AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz August 17,2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Union Cabinet has accorded its approval for creation of a non-lapsable pool in the Public Account for secondary and higher, education known as “Madhyamik and Uchchtar Shiksha Kosh” (MUSK) into which all proceeds of “Secondary and Higher Education Cess” will be credited. Administration and maintenance of this pool will be under:
1.Prime Ministers Office (PMO)
3.Ministry of Finance
4.Ministry of Human Resource Development
5. Ministry of Women and child DevelopmentAnswer – 4.Ministry of Ministry of Human Resource Development
Administration and maintenance of Madhyamik and Uchchtar Shiksha Kosh will be under Ministry of Human Resource Development. Accruals from the Cess would be utilized in the ongoing schemes of Secondary and Higher Education.
- Union Cabinet has given its approval to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and _______on cooperation in the field of Intellectual Property (IPRs).
5.GreeceAnswer – 1.Sweden
The MoU establishes a wide ranging and flexible mechanism through which India and Sweden can exchange best practices and work together on training programs and technical exchanges to raise awareness on IPRs and better protect intellectual property rights.
- On August 16, 2017, Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the proposal of Department of Investment and public Asset Management (DIPAM) to set up an Alternative Mechanism for strategic disinvestment. Who among the following will be a part of this Alternative Mechanism?
3.Road Transport & Highways Minister
4.Minister of Human Resource Development
5.Minister of Micro, Small and Medium EnterprisesAnswer – 3.Road Transport & Highways Minister
On August 16, 2017, Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved two proposals of Department of Investment and public Asset Management (DIPAM) for strategic disinvestment – Setting up an Alternative Mechanism and Empowering the Core Group of Secretaries (CGD).
- On August 16, 2017, Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval to the Scheme of providing Budgetary Support under Goods and Service Tax (GST) Regime for the eligible industrial units located in State of Jammu & Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh and North Eastern States including Sikkim till:
5.2027Answer – 5.2027
Budgetary support of Rs. 27,413 crore for the said Scheme has been approved for the period from 1.7.2017 till 31.03.2027 for such industrial units located in aforesaid States which availed the benefit of Central Excise exemption prior to coming into force of GST regime. It is estimated that total number of 4284 eligible units will get the benefit of this scheme.
- Union Finance Ministry has signed a grant agreement of $24.64 million with which international financial organisation for ecosystem service improvement project?
2.International Monetary Fund
3.Asian Development Bank
4.New Development Bank
5.Asian Infrastructure Investment BankAnswer – 1.World Bank
The project would be financed entirely by the World Bank out of its Global Environment Facility (GEF) Trust Fund. The project’s duration is five years. The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change will implement the project in the states of Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh through Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education under the National Mission for Green India.
- An agreement has been signed between the oil companies and Energy Efficiency Services Ltd., under which Energy efficient appliances will now be sold in retail outlets of Public Sector Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs). Energy Efficiency Services Ltd. was launched in which year?
5.2016Answer – 4.2015
As part of the agreement, EESL will make the entire upfront investment for ensuring availability of the products at the outlets and no upfront capital cost will be borne by the OMCs barring manpower and space.
- On August 16, 2017, Union minister Jitendra Singh said that a north eastern cultural and information centre will soon be set up in:
5.ManipurAnswer – 3.Delhi
Mr. Jitendra Singh said the centre will be a new gift to the people of the northeast and in line with the priority being given to the region by the central government. The Delhi Development Authority had allotted a 1.32 acre land in Dwarka where the centre will be constructed by the North Eastern Council (NEC) at a cost of Rs 50-55 crore within two years.
- . Who among the following has been named Hollywood’s best-paid female actor in Forbes’ annual list of top earners?
5.Megan FoxAnswer – 4.Emma Stone
Emma Stone made $26m in the last 12 months, the majority of which was earned from her Oscar-winning performance in the musical romance La La Land. The film made over $445m worldwide.
- On August 16, 2017, which country named Pakistan-based Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) as a Foreign Terrorist Organisation and a Specially Designated Global Terrorist group?
5.RussiaAnswer – 1.US
The Hizbul Mujahideen is one of the two most active Pakistan-based terrorist groups operating in Jammu and Kashmir, and claimed responsibility for several attacks, including the April 2014 explosives attack in Kashmir that injured 17 people.
- On August 16, 2017, which entity announced that farmers need to mandatorily link Aadhaar numbers to their accounts to avail subsidised farm loan?
1.Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
2.National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
3.State Bank of India
4.Union Ministry of Finance
5.Reserve Bank of IndiaAnswer – 5.Reserve Bank of India
In line with the government’s policy, the RBI has said that farmers can avail of short-term crop loans of up to Rs 3 lakh at subsidised interest rate of 7% that could go down to 4% on prompt repayment.
- . Who among the following has taken charge as Pakistan’s new High Commissioner to India on August 16, 2017?
5.Nazeem RazaAnswer – 4.Sohail Mahmood
Sohail Mahmood, a career diplomat, joined Pakistan’s foreign service in 1985. His first posting abroad was in Ankara, where he served at the Pakistan Embassy from 1991-1994. Since then, he has served in various missions abroad, including Washington, New York and Ankara.
- Who among the following has been appointed as new President and Managing Director of General Motors (GM) India?
5.Jigar DaswaniAnswer – 3.Sanjiv Gupta
General Motors (GM) India has announced the appointment of Sanjiv Gupta as the new President and Managing Director of the company. The current President and Managing Director Kaher Kazem will hand over the reins of the company to Sanjiv Gupta, who is Chief Financial Officer, effective from September 1, 2017.
- India and _______ are planning to set up a CEO Forum to boost the trade ties.
5.CanadaAnswer – 4.Mexico
A meeting between Commerce & Industry Ministry officials and trade diplomats from the Mexican Embassy is scheduled this week on promoting exchanges between the business communities. Leaders of both countries have given emphasis on encouraging cooperation in the infrastructure sector, among small and medium enterprises, in pharmaceutical products and many other sectors.
- India’s drug pricing regulator, National Pharmaceuticals Pricing Authority (NPPA) has capped the prices of knee implants, in a move that is expected to reduce product prices by as much as ______%
5.69%Answer – 5.69%
ExplanatThe most widely used complete knee implant (cobalt chromium) will now cost Rs. 54720, excluding goods and services tax (GST) as against Rs1.58 lakh earlier. NPPA has also capped prices of a second surgery, if required, to Rs1.13 lakh as against Rs2.76 lakh earlier.ion:
- . Which among the following has become the first power utility to introduce a QR code based bill payments system in India?
5.NTPC Ltd.Answer – 2.Tata Power
Under this service by Tata Power, the QR code linked to Unified Payments Interface (UPI) will be printed on the electricity bills. The customers can scan the QR code with BHIM app or any other UPI linked bank app and pay their bills without any hassle.
- An exclusive lane for FASTag vehicles will be operational at all toll plazas on National Highways from:
1.September 1, 2017
2.October 1, 2017
3.November 1, 2017
4.December 1, 2017
5.January 1, 2018Answer – 1.September 1, 2017
In order to facilitate the availability of FASTags for Electronic Toll Collection, National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has taken steps in consultation with Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). These include online sale of FASTags and offline sale through Common Services Centre (CSC) near toll plazas.
- Scientists from _________ have developed a low-cost and highly sensitive blood test that may quickly detect cancer growth and spread.
5.Auckland, New ZealandAnswer – 3.Stanford, US
The test called single colour digital PCR can detect genetic mutations in minute amounts of DNA released from cancer cells into the blood. The highly sensitive test requires only a fraction of a tube of blood and can detect as few as three mutation-bearing molecules in a single reaction.
- . Ridesharing app Uber has announced which new feature in India with an aim to give organizations a more efficient way to manage their business travel and improve employees’ experience.
1. ‘Uber for Business’
2. ‘Uber Office’
3. ‘Uber Organiser’
4. ‘Uber Commute’
5. ‘Uber Transit’Answer – 1.‘Uber for Business’
‘Uber for Business’ includes features such as ‘Set-and-forget’ travel programmes that will allow managers to set up automated programmes for commuting, business travel, airport rides and any other mobility need.
- . According to preliminary results from the first-ever synchronised all-India Elephant Population Estimation released by the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, India is home to ________ Asian elephant population.
5. 39312Answer – – 2.27312
All-India Elephant Population Census was conducted from March 2017 to May 2017. It covered 1.10 lakh square kilometres and spanned four regions of the country: the northeast, east-central, south and north.
- Which among the following football club has won the Spanish Super Cup for the 10th time?
5.BarcelonaAnswer – 1.Real Madrid
The Spanish Super Cup final was held at Santiago Bernabeu on August 16, 2017. Marco Asensio and Karim Benzema scored for Real Madrid to secure a 2-0 win over Barcelona.
- M K Damodaran, who passed away on August 16, 2017, was:
1.Former Kerala advocate general
2.Former Chief Minister of Kerala
3.Former Governor of Kerala
4.Novel Writer from Kerala
5.Historian from KeralaAnswer – 1.Former Kerala advocate general
Former Kerala advocate general M K Damodaran passed away in Kochi after a prolonged illness. A senior advocate of the state high court, Damodaran had functioned as Advocate General during the LDF regime headed by E K Nayanar from 1996-2001.