AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 8 December 2020 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2020 updates.
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has initiated the “Quarterly Return filing & Monthly Payment (QRMP)” scheme under the GST System for small taxpayers with turnover up to –
1) Rs. 10 Crore
2) Rs. 1 Crore
3) Rs. 2 Crore
4) Rs. 15 Crore
5) Rs. 5 Crore
Answer-5) Rs. 5 Crore
On December 5, 2020, the Central Government in exercise of the powers conferred under sub-section (1) of section 39 read with sub-section (7) of section 39 of the Central Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (12 of 2017) has initiated the “Quarterly Return filing & Monthly Payment (QRMP)” scheme for small taxpayers under the GST System whose aggregate annual turnover of up to Rs 5 crore in the preceding financial year. The notifications for the same were issued by Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC).
- Which Railway station in Uttar Pradesh (UP) has been renamed as “Maa Barahi Devi Dham”?
1) Subedarganj railway station
2) Chungi Pratapgarh Railway station
3) Basti Railway Station
4) Dandupur railway station
5) Amroha Railway Station
Answer-4) Dandupur railway station
The Government of India consented to change the name of Dandupur railway station located between Pratapgarh and Badshahpur on the Varanasi railway section, Uttar Pradesh(UP) as “Maa Barahi Devi Dham”. Following the consent of the central government Chief Minister (CM) Yogi Adityanath also approved the name change.
- Which department has made it compulsory to mention the 8 digit HSN (Harmonised System of Nomenclature) code for 49 chemical based products
1) Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
2) Narcotics Control Bureau
3) Customs, Excise and Service Tax Appellate Tribunal
4) Income Tax Department
5) Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
Answer-1) Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
On December 1, 2020 The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs(CBIC) made it compulsory for a registered person to mention the 8 digit HSN (Harmonised System of Nomenclature) code or tariff code for 49 chemical based products at the time of issuing Goods and Services Tax (GST) invoice. It is to be noted that this is the first time a specific category of suppliers is mandated to use 8 digit HSN Code on every invoice irrespective of the aggregate turnover. This is effective from December 1, 2020.
- Karnataka state government has laid foundation stone for Waste to Energy Plant at _____.
Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa on Wednesday laid the foundation, remotely, for a waste-to-energy (WtE) plant at Bidadi, being developed by Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd (KPCL). The plant is expected to be operational by the end of 2022 and is set to be the first WtE plant in the State.
- Who has returned his Padma Vibhushan Award in protest to the Farm Bills?
1) Chhannulal Mishra
2) Sir Anerood Jugnauth
3) Parkash Singh Badal
4) M. C. Mary Kom
5) Manoj Das
Answer-3) Parkash Singh Badal
Former Punjab Chief Minister and Shiromani Akali Dal patron Parkash Singh Badal has returned his Padma Vibhushan award in protest against what he termed as the “betrayal of farmers” and indifferent attitude adopted by the BJP-led Central government towards the ongoing farmers protest against agriculture laws.
- Which country become the first to approve the sales of Lab-grown chicken meat by US based start-up “Just Eat”?
3) South Korea
Singapore has given US start-up ‘Eat Just’ the permission to sell its lab-grown chicken meat. It has also become the world’s first government to give such approval. This lab grown meat is also termed as clean meat and is not procured by killing animals.
- In the “IUCN World Heritage Outlook 3” report regarded, India’s _____ region to be under significant concern
3) Western Ghats
4) Achanakmar – Amarkantak
5) Gulf of Mannar
Answer-3) Western Ghats
In accordance with the new report by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) namely “IUCN World Heritage Outlook 3”, India’s Western Ghats, inscribed by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) in 2012 as a natural world heritage site, is threatened by population pressure, urbanization and climate change. The site is regarded as of significant concern.
- On the 63rd United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs (UN-CND), which has been removed from the “Most Dangerous Drug” category.
In the Ongoing 63rd session of the United Nations Commission on Narcotic Drugs (UN-CND), Cannabis has been removed from the “Most Dangerous Drug” category. It is removed after UNCND voted to remove cannabis and cannabis resin from Schedule IV of the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, decades after they were first placed on the list. Out of the 53-member CND, 27 member states voted in favour including India, US and most of European Nations and 25 members against.
- In December 2020, which state government has launched “Mera Covid Kendra” to locate covid-19 testing centers in the state?
1) Madhya Pradesh
5) Uttar Pradesh
Answer-5) Uttar Pradesh
On 5th December 2020, Yogi Adityanath, Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh launched a mobile application “Mera Covid Kendra” or “My Covid Centre” to locate free COVID-19 testing centres in the state. The app was developed by the department of health and family welfare. The app is aimed to provide support to people to get information about the public and private testing lab located within 5 kilometers.
- India’s first diversified REIT (Real Estate Investment Trusts) Mutual Fund was launched by, _____.
1) Aditya Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund
2) Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company Limited
3) Motilal Oswal Asset Management Company Limited
4) Franklin Templeton Mutual Fund
5) ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund
Answer-2) Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company Limited
On December 7, 2020, Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company Limited (KMAMC) or Kotak Mutual Fund launched India’s first diversified REIT (Real Estate Investment Trusts) Mutual Fund namely “Kotak International REIT Fund of Funds”. It is an open-ended mutual fund scheme that will invest in units of SMAM Asia REIT Sub Trust Fund to provide long-term capital appreciation and income. The SMAM Asia REIT Sub Trust Fund is one of the largest Asia Pacific (Excluding Japan) REIT funds investing in listed REITs in the Asia Pacific region. It is managed by Sumitomo Mitsui DS AMC Limited headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
- What is the name of the new mobile app launched by ICICI Bank in December,2020 offering payments and banking services to all of its customers?
1) M-Connect Plus
2) iMobile Pay
4) Go Mobile+
Answer-2) iMobile Pay
On December 7, 2020, ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India) Bank launched “iMobile Pay” app offering payments and banking services for all i.e. customers of any bank can use this app. Bank claims that, iMobile Pay is 1st of its kind app. It has all features of payment apps like scanning of QR (Quick Response) code for making payments, sending money to any UPI ID, bank account, self, instant transfer of money free-of-cost to any bank account, payment app or digital wallet.
- Who has been named as the “Asian of the Year”, 2020, for his contribution in fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic?
1) Chen Wei
2) Adar Poonawalla
3) Jake Pang
4) Ooi Eng Eong
5) Zhang Yongzhen
Answer-2) Adar Poonawalla
Adar Poonawalla, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Serum Institute of India (SII) was named as 2020 “Asians of the Year” along with 5 others by The Straits Times, Singapore’s leading daily for their contribution in fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic. SII collaborated with University of Oxford and AstraZeneca for making COVID-19 vaccine ‘Covidshield’ (under trials phase in India).
- The theme of 2020 edition of IIT Global Summit organized by PanIIT USA is
1) Technology Disruptions
2) The Future is Now
3) Entrepreneurship 360
4) Education in Pandemic
5) Technology in Crisis
Answer-2) The Future is Now
On 4th December, 2020 Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually addressed the World’s largest virtual Summit- IIT-2020 Global Summit on the inaugural day of the summit. The 2-day summit (4th & 5th December) is organised by PanIIT USA.The summit is chaired by Sanjiv Goyal & Co-chaired by Witty Bindra. Theme of the IIT-2020 Global Summit – “The Future is Now”.
- Which Indian Warships participated in the two-day long Passage Exercise (PASSEX) between Russian Federation Navy (RuFN) and Indian Navy (IN) held from 4 to 5 December 2020?
1) Shivalik and Varyag
2) Pechenga and Kadmatt
3) Varyag and Vikramaditya
4) Shivalik and Kadmatt
5) Admiral Panteleyev and Pechenga
Answer-4) Shivalik and Kadmatt
On the occasion of Indian Navy Day i.e. December 4, 2020, a two-day long Passage Exercise (PASSEX) 2020 between Russian Federation Navy (RuFN) and Indian Navy (IN) was held from 4 to 5 December 2020 in the Eastern Indian Ocean Region (IOR). The Indian side was represented by 2 warships viz. indigenously constructed guided missile frigate Shivalik and anti-submarine corvette Kadmatt along with integral helicopters.
- What is the name of 24 multi role Helicopters, on which Indian government has placed order to the US firm Lockheed Martin?
1) MH-60 Romeo
2) Sikorsky R-4
3) Boeing CH-47 Chinook
4) Bell UH-1 Iroquois
5) Piasecki H-21
Answer-1) MH-60 Romeo
American firm Lockheed Martin for the first time shared the first picture of the MH-60 Romeo multi-role helicopter for the Indian Navy in Indian colors. India has placed orders for 24 of these helicopters under a government to government deal.
- What is the name of Satellite launched by China National Space Administration (CNSA), as a part of China’s High-Resolution Earth Observation System (CHEOS)?
2) Landsat 8
3) Pleiades 1B
On December 6, 2020, China National Space Administration (CNSA) successfully launched Gaofen-14, a New Earth Observation Satellite from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre (XSLC) in Southwest China’s Sichuan province. The Satellite was sent into orbit by Long March-3B/G5 Carrier Rocket. This was the first use of the G5 version of the Long March-3B launch vehicle which features a longer fairing.
- India’s Indigenously developed Howitzer, Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) developed by DRDO has a strike range of _____
1) 100 Kms
2) 150 Kms
3) 75 Kms
4) 50 Kms
5) 30 Kms
Answer-4) 50 Kms
On December 6, 2020, The Indigenous Howitzer (known as Artillery Guns)- Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) developed by DRDO (Defence Research & Development Organization) underwent Trials at Ahmednagar, Maharashtra. The Howitzer has a strike range of around 50 Kms. DRDO partnered with Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), and private companies Bharat Forge Limited, Mahindra Defence Naval System, Tata Power Strategic Engineering Division and Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) for the project.
- First rock samples from beneath the surface of Asteroid ‘Ryugu’ was collected by which spacecraft?
1) Rosetta, ESA
2) Pioneer 11, NASA
3) Hayabusa 2, JAXA
4) Ulysses, NASA and ESA
5) OSIRIS-REX, NASA
Answer-3) Hayabusa 2, JAXA
On December 6, 2020, A small capsule containing First rock samples from beneath the surface of Asteroid ‘Ryugu’ landed at Woomera in South Australia, it was released by Japanese Spacecraft Hayabusa 2. The samples are expected to provide clues regarding the origin of the solar system & life on our planet.
- Which space agency has launched its 21st Commercial Resupply Services mission (CRS-21) to International space station(ISS) recently?
On 6th December 2020, SpaceX launched its 21st Commercial Resupply Services mission (CRS-21) to International space station(ISS) from the Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at Kennedy Space Center, Florida. The launch was supported by Falcon 9 first stage rocket booster. This is the first flight of the updated cargo version of Dragon, which is capable of carrying about 20% more volume than its previous version. The new dragon cargo ship is designed for 5 flights to and from the ISS.
- Who became the youngest athlete ever to be named as the World Athletes of the Year, recently in 2020?
1) Mondo Duplantis
2) Yulimar Rojas
3) Sifan Hassan
4) Angelica Bengtsson
5) Renaud Lavillenie
Answer-1) Mondo Duplantis
On December 5, 2020 Pole Vaulter Mondo Duplantis of Sweden was named as the male World Athletes of the Year (2020) and Triple Jumper Yulimar Rojas of Venezuela as the female World Athletes of the Year (2020) at the World Athletics Awards 2020. Mondo Duplantis, who is 21 years old is the youngest athlete ever to be named as the World Athlete of the Year. He is also the first Swedish man or woman to win the award.
- Who became the First Indian to win a Formula 2 race during the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix?
1) Zaamin Jaffer
2) Karun Chandhok
3) Narain Karthikeyan
4) Yash Aradhya
5) Jehan Daruvala
Answer-5) Jehan Daruvala
On December 6, 2020, Mexico’s Sergio Perez (Racing Point BWT Mercedes) won the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix (officially known as the Formula 1 Rolex Sakhir Grand Prix 2020) held at ‘Outer Circuit’ configuration at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, Bahrain. Indian Driver Jehan Daruvala became the First Indian to win a Formula 2 race during the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix. He hails from Mumbai, Maharashtra. He drives for Carling Racing.
- In December 2020, Half Marathon World record timing was attained by _____.
1) Andamlak Belihu
2) Kibiwott Kandie
3) Rhonex Kipruto
4) Moses Kibet
5) Eric Kiptanui
Answer-2) Kibiwott Kandie
Kenya’s Kibiwott Kandie smashed the World Record by completing the 13.1 Mile Marathon in 57 minutes 32 seconds at the 2020 Valencia Half Marathon Trinidad Alfonso EDP held at Valencia, Spain. With this, Kandie overtook Geoffrey Kamworor’s (Kenya) record of 58.01. He also became the First person to finish the Half Marathon in 58 minutes. Jacob Kiplimo (Uganda) came second while Rhonex Kipruto of Kenya finished Third.
- Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank, the Union Education Minister presented an inspirational book ‘Pioneer of Humanity: Maharishi Arvind’ about the life of which Indian Philosopher?
2) Jitendra Nath Mohanty
3) Adi Shankara
4) Sri Aurobindo Ghosh
5) Kumarila Bhatta
Answer-4) Sri Aurobindo Ghosh
On December 5, 2020 Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank, Union Education Minister presented 1st of his inspirational book ‘Pioneer of Humanity: Maharishi Arvind’ (In hindi- ‘Manavta ke Praneta Maharishi Arvind’) to President Ram Nath Kovind at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. The book is about Sri Aurobindo Ghosh (Maharishi Arvind), an Indian philosopher, yogi, guru, poet, and nationalist.
- In December, 2020 Tabaré Vázquez passed away, he was the First Socialist President of which country?
On December 5, 2020 Tabaré Vázquez (Tabaré Ramón Vázquez Rosas), former president of Uruguay passed away at the age of 80 in Montevideo, Uruguay due to lung cancer. He is the 1st Socialist President of Uruguay. Later he became the member of Broad Front party. He served as the president for 2 terms (2005-2010 and 2015-2020). He was born on 17th January 1940 in Montevideo, Uruguay.
- Veteran Actor Ravi Patwardhan passed away at the age of 84, he acted in which Indian language movies?
On 5th November 2020, Veteran Marathi Actor Ravi Patwardhan well known for his role in Aggabai Sasubai passed away at the age of 84 at a private hospital in Thane, Maharashtra. He has acted in numerous plays and has starred in more than 200 films in Hindi and Marathi.
- The United Nations (UN) International Civil Aviation Day is annually celebrated on _____
1) December 02
2) November 30
3) November 29
4) December 05
5) December 07
Answer-5) December 07
The United Nations(UN) International Civil Aviation Day is annually celebrated across the globe on December 7 to help create and strengthen worldwide awareness about the importance of international civil aviation to the social and economic development of countries. The day also aims to create awareness about the role of International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in promoting the safety, efficiency and regularity of international air transport. International Civil Aviation Day theme for 2020-2023 is “Advancing Innovation for Global Aviation Development”.
- Government of India has decided to celebrate December, 2020 as “Gaurav Maah” (Pride month) to honour the contribution of _____.
1) Armed Forces
2) Indo- Tibetan Border Police
3) Indian Navy
4) Border Security Force
5) National Disaster Response Force
Answer-1) Armed Forces
The Armed Forces Flag Day is annually observed across India on 7th December to honour the martyrs and the men and women in uniform who protect the honour of the country. The first Armed Forces Flag Day was observed on 7th December 1949. The Government of India has decided that December 2020 will be celebrated as the “Gaurav Maah” (Pride Month) to honour the contributions of armed forces and its veterans. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, presided over the 2nd Edition of the Armed Forces Flag Day Corporate Social Responsibility(CSR) Conclave which was organised on 4th December 2020.
- Maharashtra state has approved the declaration of 10 new Conservation Reserves (CR) & 1 New Wildlife Sanctuary (WLS), rising the count to 50 WLS, which is the new WLS?
On December 5, 2020, Maharashtra’s 16th State Board of Wildlife (SBWL) meeting headed by Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray approved the declaration of 10 new Conservation Reserves (CR) & 1 New Wildlife Sanctuary (WLS) in Maharashtra. Kanhargaon in Chandrapur district was declared a Wildlife Sanctuary making it Maharashtra’s 50th Wildlife Sanctuary.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Which is the first established Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)?
1) IIT Bombay
2) IIT Delhi
3) IIT Madras
4) IIT Kharagpur
5) IIT Ropar
Answer-4) IIT Kharagpur
Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) are the premier autonomous public technical and research universities located across India to provide world class Technical education. First Established IIT in India is IIT Kharagpur, West Bengal in 1951.
- Where is the Headquarters of International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) located?
1) Zurich, Switzerland
2) Berlin, Germany
3) Gland, Switzerland
4) Paris, France
5) Strasbourg, France
Answer-3) Gland, Switzerland
IUCN has observer and consultative status at the United Nations and plays a role in the implementation of several international conventions on nature conservation and biodiversity. Its headquarters is located in Gland, Switzerland.
- Who is the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of ICICI Bank?
1) Prashant Kumar
2) Atul Kumar Goel
3) Sandeep Bakhshi
4) Aditya Puri
5) Deepak Parekh
Answer-3) Sandeep Bakhshi
Mr. Sandeep Bakhshi is the Managing Director and CEO of ICICI Bank since October 15, 2018.
- Who is the current Chairman of Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) in December, 2020?
1) G. Satheesh Reddy
2) Kailasavadivoo Sivan
3) Avinash Chander
4) K. Radhakrishnan
5) A. S. Kiran Kumar
Answer-1) G. Satheesh Reddy
Dr G. Satheesh Reddy is an Indian aerospace scientist and the current Chairman of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Secretary, Department of Defence R&D, Government of India and Director General, Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA). He is the Chairman of DRDO since 1999.
- Who received the Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award 2020, for his contribution to the literary works of India?
1) Prakash Javadekar
2) Ram Vilas Paswan
3) Sanjay Shamrao Dhotre
4) Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
5) Prahlad Singh Patel
Answer-4) Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Union Minister of Education received the Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award 2020 for his contribution to the literary works of India. The award was presented to him by the Vatayan-UK organization in London, England. The Vatayan-UK felicitation ceremony organised as a virtual event by the British Institution Group in England.
- Disputed Sumdorong Chu Valley borders which region?
1) Uttarakhand and China
2) Assam and Bangladesh
3) Bhutan and Sikkim
4) Arunachal Pradesh and Tibet
5) Himachal Pradesh and Tibet
Answer-4) Arunachal Pradesh and Tibet
In 1986–87, a military standoff took place between India and China in the Sumdorong Chu Valley bordering the Tawang district, Arunachal Pradesh and Cona County, Tibet. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar recalled the 1986 standoff which took almost nine years to resolve, while speaking on why ongoing negotiations between India and China could take much longer.