AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 9 December 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Who has inaugurated the construction work of Phase-1 of the Agra Metro project in Agra, Uttar Pradesh (UP) was held at 15 Battalion PAC parade
1) Nitin Gadkari
2) Piyush Goyal
3) Narendra Modi
4) Suresh Prabhu
5) Harsh Vardhan
Answer-3) Narendra Modi
On December 7, 2020, the inauguration ceremony for the construction work of Phase-1 of the Agra Metro project in Agra, Uttar Pradesh (UP) was held at 15 Battalion PAC parade ground in Agra. The project was virtually inaugurated by Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi in the presence of Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Chief Minister (CM) of UP, Yogi Adityanath, and UP Governor Anandiben Patel.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers (PWC) India has partnered with which two companies to train 300 million young people in India over the next 10 years?
1) Amnesty International
2) Greenpeace India
3) UNESCO and Save the Children
4) UNICEF and YuWaah
5) Save the Children
Answer-4) UNICEF and YuWaah
On December 7, 2020, Consulting firm PwC (PriceWaterhouseCoopers) India announced the launch of a strategic collaboration with United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and YuWaah (Generation Unlimited in India) to upskill 300 million youths in India in the next 10 years. It should be noted that in November 2019, UNICEF launched Generation. Unlimited aka YuWaah in India is aimed at imparting skills & providing employment to 1.8 billion young people in India in the age bracket of 10-24 years by 2030.
- Which state in India has topped the list in reducing malaria cases by 59% according to the World Health Organization’s “World Malaria Report 2020”?
3) Madhya Pradesh
According to the World Malaria Report 2020 released by the World Health Organization (WHO), India became the only high endemic country to report a decline of 17.6 % in 2019 compared to 2018. India reported the largest fall in Malaria cases in the WHO South-East Asia Region, it reported 5.6 Million cases in 2019 compared to 20 Million cases in 2000. Globally 229 Million malaria cases were reported in 2018 in 87 malaria endemic countries. As per the ‘World Malaria Report 2020’, Meghalaya has topped the list in reducing malaria cases by 59% in India.
- West Bengal approved the construction of states 1st Deep Sea Port at _____.
On December 7, 2020, West Bengal Cabinet approved the Construction of the State’s 1st Deep Sea Port at Tajpur, Purba Medinipur, West Bengal. The Port is expected to attract investment of about INR 15, 000 Crores and generate employment for 25, 000 people. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee stated that the port will be built entirely by the West Bengal Government.
- Which state government has signed MoU with Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) to promote water tourism?
1) Madhya Pradesh
2) Tamil Nadu
5) Uttar Pradesh
Answer-5) Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh State tourism department signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) to promote water tourism in the state. This will allow the operation of 2 Ro Pax Passenger vessels in Varanasi by the tourism department.
- Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) authorized IGX, to operate as gas exchange for a period of _____.
1) 10 years
2) 15 years
3) 20 years
4) 25 years
5) 30 years
Answer-4) 25 years
Indian Gas Exchange (IGX), has secured authorization from the Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) to operate as a Gas Exchange. IGX is India’s first automated delivery-based gas trading platform. IGX has secured the necessary authorization to operate as a Gas Exchange as per the provisions of the PNGRB (Gas Exchange) Regulations, 2020 for a period of 25 years.
- What is India’s rank in the 16th Climate Change Performance Index 2021 released by Germanwatch and no country has placed on the first three positions?
On December 7, 2020, a non-profit, non-governmental organization, Germanwatch has released the 16th edition of Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) i.e. CCPI 2021 for 57 countries and European Union (EU) in which India was ranked at 10th spot with a score of 63.98 out of 100.This was the second consecutive time that India remained in top 10 as it was at 9th position in 2019 with an overall score of 66.02.
Notably, the index has placed no country on the first three positions, which states overall very high rating, because countries are not performing well in all index categories. In categories ranking also there are no first three positions.
- Which two countries have jointly revised the height of Mount Everest, the world’s highest peak, to “8848.86 meters”?
1) China and Tibet
2) Nepal and China
3) Tibet and Nepal
4) China and India
5) India and Nepal
Answer-2) Nepal and China
On December 8, 2020, Nepal and China jointly announced that “8848.86 metres” is the revised height of World’s Highest Peak, Mount Everest. The revised height of Mt.Everest is 86 centimetres more than the previous measure done in 1954 by Survey of India (8, 848 metres). “Sagarmatha” is the Nepali name for Mount Everest, whereas it is called “Chomolungma” or “Qomolangma”in Tibetian and “Qomolangma Feng” in Chinese.
- Who is appointed as the Interim Prime Minister of Romania on 7th December 2020?
1) Klaus Iohannis
2) Marcel Ciolacu
3) Ludovic Orban
4) Nicolae-Ionel Ciucă
5) Gabriela Firea
Answer-4) Nicolae-Ionel Ciucă
On 7th December 2020, Ludovic Orban, center-right Prime minister of Romania, leader of National Liberal Party (PNL) resigned from his post after the ruling party lost the 2020 parliamentary election held on 6th December 2020. The opposition party Social Democrats (PSD) won with 30.16% votes for Senate and 29.7% for Chamber of Deputies. Klaus Iohannis, President of Romania appointed Nicolae-Ionel Ciucă, Defence Minister as the Interim Prime Minister.
- On which date SAARC Charter Day is annually observed across the member countries of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)?
1) December 5
2) December 6
3) December 7
4) December 8
5) December 9
Answer-4) December 8
The SAARC Charter was signed on 8th December 1985 by the Heads of State or Government of Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka at the 1st SAARC Summit held in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
SAARC Charter Day is annually observed across the member countries of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka on 8th December to mark the adoption of SAARC Charter by the member countries in 1985 to establish South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC). The 8th December 2020 marks the 36th SAARC Charter Day.
- NBCFDC & NSFDC signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoAs) with Central Bank of India for implementation of ‘Vanchit Ikai Samooh aur Vargon ki Aarthik Sahayta (VISVAS) Yojana’ – an Interest Subvention Scheme. VISVAS is under which ministry?
1) Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
2) Ministry of Corporate Affairs
3) Ministry of Finance
4) Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
5) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
Answer-4) Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
On December 7, 2020, National Backward Classes Finance & Development Corporation (NBCFDC) & National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC) signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MoAs) with Central Bank of India for implementation of ‘Vanchit Ikai Samooh aur Vargon ki Aarthik Sahayta (VISVAS) Yojana’ – an Interest Subvention Scheme of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India. With the signing of the agreement, interest subvention for the beneficiaries of the VISVAS Yojana will be provided through the Central Bank of India. Interest Subvention means Government paying part of the Interest on a Loan.
- ‘Money Mitra’, a new channel, to make banking services accessible to its customers in their neighborhood was launched by which bank?
1) Equitas Small Finance Bank
2) ESAF Small Finance Bank
3) Janalakshmi Small Finance Bank
4) Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
5) Capital Small Finance Bank
Answer-4) Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
On December 7, 2020 Ujjivan Small Finance Bank(SFB) Ltd introduced ‘Money Mitra’, a new channel, to make banking services accessible to its customers in their neighbourhood. Money Mitra facilitates entrepreneurs of local businesses like kirana / medical stores or Insurance agencies to offer retail banking solutions to Ujjivan SFB customers exclusively. Money Mitra is expected to be in accordance with Ujjivan SFB’s purpose to build banking behaviour among its micro banking customers.
- In December, 2020 which bank has launched the Atmanirbhar Women Scheme?
1) Bank of India
2) Bank of Baroda
3) Union Bank of India
4) Vijaya Bank
5) Central Bank of India
Answer- 2) Bank of Baroda
On December 7, 2020 Sanjiv Chadha, Managing Director(MD) and Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of Bank of Baroda (BoB) launched ‘Atmanirbhar Women Scheme’ virtually at BOB’s Ramamurthy Nagar branch, Bengaluru, Karnataka. This launch is part of the bank’s Baroda Gold Loan. The launch was also made simultaneously in 18 branches coming under 18 zones in India.
- India’s first technologically backed group health insurance products was co-created by Plum Benefits Private Limited and _____.
1) Bharti Axa General Insurance
2) HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company
3) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
4) Reliance General Insurance
5) ICICI Lombard General Insurance Limited
Answer-5) ICICI Lombard General Insurance Limited
On December 7, 2020 ICICI Lombard General Insurance Limited partnered with Plum Benefits Private Limited to co-create India’s first technologically backed group health insurance products. Aim of the initiative is to offer employers and employees flexibility, transparent pricing, and exceptional healthcare experience.
- UBS Principal Capital Asia Ltd. sold 20,70,000 shares of which bank through open market transaction?
1) RBL Bank
2) Kotak Mahindra Bank
3) IndusInd Bank
4) DCB Bank
5) Syndicate Bank
Answer- 3) IndusInd Bank
On December 4, 2020 UBS Principal Capital Asia Ltd. sold 20,70,000 shares of IndusInd Bank Ltd through open market transaction. The shares were sold at an average price of Rs 891.4 a piece, valuing the transaction at Rs 184.51 crore. BofA Securities Europe SA purchased the shares of IndusInd Bank at the same price. As per the shareholding data of IndusInd Bank for September quarter 2020, UBS Principal Capital Asia held 3.22% stake in the bank as a public shareholder.
- Name the bank that has approved $2.5 million(Around Rs.18 crore) Technical Assistance (TA) to support advanced biofuel development in India.
1) World Bank
2) European Investment Bank (EIB)
3) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
4) Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
5) European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Answer-Asian Development Bank (ADB)
On December 7, 2020 The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a $2.5 million (about Rs 18 crore) Technical Assistance (TA) to support advanced biofuel development in India. This grant is funded from the Asia Clean Energy Fund, financed by the Government of Japan under the Clean Energy Financing Partnership Facility, and the Republic of Korea’s e-Asia and Knowledge Partnership Fund.
The main objective of the National Policy on Biofuels is to take forward the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy(MNRE)’s target to achieve 20% blending of ethanol in petrol and 5% blending of biodiesel in diesel by 2030.
- Fitch’s Global Economic Outlook-December 2020 upgraded the India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) forecast to ____ for FY-2021 from its previous projection.
1) (-)8 %
2) (-)10.5 %
4) (-)9.4 %
5) 0.3 %
Answer-4) (-)9.4 %
On December 8, 2020, Fitch Ratings in its recent Global Economic Outlook-December 2020 upgraded the India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) forecast to – 9.4% in FY21 from a previously projected contraction of 10.5%. This revision took place after a great economic push from the coronavirus-induced recession in Q2FY21 (July-September). The Fitch projections regarding GDP for FY22 and FY23 remained unchanged at 11% and 6.3% respectively. In FY20, there was a GDP growth of 4.2%.
- Which private entity was signed an MoU with Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA) for Green energy Projects in December 2020?
1) NHPC Limited
2) SJVN Limited
3) Power Grid Corporation of India
4) JSW Energy
5) NTPC Limited
Answer- 2) SJVN Limited
On December 7, 2020, SJVN Limited signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA) for Green Energy Projects through virtual mode. As per the MoU, IREDA will provide services to SJVN for development of Green Energy Projects, and help SJVN in devising an action plan to create and acquire Renewable Energy Projects for the next 5 years.
- In December, 2020 a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Council of Scientific & Industrial Research-National Metallurgical Laboratory (CSIR-NML) and _______ for research and development in the field of material science and engineering.
1) Tata Steel limited
2) National Metallurgical Laboratory
3) Indian Air Force
4) Steel Authority of India
5) Indian Navy
Answer-3) Indian Air Force
On 7th December 2020, the Indian Air Force(IAF) signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with Council of Scientific & Industrial Research-National Metallurgical Laboratory (CSIR-NML), Jamshedpur, Jharkhand for the research and development in the field of material science and engineering.
- National Thermal Power Corporation) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Institute of Forest Management (IIFM), Bhopal for the implementation of Narmada Landscape Restoration Project (NLRP). Funds for NLRP will be provided equally by NTPC ltd and ______.
1) United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
2) World Bank
3) International Monetary Fund (IMF)
4) Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
5) Asian Development Bank (ADB)
Answer-1) United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
NTPC Limited (formerly known as National Thermal Power Corporation) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Institute of Forest Management (IIFM), Bhopal for the implementation of Narmada Landscape Restoration Project (NLRP). NTPC Ltd & United States Agency for International Development (USAID) will provide the funds in equal proportions for the implementation of the project. The project will be implemented in Khargone District of Madhya Pradesh along the catchments of tributaries of River Narmada between the Omkareshwar & Maheshwar dams. The tenure of the project will be 4 years.
- Who is appointed as the inaugural CEO of WHO Foundation in December 2020?
1) Indra Nooyi
2) Bob Chapek
3) Jamie Dimon
4) Chanda Kochhar
5) Anil Soni
Answer-5) Anil Soni
On December 8, 2020 WHO Foundation appointed Anil Soni, Indian-origin global health expert as its 1st Chief Executive Officer(CEO) or inaugural CEO. He will take charge on January 1, 2021. Anil Soni as a CEO will expedite the work of WHO Foundation to invest in innovative, evidence-based initiatives that support WHO (World Health Organisation) to deliver on its mission to ensure healthy lives and improve well-being for everyone.
- Which two Indian cites have been inscribed by UNESCO to its world heritage cities under urban landscape city programme in December, 2020?
1) Gwalior and Orchha
2) Gwalior and Sagar
3) Sagar and Orchha
4) Jabalpur and Raipur
5) Madurai and Thanjavur
Answer-1) Gwalior and Orchha
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has inscribed the fort cities of Gwalior and Orchha in Madhya Pradesh (MP) in its world heritage cities under urban landscape city programme. This was informed by the state government of MP. With this Inclusion the total number of UNESCO World Heritage Cities of India will increase to 40.
- UNCTAD Investment Promotion Award by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) for 2020 was won by which Indian entity?
1) Confederation of Indian Industry
3) India Brand Equity Foundation
4) Invest India
Answer-4) Invest India
On 8th December 2020, “Invest India” won the 2020 UNCTAD Investment Promotion Award by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). The award was presented at the award ceremony organised at the headquarters of UNCTAD, Geneva, Switzerland. The UNCTAD presented the award to Invest India recognising its best practices like Business Immunity Platform, Exclusive Investment Forum webinar series, its social media engagement and focus COVID-19 response teams. Invest India won the award among 3 winners in 2020.
- The Book “Romancing Targets: Get Closer to Selling in 7 Steps” was authored by ______.
1) Lynda Gratton
2) Nidhi Vadhera
3) Rakesh Khurana
4) Rashmi Bansal
5) Radhakrishnan Pillai
Answer-2) Nidhi Vadhera
Nidhi Vadhera, India’s first woman on sales authored the book titled “Romancing Targets: Get Closer to Selling in 7 Steps”, which shows a systematic approach to achieve the targets through 7 effective steps, which were examined and explained in the book. The book was published by Success Gyan Publishing and launched in December 2020.
- Dennis Ralston died at the age of 78 is an international Hall of Fame in which sport?
On 7th December, 2020 Five-time Grand Slam doubles champion Dennis Ralston died at the age of 78. He was the highest ranked American Tennis player for three years and got inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame 10 years after his retirement.
- Justice GR Udhwani, died due to COVID-19, he is the sitting judge of ______.
1) High Court of Gujarat
2) High Court of Madras
3) High Court of Delhi
4) High Court of Allahabad
5) High Court of Hyderabad
Answer-1) High Court of Gujarat
On 6th December 2020, Justice GR Udhwani, sitting judge of Gujarat High Court passed away at the age of 59 at a private hospital in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. He died due to COVID-19. He was born on 25th November, 1961 in Ahmedabad. During the career of 30 years he served as additional judge of special Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) court and was confirmed as a permanent judge in the High Court in July 2014.
- Where is Shaheed Ashbakh Ullah Khan Prani Udayan zoo located, one of the MoEFCC approved Zoos along with Safari of Rajgir Zoo in Nalanda, Bihar?
1) Nalanda, Bihar
2) Panaji, Goa
3) Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh
4) Jamui, Bihar
5) Deoghar, Jharkhand
Answer-3) Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh
On December 7, 2020, The 37th General Body meeting of Central Zoo Authority (CZA) chaired by Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), Prakash Javadekar granted recognition to 2 New Zoos – Rajgir Zoo Safari in Nalanda, Bihar & Shaheed Ashfaque Ullah Khan Prani Udyaan in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- By March 2022, 2000-MegaWatt (MW) Hydropower Project would be commissioned on Subansiri River. Subansiri River is a tributary of which river?
1) Lohit River
2) Kameng River
3) Teesta River
4) Brahmaputra River
Answer-4) Brahmaputra River
Public Sector Undertaking NHPC stated that the 2, 000 MegaWatt (MW) Hydropower Project on Subansiri River would be commissioned by March 2022. The project is located near North Lakhimpur on the border of Arunachal Pradesh and Assam. The project was delayed due protests by Many groups in Assam. Subansiri is a tributary of Brahmaputra River.
- Name the initiative launched by Mastercard, National Institute for Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (ni-msme) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in India to create awareness about digitization for MSMEs.
1) Digital Saksham
4) DigiDhan Abhiyaan
Answer-1) Digital Saksham
On December 7, 2020 Mastercard, National Institute for Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (ni-msme) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) entered into partnership to launch Digital Saksham, a capacity building initiative to drive awareness about digitization for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSMEs) in India. Under this 3-year project, more than 3 lakh MSMEs will be trained to adopt digitisation.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Where is the headquarters of Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) located?
Headquarters of Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) is located at Noida, UP.
- In the given options, which country is not a member of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)?
The member countries of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- Which is the capital of Romania?
Bucharest is the capital city of the country of Romania. It is the largest city in the country.
- Who is the director of the UNESCO World Heritage Centre in December, 2020?
1) Christina Cameron
2) Audrey Azoulay
3) Irina Bokova
4) Mechtild Rossler
5) Henrietta Holsman Fore
Answer-4) Mechtild Rossler
Mechtild Rossler is the current director of UNESCO World Heritage Centre in December, 2020.
- Who is the Chairman and MD of NTPC Limited in December, 2020?
1) Gurdeep Singh
2) Shashi Shanker
3) Amitabh Chaudhry
4) Shikha Sharma
5) Aditya Puri
Answer-1) Gurdeep Singh
Gurdeep Singh is the Chairman and MD of NTPC Limited in December, 2020.