AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 8 September 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) has partnered with which company to empower AIM start-up innovators?
3) Freshworks Inc.
5) Help Scout
Answer-3) Freshworks Inc.
In a virtual programme, Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), a flagship initiative set up by the NITI Aayog, has partnered with Freshworks Inc., a customer-engagement software company to provide robust support to innovators and entrepreneurs in India. AIM has also collaborated with ScooNews, one of India’s largest education media houses to share and spread inspiring stories of grassroots innovations.
- According to Ernst & Young report, India’s agriculture technology has the potential to grow at _______ in next 5 years.
1) $14.7 billion
2) $24.1 billion
3) $35.6 billion
4) $29.9 billion
5) $32.4 billion
Answer-2) $24.1 billion
According to a report by Ernst & Young, India’s agriculture technology has the potential to grow at $24.1 billion in next 5 years. The report also stated that with a turnover of $204 million, India’s Agri-tech sector is at under 1% of its market potential.
- Which state/UT government has relaunched 10-week anti dengue campaign named “10 Hafte 10 Baje 10 minute”?
4) Jammu and Kashmir
Government of Delhi relaunched the 10-week anti dengue campaign “10 Hafte 10 Baje 10minute” to create awareness on the prevention of the vector borne diseases – dengue and chikungunya among the common people.
- The Eurasian foundation organized the Indo Russian Young Scholars International e-conference 2020 recently. Where is the HQ of Eurasian foundation located?
2) Washington, D.C
Answer-2) Washington, D.C
Eurasian Foundation organized the Indo Russian Young Scholars International E-conference 2020 on “India-Russia domestic and bilateral development” from 3rd September 2020 to 5th September 2020 over a virtual platform. 2020 marks the 20th anniversary of the Declaration of Strategic Partnership between India and Russia. It also marks 75th anniversary of victory day of Russia. Eurasian Foundation: Headquarters – Washington, DC, United States of America.
- Which city was announced as the 1st World War II Heritage City by US president Donald Trump?
2) San Francisco
3) New York
US President Donald Trump announced Wilmington in southern US state North Carolina as the first World War II Heritage City at a ceremony held to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II.
- The Transnet Port Terminals (TPT) in South Africa partnered with which company for logistics supply chain transformation?
1) Tata Consultancy Services
3) Cognizant Technology Solutions
4) Tech Mahindra
5) None of the Above
Answer-1) Tata Consultancy Services
Transnet Port Terminals (TPT) in South Africa, a part of Transnet SOC Ltd, a state owned freight transport and handling company, partners with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) to develop an integrated online logistics marketplace platform “Cargo Connect”. This first of its kind portal in Africa will bring together all the cargo owners, shipping lines, clearing and forwarding agents and road or rail haulers.
- The Assam State Rural Livelihood Mission has signed MoU with which small finance bank recently?
1) Northeast Small Finance Bank
2) Utkarsh Small Finance Bank
3) ESAF Small Finance Bank
4) Janalakshmi Small Finance Bank
5) Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
Answer-1) Northeast Small Finance Bank
Assam State Rural Livelihood Mission (ASRLM) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Northeast Small Finance Bank (NEFSB) to bring the Self-Help Groups (SHGs), producer groups and enterprises under banking network. This is the first among all State Livelihood Missions to initiate signing of MoU with new generation small finance banks. The MoU was signed by Utpala Saikia, State Mission Director, ASRLM and Rupali Kalita, Managing Director cum Chief Executive Officer (CEO), NESFB.
- Who represented India at virtual G20 education ministers meet hosted by Saudi Arabia?
1) Amit Shah
2) Narendra Modi
3) Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
4) Ram Nath Kovind
5) Nitin Gadkari
Answer-3) Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
As a part of Sherpa Track for the G20 (group of twenty) Leaders’ Summit 2020, which will be held at the end of 2020, the current chair of G20 i.e. Saudi Arabia hosted the virtual G20 Education Ministers Meeting from Riyadh (Capital of Saudi Arabia) to discuss and share experiences of member countries in the three identified areas viz. Education Continuity in Times of Crises, Early Childhood Education and Internationalization in Education. The meeting was chaired by Saudi Arabia’s Education Minister Dr. Hamad Al-Asheikh where India was represented by Union Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Ministry of Education. The focus of the meet was Fostering 21st Century Human Capabilities.
- Union Defence minister Rajnath Singh has attended the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) defence ministers meet held at which city?
2) New Delhi
The Union Minister Rajnath Singh, Ministry of Defence (MoD) paid a 3-day visit to Moscow, Russia from September 3-5, 2020 to attend a meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Defence ministers and to hold talks with his Russian counterpart Sergey Shoigu on further boosting bilateral defence cooperation.
- Which Indian state ranked top in the Ease of Doing Business (EODB) ranking 2019 released by Ministry of commerce and industry’s DPIIT?
1) Arunachal Pradesh
3) Uttar Pradesh
4) Andhra Pradesh
Answer-4) Andhra Pradesh
Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman has virtually announced the 4th edition of State Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP) Ranking for 2018-19 which was released by Department of Industrial Promotion and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of commerce and industry. In accordance with that, Andhra Pradesh (AP) topped the Ease of Doing Business (EODB) ranking 2019, followed by Uttar Pradesh (UP) and Telangana at 2nd & 3rd place respectively. Among Union Territories (UTs), Delhi bagged the top spot.
Rank State 1 Andhra Pradesh (AP) 2 Uttar Pradesh (UP) 3 Telangana States/UT with least ranking (29th) are: Arunachal Pradesh (AR), Chandigarh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Odisha, Sikkim and Tripura.
- INDRA NAVY-20 is the military exercise between India and which country (11th edition held at Bay of Bengal)?
5) United States
The 11th Edition of bi-annual, bilateral Maritime Exercise INDRA NAVY – 20 between Indian Navy and Russian Navy was conducted successfully from September 4 to 5. The Exercise was conducted in Bay of Bengal, close to the Strategic point of Strait of Malacca. Due to the Pandemic, INDRA NAVY-20 was undertaken in a ‘non-contact, at sea only’ format.
- India has finalized the AK-47 203 rifles deal with which country recently?
5) Saudi Arabia
Rajnath Singh had a meeting with his Russian Counterpart Gen. Sergey Shoigu during which he appreciated the support provided by Russia in response to India’s defence and security needs. Both nations also finalised a major deal for manufacturing AK-47 203. The AK-47 203 is the latest and most advanced version of the AK-47 rifle, which will replace the Indian Small Arms System (INSAS) 5.56×45 mm assault rifle. Both nations also finalised a major deal for manufacturing AK-47 203 rifles in India. The Indian Army has a requirement for around 770,000 AK-47 203 rifles, of which 100,000 will be imported and the rest will be manufactured in India as a part of the joint venture Indo-Russia Rifles Private Limited (IRRPL), established between the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), the Kalashnikov Concern and Rosoboronexport, the Russian state agency for military exports.
- India successfully tested Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) using the indigenously developed Scramjet Propulsion system recently. Which organization developed the HSTDV?
1) Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC)
2) Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
3) Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
4) National Space Informatics Centre (NSIC)
5) National Development Centre (NDC)
Answer-2) Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully tested Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) using the Indigenously developed Scramjet Propulsion System in its second attempt. The Technology will be very critical as it will play an important part in developing hypersonic cruise missile systems being developed by DRDO. The HSTDV is designed to cruise at Mach 6 speed (or six times the speed of sound), and the test was conducted from Dr Abdul Kalam Island off the Odisha Coast. India has joined the elite club of the United States, Russia and China to develop and successfully test Hypersonic Technology. HSTDV has been developed by DRDO with help from the UK, Russia and Israel.
- Name the social justice and empowerment minister who launched the mental health rehabilitation helpline named “KIRAN”?
1) Hardeep Singh Puri
2) Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
3) Thaawarchand Gehlot
4) Dharmendra Pradhan
5) Rao Inderjit Singh
Answer-3) Thaawarchand Gehlot
In order to provide relief and support to persons with Mental Illness, Thaawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment has launched the 24×7 Toll-Free Mental Health Rehabilitation Helpline “KIRAN” (1800-500-0019). The Helpline has been developed by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment. It was launched considering the increasing incidence of Mental Illness, particularly in the wake of COVID-19 Pandemic.
- The scientists of which institute has developed a neural-based practical approach for automatic interpretation of 3D seismic data?
1) Center for Environmental Planning and Technology
2) Center for Environmental Nuclear Research
3) National Environmental Engineering Research Institute
4) Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology
5) None of the Above
Answer-4) Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology
A neural-based (machine learning-based) practical approach for automatic interpretation of 3D seismic data, has been developed by the scientists from Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology (WIHG), an autonomous Institute under the Department of Science & Technology (DST). This 1st of its kind approach was developed by computing a new attribute called meta-attribute.
- The Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) is contributed by which space agency to India’s first mission to the moon, Chandrayaan-1?
1) Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
2) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
3) Centre National d’étudesspatiales (CNES)
4) European Space Agency (ESA)
5) China National Space Administration (CNSA)
Answer-2) National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
New research paper titled “Widespread hematite at high latitudes of the Moon” published on Science Advances reviewed the data from the Moon Mineralogy Mapper Instrument (M3) of Chandrayan-1 orbiter of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and found the Hematite (iron oxide or rust) at the high latitudes of the moon. Shuai Li from the University of Hawaii was the lead author of the research paper. M3 is a VNIR imaging spectrometer that collects reflectance data between 0.46 and 2.98 μm at spectral resolutions of 20 to 40 nm and spatial resolution samplings of 140 to 280 m per pixel in global mapping mode. It was built by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) of National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Southern California.
- Cricketer Ian Bell who announced retirement recently played for which nation cricket team?
1) West Indies
3) South Africa
5) New Zealand
A 38 years old England Cricketer Ian Ronald Bell announced retirement from Professional Cricket. He was the second player after Ian Botham to be involved in five Ashes series wins. Ian Bell has represented England in 118 Test Matches, 161 One Day Internationals (ODIs), and 8 Twenty20 Internationals (T20I).
- Name the person who has won the 2020 Italian Grand Prix.
1) Peter Arundell
2) Carlo Abate
3) Michael Schumacher
4) Pierre Gasly
5) Julian Bailey
Answer-4) Pierre Gasly
French Driver Pierre Gasly won the Italian Grand Prix for his Racing Team Alpha Tauri. This was maiden Formula One win for both Pierre Gasly and his racing team Alpha Tauri. Lewis Hamilton was dominating until he was penalized.
- Jiri Menzel who passed away in September 2020 is a renowned ________.
3) Film Director
Answer-3) Film Director
Jiri Menzel, director (film & theatre), writer and actor of Czech Republic (its short-form Czechia) passed away at the age of 82 after battling serious health issues. His 1st feature film, ‘Closely Watched Trains’ won an Academy Award (Oscars) for Best Foreign Language film in 1968. He was born in Prague, Czechoslovakia on 23 February 1938.
- Kesavananda Bharati who passed away recently is a ________.
2) Film Maker
3) Sand Artist
5) Spiritual Leader
Answer-5) Spiritual Leader
Kesavananda Bharati Swamiji, a petitioner of the historic judgement of the Supreme court on the Fundamental Rights case passed away at the age of 80 in the Edneer Mutt, Kerala due to cardiac and breathing problems.
- When was the 1st edition of UN’s International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies is observed on (Theme: Clean Air for All)?
1) July 18, 2020
2) September 7, 2020
3) October 7, 2020
4) November 3, 2020
5) December 7, 2020
Answer-2) September 7, 2020
The United Nations’ (UN) 1st International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies is observed on September 7, 2020 across the world to emphasize the need for further efforts to improve air quality, including reducing air pollution, to protect human health. The day also highlights that air pollution is now the biggest environmental threat to health, but it is preventable. Theme for 2020- “Clean Air for All”. The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) during its 74th session adopted the resolution (A/RES/74/212) on December 19, 2019 to hold the day. UNGA also invited the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) to ease the observance of the day, in collaboration with other relevant organizations.
- Which edition of Rashtriya poshan maah being celebrated in the month of September 2020?
The 3rd Rashtriya Poshan Maah is being celebrated in September 2020 to address the problem of malnutrition among women and young children. Every year Poshan Maah is celebrated all over the country under POSHAN Abhiyaan, launched in 2018.
- The scientists at Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute (JNTBGRI) has identified a new & rare species of climber “Pothos boyceanus” in Western Ghats. The JNTBGRI is located at which state?
4) West Bengal
Scientists of Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute(JNTBGRI) from Palode of Kerala, have identified a new and extremely rare climber named “Pothos boyceanus” after Peter G. Boyce, expert on ‘Araceae’ of Southeast Asia. The discovery of Pothos boyceanus by G. Rajkumar, Nazarudeen Ahammed, T. Shaju, and R. Prakashkumar, Director of JNTBGRI was published in Taiwania, international journal of biodiversity. The discovery was made during a floristic survey of the Western Ghats in the evergreen forests of Valara, Iddukki at Kerala.
- Which country has recommended the name ‘Haishen’ for Typhoon?
Typhoon Haishen made landfall over southern Japan on September 6, 2020, becoming the country’s second landfalling typhoon within a week. Japan’s meteorological agency has referred to the tropical storm as “large” and “very strong”. The JMA numbers typhoons in Japan and the first typhoon to occur after January 1st of the year is called typhoon number 1. While in the US, hurricanes are referred to by English names, the intergovernmental organisation called the Typhoon Committee (Cambodia, China, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Japan; Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Macao, China, Malaysia, the Philippines, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam and the United States of America), which has 14 members including Japan uses Asian names for typhoons that are contributed by the member countries. Haishen was a name recommended by China and means “sea god” in Chinese.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- The archaeological site at Sadikpur Sinauli of which state (Badhpat district) have been declared to be “national importance” by the Archaeological Survey of India?
1) Arunachal Pradesh
3) Uttar Pradesh
4) Andhra Pradesh
Answer-3) Uttar Pradesh
The archaeological site and remains at Sadikpur Sinauli in Uttar Pradesh’s Baghpat district where evidence of the existence of a warrior class around 2,000 BCE was discovered in 2018 have been declared to be of “national importance” by the Archaeological Survey of India.
- P. Bharathan Nair who is in news recently is associated with which sport?
Two sporting greats, Olympian long jumper Anju Bobby George and the late volleyball international P. Bharathan Nair, now have roads in their name in their hometown Changanassery. The Changanassery Municipal Council passed a resolution recently to name the roads after the two stars.
- Jayakwadi dam is built across which river?
1) Narmada river
2) Krishna river
3) Godavari river
4) Bhima river
5) Tapi river
Answer-3) Godavari river
The gates of Jayakwadi Dam in Paithan district were opened on September 8, 2020 night following heavy rainfall in the catchment area. Jayakwadi dam is an earthen dam located on Godavari river at the site of Jayakwadi village in Paithan taluka of Aurangabad district in Maharashtra, India.
- Asola-Bhatti Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which state/UT?
Asola-Bhatti Wildlife Sanctuary lies at the far southern edge of the city of Delhi, at Asola near Tughlaqabad in the Delhi National Capital Territory of India.
- The Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology is located in which city?
Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Dehradun, Uttarakhand is an autonomous research institute for the study of Geology of the Himalaya under the Department of Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India.