top bankers and ministers participated in the conclave.
- With which country did India sign the Second Protocol amending the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) in New Delhi, on 24th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Singapore
On 24th August 2018, India and Singapore signed the Second Protocol amending the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) in New Delhi. The Protocol was signed by Deputy Chief Negotiators, Rajneesh, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, India and Francis Chong, Senior Director, Ministry of Trade and Industry, Singapore. CECA was the 1st comprehensive agreement covering trade in goods, services and investments, signed by India with any of its trade partners. CECA was signed on 29th June 2005. Its first review concluded on 1st October 2007. Signing of the Second Protocol concludes the negotiations on 2nd review of CECA that started on 11th May 2010.
- A part capacity of 126 MW wind power of India’s first Inter-State Transmission System (ISTS) auction, was commissioned in _____, by Ostro Kutch Wind Private Ltd, on 24th August 2018?
4.Vishakapatanm, Andhra Pradesh
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Bhuj, Gujarat
On 24th August 2018, a part capacity of 126 MW wind power of India’s first Inter-State Transmission System (ISTS)auction, was commissioned in Bhuj, Gujarat, by Ostro Kutch Wind Private Ltd. Solar Energy Corporation of India Ltd (SECI) had conducted India’s first auction of wind power projects in February 2017. Tariff of Rs 3.46 was discovered in that, which was much lower than feed in current tariffs. It was a 1,000 MW bid for projects to be connected on ISTS. Through ISTS power generated from one state (renewable resource rich state) can be transmitted to other renewable deficient states. Mytrah, Inox, Ostro, Green Infa and Adani won this auction. Ostro Kutch Wind Private Ltd was issued letter of award for 250 MW capacity on 5th April 2017, with commissioning period of 18 months.
- Name the app that has been launched by former President Pranab Mukherjee to enable voters to rate and review their political representatives?
1.Report Card app
3.Rate the Leaders app
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Neta app
On 24th August 2018, Neta app that allows voters to rate and review their political representatives was launched by former President Pranab Mukherjee. The Neta App aims to build political accountability and transparency among leaders. It will enable users to rate their MLAs and MPs. It is billed as an instrument to measure voter sentiment in Indian constituencies. The Neta app has been developed by Pratham Mittal, a 27-year-old entrepreneur. It uses Artificial Intelligence, advanced algorithms, one time password and Aadhaar numbers to make sure that the users are genuine.
- On 25th August 2018, high-level 5G Forum submitted its 62-page report to the Department of Telecommunication (DoT). Who is the head of the committee?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.AJ Paulraj
On August 25, 2018, high-level 5G Forum headed by Stanford University’s Professor Emeritus AJ Paulraj, submitted its 62-page report to the Department of Telecommunication (DoT) and suggested the following measures to be taken. The recommendations are as follows:
• announcement of a 5G spectrum policy,
• earmarking additional airwave bandsthat may have an economic impact of more than $1 trillion by 2035,
• assignment of free bandwidthfor trials for a fixed time frame of 6 months,
• provision of spectrum licensefor 12 months after the trials,
• most guidelines on regulatory matters must be promulgated by March 2019to facilitate early 5G deployment,
• Even after 5G spectrum, 2G, 3G and 4G will continue to remain in use and it may take 10 or more years to phase out.
• DoT may provide financial support to telcos related to deployment and
• additional financial support may be offered to internet service providers (ISPs), technology companies, local governments to participate in the trials
• India is likely to see the first 5G commercial launch in 2020.
- _____ has launched The Stores, Proactive, Efficient and Expeditious Despatch of Extra Size/ Wt Consignment (SPEEDEX) contract to reduce the time taken for transportation of items and ensure early availability of stores to the field units?
2.Indian Air Force
3.Indian Coast Guard
4.Border Roads Organisation
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Indian Air Force
On August 25, 2018, Air Marshal RKS Shera, Air Officer-in-charge Maintenance, IAF formally launched The Stores, Proactive, Efficient and Expeditious Despatch of Extra Size/ Wt Consignment (SPEEDEX) contract. To reduce the time taken for transportation of items and ensure early availability of stores to the field units. This contract was concluded on 28 Jun 18 with M/s Balmer Lawrie & Co Ltd and M/s Ashok Travel and Tours for the Air & Surface component respectively. The theme of the contract is: ‘lift, shift and move’, that on all principles of Military Logistics.
- Which State Government has increased the free electricity supply to the families of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes for domestic purpose from the current 50 units to 101 units?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Telangana
On 24th August 2018, Telangana State Government increased the free electricity supply to the families of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes for domestic purpose from the current 50 units to 101 units. This was announced by Telengana Chief Minister Chandrasekhar Rao at a review meeting in Hyderabad. This decision has been made keeping in mind, the increasing usage of electrical appliances. The state government will pay these charges to the distributary agencies. Telangana State Government has also increased the honorarium paid to Imams and Moazins of Masjids to 5000 rupees from the current 1500 rupees per month.
- Where was the 9th edition of Mountain Echoes Literary Festival 2018 held from 23rd to 25th August 2018?
2.Jammu & Kashmir, India
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Thimphu, Bhutan
From 23rd to 25th August 2018, 9th edition of Mountain Echoes Literary Festival 2018 was held in Thimphu, Bhutan. This festival is an initiative of the India-Bhutan Foundation and Siyahi, an Indian literary agency. It was presented by the Jaypee Group and powered by the Department of Tourism, Government of Rajasthan. This year’s festival celebrated 50 years of formal diplomatic relations between India and Bhutan.
- World Bank has launched “BONDI Bond”, the world’s first public bond created and managed using only blockchain technology. What does “D” represent in BONDI?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Debt
Bondi stands for Blockchain Operated New Debt Instrument.
On August 25, 2018, the World Bank has launched the world’s first public bond created and managed using only blockchain technology. The Commonwealth Bank of Australia is the sole manager of the deal that has been priced by the World Bank at A$100 million ($73.16 million) with a two-year maturity. The price for the “kangaroo” deal at 23 basis points above benchmark rates. This will be the first time that capital is raised from public investors through a legally valid bond using blockchain technology.
- Name the Vice Chancellor of University of Hyderabad (UoH) who has been selected for the J C Bose Fellowship of Department of Science and Technology by the Government?
2.Appa Rao Podile
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Appa Rao Podile
Appa Rao Podile, Vice Chancellor, University of Hyderabad (UoH) has been selected for the J C Bose Fellowship of Department of Science and Technology by the Government. This fellowship has been awarded as a recognition of his work in plant-microbe interactions and induced resistance in plants. He will receive a fellowship amount of Rs 25,000 pm and a research grant of Rs. 15 lakhs per annum. It is initially provided for 5 years. Later, the fellowship can be extended based on performance during the first 5 years. Appa Rao Podile has published more than 100 original research papers.
- Who was appointed as the chairman of DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation) for a two year term, on 25th August 2018?
2.Dr. G Satheesh Reddy
4.Dr. S Vijay Narayanan
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Dr. G Satheesh Reddy
On August 25, 2018, Dr. G Satheesh Reddy has been appointed as the chairman of DRDO for a two year term. He will also be the Secretary, Department of Defence Research and Development (DoDRD). He is currently serving as the scientific advisor to the defence minister and is also the Director General of the strategic missile division. He also heads the Research Centre Imarat (RCI).
- Who was sworn in as Australia’s 30th prime minister, on 24th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Scott Morrison
On 24th August 2018, Scott Morrison was sworn in as Australia’s 30th prime minister. Scott Morrison is 50 years old. He was serving as Australia’s treasurer. He defeated former Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton by 45 – 40 votes in an internal vote. This vote was conducted after former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull lost majority support of the Liberal party MPs. Josh Frydenberg was sworn in as the treasurer.
- Which company won the Gold Flame Award in the Energy Efficiency Improvement category of the Best Energy Services Company, in the Sri Lanka National Efficiency Awards 2018 in Colombo, Sri Lanka, on 25th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Forbes Marshall
On August 21, 2018, the Sri Lanka National Efficiency Awards 2018 commenced in Colombo. The Sri Lanka National Efficiency Awards 2018 was instituted by Sri Lanka Sustainable Energy Authority. Forbes Marshall won the Gold Flame Award in the Energy Efficiency Improvement category of the Best Energy Services Companyfor its contribution to reduce energy use through energy management efforts. This award ceremony was organised annually by the Sri Lankan Ministry of Power and Renewable Energy and Sri Lanka Sustainable Energy Authority.
- On 23rd August 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid foundation stone of Astole Water Supply Scheme for providing clean drinking water at the cost of Rs.586 crore in Valsad district of which state?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Gujarat
On August 23,2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reached Surat, where he was received by Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani. During his day long visit, he visited Junagarh, Valsad and addressed the 4th convocation of Gujarat Forensic Science University in Gandhinagar. During his visit in Valsad, the PM inaugurated multiple projects, these include:
• More than 1.15 lakh houses have been built in Gujarat at a cost of Rs 1,727 crore under the scheme across 26 districts.
• He distributed e-Gruhpravesh certificates to beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin.
• Beneficiaries from five districts of south Gujarat — Valsad, Navsari, Tapi, Surat and Dangs – were present for the distribution of the certificates in Valsad.
• On the sideline of this mission he announced the target of every family owning a home by 2022.
• Laid foundation stone of Astole Water Supply Scheme for providing clean drinking water at the cost of Rs.586 crore in Kaprada region in Valsad district.
• He also distributed certificates and employment letters to select beneficiaries under various development schemes, including Deen Dayal Upadhyay Grameen Kaushal Vikas Yojana, Mukhya Mantri Gramodaya Yojana and National Rural Livelihood Mission.
- Which University has announced that it will rename its School of Management and Entrepreneurship as Atal Bihari Vajpayee School of Management and Entrepreneurship?
1.Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
On August 25, 2018, after the demise of the former PM of India MR. Atal Bihari Vajpayee, various states and institutions renamed themselves after Late PM. Some of them are:
The Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) announced its decision to rename its School of Management and Entrepreneurship as Atal Bihari Vajpayee School of Management and Entrepreneurship. Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh renaming upcoming capital of the state Naya Raipur as Atal Nagar. Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government to name the proposed Bundelkhand Expressway as ‘Atal Path’.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is Jambughoda Wildlife Sanctuary located?Answer – Gujarat
- Who is the Chairman of Solar Energy Corporation of India Ltd (SECI)?Answer – Anand Kumar
- Where is Rohtang Tunnel located?Answer – Himachal Pradesh
- Name the President and Headquarters of World Bank?Answer – President – Jim Yong Kim, Headquarters – Washington, D.C., U.S.
- What is the capital and currency of Australia?Answer – Capital – Canberra; Currency – Australian dollar